Never Again

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A month had passed since the wedding. As a present from both of our parents, a new house is bought for us. It’s far away from the city and there’s more trees than houses. I sometimes feel like I don't even have a neighbor. However, I’ve been trying really hard to stay out of the house. I feel like you've been doing the same thing. As far as I remember, not that I’m counting, it’s been 10 days since I last saw you.

Tonight’s different though, I went home early from the office. I bought flowers and wine on my way. You called and said that dinner is almost done. I removed my blazer and placed it on the couch. I immediately headed to the kitchen and saw you getting a pot from the oven. In anyone’s eyes, we look like a normal and functioning couple. I’d hate to break it but we’re not.

“Mom said they’d be here in half an hour. I brought flowers. Where should I put it?” 

Mom called earlier this morning, she said they’d be visiting us tonight. I informed as soon as the call ended. We agreed that we’ll come home early and play house. To be honest, in our month here, it’s been the first time that the kitchen has been used. None of us stay in the house long enough to have the need to use it.

“There’s a vase in the living room,” you reply.

I left the wine on the kitchen counter before leaving the room to place the flowers in the living room. 

“I cooked seafood pasta,” you announced dryly.

“That’s fine,” I simply replied back.

I return to the kitchen to get some plates for the table. We did each of our own tasks without talking. When you finish plating  you head to your own room to get changed. You went down wearing a simple black dress. The silence had only been broken when the bell rang. 

“I should get it,” I said.

You shook your head.

“Let’s welcome them together,” you argued.

I shrugged and held out my arm for you to cling on. We went to the door together. I counted three seconds in my head. I sighed and then quickly put on a smile. This is it.

“Hey mom, hey dad,” I greeted.

“It’s been awhile,” you added.

My parents seemed to be happy. The two of us gave them a simple tour. Truth be told the house looks the same as when they bought it for us. Neither you nor I bothered to add any furniture. It’s not like we’re staying here for a long time. A year would pass by like a bliss.

“You should add more painting here dear,” mom says.

“Chae and I are already ordered actually but it’s taking a while,” you explained.

“Who’s your contractor? Maybe I could speed things up,” mom says.

You my arm as if asking for help. I tore away my gaze from the white wall and looked at my mom.

“It’s fine mom. Minju and I want to do things on our own for our house,” I stepped in.

Feeling tired, I faced the dining hall. Maybe dinner could make things less difficult for me. With a warm smile I offered to start dinner.

“How about we talk over dinner instead. I’m starving,” I added.

The dinner went by smoothly. Most talks were about business. It’s the only I can offer on the table anyway. It’s not like the two of us could talk about our personal lives. I’ve been spending more time with Hitomi and Wonyoung rather than my supposed wife. I don’t even know what you’ve been up to lately.

“So how do you plan on giving as an heir?” 

I was drinking from my wine when my father’s abrupt question came up. Admittedly, I choked. You gave me a slight pat on the back to ease the burning feeling on my throat.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“An heir, a grandkid if you must,” dad explained.

You looked at me with a little bit of panic. 

“We’re still young, dad.”

Dad shook his head.

“Nonsense, you have the guts to marry. A kid would be nothing.”

“But the company would soon be passed on to me. It will take a lot of time and effort for me to adapt to changes. Minju’s also just starting to peak at her career,” I tried to reason out.

“Chaewon the company won’t be placed under your name until I see a grandkid of mine,” dad says with finality.

“But grandma’s will said I would only have to marry Minju and I did,” I argued.

Dad shakes his head.

“That’s what her will say yes. However, I want you to have a kid of your own before I finally give it to you. I want to make sure that the company will be taken care of in the future,” dad says.

He looks at his watch.

“It’s quite late now, your mom and I should go,” dad finalizes.

I nodded. Gloomily, you and I assisted my parents outside. Their chauffeur was already by the patio when we opened the door. The goodbye’s were quick as I’m exhausted from our conversation. I ing need a break.

“Are you okay?” You ask me.

I ignored you and picked up my blazer from the couch. Breathing feels heavy for me as anger fills me inside. I snatched my keys from the kitchen counter. 

“I’m heading out.”

“Should I wait for you?” You ask with a bit of concern.

“No, if you’re going to meet with your mistress just make sure to lock the doors,” I said with gritted lips. 

I held my keys tighter than I should have. I felt its ridges pierce the skin on my palm. A stingy sensation crawled through my skin. Blood slowly trickles down my hand.

“Chaewon, your hand’s bleeding,” you gasp.

I pulled my body away from you when you were about to touch me.

“Don’t ever ing touch me again,” I said. 

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter