chapter 3

Exceptional

To be honest,I don't know what have I done with this story....Somehow, I feel the plot is kinda shaky and unfocused. What should I do?


 

The students in class 3-1 watch their homeroom teacher enters into the class with a so familiar blazer in his arm. That young teacher places his belongings on the table and faces the class with a set smile on his handsome face.

                “Do you know anyone who has been missing blazer lately?”

Moon skips the greeting and going straight to the real business.

                “Maybe it’s from the other class?” a student guesses.

                “Probably. But the thing is, I already ask the other two classes. And apparently they don’t know either. If you’re not going to confess too, then we are safe to assume that a stranger had snuck into our school, right?”

                “What is the wage of confessing? Did someone do crime with that blazer on?” asks another student sceptically.

                “Nothing. I found this blazer somewhere. So I need to return it back to the owner, right? Plus, I just need to confirm that there is no random stranger slip into school compound by disguising as one of you,” Moon replies rather indifferently - try to play the passive aggressive card to lure the owner out.

However, the students are still unconvinced with the reason given and suspecting that something big must had happened regarding that blazer for the teacher to diligently go out of his way to find the owner of a piece of clothing.

Then the class turn into a commotion where hushed chatters and random guessing start to be exchanged across the classroom.

A figure, so composed and stoic just leans back against his chair and watches with his cold stare as the commotion starts to break.

Isn’t Soo Yoon return to class without his blazer the other day?”

 “Yeah, when you mention it, I just remember about it. So you think it’s Soo Yoon’s?”

“Soo Yoon, that cool clever kid? Never would thought someone as perfect as him would do something to risk his reputation”

“Soo Yoon-“, “Soo Yoon-“, “Soo Yoon-“,…

The name is traded across the class until it reaches Moon’s ear. But the boy still sits on his seat unflinching as if nothing had happened.

                “So Soo Yoon, is this blazer yours?” the grey blazer is raised high so Soo Yoon who sits at the further back could see it. Although the dude can distinguish the blazer perfectly from where he sit.

                “Yes, it is,” answers Soo Yoon deliberately. Few gasps follow.

                “If you want to have it back, you need to see me after school,” instructs Moon.

                “Well if you can’t see, I already got –“ the boy is cut off with a more strict instruction from Moon.

                “You want to have it back.” Moon insists.

                “Okay then.” Soo Yoon shrugs off.

 


 

The sturdy back of the Music teacher happens to be an interesting subject to Lea Kim’s eyes as a silly question pops into her head in that afternoon. It is quite strange for Lea to actually have an interest over a teacher – and a male one at that. But the musical lesson which she always question its existence in her timetable had her mind daunting from all the musical terms and notes she can’t comprehend that she opted for something lighter to think off. She is not entirely grossed by the idea of music though – in fact, she finds someone who can read musical notes and playing instruments are equally charming as someone who can explain about the entire theory of relativity and concept of singularity deal. But let’s just say technical stuff about music is not her thing. Her brain can’t process it well.

It has always been a quiz to Lea to why Kim Moonchul didn’t get as much hype as James from the girl students in her class. Since her first encounter with that man is not a very nice start, she doesn’t actually bat an eye at the teacher. But after a few weeks the both teachers are transferred to this school, she has noticed a major difference in treatment by the students between the two male teachers. Moon can easily collecting a few group of fangirls himself, that is unmistakably possible but the amount would be insignificant if he was compared to James.

 Honestly, if she were to compare the both men, she would find Moon’s appearance more captivating and exquisite than James although she wouldn’t deny that James beats Moon in terms of body fitness. But his body shape is actually not that far from complying the ideal body qualification. He got substantially some muscles around his body and despite his smaller body compared to James, he got quite a set of broad shoulder. His arms also appear thick and strong.

 If Lea was to admit something that has been dwelling in her thought for some time, she would die out of embarrassment. She actually finds Moon very attractive after so long observing him. Not only the physical appearance that seize her attention, but his carefree character and positive personality also makes Lea having her first teacher crush; and a crush for the first time all together.

Lea nearly throws her book out of the window out of shock as the male instructor suddenly spins around after writing the last words on the white board. Lea, who isn’t fast and lucky enough to change her focus point before the teacher caught her staring, is having an episode of conflictingly enthralling yet embarrassing moment in her life as their gazes are locked to each other. Moon looks directly into her eyes.

For a moment, Lea thought the world has stop spinning and the clock had stop ticking. Everything has gone out of her sight as if her sight field range had been reduced to only focussing on those pair of alluring brownish pools. She doesn’t even know anymore whether she still breathing or not at the moment. The said teacher also almost has the same reaction as hers looking at how speechless and aghast he is.

However the adult manages to break the daze first and continues teaching like usual. Lea draws in a large gulp of air quietly as though she just comes to the surface after diving for so long. When she feels the time had started to move back, so do her heart. Only that her heart is beating twice than its usual pace. She can feel the heat creeps to her neck that eventually manage reaching her cheeks.

                “Lea, are you alright? Your face looks red. Do you want to rest? Or do you need to go to the infirmary?” Moon asks with a questionably smug smirk on his handsome feature.

Lea thinks she cannot face the teacher or look in his eyes anymore. She really wishes that the teacher would ignore the incident and act like nothing ever happened between them. But much to her dismay, Moon seems to take this opportunity to tease the life out of her.

                “I’m…I’m okay,” Lea croaks, face go on full-red mode.

Moon feels like bursting from looking at the flustered expression on the usually calm girl but he succeeds in controlling his own expression. He actually was so thrown when he found out the fact that his subject of interest indeed is checking him out when he is not aware. He wonders if that girl has been doing this act all the while he is not watching? Moon thinks that it is a big improvement of him in knowing the girl better if he can makes the girl who hates human species to actually stare at him.

                “I want you to find a partner and practise to listen to the notes from the recorder that I distributed earlier. Then, your partner will help you with filling in the answer sheet. This will be your first assignment. Finish it before the class end. You may move now,” Moon announces.

The students scramble everywhere to find their preferred partner but mostly they would find their best friend to work together.

Moon sees movement around the class except for a particular spot beside the window at the right side of the class. The girl looks around with somewhat a hopeful face that someone would pick her. But everyone seems to pretend as if she is invisible. He feels bothered by the scene but he didn’t help nonetheless.

After everyone had found their partners and sit with each other, Moon heads to the table back. Only to be stopped by a raising hand.

Lea stands at her place, looking indecisively disappointed and embarrassed. It looks like the girl doesn’t has a partner yet. Or rather, she won’t have a partner because the class is odd in number.

Moon sees this as a perfect opportunity to talk to the girl casually.

                “You’ll be partnering with me, Lea,” Moon proclaims.

The shock in Lea’s face will always be gold to Moon.

 


 

What had she done for God to punish her this way? If someone is going to look into this situation, they would find it perfectly normal because the teacher is just helping the student who doesn’t get to pair up with anyone. From the expressionless look of the Music teacher itself, no one would ever arguing about his intention. He doesn’t look like he is kidding about partnering with her but the slight amused tone in his voice just tells a whole different story. Why did this man keep taunting her knowing that she is still ashamed by the scene just now? Lea feels like running away while pulling her hair off. This situation is really getting out of hand.

The guy pulls a chair in front of Lea’s desk and sits facing her. Indistinct whispering and jealous hissing are traded around the class. Lea couldn’t care less. What she cares in uttermost now is how fast her heart is beating that it deafening her ears and making her head dizzy.

Up close, the Music teacher is even more unearthly. Lea can’t focus on the recorder nor the difference in the musical notes when Moon blatantly staring at her with the mischievous look on him. She almost can feel the stare piercing through her head from the intense gazing.

                “Is there anything wrong, Lea?” asks Moon, smile ever wide.

Of course!

                “I can’t focus if you keep staring at me,” retorts Lea dejectedly.

                “Don’t worry. I’m not going to eat you alive even if my gaze displays such intention. At least I won’t sneak up behind you and staring at you like I’m trying to eat you,” Moon sneakily jeers her.

Wait! Why did he need to bring up that chagrin moment directly on her face?

She is about to rebuke his statement though she knows how pathetic she would look in front of him trying to deny the obvious. But she regrets it immediately when her eyes discover an explicit beauty that are Moon’s clear hazelnut-coloured irises. In that short moment before she quickly runs her gaze away, she manages to revise that pretty face at such close proximity.

Moon really has good complexion with only few old acne marks from his teen age marring his otherwise unblemished face. That guy is blessed with high cheek bone that accentuate his straight nose more which undoubtedly will make girl going green with jealousy at that perfect shape. And those unmistakably captivating eyes graced by a set of naturally fluttery eye lashes…she has loss words for that pair of wonder. She swears she can forever drown in those mesmerizing pools.

Ah…she must has gone crazy by now. How is it possible for her to come up with such brazen adjectives to describe her teacher? She totally acts way out of her character right now. Not to mention, what’s with the awkward, cheesy setting that would only exist in cheap teenager fiction going around here right now? Her brain is a mess.

Moon clears his throat.

“Joking aside, you need to finish this assignment before the class end. Better you start now. You’ve got only 10 minutes left.”

Lea hurriedly grabs the recorder and plays the tape. The distinct sound of a piano note resonates across the classroom along with other different piano notes that had been played repeatedly close to her. She doesn’t realize that the room actually was that noisy when she is too absorbed with staring at the older. But when she tries to listen to the note alone, she hears too many interference and disturbances to be able to distinguish the note precisely.

                “G3?” Lea bitterly guesses.

Moon simply shakes his head.

                “A3?” Lea tries again. Still getting the same answer from Moon.

                “Seriously, I can’t focus with this loud condition like this,” Lea frustratedly retorts. She could never work in that kind of atmosphere. What more with her lack of knowledge in these complicated musical field.

                “I would suggest you to close your eyes and listen to the tape again. That way, your sense would be sharper. That is, if you feel secure enough closing your eyes with me being around you,” Moon teasingly suggests.

Lea sceptically judges her teacher. Moon chuckles.

                “I won’t do anything, okay. I still need your answer sheet by today by the way,” Moon guiltlessly raises his hand a little, but not enough to be seen by the other students.

A small sigh escapes Lea’s mouth. She has no energy left to care about the trick Moon has up his white sleeve. She closes her eyes and tries to filter all unwanted noises that are not the sound she aims for. Surprisingly the method works pretty well. She can actually discern the note apart from other notes and she can almost imagine the position of the note on the piano. However, as her sense had become sharper, her nose also becomes keener to the smell surrounding.

At such close range, her nose unintentionally picks up the faint smell of Moon’s cologne. The light woody scent reminds her of a dim luxury bar with a suave bartender that will make your visit there pleasant. Consider the fact that she kind of allergic to male cologne, it is a magic that she actually get hooked by that smooth scent.

                “So what is the answer?” Moon’s voice chimes in the middle of the darkness.

With the smell giving strange effect to her poor heart, the male’s deep voice becomes more eminent to her than ever that it sends chill to Lea’s spine.

                “I’m sorry. I need to go to the toilet,” Lea hastily gets up from her seat and dashing towards the door without waiting for the other’s respond.

The other students watch Lea walking out of the class with a pale face. Moon, on the other hand, is dumbfounded by Lea’s action. Did he overdo it?

 


 

What was that just now, Lea? That’s insane!

She really need to check her head once she got home.  Her legs scurries away from the classroom but there is actually no exact destination in her messy head right now since the rooftop isn’t an option anymore. Suddenly, a particular secluded place at the highest floor; third floor comes into her mind. Luckily this school has so many shady areas that can morph perfectly into her sanctuary. Luckily she knows the location of all those shady areas. Her legs quickly make her way there.

As she heads to the stairs, she walks past James.

                “Lea?” James who recognizes Lea’s figure quickly calls her.

Lea turns around, shocked upon seeing her homeroom teacher as she didn’t notice his presence just now.

                “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in the class now?”

                “Uh – I’m going to the toilet,” Lea hesitantly responds.

James nods his head understand.

                “Oh – I forgot to say this earlier, but you need to write a report after every volunteering activity, including yesterday,” James grimaces as he himself finds the report thing as absurd and troublesome.

Lea simply nods her head as an acceptance. Writing will never been a trouble for her even for a petty cause as she finds freedom and full control of what she has in her mind when she is writing.

She bows a little before parting ways with the teacher. James watches as Lea’s back disappears behind the wall. He has to admit, Lea’s nature perplex him in a way that he wants to know about it more. If he is to give the task to another student, they would definitely decline it directly. Some of them might even complain to high heaven or cry in frustration.

 


 

Beside the vending machine, there is a secluded place on the corner where Lea would occasionally visit in her rare time. She is not very fond of that place because it makes her look like some high shabby homeless on drug pestering the roadside in some odd position. However, this hideaway is the safest refuge she can find in this school no matter how awkward the position is because basically the students had forgotten about third floor where the library takes most of the space on that floor despite the existence of the vending machine. So the chance of meeting a student; or a teacher at that is low.

Lea sits there folded leg. She closes her eyes in hope to numb the feeling away. Moon’s flirtatious face appear in her vision. That sly smirk, that heady eyes, that eyebrows and everything about him come off very provocative towards her heart. They always have their ways to make her heart tingle with weird affection. And she hates that foreign feeling. She hates something that she doesn’t have the full knowledge and comprehension about as she doesn’t know what to expect in the future. It scares her to not have the control over her feeling and mind.

She couldn’t neutralize her feeling this time. It has grown too big before she even realizes it.

She squatting down on the corner with her head in her hands. She feels like her head would burst in any moment from her trying to take Moon’s smug face out of her mind.

                “Are you okay?” asks a male voice.

Lea instantly turns to the voice’s direction.  “You?”