Reflect

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“How’s the pregnancy going?”

Like usual I’ve been spending a lot of time at Wonyoung’s place than anywhere else. Your pregnancy seems to be doing fine. I come to your doctor’s appointments whenever I can. As for the times I couldn’t, I heard from Wonyoung that Yujin comes with you instead. 

“The doctor says it’s okay but there’s some precautions.”

Wonyoung nods. I have a meeting early in the morning so I opted for coffee while she has a glass of wine. Winter is just around the corner so we’re sitting in front of her small fireplace. 

“Minju seems fragile.”

I look at Wonyoung.

“She doesn’t look like one to me though.”

Wonyoung shrugs and takes a sip of wine.

“I’m just saying. Having this right on your first try is too good to believe.”

I slumped on the chair and thought about what she said.

“Well maybe this is the universe’s way of being kind to me after all the ed up that I’ve been through.”

Wonyoung pats me on the arm. Suddenly the door chimes. We both look up to see who it is and found Hitomi with a pile of books on her arms. I stood up to help her with it.

“Thank you.”

“No problem. We’re having a drink, would you like to join us?”

Hitomi looks at me for a while then to Wonyoung and back to me. She nods.

“I’ll just put these in my room and I’ll be down with you guys.”

I smiled and headed back to my seat. Wonyoung gives me a disapproving look. 

“What?”

Wonyoung sighs.

“She’s too good for you.”

I finally understand what Wonyoung says. It’s not a hidden fact that Hitomi and I have been closer over the times I stayed at Wonyoung’s place. I see her more of a sister though than a lover.

“It’s not like what you think it is.”

“Even if it doesn’t mean anything to you, I see the look in Hii-chan’s eyes.”

“What look might that be?”

Wonyoung looks at the pile of burning firewood slowly turning into ash. I followed her gaze and the flames sort of calmed me down.

“It’s the look you used to give Minju. Somehow even until now, it’s still there. I don’t want her to get hurt Chae.”

A tug on my chest pulled me back down. I took a slow sip from my cup. I shake my head slowly. 

“I don’t think romance is something I want to have right now anyway. As for Minju, all I see is hatred in her.”

I don’t know how you always manage to creep back into my life as if it’s the easiest thing to do. As much as I want to ignore your presence in my life the people around me can’t. I know Wonyoung has been trying to avoid mentioning you but sometimes it just naturally comes up. 

“Just be careful. Be careful not to lead Hitomi on. Be careful not to get your heart broken again.”

Sounds of Hitomi’s steps broke our conversation. I slumped back on my seat while Wonyoung remained attentive. She gives a glass to Hitomi who’s now seated in between us.

“How’s school?” I broke the silence.

Hitomi looks at me. 

“Everything’s good. I’m looking for a hospital for my residency.”

Wonyoung and I exchanged looks. 

“Has it been hard?”

Hitomi shrugs.

“Sort of. I’ll find one soon though, hopefully before the month ends.”

My father owns a hospital. It would be a pity for me to not help Hitomi. Wonyoung’s been giving me looks though. It’s as if she doesn’t want me to continue whatever I have in mind.

“I, uh, I know one.”

Wonyoung glares at me.

“The owner’s someone I know. Maybe I can help you.”

Hitomi gasps in glee.

“Really?”

I look at Wonyoung first.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter