Ephemeral Peace

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

12 o’clock on the dot, I informed my secretary that I’d be out for the day. Today’s the day the procedure will be done to you. As much as I don’t really want to be around you, I need to show up. My father’s been keeping a close look on our marriage. I’m not entirely sure if he’s just checking in or he’s already doubting us. Which is why I have to do better to keep my act. 

The appointment with the doctor is scheduled at 1 o’clock. You’ve texted me earlier that you’d be here in 15 minutes. I patiently waited by the lobby reading a magazine when your doctor showed up. 

“Hey doc.”

The doctor looked at my direction and smiled after realizing who called her.

“Hey, Chaewon-ssi. Why don’t you come inside?”

I politely shake my head.

“I think I’m fine here.”

“Are you sure? You can wait inside. I still need to prepare some stuff.”

“I think I’d just wait for my wife here.”

The doctor nods.

“If that’s what you’d like. I’d be back in a few.”

The doctor leaves her office. You came 5 minutes after. I moved to the side for you to sit down. You understood my gesture and sat beside me. 

“The doctor said she’s just preparing some stuff.”

I didn’t get much of a reaction from you other than a nod. 7 years of being together, reading you is something that I’m quite good at.  Your uneasy sighs and darting eyes is easy to understand.

I deliberated if I should bring it up or not. 

“Why are you nervous?”

You look at me. Your eyes look void.

“I’m about to get pregnant, what's there not to be nervous about?”

I didn’t really know the right words to say nor do I want to say things that will just hurt you. I gave you a simple nod and went back to reading the magazine.

A few more minutes of silence I can see that the doctor is returning. 

“For what it’s worth, I want you to know that everything will be alright. You'll have me by your side.”

You look at me and before you could utter a reply the doctor arrived. I stood and greeted the doctor again. We’re immediately ushered by her inside her office.

“How are you feeling Minju?”

“I’m doing great.”

“Why don’t you get changed and then come with me. I’ve got the room ready for the procedure. Your wife can come if you’d like.”

You look at me and shake your head.

“No, it’s okay. I’m okay by myself.”

The doctor looked quite surprised but nodded her head eventually. 

“Then if that’s the case, you can come with me while Chaewon-ssi waits here.”

I gave a nod to acknowledge your decision. You left with your doctor and I’m all by myself in her office. The doctor’s office isn’t quite big. It really seems it’s just made for consultations. Her table’s neat with folders and papers properly stacked on the side.

What took my attention is that your medical file above is just on top.

I’m not a fan of snooping around but the last time the doctor mentioned your medical history. You had this look on your face that you seemed nervous about something. There’s something peculiar in it but invading one’s privacy is not something I really want to cross.

I took a sigh.

Impulsively, I took the folder anyway. I opened the folder and immediately saw your name on it. I turned the page and noticed something strange. 

I had to put the folder back when I heard footsteps. 

You trailed behind the doctor. The doctor seemed happy as the procedure went by swiftly. You modestly sat back on your seat and the doctor did too.

“Come back here in two weeks to see if the procedure is successful. The donor you got is potent though so I hope things go well for you two in the first try.”

I smiled.

“Well, I hope so too. Thank you doc.”

“It’s a pleasure Chaewon-ssi.”

“Minju, let’s go?”

I offered my hand and you reluctantly took it. We walk hand in hand until we get to the parking lot. Your hand was the first to slip away.

“I’ll get you home. I can call the hospital to let you take the day off.”

“No, I think I’m fine to return to work.”

My neck strained.

“It’s just the day Minju. You can take the day to rest.”

You shook your head and it annoyed me greatly.

“I said I’m fine. It’s not like the will spill away just like that or something.”

I sighed. 

“I'm just worried but if that’s what you want then whatever.”

I didn’t talk to you for the rest of the ride. I patiently waited for you to get out of the car. You were on your way out when you stopped midway. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter