Ignorance is Bliss

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: This will be on Minju's POV

One last lie. I convinced myself that this will be the last lie. I needed this, I just couldn’t back down now. Your family had already ruined everything. It's too late to give up now. I have nothing. I lost my mother, my unborn child, and most devastatingly, myself. 

I don’t know who I am. 

I don’t know who I’ll become once all of this is over. It pains me to admit that after planning for years and thinking I have figured out everything, I have no clue about what the future holds. Yet I hold on to the one thing that kept me going all this time, once I have exposed the lies that will destroy your family legacy everything will be worth it. It’s as if the grief that’s been haunting me for so long will be alleviated. 

“One last lie,” I repeated to myself. 

Monday had come sooner than what I had hoped for. You will be taking the mantle as head of the enterprise. I’m not a part of the board and couldn’t be there to witness it myself. You still offered me to come for the celebratory luncheon the company will be hosting. I wanted to decline, being around those people meant more lies. 

Those lies that meant nothing to me once has now tasted like bile each time I uttered it.

“You’ll be there at the luncheon, right?” 

You looked at me with those doe-like eyes and pleaded silently. I could see in them that you wanted to share your victory with me like old times. I was the first to look away and instead helped you zip your dress.

I pulled you into a hug once I was done with it. I studied your face and body from head to toe, admiring each part of you. I wasted too long hating you that I wish I could just forever look at you.

“You, my wife, look ethereal in this dress.”

I don’t know when I started calling you as my wife. It felt foreign to say it out loud with nobody to hear other than the two of us. Each time I admitted it to myself it felt more true.

“I know,” You smiled. “You still didn’t answer my question though.”

I slowly pulled away.

“It’s my first day back at the hospital, I don’t know if I can just leave. The chief of surgery won’t be happy with me.” 

I tried to keep my voice steady, swallowing the bitter taste that has come up to my tongue. 

You looked behind to face me but I walked away, choosing to sit on the ottoman instead and kept my eyes on the floor. It was easier for me to avoid seeing the confusion and possible pain in your eyes this way. 

“Your wife’s the CEO, what are they going to do about it?”

You kneeled in front of me. The ghostly feeling of your fingers as it caressed my cheek sent shivers to my skin. 

I shook my head slightly and tried to laugh. It came out awkwardly. I forgot how stubborn you could be if you really wanted something.

“I’ll try to be there but please don’t get your hopes too high.”

You smiled. “That’s enough for me.”

I smiled back upon hearing your reply. I gently put my hand over the one you had on my cheek. I pulled it to my lap and stared at the wedding ring on your finger. 

The white rock attached to the golden band shone blindingly each time a source of light touched it. I was the one who chose it considering you had no care when we were preparing the wedding. Even if I wanted to lie to myself I knew I chose the rings that we both would love. I chose it because even if it might mean nothing to you, I knew it would mean something to me. It may not be everything but it was something.

One day, you and I will get married again. We will truthfully say our vows. It won't be nothing or even something, it would mean everything to us. But that day isn’t today yet, I just still need a little bit of time.

“What?” 

The furrow of your eyes reflected your curiosity. 

“I’m just really happy for you.”

I tried to smile genuinely and it seemed to work.

“I’m happy too. It took me so long to be where I am today. I thought everything would feel different but strangely it didn’t.”

“Is that a good thing?”

Your eyes turned into crescents as you smiled. “To me it’s a good thing because maybe, continuing the legacy isn’t all there is for me to do. Because I have you now.”

I felt a heavy weight clinging on to me. My breathing became shallow. I felt like no amount of air would be enough for me. I tried to keep myself steady just until you have to leave.

“I’ll drop you off at the hospital.”

I shook my head with eagerness.

“No need, I’ll also need to drive myself to the luncheon if I will go.”

“Are you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter