- 017

Born In The Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever."
- Keri Russell


 

Jungkook

As soon as they stepped foot on the rooftop, Dasom crossed the space to the railing and leaned against it, her gaze fixed into the blue.

Jungkook felt quite helpless, awkwardly standing a few feet behind her and chewing on his bottom lip as he was searching for words to begin with.

After a moment of sheer silence, Dasom turned around so the railing was in her back.

“You wanted to talk?”

Jungkook let a nervous chuckle slip his lips and scratched the back of his head. In his mind, this conversation had been a piece of cake. Kind of his job as a soon-to-be psychologist. But the reality proved him otherwise.

Instead of answering right away, Jungkook walked over to Dasom, keeping his distance as he propped himself against the handrail next to her.

“Do you not know how to swim?” he asked.

The second the words had slipped his lips, Jungkook regretted them instantly, closing his eyes in embarrassment.

“I, uh....I didn't...” he started stuttering, trying to take his question back, but Dasom gave him a small smile communicating that it was an okay thing to ask.

“I...well, I do know how to swim” she answered hesitantly. Jungkook cocked his head to the side, eyeing her up and down. He had never witnessed her speechless, since she always had been quite confident in everything she said. “I just don't particularly like it.”

Jungkook's lips pressed into a thin line as he nodded. What person knows how to swim but still drowns, Jungkook wondered.

Silence spread once again, and both of them just watched the clouds moving in the harsh wind for a while. The sounds of the sea got carried over by it – the waves crashing against the shore and the screeching of seagulls hovering over the sea, on the watch for food to catch.

After a while, Jungkook watched Dasom from the corner of his eyes. She had one arm slung around her torso, the other elbow propped on the arm and her hand pressing her hand to her cheek again.

It must really be a nervous habit connected to some sort of -

Anxiety, Jungkook interrupted his own thoughts. She must be afraid of the water. But – why?

“Hmh” he hummed, turning to the side and facing her.

“So you're afraid of water?” he suggested, his full-on psychology student self shining through. He cursed himself for it, but he couldn't help the curiosity bubbling in his veins.

From the start, Jungkook was most interested in Dasom for the fact that she had been so well-composed and didn't show one sign of emotion, that Jungkook's senses had tingled. Something in him knew that, deep down, the toughest people were probably the most broken ones.

“Pathetic, right?” she let out a dry chuckle, but Jungkook couldn't but notice how a glister covered her eyes.

He drew a sharp breath as he realized that Dasom was on the verge of tears. His fingers itched to reach over and pull her into a hug, but he didn't think she would appreciate that. So instead, he cleared his throat and lightly touched her shoulder, causing her to look up at him, her lashes throwing deep shadows across her face.

“Dasom...” he started, ignoring the lump, which was slowly building in the back of his throat. “If you want to talk about it....”

His voice trailed off as he noticed how hard she was fighting against the tears now. Her face was flushed, her eyes red, and she swallowed hard at his words.

Their eyes locked, and Jungkook was too afraid to blink, scared he might miss any tiny detail of her face.

It felt strange. Jungkook had been with girls before, he was no saint, but the way they were looking at each other felt more intimate than he had ever been with a girl before.

Suddenly, Dasom overcame the distance between them, catching Jungkook off guard as she slung her arms around his body, burying her face in his chest. He was so baffled that it took him a second to comprehend the situation, and he lightly wrapped his arms around her, afraid he'd might crush her small frame.

To his surprise, Dasom wasn't at all as fragile as she looked. Her embrace was strong, and her back felt trained underneath his subtle touch.

After a second, he decided to shut his eyes, his chin propping on her top of her head and one hand moving up to the back of it as he hugged her closer.

They just stood like that for a while, the full moon above their heads being the only witness. A few minutes had passed before her breathing had calmed again, and she slowly started wiggling in his embrace. He loosened his arms around her and she drew back, wiping her cheeks with one corner of the blanket around her shoulders.

“If you tell anyone about this” she mumbled, her voice serious despite the small smile pulling on her lips. “I will kill you, Jeon Jungkook. I have a reputation to maintain.”

Even though he tried as hard as he could, Jungkook couldn't hold back the little chuckle at the back of his throat. Placing his hand at the small of her back, he gently pulled her towards the door.

“Let's get back in. I don't want to be responsible if you catch a cold.”

“Oh, that should be the least of your worries” she grinned, amicably ramming her elbow between his ribs.

 

 

Taehyung

Taehyung was slouching on the bed not occupied by the already passed out Jimin. He had his arms crossed behind his back and stared under the ceiling, pondering about the events of the last 48 hours.

Sure, he was a little bit angered by the fact that Jungkook had been frozen in place the second he had collapsed onto the beach with a out Dasom – but deep in the back of his mind he figured that he must have been simply shocked. Taehyung didn't even know how he would have reacted if he had been in his shoes.

