Five

Idyllic Oblivion

Jongin stared at his reflection. It's been a while since he has felt such a lack of confidence, especially with Kris being one of the obstacles of his dilemma. His older friend simply dominated everything. 

Despite his raging and guilty feelings for Kyungsoo, Jongin knew it was smart to allow Kris get his way. After all, he was convinced himself that liking Kyungsoo was only temporary; a childish crush thar would eventually wash away. Unfortunately, it didn't feel that simple. His feelings for Kyungsoo felt a lot more stronger than he would've imagined, but it didn't feel right liking a boy that was picked up off the street. 

"It's just a phase." The frustrated boy whispered, turning on the faucet and running his strained hands through the trickling cold water. "You'll get over him." His only solution was motivation, from himself. No matter how many times he promoted self confidence within himself, feelings for Kyungsoo only seemed to grow. 

"Jongin? Are you okay in there?" Jongdae called from the locked metal door. He and Sehun stood beside it, knocking repeatedly and annoying the hell of their friend. Little did they know that fact.

"I'm fine!" Jongin called out. He wasn't fine at all, in full truthfulness. He hasn't felt this anxious since the time he went through a phase of accepting himself as is, until Kris gladly helped him through it. Aside from all the times his Chinese friend has helped him throughout,  Jongin felt the need to get Kyungsoo for himself. The risks were high, but it would all be worth it in the end. Wouldn't it? 

"Hyung." Sehun softly called out. "You really can't stay in there all day. Just tell us what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just not feeling well."

Jongdae dryly laughed. 

"If you're not feeling well, a smart person would have it checked out. Let's go."

"Guys, it's not serious. Just morning sickness."

"What the hell Jongin? Are you pregnant or something?"

"No! Just piss off, and I'll come out when I'm feeling better." The tanned boy shouted, pleading that Kris nor Kyungsoo had heard. Luckily for him, only Sehun and Jongdae seemed to be present, leaving with a loud 'hurry up then', and walking away with sarcastic insults towards him. Jongin rolled his eyes then shut off the running water. After doing so, he finally gained the courage to walk out, harshly slamming the door behind him, and violently shaking his wet hands in order to dry them off with the cool breeze. Ahead was Kris and Kyungsoo sitting at a nearby bench alongside the classroom structures. Jongdae and Sehun were teasing each other playfully to the side, loud yelps coming from the maknae everyone the other poked him on his stomach with a slender finger. 

"Why did you just run off?" Kris asked, standing up as his friend drew closer. Jongin shrugged at the question, he wasn't so sure himself. 

"I didn't feel good."

"D-do you want some water?" Kyungsoo stammered, lifting up Kris's water bottle that he always kept with him. Jongin weakly smiled and shook his head. 

"I'm fine."

"But you're so pale Jongin."

"It's the cold. Believe me, I feel good as new." He fibbed to the boy for the first time. A spark of guilt began growing inside him. 

Kyungsoo set down the water bottle with a frown, nodding slightly. He knew Jongin lied, but decided not to point it out. 

"Look who's back." Jongdae came forward, hand in hand with his maknae friend. Everyone knew that their relationship was nothing more than best friends, just Jongdae was more affectionate when it came to his little blonde. "How's the baby holding up?"

"The baby is fine." Jongin snapped, holding back his laugh at the joke. Kris and Kyungsoo traded confused expressions. 

"The baby?"

Sehun giggled lightly and messed with Kris's hair, knowing that if he were to be bothered by it, Jongdae was there to stop any physical harm being performed. 

"You wouldn't understand. Let's go."

"To the doctor's?" Kyungsoo asked suddenly in fear. Kris lovingly cupped his chin with one hand, making sure Jongin was able to see it all. He did indeed see the contact, and turned away in jealousy. It was immature of Kris to flaunt his relationship with the smaller, but Jongin intended on doing so in the future. Because of this, he didn't exactly earn the right to be angry towards his older friend. 

"No Kyungsoo. We just got here."

"But we have to go later."

Kris sighed. He stood up in the process and wrapped Kyungsoo's shoulder with his long arm for support. 

"..Yes. Later." His voice was gruff. Jongdae pat his back after walking past, leaving them with a swift breeze. 

"Let's go to the gym. It'll be nice and warm in there." The skinny boy beamed, turning around as Sehun happily followed. Jongin slowly did the same, hands in pockets while Kyungsoo and Kris stood side to side directly behind him. The two seemed emotionless, despite the way Kris liked to touch Kyungsoo, whether it be playfully or out of full seriousness. Jongdae shrugged off the fact; he wasn't on to meddle in that kind of situation.

The gym was quite a walk away. Kyungsoo eventually grew tired and pained from the walk, although his leg pain had settled throughout his stay at Kris's. Both Kris and Jongin insisted that they carry him, (Sehun and Jongdae thought the idea as completely absurd, being present at school and all) only to be rejected by the smaller boy, because he seemed to be somewhat bothered by their desperate attempts in helping him out whenever the oppurtunity came up. Jongdae caught clear notice of his irritation, and would proceed to shoot a sarcastic glare at both of his friends, which was enough to at least stay quiet until the group reached their destination. 

Kyungsoo was the first to open up the large doors with his small hands, peering inside the heated gym and instantly drawing back when he noticed that students were inside. Sehun was the most confused by his sudden motion, and grabbed the large eyed boy by his shoulder with a questioning look. 

"What's wrong? Are they doing something in there?"

"That's strange. They're not usually doing anything school activities during vacation. Are they just preparing for the new school year?" Jongdae asked, this time being the one to look inside. He laughed lightly after seeing the students inside, playing basketball or other sports. His head turned to face Kyungsoo who was shyly standing between Kris and Jongin without thinking. 

"Is this why you were scared to go inside?" Another chuckle flew from his lips, comforting Kyungsoo just a bit more. Kyungsoo nodded with shame. 

"Don't worry. I'm sure Kris and Jongin here will protect you from the guys inside." Jongdae teased. "But trust me. The people here aren't bad. Let's go!" After sparking his final word, the raven-haired boy speed in, having Sehun's wrist with sparkling eyes. Kyungsoo was hesitant, but Jongin immediately grabbed him by the hand and rushed inside, knowing that Kris was going to do the exact same. The oldest boy shot a glare as they disappeared into the building, then glumly followed. 

All the boys praised Jongdae for his idea in entering. The gym was definitely warmer than outside, and was filled with competitive shouts of the students participating within the sports. Everyone attending the school always was comforted by the team spirit; a characteristic that they all embraced as if the school was there own home. Jongdae smiled brightly at the sound before setting himself in the bleachers upon the middle rows to watch the players. 

"Don't you guys like it here?" He cooed, motioning for the others to take a seat. Sehun quickly claimed a seat next to him, and nodded. 

"Hell yeah." The young blonde flashed a smile at Kyungsoo, who was choosing a seat. "You're going to like it so much here Soo."

Kris cocked his eyebrow, whereas Jongin grimaced at the nickname. 

"Soo? Where did that come from?" They both asked. 

"I made it myself. Do you like it?"

"I like it." Kyungsoo spoke up before anyone else could. They all turned, and was met with a small boy smiling at his new nickname. Sehun brightened. 

"That's awesome! But only I can use it." The maknae darkly stated, before turning his short attention span back to the game. The others knew how odd the youngest could be at times. 

Jongin sat at the end of the row, knowing that Kris had an intention to push him out of anything that involved Kyungsoo. With the small boy by his side, he took the chance before Kris could at all, tapping Kyungsoo's shoulder while thinking of a witty and clever conversation starter.

"Hey." He deeply spoke. Kyungsoo froze, finding himself in sudden discouragement when the voice played out. His eyed widened, and he cleared his throat before choosing to respond. 

"Euh.. yes?"

"Are you feeling okay?"

Kyungsoo smiled up at the younger, feeling his face slowly heat up. 

"Yes. Thanks for asking."

Jongin sweetly grinned in return. It was difficult to tell, but he was beyond anxious. This was one of the opportunities that he got for himself to actually communicate with Kyungsoo without screwing it up, so it was crucial to have the words chosen be filtered three times over before physically speaking them.

"..How do you like the school so far?"

"I like it." Kyungsoo giggled while looking down, thumbs twiddling. "Jongdae is really nice. I look forward to meeting your other friends."

"Really? I'm sure they'll like you as much as you like Jongdae then."

"Hm? Is that a compliment?"

Damn it. 

"I-I..Uhh, yes. That was."

"Oh. Thank you." The doe-eyed boy his lips. Jongin's body language was fairly easy to read, with his pinkish face and abrupt eye movement. Despite the way he was clearly nervous, his anxiety only made Kyungsoo more shy. He was shocked himself at how his answers didn't come out so shaken than expected.

Jongin laughed to himself happily. Kyungsoo didn't seem to be holding himself back when he was asked a question. 

"How long have you been friends?"

The younger turned. 

"Huh?"

"You, Kris, Sehun? How long have you guys known each other?" His voice was exasperated. Jongin sheepishly laughed, and mentally slapped himself for being so ignorant towards the question.

"Oh.. I've known Kris longer than Sehun. He's like a brother to me. I met Sehun a few months after I met hyung." Jongin stiffened when he used the term 'hyung'. Using such was more Sehun's thing. 

"That's cool. You guys must be close then." 

