- 015

Born In The Dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"No one wants to drown.
Drowning would be the worst.
Cause everyone knows that feeling.
That feeling, oh it's the worst...when you think you're drowning."
- Dane Cook

 

Dalnim

Dalnim clutched her bag close to her side as she jogged up the stairs to her floor.

Somehow the encounter with Jimin and Taehyung kind of threw her off guard, but she saw a great chance in the trip.

She walked down the hall, greeting the other students with a smile as she passed them. She had to keep up her image as the girl next door after all.

Before she unlocked her door, she threw an uncertain glance over her shoulder, wondering what Jungkook was up to. She cursed under her breath when she noticed, though. She shouldn't be worrying about him when she was supposed to focus on her work.

She shouldn't worry about him at all, actually.

The clicking of the door unlocking rang in her ears and she pushed it open, finding her room illuminated only by the light of the full moon seeping through the windows.

It took her a moment to notice the weird atmosphere in the dark room, and she immediately switched to a cautious, defensive mode. She felt the presence of people in the room – people that didn't belong here.

Her eyes darted to Nari's bed first. She lay on her back, her body limp and her face pale. Experience told her that she wasn't simply sleeping – somebody had drugged her and she was passed out for good. Not that Dalnim exactly minded.

Suddenly, the light on the nightstand of her own bed switched on, making Dalnim take a step back and balling her hands to tight fists in front of her body. Whoever was in the room with her – she was ready to fight them.

Roaring laughter filled her ears - a sound that was too familiar.

Her head spun around, finding two, more that just familiar, figures sprawled on her bed.

One of them had his head bedded on her pillow, his eyes closed despite the volume echoing through the room.

The other one sat on her bed comfortably, one of her textbooks open in his lap, but smiling brightly at her.

Hoseok and Yoongi.

“What the hell are you doing here?” she demanded, dropping her bag in surrender. “And what did you do to her?” Dalnim questioned on, casually motioning to her passed out roommate.

“Could you, like, lower your voice?” Yoongi grumbled. “I'm trying to sleep here.”

“Unbelievable” she hissed, throwing daggers at the blonde man with her eyes.

Hoseok extended his hands, gesturing her to come over. With a sigh, she gave in, sinking into his lap and letting him embrace her. Instantly, his familiar scent filled her nose and she realized how much she missed him despite having met up with him just thee night before.

“Ah, Dal! Yoongi and I really missed you” he grinned, patting her head.

Dalnim chuckled, ramming her elbow into his side.

“You're a wuss, Hoseok” she grinned at him, then her eyes moved over to Yoongi.

Looking him up and down, she noticed the bags under his eyes, and, again, how they were rimmed red. He was high again.

“What did you give her?” she asked, pinching Yoongi's big toe, causing him to yelp.

“Sold her some coke” he shrugged, his eyes still closed. “And maybe popped some roofies in her drink.”

She puffed her cheeks, rubbing the bridge of her nose.

“Well, at least she shuts up for once” Dalnim mumbled under her breath, getting to her feet again. She took a second to take a better look at her best friend, her eyebrows furrowing when she noticed the clothes he was wearing.

“Do you have a new job now?” she teased, snapping the cap from him and placing it on top of her head. “Hoping to get dragged in by some cougar like in the you like to watch?”

To her surprise, Yoongi let out a dry chuckle at her comment, but remained still on her bed.

“Funny” Hoseok grinned jumping up, and peeled the Pizza Hut shirt off of his body, revealing his well-toned torso. “Nah, did some...investigation, if you like.”

The smug grin on his lips made her a little suspicious and she crossed the arms in front of her chest.

“Yah.” She snapped up her chin at him, watching him with narrowed eyes. “What are you up to?”

“Oh, I just met this really tall boy. I think he goes by the name of” He paused, his grin widening, giving him a slightly insane look. “Jeon Jungkook?”

“Oh, my god” Dalnim exclaimed, flicking her friend's forehead. “I can't believe you guys!”

“That's not on my hands” Yoongi yawned, finally sitting up and stretching his arms above his head.

“What?” Hoseok smirked, pushing her cheeks together. “I think, as your best friend and quasi-brother, I have the right to meet the guy you spend your nights with.”

Dalnim rolled her eyes, slapping Hoseok's hands off of her face, clearly annoyed. “I can't believe you guys” she repeated, pushing him away from her.

“Your boyfriend's pretty handsome, though” Hoseok pondered, cocking his head to the side, grabbing a plain white shirt from her bed and pulling it over his head. “Almost as handsome as Seok-”

“Shut up” she interrupted him, throwing death glares. “He's not my boyfriend. Neither of them.”

Before Hoseok could say something in return, Yoongi touched his shoulder and they exchanged a glance.

“C'mon” the blonde boy said. “We have work to do.”

Hoseok nodded, giving Dalnim a last, good-natured smile before leaving out the door after Yoongi.

“See you around, Dal.”

Then, the door fell shut and Dalnim was alone with a roofied Nari and the void in her heart as her best friend left.

She sighed hard and sank on her bed, grabbing the shirt Hoseok had left behind.

“What an airhead” she mumbled with a smile, crumpling the shirt up and dunking it into her laundry basket.

 

Jungkook

The days until their weekend trip passed in a drag to Jungkook.

Everyday, he had the feeling that Dasom was distancing herself from him more and more and it left him feeling blank, exhausted even, since he was worrying about what he did wrong.

But nothing would come to his mind.

He paced up and down in his room, pulling items of clothing out of his wardrobe and tossing them into his suitcase, that slowly started to look like a black hole into another dimension. Black over black over black.

“No wonder you're always so dark” Taehyung commented, picking up a pair of black boxers and inspecting it thoroughly.

Jungkook stopped, looking at his friend in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

Taehyung rolled his eyes, tossing the boxers back into the suitcase.

“Nevermind.”

“I can't believe you actually talked her into going along” Jungkook moaned, brushing his large hands over his face. “This is going to be so weird! Who will share the bed with her?”

Taehyung raised an eyebrow in amusement, snorting at his friend.

“That's what you worry about, Jungkookie?” he teased to Jungkook's dismay. “I would gladly do that, but the way things are” He paused sighing and propping his chin on his already packed suitcase. “I guess she's going to pick Jimin-hyung.”

Jungkook's head snapped up in interest.

“What...what's that supposed to mean?” he demanded, his voice a little hoarse.

“Hmpf” he huffed, looking at Jungkook from below. “She only agreed to coming along when Jimin assured her he was going, too.”

Disappointment washed over Jungkook, and he sunk on the bed next to his friend. “Jimin?”

“I know, right?” he complained, crinkling his nose.

At around 2 pm, after all their classes ended and Jimin was done practicing, the three friends waited for Dasom to arrive.

Jungkook felt bad for it, but he would throw daggers at Jimin whenever he wasn't looking, asking himself what Jimin had the he didn't.

With a sigh, Jungkook realized that it was actually quite obvious.

Jimin was nice, warm-hearted, good-looking, talented and had a great body. He was charming all the girls with his prominent eye smile.

Jungkook, on the other hand, looked sickly and pissed most of the time, was lanky and a loner. There was nothing charming about him.

“Ah, there she is!” Taehyung suddenly called, waving at an approaching figure, whose face was shielded by a huge hood, and pulled a suitcase behind her.

“Dasom-ah!” Tae grinned, meeting her halfway and gently taking the suitcase from her.

Jungkook's stomach winced. It was the first time after the day she had spent in his room, that they were face to face. And she looked prettier than ever, with her face flushed from the cold and the fur of her hood her delicate features.

He swallowed at her sight, greeting her with a curt nod, which she returned.

Taehyung and Jimin started loading the suitcases into the trunk of the car Jimin had burrowed from his parents, leaving Jungkook and Dasom standing side by side awkwardly.

He watched her as she tucked a lit cigarette between her lips, pulling at it and releasing the smoke from her lungs. He didn't like smoking, but somehow, when she did, he felt it was aesthetically pleasing. Her lipstick stained the orange cigarette filter and the thick smoke caressed her face before it vanished into thin air.

“How have you been?” he asked quietly.

She didn't answer right away, so he though she may haven't heard him. He was just in the process of clearing his throat, repeating himself, when her eyes met his and a lightning shot through his veins.

“Good” she returned as quiet. “You look bad, though.”

Jungkook snorted, lowering his gaze to the tips of his Timberland's. “Thanks.”

“Buckle up!” Jimin's voice interrupted their awkward excuse of a conversation and he clapped his hands.

“Shotgun!” Dasom called out, raising her one hand while snapping away the burnt-down bud with the other.

Groaning under his breath, Jungkook slid into the seat behind her, and even before taking off, already blended everyone out by turning up the music in his ears loud.

These next 6 hours would be a drag.

When they finally arrived in Ulsan, it was already pitch dark outside.

The four students checked into their hotel room and Jungkook winced when he noticed the tw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter