CHAPTER NINE

The Archer

CHAPTER NINE

 

Halfway to the marshlands, Luhan’s heightened senses caught a distant sound of hooves and neighs of horses. Upon perceiving danger he gave Chen what he was carrying and took the scabbard of the younger, much to the latter’s confusion.

“What are you doing?”

“Somebody’s coming, if somehow they started attacking, I want you to run.” Luhan ordered, pulling the hood to cover his face some more.

“You want me to leave you alone?!” the younger exclaimed, shaking his head, “No I—“

“Chen, listen! The chance of me winning if they attack us, if they were Nazaeles or Zambrians is low considering I am going to use sword and not bow,” he hissed, just in time five horses came into view, with soldiers from Zambria mounting it.

Two of them went down, “We’re looking for somebody, King Jurgraf’s orders, and if you don’t resist and let us check your belongings you’ll be free.”

 

Luhan remained silent, covering the younger with his own body. When a guard tried to come closer, it took every ounce of his strength not to slit their throats. One of the soldiers checked the goods that Chen was holding before they nodded, saying that he’s clear.

However when they turned to him, who was now holding a sheathed iron sword, with a bow attached on his back, they exchanged knowing looks.

“Remove your hood,” the soldier said. Luhan remained impassive, not doing as he told. He had the feeling that the news had finally made its way to the royalty.

“I said remove your hoo—“ Luhan didn’t allow the soldiers to finish because the other soldier had drawn his sword, ready to point it on his jugular  and he wasn’t going to let himself be threatened—so he wield his weapon dodging the impending attack.

Alarmed, the other soldiers went down just in time Luhan ordered the younger to run.

 

He knew it, he was whom they’re looking for.

 

“It was him!” the other said, seeing the bow on his back as they exchanged blows. The sound of blade against blade and the splashes of the mud against their boots filled the air. And Luhan didn’t know why he was moving as if someone was guiding his arms.

Luhan felt that he wasn’t alone when he swung his weapon. And just like that, suddenly, he saw a translucent arm, clad in white sleeves just against his own, hands hovering over his that was holding the sword.

Then the breeze of the wind blew in the midst of nowhere. Luhan felt it surrounding him, not knowing why this felt so nostalgic.

“Do you trust me…?” echoed a voice behind him. He was far too concentrated to the fight to recognize the voice that he had only heard in his dream.

“What?!” he barked.

“I need you to let go. Let them take you…”

“Are you insane—ah!” Luhan was distracted with one soldier trying to slash his flesh that he didn’t see the attack from behind. One of them had hit his head with the handle of the sword—followed by another hit on his neck that took his consciousness away.

The last thing he saw was an outline of a body, against the wind.

 

 

 

 

When he opened his eyes it was when he felt something was splashed on him. The first thing he saw was the wet cemented ground. There was a man clad in maroon robe, head held high and looking down at him like he was some kind of dirt he wanted to get rid right away. The glimmering gold ring on his head and the royal emblem of Zambria was enough for the silver head to know who he was.

He was the beginning of everything. The reason why his family was dead.

“You…” he rasped, “You are the root of this!!” he screamed. He tried to lunge at the man, forgetting that two soldiers were holding him down on his knees on both sides. But it didn’t stop him from struggling. “Why did you do it? What have they done to you that you just have to murder them?!”

 

“Are you even in the right place to put all the blame on me, Halkovian?” the king asked—monotonous and cold. “Do you even know…what your so called family had done to mine?!”

Jurgraf cupped the man’s jaws, tilting it up to get a good view of his face since the dungeon was dark, only lit by a few torches hanged on the wall.

But right after he did, he felt like throwing up. Right when he saw the shape of the young man’s eyes, nose and lips, even the contour of his face, the king took his hand like he had touched electricity. Horror painted on his face, followed by a series of no coming out from his lips.

“It couldn’t be…” he said, taking a step back. “It’s impossible.”

“Are you alright your majesty?” One of his royal advisors asked, who was behind him all this time.

Luhan was still locking gazes at the king, while the latter was wavering.

“I am fine…” he said, taking a deep breath. His glare was back, like Luhan was the most despicable thing he had ever laid his eyes on.

“Lock him up here and let him starve to death. Don’t give him water or any food, are we clear?!” Was the last order he said before leaving the dungeon.

Stumbling inside his chambers, the king ordered for no one to disturb him. Sitting on his bed, King Jurgraf looked up at the portrait hanged on the wall of his room. It was impossible—for that young lad to be the splitting image of his daughter…

It was impossible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the four cornered cell, with his knees pulled up against his chest, head resting against the cold and damp walls of the prison, Luhan could only pray for Chen to find the rest. Wondering how they are tonight, he tilted his chin up to the small window—the only source of light of his cell. The torches were put away, and perhaps only the entrance of the dungeons has it—where the guard was sitting, snoring in his duty.

With arms wrapped around his shins, a soft sigh escaped the silver head. His eyelids getting heavier as he blinked, and before he knew it, he was washed away with his dreams.

 

In his dream, he was standing in the middle of the green forest, towering trees and mist surrounding him. The gigantic roots had covered up the soil he was standing on.

Just then he heard footsteps, and distant cackles.

Coming closer—

“Sehunnie! I’m flying! I’m not afraid of heights anymore!”

“Keep going Luhan!”

 

A dash of white caught Luhan’s attention, whipping his head up, looking at the see-through image of a young boy, no older than seven or six, leaping through the gigantic trees’ branches. The boy had a bright smile on his face, his curly light blonde locks bouncing as he jumped from one branch to another. He seemed so entranced by doing it that he had been careless the next minute, slipping from the moist matter and falling.

However he didn’t touch the ground, for there was a vague figure appeared under the boy, catching him just in time.

The figure’s outline was undefined, as if it was dragged on into a mist-form. However, Luhan could see the silver hair of that man, and that all too familiar pants and robe…

 

“That was close…” giggled the boy

“You’re doing so well, Luhan…I’m so proud of you…”

 

He was this close to touching the man’s back that was him, when suddenly the image changed, the forest was long gone, and now he was by the riverbank, looking at the boy a few feet in front of him, crouching by the water, shoulders shaking and throwing pebbles on the water.

Luhan was sure that this boy was the same boy earlier…

Same light blonde locks, same tattered gray clothes, stained with blood and dirt, yet he looked younger, shorter...

 

That man came from nowhere again, walking close to the boy. His back was dragged into a mist forming blue and sparkling lights…

He crouched beside the boy, reaching out carefully, “… little boy…” the man said, “please look at me… I know it’s been hard on you…”

“Danna thamir!”  [Don’t touch me!]

“Little boy!”

 “Ka shi dan tu nadda!”[That’s not my name!]

“I know!” the man pulled the boy in his arms, gentle hands wrapping around the thin frame as the kid cries. “I know you’re hurt little boy, but I will help you…I’ll help you, you hear me little boy?”

“They killed… they killed nana…they killed happa… a-and s-shise—Shise… died too…shise died because of me…“

“No…no he didn’t… he protected you little boy…because he loves you…”

 

Shise? Brother ? Luhan frowns not getting the kid, the boy was talking about blood, about death, and he could see the pain through those gray eyes, and even if Luhan wanted to ask him, what was his name, he knew that it was useless.

He knew that boy… he knew those eyes…

 

“Little boy, what is your name?”

“L-Luhan…”

 

The boy sniffed, clutching the man in white’s robe as he buried his wet face on his neck. The man whose back was still him carried his younger self. “Luhan…” his voice so tender, so sweet, the boy began whimpering, “Luhan my name is Sehun…”

The man turned around, rubbing the kid’s back comfortingly, giving him a good view of those long lashes that framed his cerulean eyes, his perfectly sculpted nose in between those high cheek bones. Luhan traced those features down, to the thin rosy lips, moist and plush…his soft silver hair down on his forehead, dancing with soft breeze of the wind.

 

“Sehun…”

 

The image once again vanished, but this time it didn’t came once, but it was like flood suddenly pouring. His childhood memories with Sehun, the one who took care of him right after he had seen his mother’s head roll on the ground, maimed body dropping on the ground.

The one who showed him the wonders of the world, making him forget all the bad memories, all the pain.

Sehun who asked him to splash water over and over with his palm, with him thinking that it was kind of a game, but actually a training to teach him archery.

Sehun who gifted him a bow and a hundred arrows to play with, teaching him how to hit trees in yards’ distance going further, until the target was like a dot of star from him.

Sehun, who always stayed behind him whenever he draws the shooting string, his arms hovering over his smaller ones, his voice near his ear, reminding him to breathe, to clear his mind.

 

Sehun who taught him not to fear heights, to trust the wind whenever he shoots, that if he believed, the arrow would be guided by the element on his will—Sehun who most of the times, shifts into a very beautiful white wolf, too tall for a young Luhan—the one that the kid loves to cuddle during night.

Sehun who… cried for him, when that bad man surrounded him with raging fire, tried to burn him—Sehun, the man he had grown attached with, the one who saved him from that fire, and the one who brought him in the plateau of Halkovian tribe, during full moon, cradling the injured younger Luhan in his arms, who had burns on his arms and back… barely breathing and blinking.

“Luhan…Luhan please…don’t die on me…”

“Sehun…”

“Luhan,” the wolf cried… “forgive me… I failed to protect you from my brother…”

“H-Hun…Sehun…”

Sehun shook his head, taking the young boy in his arms, “I love you Luhan—but you’re not safe with me…I have to leave you…I’m sorry…”

“D-don’t…” the injured boy cried in the wolf’s arms, “Don’t take my memories…Sehun…”

“I have to…I have to Luhan…it’s the only way for Chanyeol to stop hunting you…” The wolf’s eyes glowed, his teeth elongated behind those thin lips.

 “No…no please Sehun don’t leave me…”

“But no matter what… you’re my only other half…” gentle caress on his skin wipes the tears away.

 

Luhan finally remembered that night when those pair of teeth had dug its way into his flesh, finally remembered that during those painful moments, the image of Sehun slowly washes away from him, their memories together, the laughter, the joy, they all began to fade away.