"We are. I don't know what I would do without them."

Kyungsoo smiled sweetly at Jongin's rare kindness towards his friends. It was always nice to know that although he seemed to hate them, he still loved them with everything he had. 

"It's nice to know how much you care for them. You guys sound like real brothers."

"Yeah." Jongin nodded in deep thought. "I hate to admit it, but I love them like family."

"It's better than just loving them like friends."

Jongin nodded again. He wasn't sure about what to do anymore, besides gaze into the pep of the game going on down below. 

"Kyungsoo.." He began cautiously. "About the other day.."

Kyungsoo shifted in his seat, for some reason a little closer. 

"Go on."

"You left. Well- you didn't leave, you just.. insisted on leaving. I just wanted to say, I hope it doesn't happen again."

"Oh? Did you really want me to stay?" The older slyly smirked at the thought.

Jongin blushed lightly. Kyungsoo was already catching on to his actions, and that was the last thing he would've wanted, any less suspect. He always figured that Kyungsoo was more of a kept to himself kind of boy, letting other's like him but not being able to appreciate that special attention. Instead, he seemed more open to the fact, maybe even happy about it. It was comforting to know that his crushing was not taken for granted.

"Actually-" The tanner began to speak, but found himself suddenly disrupted by Kris, who turned Kyungsoo around to face the game. He pointed a finger at what looked like one of the players, causing the squishy boy to laugh softly. 

That's not fair. I'm the one that's supposed to make him laugh.

Kyungsoo seemed to have totally forgotten Jongin's existence after Kris took him back. Thats what Jongin hated most of all. How, exactly, was Kris able to do such? Jongin couldn't do it himself, and in his honest opinion, he and Kris were equally charming and equally handsome. Maybe even more handsome and charming than the other. He watched with blazing eyes as Kris coolly was able to wrap his arm around Kyungsoo's small shoulders.

That's not fair either. I'm the one that's supposed to protect him.

All sounds disappeared from Jongin's mind. He couldnt hear Sehun and Jongdae's foolish game, he couldn't hear Kris' comment or Kyungsoo's gentle laughs. He couldn't hear the basketball match below, and he couldn't hear his own breath. Was he that angry?

Glancing at his watch, the time was 7:20. Of course, time hated him too. It felt hours sinced they arrived, except that wasn't the case.

Damn karma.

"Jongin?" He heard his name faintly but chose to ignore it. "Jongin?" His name was said again.

Kyungsoo worringly set his hand on Jongin's forehead, causing the younger to draw back in shock.

Did Kyungsoo just touch me?

"What..?"

"Are you okay today? Don't take this to heart, but you look bad, Jongin. You haven't been exactly acting like the healthiest person ever."

"I'm fine." Jongin assured the other.

"Well, let me feel your forehead." Kyungsoo insisited, lifting up his hand again. Jongin didn't know why, but he hit it away with a lot more force than needed for the frail limb. It was his anger getting the best of him. Again.

"I'm fine! You don't have to." Jongin cried. Kyungsoo stared for a moment, wondering if he shuld be hurt by what happened, or just plainly not surprised. His look of concern instantly transformed into a frown.

"A-Are you sure?" He stammered quietly, hoping the question wouldn't bother the latter any further. 

Jongin looked down.

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo. I shouldn't have hit you."

"No! Don't say sorry. You're clearly sick, I think we should go back to Kris's house." Kyungsoo turned the other direction to face Kris in alarm. He briefly explained the dillemma before Jongin could interfere. Kris looked at his younger friend with a look of uncertainty.

"He looks fine. Are you sure he's sick?" Kris asked, drawing himself closer to the boy. Kyungsoo nodded in triumph.

"Yes! You should take him home, so he doesn't get worse."

Kris was slightly bothered that he had so much concern for his competition. It didn't seem morally right. It was disgusting. They didn't look good together either, to him. It was the wrong key for the right lock. 

"I'm fine." Jongin growled lowly, knowing Kris was bound to start another competition. He didn't need that. "We're going to stay here."

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. 

"No.. Jongin. You don't seem well. Let's just drop you off."

And let Kris get you for himself? Ha. Not a chance. 

"Kyungsoo, I'm fine. Don't get so worked up about me." Jongin sighed deeply, staring into the older's eyes lovingly. He hasn't noticed how pretty they seemed until now. Kris was slightly miffed by that, directly turning Kyungsoo away for what seemed the millionth time that day, and began to state witty comments. 

Jongin couldn't feel more stupid for letting Kyungsoo slip away from his arms so easily. It would be a lie of he said that he was afraid of Kris, the main reason why he held himself back from him and Kyungsoo. 

"Please Jongin." The small boy gave his perfect puppy eyes. This was probably a test. Jongin shrugged away in attempt to not be manipulated, and gave a look at Kris.

"Tell him I'm fine, Kris. You know I don't get sick."

With that, Kris nodded and returned his arm back around Kyungsoo's shoulders. Jongin cursed himself again for letting his goal slip away again. How could be this foolish, letting the same mistake play over and over again like a broken record? Did he not care for Kyungsoo enough to actually be determined to get him? He was going to need a plan now. A plan that couldn't possibly get anyone to ruin it; a plan that was successful the first try. 

A date. 

Jongin inhaled heavily, closing his eyes and mentally preparing himself. 

Okay, Jongin. You got this. A quick date at the movies- No! That's too cheesy. Kyungsoo deserves better than that. His eyebrows furrowed in frustration. The beach maybe? ..That's even worse. Why is this so complicated?? it. I'll ask him where he wants to go. Yeah, that's genius! 

"Kyungsoo?" Jongin said, allowing his thoughts come to life. The addressed boy turned around in surprise from Kris's conversation with Jongdae. 

"Yes?"

So far so good. 

"I was wondering.." His hands began to grow clammy. "If you wanted to go. Anywhere you like."

Kyungsoo smiled timidly. 

"What do you mean?"

"Like- we can spend some time together. Wherever you like." Jongin was extremely glad for having stopped stuttering so soon. He couldn't help but smile cutely. 

"Okay. Do you want me to choose?" Kyungsoo asked, pointing at himself. Jongin nodded eagerly. 

Looking up in thought, the doe-eyed boy pursed his lips. He hadn't really thought about going anywhere, for he couldn't remember anything that he desired to do. All he really wanted was to get his appointment over with, to return back to Kris's home and cuddle into the blankets, or spend some friend time with the others. Walking was rather difficult for him too, so places that required such were off the list. 

"I'm not sure. I'm not very mobile with my legs; I would hate to hold you back because of my pain."

"But I'd really like to spend some time with you. We don't have to go anywhere that requires walking." You're sounding too desperate. Abort.

"That's very sweet of you. We can invite Kris, Sehun, and Jongdae too."

The mention of those names just crossed the line. Jongin was hopeless, he knew Kyungsoo was thinking about bringing the others along. He was obviously not interested in spending time alone with each other. That's what was most disappointing. 

"Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked innocently. "Are we still planning?"

Looking up from ranting, Kris, Sehun, and Jongdae were looking at him with sly smiles. They already seemed to know about whatever trip he was planning anymore. Too late. He lost his chance. 

"Uh.. yeah. Still planning."

"You want to take us on a trip, Jongin?" The maknae asked in sheer delight. Jongdae flashed a very cute smile. 

"That's smart. We can all relax before the school year begins again."

Kris cocked an eyebrow. 

"Are you serious? This seems kind of fishy."

"You're serious about this, right Jongin?" Kyungsoo asked with hopeful eyes. He couldn't say no anymore. After all, a trip with his friends didn't sound half bad, as long as Kyungsoo was there. 

"Of course. Where do you guys want to go?" A dry smile grew on his face. 

"Ohh!!" Sehun excitedly raised a hand, as Jongdae gently pat his back to calm his eagerness down. "Let's go to Jeju Island!"

"Are you out of your mind?!" Kris and Jongin both asked, too surprised to even notice how similar they sounded when speaking together. Kyungsoo giggled lightly. 

"We can go sight seeing." His suggestion promoted some excitement in the others, Jongin even found himself agreeing to the idea. All boys tangled their words of enthusiasm into a jumbled mess, all already planning what to see, when to go, and what to take. Kyungsoo was proud. 

"The mountains at the countryside are to die for." Kris beamed. 

"I've always wanted to ride a cable car." Jongdae gave a toothy smile like a child getting candy. Sehun giggled loudly. 

"Bubble tea! I heard the boba in foreign areas are always the best!"

"Forget the bubble tea." Jongin interrupted, increasing the tone of his voice. "Think about the culture. I'll bet they have some really cool traditional buildings."

"Guys." Kyungsoo voiced quietly, but was yet able to grab everyone's attention. He was delighted that he was able to do so easily. "I think we should do this slowly, instead of getting ahead of ourselves."

"Right." Jongdae nodded matter-of-factly, and raised a pointy finger.

Kris smirked coolly. 

"After your appointment Kyungsoo, we can plan it out." He held in all the available excitement about the future trip. He had never been able to spend time to relax anywhere but home, with his parents constantly being away. Such an idea was enough to make him dance. Jongdae seemed to be able to use a nice vacation too. The poor boy was always hidden in the corners of his room searching for any useful information that could help him later; which in his case was everything. 

A vacation was what everyone needed.