Oconomy

Between the Lines

"Wendy, I'm scared. I think I need to vomit." Seulgi wipes her sweat and her knees won't stop shaking. Damn airplanes.

"Seulgi, this is not your first time flying, you'll do fine." Wendy just smiles at her friend whose face is now too pale.

Seulgi just huffs and consciously taps her knees in a rhythmic manner.

 

*

 

Another long flight and Irene felt her head getting hazy due to stress and lack of sleep. Why did she choose this job anyway?

 

Joy has to nudge her from her thoughts, a cue for her to do the usual safety demo, she put on that sweet smile on her face before she starts.

 

These people are too busy minding their lives and who pays attention to the demo anyway, they probably heard and seen this multiple times, Irene muttered to herself as her eyes scan the flight passengers.

 

It was then that she noticed someone who's craning her neck too much and is attentively listening to her while smiling too brightly. She never thought of this as weird as she shot a smile at the girl's direction (at least someone is paying attention!) and proceeded on the rest of the demo.

 

*

 

"I thought you were feeling ill a while ago, why do you look like you've seen Jesus?" Wendy eyes Seulgi as the latter is grinning wide as is too giddy in her seat. "That flight attendant smiled at me. We had a ~connection~..."

 

"Seulgi could you control yourself? We are in a middle of a long flight and please spare that poor flight attendant away from your pickup lines."

 

"But-"

 

"No buts.."

 

 

*

 

Irene is now walking with a cart on the aisle asking passengers around for what drinks they like when she stopped by at Seulgi's row.

 

The girl is still grinning widely as she asks: "Can I know your name?" which earned an elbow from Wendy as the girl grunted and sulked.

Irene could not believe this, she thought she evaded another flight without getting flirted at but this idiot has to ruin it.

She put her poker face on as she asks Wendy for her drink and proceeds to ask the next row.

 

When she arrived at the cabin area, Joy laughs as she knows that face Irene is wearing too well: "Let me guess, someone tried to flirt with you again, is it an old businessman this time?"

 

"No, it's that smiling girl at the middle aisle with a bun on her head." Irene closed her eyes and massaged her forehead.

 

Joy peeked and sure enough she spotted Seulgi arguing with Wendy: "Oh, this one's not bad, she's cute."

 

 

*

 

 

Irene walks again along the aisle with a pen and paper and is counting when she felt someone poked her: "Can I have your number?"

 

"I don't have a phone." Irene deadpans as she proceeds counting.

 

*

 

"I told you, no pickup lines!" Wendy reprimanded her bestfriend and the latter still wants to argue: "Can I have your number is not a pick-up line Seungwan!"

 

"But still! Do you know that flight attendant might be stressed as hell and here you are making her job even more difficult!"

 

Seulgi proceeded to press the Call Attendant button as she watched Irene hurriedly walked towards them, before Irene could ask about her concern, Seulgi suddenly blurted out: "Baby, I can tell that you want me."

 

Irene now irritated at the false emergency just smiled and said: "Yes, I want you... to leave me alone."

 

When will this flight end?

 

 

*

 

 

Irene nudged for Joy to ask passengers for their food this time and the younger girl obliged. She got surprised when Joy now walks back chuckling: "Your admirer snores so cutely."

 

The older girl peeked out and sure enough she saw Seulgi sleeping peacefully with wide open.

 

Hope she would stay asleep for the rest of the flight.

 

 

*

 

By some luck, there has been a heavy turbulence and Seulgi is now clutching on to her seat for her dear life: "We're all gonna die!!! Time to repent for all our sins!!!" Wendy shushed her for being so embarrassing but it didn't escaped Irene's ears as she looked at the direction of the shouting person.

 

Of course it has to be the idiot.

 

She shook her head, turned away and smiled.

 

*

 

Seulgi is now sleeping peacefully again as Irene walks by their row, by some accident Wendy spilled her drink and the next thing Irene know is a half-awake Seulgi adjusting to her surroundings and gazes at her face: "In all of my years, I've never laid eyes on a more attractive, sensitive, and understanding woman. With all of my heart, I adore you. Your eyes are pools of heavenly water, teeming with life and love; your succulent smile crafted as elegantly as Mona Lisa's. Your words could move nations; your voice could soothe beasts. Do me the ultimate pleasure of accepting my eternal devotion to you." 

 

Irene raised an eyebrow at the elaborate play of words and just muttered: "No." as she walks away again. 

 

*

 

Seulgi now whines at Wendy as none of her pickup lines worked at Irene.

Irene could hear them conversing as she's attending to one of the passenger who's having a panic attack.

Wendy just pats her friend and said: "Give it up, knowing you, you would forget about her the minute we will get off of this plane, trust me. Oh, plus get ready for our next connecting flight."

 

Seulgi excitedly shouts: "Are we flying oconomy again?!"

 

Irene couldn't stop herself this time as she lost her composure and started laughing hard, with the word oconomy ringing in her head repeatedly as she held gazes with Seulgi who's now even more smitten seeing her laugh.

 

Seulgi now dramatically clutches her heart as she exclaimed: "Is there an airport nearby or is that just my heart taking off?"

 

 

Thanks to http://antipickupline.com/ and to someone who sent me this prompt.
For my other fics: Waiting Game | Spell