Chapter 3

Be My Lovely Husband

Myungsoo stared aimlessly through the cracked door that held the dining room where his relatives chatted endlessly. Even though he spent the afternoon with Sungyeol figuring out a story, he still wasn’t ready yet. He ran through everything in his head and messed with the newly bought ring that laid on his finger. Sungyeol stood behind him with his nose scrunched as he did the same.

“Ready?” Myungsoo hand rested on the handle and Sungyeol straightened his suit and nodded. Myungsoo took a deep breath and opened up the door.

All chatter stopped and it became dead silent as all heads turned towards the door where Myungsoo and his husband stood. They both stepped in and Myungsoo closed the door behind him as they went to take seats at the dining table.

“Everyone.” Myungsoo cautiously began. “This is my husband, Sungyeol.” Everyone eyes turned to the new face that sat silently next to Myungsoo. The silence broke when his aunt spoke up. “Well, at least he’s cute.”

Sungyeol broke into a blush and raised his hand to cover his smile. “Ah, thank you.” He replied with a slight laugh.

Myungsoo’s mother stood and grabbed his arm and led him to the other side of the room where his aunts followed. His uncles and grandmother stayed at the table. That was where it began. The interrogation.

“How did you meet?” His mother folded her arms as she waited for a reply.

“I was at a café and Sungyeol accidentally spilled his coffee when we bumped into each other. We then met again on the street where we collided again and I accidentally gave his a bloody nose.” Myungsoo spoke and his mother looked as if she didn’t believe him at all. His aunts shook their head.

“What happened after that?”

“Ah. His nose wouldn’t stop bleeding so I took him to the hospital and they helped him out. We exchanged numbers, I paid the bill. We spoke more after that, started to date, and now,” Myungsoo rose his left hand to make his ring visible. “Are married.”

“Phone please. “ She held out her hand and Myungsoo reached in her pocket to give it. She opened up his contacts until she reached one that read, ‘My Love, Yeol <3’

She clicked it and a phone started to ring across the room until Sungyeol voice projected through the phone and across the room. Sungyeol turned with his phone still to his ear and an awkward smile on his face. He hung up his phone and pocketed it before Myungsoo’s grandmother interrogated him more.

Myungsoo’s mother turned back to him. “Why was there no wedding?”

“We just got registered at the court house, you and dad would’ve made a big deal. You know, eomma.” He chuckled. He took his mother’s hands in his and squeezed them. “I would’ve invited you but Sungyeol didn’t want it to be big, I also didn’t. So we just registered. Sorry, eomma.” He apologized with his best aegyo.

“I guess you’re fine.” She finally smiled and they walked back towards the table. “Everyone, stop.” All eyes turned to her.

“I’d like to welcome my new son-in-law!” She announced and everyone clapped, faces happy and pleased at the addition to the family. “Good, I like this one.” Myungsoo’s grandma laughed as she pinch Sungyeol’s cheeks and his face contorted in pain.

“Grandma! Don’t hurt him.” Myungsoo pouted and ran to Sungyeol as he prepared his best acting skills. “Are you okay? Don’t get hurt, okay?” He said with a concerned tone and Sungyeol caught the message. “I won’t, because I’ll be in pain and you’ll get sad. Ii don’t like you sad.” Sungyeol cooed as he stared at Myungsoo affectionately.

Yes, Myungsoo thought. They planned this. While coming up with a story, they watched a drama and practiced a few scenes to make it believable. Based on everyone’s expressions now, it was working.

Scene 1, check!

For the first time since they arrived, Myungsoo’s father now spoke up. “Well, let’s eat.” Myungsoo smirked and Sungyeol gave him a happy smile.

They took their seats and everyone’s plates were already served. Myungsoo began to pick at his steak and pretended to not be able to cut it. Sungyeol jumped in and took his utensils, they proceeded to cut his steak. Myungsoo’s family watched intently as Sungyeol took a piece of the steak and fed it to Myungsoo.

Myungsoo chewed and paused to give Sungyeol a smile and Sungyeol smiled back as his returned the utensils to their owner.

Scene 2, check!

“So Myungsoo.” A voice across the table began and Myungsoo finally realized that person was here. His cousin, Sunggyu.

“Congratulations on your…marriage. It’s funny though, I just can’t seem to believe it.”

“Sunggyu.” Sunggyu’s mother, Myungsoo’s aunt, scolded.

“I’m sorry eomma, but it’s not believable. Right? Uncle?” He said as he turned towards Myungsoo’s father. “Remember, you said Myungsoo firmly opposed the idea of marriage when you first told him and said he didn’t want to be married. Six months later, he is here now with his ‘husband.’” Sunggyu explained using air quotes at the word husband. “It’s hard to believe, is all I’m saying. No offence to you, Sungyeol.” He shrugged innocently.

“We are married, I hope you know.” Myungsoo spoke up. “How dare you call our marriage fake?” Myungsoo was starting to stand and Sungyeol grabbed his arm to bring him back down while he shook his head. “Don’t.”

“Well, prove it. Prove you’re married.” Sungyeol smirked with his arms crossed. Myungsoo scoffed with a not-so-subtle eye roll. “I have nothing to prove to you. Do you need proof that you’re married? “Myungsoo retorted as he motioned at Sunggyu’s husband, Woohyun.

Myungsoo actually liked Woohyun, but Sunggyu was around him too much, they never really got to talk for long.

“I’m actually married, I had an actual ceremony, I actually knew Woohyun before our marriage. I can’t say the same for you.” Sunggyu said and Sungyeol’s patience had snapped. It visibly snapped because Sungyeol’s face contorted into a look of utter frustration. He was in a state being pissed off beyond extremes.

“You think he paid me or something? I’m not a gold digger or a rent boy!” He practically screamed and everyone flinched.

Myungsoo’s mother spoke up.

“Everyone, calm down. Sunggyu, you too.” She glared but Sungyeol continued.

“I love Myungsoo, Mr. Non-existent eyes!” Sunggyu gasped and his eyes disappeared even more.

“Oh really. At least my marriage is existent!”

That’s where it went to . Everything really, even the food. Things flew around the table as Sungyeol launched himself at Sunggyu and Sunggyu did the same as they clashed and Myungsoo’s mother screamed.

Myungsoo and Woohyun ran towards the two that rolled around on the floor shouting profanities and insults. Myungsoo pulled on Sunggyu’s leg and Woohyun Sungyeol’s leg as both shouted in pain. The two husband’s realized the other hurt their lover and began their own scuffle.

It all continued before booming sounded that made everyone stop.

“Stop this instant!” Myungsoo’s father commanded and the four immediately stood. “You four! Out!” He shouted as the four quickly ran out stopped outside the doors where they both glared at each other.

“Yah, Kim Myungsoo. I know it’s not real, I’ll find out. Just wait.” He said as he wiped at his lip and Sungyeol laughed. “Good luck because you won’t find anything. We’ll be leaving now, thank you.” Sungyeol grabbed on Myungsoo’s wrist for the hundredth time they’ve been together and walked away from Sunggyu’s endless shouts of, Kim Myungsoo.