And he was watching them all come back right now, watching as if he was the moon witnessing how Sehun cried out loud, howled that night while hugging the limp body in his arms, how that young boy’s soft light blonde locks started turning silver, how the burns on his skin fades away as the venom of the wolf spreads in his body.

Without knowing that little butterfly tattoo on his back was formed. Luhan watched Sehun’s hands grip his body before he put him down on the doorstep of one cottage, in the village where Luhan grew up…

With one last kiss on his forehead, Sehun whispered I love you,

“I will guide you as you grow my beloved…”

The wolf turned into mist, sparkling lights of sapphire mixed with the wind.

 

 

 

 

He woke up with a jolt, panting and perspiring all over. The cellar was still dark as when he had closed them, but this time, he doesn’t feel cold—

And what was once hard and damp wall became soft and warm and—

“Luhan…”

The said man stood up abruptly, turning to the faint outline of the man who was sitting behind him. In faint light of the moon, he saw that face again, the face he had only seen in his dreams, in his past.

He didn’t care if he’s crying right now because he had seen him after a long time, or if he’s finally able remember who Sehun was, and the times they had spent together.

“Where the heck have you been… you inconsiderate wolf…” he began, sobbing like a child. “Where did you go after taking my memories and disappearing with them, leaving me with nothing to hold on to but that bow and arrow you left me with?! Huh?!“

“Sh…sh… I know Luhan—I am sorry—but I have never left your side I was always there with you but I didn’t let you see me…”

“Why?! Why was it necessary Sehun…?”

“Like I said it’s the only way for me to protect you…But now Chanyeol has made up his mind Luhan. And I can’t protect you like this anymore…so—“

“So you decided to give them back? What is my memories for you?” he growled as the man stood up, walking closer to him—he was the same just as he remembers him. “A ing toy?” He jabbed the man on his chest, “I only had you—“ he screamed, not caring if the guards hears him, “I only had you and you left me—in the hands of strangers—how could you call me your mate if you left me alone Sehun—“

 

Just like then, Sehun wrapped his protective arms around him, Just like then, Luhan buried his wet face in the man’s neck and sobbed like a child. “I was only seven back then…I needed you back then…”

“I was wrong—alright, I am taking the blame Luhan,” he whispered. “But I don’t regret doing so, because it hid you from Chanyeol’s wrath. Before you lashed out on me, please consider that everything that I do was for you…” he combed his locks tenderly

“Bringing you here was also a part of my plan…”

This alarmed the smaller male, going  “Plan…? What Plan?”

“Luhan you still don’t know the real story…behind this war…” Sehun’s voice was laced with something akin to regret and sympathy. “Kai left out the important part of the past…”

Luhan steps back and placed an arm length distance between them, frowning.

“This time Luhan I will protect you with the truth… and not with ignorance.” Sehun promised. “But for now, please rest, And I will send a message to my brother to tell them that you’re safe here with me…”

 

 

 

 

 

Chen was biting his lips as he stared down the embers, eyes puffy from crying and lack of sleep. It was past midnight and he still couldn’t close his eyes. He shouldn’t have run and left Luhan. What if they killed him already? Surely they would find out that he is a Halkovian with one look—

And it would be his fault if Luhan dies.

Yixing has been telling him that it wasn’t his fault. Telling him that Luhan would be fine. But he will not be reassured until he sees Luhan in flesh, alive and breathing.

 

 

Just then they heard a distant flapping, so loud that they deemed it coming from a large bird.

Kai was the first one to get up, Yixing and Kyungsoo awakened from the sound as well. When they looked up they found a huge pure white eagle, one that wasn’t seen every day even in the deepest forest of Alfaran—

It landed on Kai’s forearm, making a sound before flapping its wings again, glowing in blue light.

 

Brother, Luhan’s safe with me. Please take refuge once Suho has reached you. Full moon would be tomorrow night—and Chanyeol is planning to burn Zambria first before taking Eldama and Nazael.

“How did you know about that?”

I am everywhere brother, I hear everything through the wind. Let’s meet in the East, the Halkovian Plateau, tomorrow noon. Until then Luhan and I had something to do first.

“L-Luhan is with you?” Chen stumbled on his way beside Kai.

Chen—it’s me…I am fine! Don’t worry. Just stick with them alright?

“Is that—Sehun with you right now?”

Yes…

We’ll talk later, we’ve got to go,

The other voice said before the white eagle turned into blue mist and disappears.

Kai turned and looked at the three of them… “Kyungsoo… I think he’s going to tell Luhan…”

Yixing and Chen frowned, not catching up, “Tell Luhan what?”

“The truth why Baekhyun died…” Kyungsoo muttered, looking down,

“Baekhyun he… he saved Luhan from the prince’s death blade, Baekhyun died protecting his five years old brother…That night when the Halkovian race was massacred, Luhan lived because Baekhyun sacrificed his life for him. And that memory…that was the memory Sehun didn’t take away from him… Luhan decided to forget it himself”

 

 

 

 

 

a.n.

 

Dun dun dun dun....

alright i want some comments please ? XD

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS COMING? OMG. i'm going crazy right now.