His Lady, Her Act: 1

L Chained (His Lady. Her Act)

There’s this word that makes my friend bug the hell out of me.

Love.

To the innocent ones, it’s a fairytale dream. To those more mature ones who are already familiar with the real face of life hidden behind a mask of beautiful illusions, it’s simply a concept that everybody wants to have and own yet hard to grasp and fully understand. To me, it’s an annoying imagery, especially when people start ranting about it.

Just like that one time when we’ve watched a movie and the story ending became the reason for the early arrival of the rainy season. I’m not sure though if how much pail of tears they’ve shed, but rather than giving them comfort, I actually pity them. But, which idiot taught you that an ending always have the word happy attached before it? Obviously, in the real world we’re living in, they’re not always in pair, never received in a package deal, so don’t take stories with bitter endings to heart. I’d rather cry now than believe and hold on tight then cry a river after giving trust that on a person who doesn’t take it seriously.

--

“All I ever wanted was, to get your attention, and affection. Even a simple glance would suffice. Just one word would be enough to make my day. Sungjae, please accept this gift of mine, I personally chose this for-”

Idiot.

“Being rejected personally wasn’t enough, so you decided to pick today’s lunch hour to attract a bigger crowd. Way to go Bomi. I suppose, you’re thinking that, I would change my mind and accept your confession whole-heartedly just because all eyes are on us. Is that right?”

Lee Sungjae, elder of the Lee twin brothers, and not only because of being an heir to well-known shoe company, but due to the mysterious aura surrounding him paired up with his cold demeanor, makes anyone feel like looking on a special gift wanting to be unraveled.

“Sungjae, don’t be so mean to the girl, bet she’s put effort on-”

“Oh shut up Sungjong, as far as I know, anyone could just buy whatever’s inside that lunchbox. She said so herself, she personally chose it, not made it. I didn’t know putting it inside that crappy-looking lunchbox would take so much effort.”

Lee Sungjong, despite being Sungjae’s twin brother, totally acts as his opposite. If Sungjae resembles the winter that could mesmerize you and get you frozen on the spot, Sungjong resembles the warm summer that could melt your worries with a simple smile. Unlike his older brother, he’s a people-person, who’s willing to cheer anyone up if he can, and his biggest goal so far is to crack his twin using his own jokes, but it seems that he has a bigger chance of getting an A in math than seeing his brother smile genuinely.

Seeing that the said girl was on the verge of her tears, Sungjong immediately pulled Sungjae’s free hand, the other playing on lasagna, to get his full attention.

 ‘’Jae, please just accept her gift, that won’t do you no harm. Besides, it’s just this once.”

“Once I accept that gift of hers, what do you think would the others that I rejected would react. And, that would just feed her ego, she might end up boasting about it on the school halls, and that would probably end up in either of the two scenarios: being tortured by those self-proclaimed fan girls of ours; or her showing up her true colors and start demanding more of my attention. So before you try to help someone, make sure that they actually need it, that they deserve it, or simply because it’s a life and death situation. A simple rejection won’t kill her so stop taking her side.”

Even after seeing the girl cry her heart out, he simply doesn’t care. Guess it’s his nature, after seeing their father left broken by their mother, and his twin brother left by his first love for someone who’s manlier and cooler, being attached to anyone seems out of his to-do list at the moment. Girls are pretty and sweet, they could be cute and fierce, and simply catch you with their charms, but to Sungjae, they're simply the embodiment of the word lies and deception.

“If you want to be the Good Samaritan, then go and comfort her. Do whatever you want, but I’m out of here.”

Sungjong keeps his gaze on his brother until he can’t see him no more, he felt sorry for the girl who is now wailing because of humiliation, yet he can’t force himself to get angry to his twin brother.

No one else understands Sungjae better than him.

---

“Well, you’ve returned early from school, I suppose there has been an early dismissal? If it’s just because you got lazy and decided to skip your classes, that wouldn’t be a good report to your parents.”

His cold gaze meets the other’s tough gaze. Both seems hollow at first look, yet when you focus well, you could see the depth in both pair of eyes, that it seem to drown you the longer you look straight at them.

“Then don’t include this in your report, if you really don’t want to upset them, problem solved.”

“Oh, but I’d rather see them upset. That would be a nice birthday gift.”

Jung llsoon, servant of the Lee family, acts as a butler, a bodyguard, chef, maid, and whatever the members of the family want her to do. You can simply put it as, being a life-long loyal slave. Though she’s doing it willingly and efficiently not because she owes something to them, nor because their families have a close knit with each other, it is simply because she’s got no choice, and nowhere to return to.

Why she ended up with this work, that’s a tale to tell for another day.

Her sly smile irritates Sungjae more that he’s skinning her alive in his mind. Yet, that’s the worst he could do, simply killing her in his imagination.

“Know what? You’ve already cut your hair short, you dress and move like a guy, but  your vibe as a girl still shows, and I hate it.”

“The feeling is mutual. Anyways, once Master Sungjong has arrived, I’ll tell you two the details of your parents’ and sister’s whereabouts. So, be patient until tonight, okay?”

“As if I care about them.”

“You’re still angry because of your father’s second marriage, aren’t you? Well, we both bear grudges to certain people that still affect us despite of that person’s absence in our present lives. Isn’t it nice that I hate your family’s existence too? I’m gonna check on the kitchen, see you around Master Sungjae.”

I hate you Ilsoon. Acting all tough but I know you still got a soft spot, being a girl, poor you, you belong on the top of my list for those who I dislike the most.

--

‘’Welcome home, young master.’’

‘’Aye, no need to speak in such formalities, you’re always making the atmosphere awkward for me.’’

‘’Well, master Sungjong you got two options, wait until you’ve become the real head of the household for your orders to have weight, or simply leave me to do my work in peace.’’

‘’Tss, llsoon is serious as usual. I still need to wait for over 20 years for that to happen and by that time-‘’

‘’I’ve already thrown her out of the house and out of our lives.’’ His twin brother’s tone added to the gloom starting to take over his bright smile earlier.

‘Sungjae, mean and bitter as usual. What’s with these people living under the same roof but are in such cold relationship.’’

When llsoon first arrived at the mansion, she’s already 12, while the lee twins were only 6. She was too skinny and full of bruises, her eyes dull and her skin pale, while the boys were bright, healthy-looking and full of life.  Since then, she already despise them, knowing that one day, no matter what innocence they still have in their youth, it will easily dissipate once they come of age and treated as the future heirs by their father. And after all that happened with her life she tried to work-out, she already learned tons of lessons she’ll only come across facing such harsh realities, and trusting easily is not on that list.

‘’llsoon, were both in our senior year now and graduation is just around the corner, what do you think fits us for college?’’

‘’That’s for the young masters to decide.’’

‘’Hmmp, always addressing us as young masters when sooner we’ll already be adults. ‘’

‘’You’re just 16 young master, no need to be in a hurry. Enjoy your days as a youth and show that child within you until you have time. You don’t know how much busy you’ll be once you’ve reached the right age.’’

‘’Aren’t you younger than us now when you’ve became a part of our family? You were already busy by then. Right, your birthday’s this Saturday right? I’ll treat you to that café that you said was really great.’’

‘’ Sungjong, stop treating her as a family, she’s just a servant, nothing more, nothing less.’’

‘’But Sungjae, we always didn’t have the opportunity to put up a party for her because father wouldn’t allow such a thing, but they’re not here now, so it’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate!’’

‘’Stop that childishness, act like a real Lee for once. Keep in mind what father always told us.’

‘’What? The words never associate ourselves with those of lower status than us for it would only bring us harm? That’s just his personal ideals, not ours, and my decision is not to take it by heart. ’’

‘’Master Sungjong, would you mind if I speak my own opinion?’’

‘’Of course I don’t mind at all. But stop calling me master!’’

‘’Master Sungjae is right; I am nothing, but a loyal servant to the Lee family. And you, greeting me every year is already enough and as good as any material gift, so there’s no need for such celebration.’’

‘’Alright, this conversation is finished, llsoon just said her mind and it’s an agreement to what I’ve said.’’

‘’But Sungjae -!’’

‘’No buts. Ilsoon, you’ve called us to give us a report about their whereabouts right? Then start immediately. I’m all ears.’’

He’s not even addressing them properly. Such a brat.

‘’You’re always mean to me Jae! You’re even worse than father.’’

‘’Stop whining like a schoolgirl Sungjong, and if you couldn’t act properly as what your last name suggest you to do, then just shut up.

But that attitude of him, and his brother’s opposite personality, makes this work and plan more exciting and worth playing. Hoo, got more work to do.

 

 

 


*Chapter 1 done! No idea when will my next update be so I hope this is enough for your feels for now. Annyeong!