Easiest Way Out

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I sat idle on my office chair. The black leather felt cool against my exposed neck as I leaned back. The low drumming created by the pen I’m tapping on the table fills the room. Most of the files in front of me are untouched and one single folder remains open. 

It’s a new contract.  

My moral’s been bothering me. It’s been telling me to just tear the paper and move along. Whispering to my ear that I will just get hurt. Antagonizing me that this isn’t the right way but if not this then what? 

All my doubts come into a halt when I see you waltzing towards my office. The glass panels I installed ensured me to see most of what’s happening outside my office. This includes people who come and go at the floor.

My secretary looked surprised but didn’t bother calling me because it’s you. 

You’re supposed to be my wife. Our marriage immediately gives you free access to everything I own. That involves free visits to my office without prior notice. Although, I did invite you. I just had a relapse and forgot to tell my secretary ahead of time.

A knock on the door  fished me out of my thoughts.

“Come in.”

You look quite timid as you enter.

“You can leave us be Ms. Im.”

The secretary closed the door. You slowly walked towards the small conference table I have in my office. I got up from my seat and settled on the conference table. I have the folder in my hand. Ignoring the subtle trembling of my hand I placed the folder in front of you.

Hazy memories of the first time I showed you a contract came to me. It’s just been a little over a month since that bitter incident. Like previously, you looked surprised and confused.

“This is another contract.”

You tilt your head to the side, showing your confusion. I opened the folder for you to have a look at its content. 

“Ch… Chaewon…”

I took a deep breath and released it swiftly. 

There's no more going back.

“I thought about what my father said. If I want to have the company then I need to take extreme measures.”

“Chaewon do you understand what this means?”

“I do. Do you think I would have given it to you if I thought otherwise?”

Your strained expression shows the discomfort you feel. However, what you feel no longer matters. It shouldn't have since the day you lied.

“Chaewon, you want me to conceive a child for you.”

I nodded my head as if our subject simply revolves around what food to order for lunch.

“In addition to that I would have to extend our marriage by a year.”

“Chaewon this is insane. You're better than this."

I met your softening gaze with an intense one. 

“This is not insane. I understand that my father wants me to secure an heir and I will. You will conceive a child to make this believable but I’ll be the one to raise them. Once the contract ends you will no longer be entitled to see the child nor be near them.”

My tone was vile yet clear. 

“I won’t do this.”

You dropped the folder back on the table. You sat back straight and your eyes looked challenging. You won’t back down without a fight.

“Minju don’t forget that you owe me. You owe me more than this.”

“I won’t let myself be used like this.”

I huffed.

“Guess what? You already did! The moment you signed the first contract you already let yourself be used.”

You shake your head.

“Isn’t the first contract enough?”

“Did you think that’s enough already? Did you think that by signing that first contract you already paid all your sins? Did you think that I forgave you already?”

My shouts resonated around the room. The only thing preventing our lies to be spread is the soundproof walls. 

Your composure seemed to fall. You resigned on your seat. When you looked up to meet my gaze your eyes were gleaming because of the tears threatening to fall. 

“Chaewon don’t you think this is preposterous?” 

I shake my head with finality.

“Chaewon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter