Chapter 2

Pandora Box

 

“You’re late.” Si Yeon glared at him, folding her arms in her arrogant figure. “And you’re ignoring my calls, too.”

“I know.” He said as he sat down on his chair and opened some files he needed to check. “But the meeting went well even without me.”

Yunho could feel her anger through her breathing but he didn’t bother. Si Yeon bent down and tapped Yunho’s desk with her finger. “Yunho.” She said.

           He looked up to her. Their eyes locked on each other’s. Yunho felt her anger, now through her eyes. Even though she didn’t take a great role in the company, she always kept her eyes on Yunho’s performance. For Yunho, she did that because she’s been doing so since childhood, making sure that Yunho did well.

“Si Yeon, things are going fine. I’m only a little late. Don’t make small things such a big problem.” Yunho leaned back to his chair, still locking his eyes on hers.

“That is not what bothers me.” She put her hands on his desk. Her eyes were searching into his, examining what’s probably hidden inside. “You’ve been drunk last night.”

Yunho let out a small chuckle from his mouth. “How can you tell?”

“Did something happen while you’re drunk?” She asked, ignoring his question because right now she’s annoyed by the fact that he was drunk last night.

“No. Fortunately, nothing happened.” Yunho was sure that he didn’t have to say anything further than that. He wasn’t feeling into story-telling early in the morning. “Would you leave now, please? I have documents to check.”

             Si Yeon straightened her body. Her tall figure stood with grace as she flicked her hair to the back of her shoulder. “Fine. Let’s say nothing happened.” She sighed deeply then she walked to the door. Before she turned the handle, she turned to Yunho for the last time. “Don’t let this happen again. You know father doesn’t like it when his company’s CEO is being drunk and late for work.”

            Yunho gave her a nod then he was back to the documents. Si Yeon closed the door, followed by a loud noise. Yunho chuckled softly as he shook his head in disbelief.

***

             It’s been hours since Yunho worked on the documents and held a meeting with the share-holders of J&P Group. But his mind was a little distracted. He wasn’t not sure by what or whom. He made it to stay focus for the important occasions to keep him away from Si Yeon’s watch. For the rest of the day, she wasn’t seen around either.

           Yunho was continuing his work when his phone beeped and his secretary’s voice was heard after he pushed the loudspeaker button. “Chief Jung, your father is here.”

             Yunho’s eyes widened. Nobody invited him to come. He never met Yunho at the office either. When he had something to talk to Yunho even if it’s only about how the decoration in his office should be, he would tell Yunho to meet him in a restaurant.

            Before he could respond, the door was opened and a man in his late year walked in. Yunho stood up quickly and bowed to his father. Then he walked to the sofa as he fixed his suit. Yunho really wasn’t ready to be visited by his father so suddenly.

“Please, seat, father.” He said as politely as he could and he sat down after his father. “What brings you here?”

“Did you leave your phone?” He asked Yunho. There was nothing serious in his face which made Yunho couldn’t even figure out what brought him here.

“Yes.” He nodded. “Did you call?”

“Of course, I did. That’s what brought me here.”

Of course. Yunho pressed his lips together. “Would you like anything to drink, father?”

“No. It’s fine.” He answered. His father’s tone was firm and clear. Something that clearly showed that his father was a serious man.

“Very well.” Yunho cleared his throat.

“Do you remember what day tomorrow is?” His father looked at him yet his eyes spoke of nothing.

           Of course Yunho knew and he should’ve known tomorrow was what brought his father to him so suddenly, though Yunho almost forgot somehow. Tomorrow was the day of his mother’s death. Tomorrow would be exactly twenty five years after her mother’s death.

“Why aren’t you answering? Did you forget?” His father asked again. His tone was a bit more serious this time.

“I remember.” Yunho answered quietly. “Are you going to Jangseong?”

“No. No matter how many times I’ve tried, they still won’t let me burn incense for her there. They said it was what your mother told them to do.”

“You divorced her. She was hurt and she didn’t need you to mourn for her.” Yunho couldn’t help but to say it. It wasn’t just his mother. He was hurt, too. The day her mother died, no one told him for almost six months later. He had to find out himself while he accidentally heard the conversation between his father and his mother’s sister, arguing about not being able to burn incense for her.

           His father didn’t respond. He seemed thinking deeply about what Yunho had said to him. He knew that, of course. But Yunho also knew that his father had regretted everything he had done wrong in the past, including not telling Yunho about his mother’s death.

          Yunho sighed deeply as he stood up. “I think we don’t have to talk about it anymore, father. You can do whatever you like tomorrow. If there is nothing else to say, then please…” He extended his hand to the door.

His father stood up. “I’m sorry, Yunho.”

         Yunho didn’t say anything. He escorted his father to the door. As he opened the door, he looked to his father with eyes filled with burden yet he tried to be as strong as he could. “It’s been twenty five years. There is nothing to be sorry for by now.”

         His father’s lips were pressed together, hard. He then nodded as he walked out of the room. “One more thing.” He said as he turned to Yunho. “Your mother didn’t die with the baby.” A deep, desperate sigh was heard from his father’s mouth. Yunho himself couldn’t hide the shock he got from his father’s statement.

“You’re saying I have a sibling?” His eyes weren’t blinking as if he couldn’t do it. Every part of his body froze. He stood with his heart thumping hard. “H-How did you know?”

             It was true that his mother was carrying a baby when they divorced and it was also said that the baby died along with her in the car accident. Now that his father told him that the baby survived, Yunho felt like laughing. He wanted to laugh at his life.

“Your aunt told me. But I’m not sure, myself. This could be just a lie to make me feel even guiltier.” He pressed his lips again.

“Aunt told you?” Yunho finally blinked. “Why would she?”

“When we were arguing on the phone this afternoon. She accidentally said it to me, telling me that I’ve made the child suffered then she hung up the phone right after.” His father’s voice wasn’t as firm as before. It was weak and filled with guilt. Yunho couldn’t stand seeing his father acting this way.

“We should drop it here.” Yunho cleared his throat. He might sound selfish for not caring but there’s nothing he could do. “We shouldn’t bother about that since no one knows for sure.”

“But your aunt said...”

“Do you believe what she’s saying now? You never did that before.” Yunho’s voice was cold.

His father’s face stiffened then he nodded. “Thank you for the time, Son.”

Yunho sighed quietly and then he closed the door after his father walked away. His heart was still thumping. Something was wrong. He couldn’t calm himself. It was just a lie. Calm down, Yunho… Damn it!

 


I wrote this from MOW first. The font and size are changing (whoops._.)

I hope even though so, it's still an acceptable story to read.

xoxo (^^)