Turning his head to the side with a sigh, Taehyung watched his sleeping, fiery-haired best friend for a while. The sound of his steady breaths and the frequent up and down of his chest calmed him from the inside, and slowly, his anger seeped away.

He could still remember the first time he had met both, Jimin and Jungkook.

When he had seen this shy, lanky, black-haired boy crouching on the steps of their apartment building all those years ago, Taehyung couldn't but walk straight up to him, determined to replace his sad scowl with a happy smile, but he had turned out to be a harder nut to crack.

It had taken Taehyung a lot of willpower and stubbornness until Jungkook finally agreed on befriending him, and, as he had seen him smile for the first time, Taehyung's heart had warmed.

Meeting Jimin, though, had been a whole different case. One day after school – Taehyung had probably been around 16 – he and Jungkook had agreed on going to the arcade, but Jungkook hadn't even mentioned that he had invited someone else.

He remembered eyeing this boy up and down then, crossing his arms over his chest tightly. Back then, Jimin hadn't been confident at all. Even though he was good at dancing, he used to be a little chubbier and his muscles hadn't been as defined.

It took Taehyung a few weeks to adjust to him, but in the end, Jimin's eye smile had won him over, and now the three of them were inseparable.

Taehyung actually had Jungkook so much to thank for – accepting his friendship, listening to him when the bullies at school had gotten to his head, introducing him to another amazing friend. There was nothing he could ever accuse Jungkook of except being a great friend.

And now, so it happened that Taehyung had fallen in love with the same girl as said friend.

It was true – Taehyung always fell too hard, too fast, and most of the time it turned out to be not even worth it. His feeling about Dasom was different, though, but since Jungkook had been a lot better since she had shown up on campus out of nowhere, Taehyung heavy-heartedly decided to ignore the fluttering heart when ever he saw Dasom.

His friendship with Jungkook was more important than a girl.

Even though she was really hot.

Taehyung sighed into the darkness once again as he heard the door to their hotel room unlock with a beep, announcing Jungkook and Dasom's return.

Two shadows entered the room, the light from the hall making it impossible to make out any faces, but Taehyung knew it was them. He quickly closed his eyes, trying to steady his breath and mimicked a sleeping face. He had made his decision just mere minutes ago, yet he wasn't ready to actively deal with the situation.

“I'm going to take a quick shower” he heard Jungkook's hushed voice, followed by the bathroom door clicking shut.

The room fell silent and the atmosphere felt heavy. Taehyung didn't dare to open his eyes, afraid of being alone with Dasom.

“Don't pretend to be asleep.”

Dasom's tired voice shook his whole body and he pinched his eyes shut even harder.

Taehyung felt a tweak on his big toe and his foot being shaken.

“I'm talking to you” she whispered, starting to pull on his leg as he was still not responding.

Taehyung then thought it would be good to act like he was just waking up. He slowly opened his eyes, yawning and smacking his lips as he squinted up at the female figure at the end of his bed. He sat up, ruffling his hair and leaving it purposely disheveled.

Dasom stared at him for a second, agape.

“Your acting is pretty ” she scoffed amusedly, causing Taehyung to frown.

He felt his heart racing in his chest as Dasom willingly picked up eye contact with him. The tip of his tongue traced his bottom lip and he quickly drew his gaze away. Afraid of giving away his feelings, he fixed his hands in his lap instead and shrugged.

“I guess” he returned lazily.

Even though it felt a little burdening, Taehyung put on his boxiest smile and raised his head again.

“Do you think I might need to change my major?”

Being happy suited Taehyung much better than being serious, so he started to feel some twisted sort of comfort in his joking.

Dasom's lips curled into a small smile and she shook her head.

“Do whatever you like, whether you're good at it or not” she mumbled, still looking at Taehyung, but her eyes gazed into the distance.

Taehyung snorted, flopping the blanket off of his body and swung his legs out of the bed.

“Seems like I should, huh?” he grinned and rubbed his nose.

As her head snapped up a little, he knew that he had ripped her from whatever thought that had her caught in her mind, and she looked a little confused.

“That was not what I was trying to-”

Taehyung cut her off by patting the top of her head leaving her peering up at his arm.

“I know” he giggled. “I was just kidding. Get into bed now, I warmed it up for you.”

Dasom looked at him baffled when he tip-toed over the floor, pushing the sleeping Jimin over to make some space for him on the other bed.

“I just want to let you know that I'm a light sleeper” he grinned smugly. “So please don't you kids do anything that would scar me for life.”

The crisp blanket crinkled as Taehyung slid underneath them, pulling them up to his chin. The last thing he saw before turning around was Dasom's flabbergasted expression, and even though his heart stung with disappointment, he cuddled against his friend and fell asleep with a smile on his lips, thinking about how happy and relieved he was for Jungkook.

 

 

Dalnim

It took a moment until it had dawned in on her what Taehyung was suggesting.

Just a week back in time, Dalnim would have probably pulled him out of bed, telling him to fight her over this, but the shock of the passed day had her exhausted.

She closed her eyes with a sigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter