Chapter 10

Pandora Box

“What is it now?” Seohyun stopped behind Si Yeon.

“I’m going crazy.” She mumbled then she sighed deeply before turning around to Seohyun. “Aren’t you just something?”

“Do we really have to argue right now? When everyone is here?”

“I know him better than you do!” Her sudden anger surprised Seohyun.

“Si Yeon…”

“I know him better than you do!” She repeated, louder. “It was me! He’s mine…”

Seohyun went silent. It took a moment for Seohyun to understand what Si Yeon was talking about. It was Si Yeon who’s arranged to be Yunho’s wife. Seohyun gazed into Si Yeon’s eyes. They were screaming out her anger, sadness and despair. Seohyun shut her eyes and turned her head to look to another direction. Her heart was aching from seeing Si Yeon’s eyes. Everything in them was painful for her to feel.

“I’m…” Seohyun inhaled deeply, looking back at her. “I’m sorry. If I really hurt you, I’m sorry. But lying to myself for you isn’t right. I love Yunho... I don’t know if my feeling can be compared to yours but if I really have to, if I must leave him, it will never because someone interfering in our relationship.”

Si Yeon didn’t answer. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She lowered her head as she wiped them away.

“Does he not know that it’s supposed to be me even after the arranged marriage was called off?” She chuckled in despair. “We’ve been together for twenty seven years. When our mother died, we’re there for each other. How could he…”

Again, tears rolled down Si Yeon’s cheeks but it came to Seohyun surprise that even in her sadness, Si Yeon could still do something unpredictable. She slapped Seohyun hard. It was quite a strong one, leaving a stinging pain on Seohyun’s cheek yet Seohyun stood on her feet. She clenched her jaw, folding her fists tightly. She had to hold herself. Si Yeon didn’t need to be fought back.

Before Seohyun could say anything, Si Yeon was already walking out of the restroom. Seohyun sighed deeply, inhaling the pain on her cheek and her aching heart. She understood how Si Yeon felt. She just did.

 

 

“I’m sorry I have to leave.” Si Yeon grabbed her purse once she got back to the table. She pecked her father’s cheek. “Thank you for the dinner.” She bowed to Yunho’s father then she walked away.

“Noona!”

“Si Yeon!”

Both of Yunho and In Gook rose from their place then they looked at each other. In Gook saw his brother’s eyes were filled with worry.

Hyung, what are you doing?” He asked.

“Si Yeon…” Yunho saw her crying. She hid it well but he just could see it.

Yunho was about to finish his words when he saw Seohyun walking back towards their direction. The dim light hid Seohyun’s burning cheek for a while then when the light got brighter around the table, Seohyun covered her cheek calmly but it was too late. Yunho saw it. In Gook took the chance to run after Si Yeon alone.

“Seohyun, what happened?” He asked in a low voice as he stood close to Seohyun so his father couldn’t see her.

“Nothing.” She answered quietly.

“Seohyun… Was it her? She did this to you?” He asked again.

“Will you believe me if I tell you she really did this?” Seohyun looked up to him.

Yunho was taken aback by her question. A question that had triggered his heart and mind to think. He would believe anything she said but this involved his closest friend, Si Yeon who wouldn’t seem to be able to do something hateful.

“You won’t, will you?” Seohyun passed him by then she took her purse. “Thank you for the meal but I have to leave. There’s something urgent coming up.” She said as she bowed to the elders and left.

“Seohyun!” Yunho called out but she just kept walking. “I’m sorry, father, uncle. I’ll be back.” He excused himself and ran after Seohyun.

He paced to the lobby hall and once he’s close enough to Seohyun, he grabbed her by the arm, pulling her into his embrace. Seohyun rejected. She struggled, hitting his broad chest, wanting to be released as she cried. Yunho didn’t let go, his arms wrapped around her tighter. He put his lips on her forehead and whispered his apology. After another struggle, Seohyun finally gave up and as she wrapped her arms around Yunho’s waist, she cried harder.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” Yunho kept repeating as he rocked her body gently. “I didn’t mean to hurt your feeling.”

 

 

"Noona, you're really into hyung, aren't you?" In Gook watched her from the corner of his eyes.

"Shut up. Just drive." Si Yeon said bitterly as she rubbed her forehead.

"Don't sleep. You need to give me directions to your house." In Gook grinned playfully, hoping Si Yeon would respond better this time but all she did was setting the route to her house in the GPS and she leaned back, resting on her seat.

"Just follow the route on the screen." She said as she closed her eyes.

"Noona, are you very upset? Super upset until you can't rest?" In Gook glanced slightly.

"Just focus on the road."

In Gook sighed and in all of sudden, he pulled over and stopped the car.

"In Gook, what are you doing!?" Si Yeon sat up, glaring at In Gook.

"I can't drive if you're upset." He smiled to her.

"What are you trying to do?"

He hugged the steer as he rested his head on his arms, looking at her with a smile. "I'm new around here, don't make me feel useless yet. To noona whom I have never met or known before, I can't help you to cheer up the way my hyung can. But if I'm doing it my way, will you try to smile?"

"Why?" Si Yeon stared at him. Her eyes were scanning him, trying to figure out why this kid in front of her cared that much.

"Can't I?"

"Why?"

"Noona..."

"Why?"

In Gook chuckled. "I guess I must answer first, then."

Si Yeon silently nodded.

"I'm Yunho's younger brother. Even though I wasn't raised in the same way as he was, I think there's a part of me that can treat you right like how he could’ve done. Who knows I can do it even better?" He smiled again.

His smile looked sincere to Si Yeon, too sincere it hurt her heart. Even when Yunho smiled, it had never felt like this. Her eyes were already teary the moment she looked away from In Gook. She could see from the corner of her eyes, the smile on In Gook's face disappeared when he saw her sad eyes.

"Fine. I'll just drive." He said finally.

In Gook stepped on the pedal and drove the car according to the route on the screen.

***

"I've brought noona back home. Take care of Seohyun, hyung. Himnae!"

Yunho put his phone on the coffee table after reading the message from In Gook. He sat on the couch uneasily. Seohyun was still in the shower. She went in right after they got there. Yunho blew his cheeks then he exhaled slowly. He still felt guilty even though Seohyun had stopped crying and told him she's alright. Somehow he knew it's not that easy for a girl to feel alright after being slapped.

Yunho rose from his seat and decided to walk around the room. At least the beautifully decorated room could put his heart at ease. He stopped in front of a small painting on the wall that seemed to be painted by Seohyun when she was a kid. He had seen that kind of painting everywhere, the only picture a kid could draw or paint; a mountain with rice fields and a shining sun on the corner of the canvas. He chuckled as he traced his fingertips on the canvas.

Next to the painting was a bookshelf. Yunho scanned through it. Every books were about flowers and gardening, except the ones on the bottom. They were photo albums. Curiosity struck Yunho and he randomly pulled out one of them. The title 'fishing trip' was written on the cover. Yunho opened the album and found young Seohyun on the first picture. She was holding a fish on her hand and she was laughing happily in the picture. From the date of the picture, Seohyun was only six when it was taken. Yunho chuckled again as he kept flipping on the pages. The album was filled with Seohyun pictures with her uncle. It seemed that her aunt was the one who took all pictures. Yunho was on the last page when he found the picture of both her aunt and uncle together, hugging each other with love.

"Yunho." Seohyun tapped his shoulder gently.

Yunho dropped the album in surprise. His face stiffened then he bent down to pick up the album and put it back in the bookshelf.

"You're done?" He chuckled nervously as he turned to her then hugged her.

"Yunho..." Seohyun asked in her confusion. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He said, burying his face in her semi-wet hair. "You? Are you still upset at me?"

Seohyun shook her head gently as she hugged him back. "No. I've told you I'm alright now."

"Can I run to you when I feel uneasy?"

"But you always do that." Seohyun giggled. "Of course, you can. Do I need to give you my apartment key?"

"Yes."

Seohyun pulled back. "I was just kidding..."

She knew from his eyes, something was about to go wrong. He's feeling uneasy right now. Seohyun pulled him into her arms again. She his back gently.

"What's wrong?" She asked carefully.

"Nothing." Yunho answered as careful.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He pulled back. "I have to go home now. I must be at the office early. I'll call you." He added and gave her a peck on her lips.

"Okay." She smiled to him.

Yunho grabbed his phone and car key from the coffee table then he left the apartment. But he didn't go home to his apartment. He drove back to his father's house. He wanted to see his brother, asking him about things he was probably not supposed to ask.

Once he had arrived, he parked his car and went inside. The house was quite large for one -now two- but the memory contained in it was as large so his father never planned on moving out from the house. Especially now In Gook's present, his father would stay until he had to leave. Yunho walked calmly to the living room but there was no one there. He darted his eyes to every direction and stopped on the huge family portrait hanging on the wall. It had been renewed. Yesterday, it was the family portrait that was taken when Yunho was still seven. Now, his mother's portrait -which was as huge- was next to the new family portrait of Yunho, In Gook and their father.

"Hyung, what are you doing here?"

Yunho turned his body when he heard In Gook's voice. He was already in his sleeping outfit; a t-shirt and shorts.

"How's Si Yeon doing?" Yunho asked.

"Noona is fine. She didn't want to speak to me but I kept comforting her. She fell asleep listening to me." In Gook chuckled as he threw himself to the couch. "Are you really here to ask that, hyung?"

Yunho walked to the armchair near his brother and sat down. "No." He said as he leaned back.

"Then what?"

"How was Aunt Yoo Eun towards you?"

"Huh? Aunt Yoo Eun?" In Gook sat up, crossing his legs on the couch. "She treats me like I'm her own son and she looks like mom. So she's alright."

"Have you contacted her recently?"

"No." He shook his head. "Auntie doesn't like it when I call home without good news. My return to my own family is gonna give her a heart attack if I ever tell her. You know that well, hyung."

"Yeah." Yunho brushed his fingertips on his lips as he nodded. "How about uncle?"

"Uncle is alright, too. Oh, do you know he's great at fishing? One day, when everything is settled, we should go on a fishing trip together!" In Gook face turned bright as he grinned happily.

Fishing trip... Fun. Yunho thought to himself then he chuckled. "I'm glad your life was better than I thought."

"Dad didn't treat you properly, did he?" In Gook blew on his cheek. "I should've returned earlier."

"It's not something that should be discussed anymore. I don't really need his attention since I made a lot of friends in my life." Yunho stood up. "I'm going to stay over for tonight. You're using my room, right?"

"Uh." He nodded. "But I can move to the guest room if you want to sleep there."

"No need. I'll just sleep in the guest room. Good night, In Gook." Yunho patted In Gook's shoulder as he left to the guest room.

"Good night, hyung."

Yunho walked into the guest room. He took off his shirt as he yawned. He threw it into the laundry bin. Yunho went into the bathroom inside the room and washed his face. He took a deep breath and let it out. He kept doing it several times before he went back into the room and sat on the bed. He looked around the room. It hadn’t changed at all since the last time he went to check on the house.

His eyes stopped on the box on the wardrobe. He went closer and tiptoed to reach the box. Once he had it in his hands, he brought it down and opened the box. His heart raced. There were pictures of his mother inside. He smiled bitterly as he flipped on the pictures, looking at them carefully. After a while, he paused to stop on a strange picture. It’s nothing like the other pictures.

"What is this...?"

 

 


So everyone, this is the last chapter I'm posting for this week.

I'll be away for a week :/ huhuhu and in the meantime, I can't even write any chapter.

So everyone please wait patiently until I'm back home and continue the story :'')