Promise

Unexpected

When I woke up, I was feeling excited for some strange reason. As I got dressed and ate my breakfast in the kitchen, Seungyoon texted me.

Yoon: you up?

Me: yeah, I’m eating breakfast right now. what’s up?

Yoon: after school, I wanna talk to your brother about something…

Me: I’m sure he’ll be here after school, what is it about?

Yoon: secret! I’ll cya later!

I put my phone into my schoolbag and gave Hyunseong a hug before stepping out the door and into Choa’s car. Since I lived too far for me to walk, Choa offered to pick me up every morning. She started the engine.

“You’re just lucky we didn’t have homework over the weekend, we would’ve never finished it.”

“True,” I yawned, still feeling tired. Choa parked the car and we stepped out. We walked to the front gates and met up with Hojeong on the way there. We all walked to class together as Seungyoon joined us as well, putting his arm around me as we walked. I could feel the stares of girls who watched us walk past and felt my face turn red. Seungyoon pinched my cheeks.

“You’re really cute when you’re embarrassed,” he teased me.

“Yoon!” I reached up to mess his hair up. He grabbed my wrist and put my hand on his chest, where I could feel his heartbeat.

“You feel that? This heart beats only for you Joo,” he said. I stared at him like he had lost his mind. Then he cringed and flushed, letting go of my hand and immediately taking out his phone to call someone.

“ROKHYUN!” he yelled into the phone and I began to laugh, understanding why he was like this. “I don’t think it worked.”

I took his phone from him, where I could hear Rokhyun laughing along with the rest of WIN. “Rokhyun?”

“Hey Joo, did you like the line I told him to say?” Rokhyun managed to get out, he was still laughing hard.

“That was the worst line I’ve ever heard in my life Rokhyun, don’t tell him to do stuff like that ever again.”

“Oh Joo, that was only the beginning!” Rokhyun whined but he hung up first. I handed the phone back to Seungyoon, who was still red.

“Only the beginning?” I asked. He turned even redder and dug around in his backpack before revealing a small box. Before he could hand it to me, the bell rang. He stuffed it back into his bag.

“After school okay?” he asked as we sat down in our usual seats. I nodded as we went through the day like normal. Class with Seungyoon… then Gunwoo… then Rokhyun, who was still laughing over today’s incident… Siwoo… then Daesung. When the final bell rang, Seungyoon picked me up from the classroom, holding my hand as we walked out to the front. He stopped, taking out the box from this morning and getting down on one knee in front of everyone who was still there. They stopped to stare, taking out their phones to record us as I began to blush, putting my focus down at Seungyoon. He opened the box and revealed couple rings. He began a little speech that I had a feeling he had worked on the night before.

“Hyojoo, I know it’s only been a few days since you’ve been here and you’re still new to this place, trying to get used to everything and make new friends. When I first saw you…” he stopped, his eyebrows furrowed, looking down at his wrist, where I saw little black words written. He continued. “I… fell head over heels for you? Uh… the way we got into this relationship was probably not the way you expected right? I am here now to do it properly for you. Hyojoo, will you go out with me?”

He looked up at me, holding up the rings. I looked at them, sparkling in the sunlight, listening to the whispers around us. I nodded, my eyes filling up with tears. He got up and slipped the ring onto his finger and then my finger.  He got up and we hugged as we heard cheers go up around us. Daesung and WIN came running up to us.

“I recorded everything!” he shouted over the din, waving his phone around. Soon we were all engulfed in a huge group hug, people from the entire school must’ve came over to see what was going on. I felt myself get squashed next Seungyoon and Siwoo. When the crowd dispersed, I was standing with WIN and Hojeong. Choa, Hyei, and Jiyoon came up moments later.

“That was wild,” Jiyoon looked at the people walking around like nothing had happened.

“I’d say. Let’s go for now?” Seungyoon took my hand again, holding them up as our rings sparkling and the girls squealed in delight. Rokhyun patted Seungyoon’s back.

“You’re welcome,” he said sarcastically. Seungyoon rolled his eyes.

“Thanks.”

We walked to the limo that was parked up front and got in. Hojeong walked home while the girls went to cheer practice. When we reached my place, Hyunseong was watering the flowers outside. He looked up as we walked towards him. His eyes immediately went down to the rings on our fingers.

“Official for real this time?” he asked, his eyes still on the rings.

“I just came here for your official approval,” Seungyoon said with determination in his voice. Hyunseong turned off the hose, looking at him.

“Let’s go inside first,” he opened the door, inviting everyone in. I served everyone a drink as they sat on the couch. When I took my place next to Seungyoon, Hyunseong sighed.

“I’ll approve it… under one condition of course,” he told us.

“What is that?” Seungyoon leaned forward.

“You’ll talk to her parents as well. I’m not the only one who should approve this. They should too.”

“Okay then, let’s call them right now then,” Seungyoon stood up and so did Hyunseong, who took out his phone.

“You guys should step outside first,” Hyunseong began to push us out the door except for Seungyoon, who was holding Hyunseong’s phone.

“Ah but oppa!” I protested, wanting to be inside as well. Hyunseong silently gave me a look and I deflated. “Fine.”

He shut the door on us. We all rushed to the window, where we saw Seungyoon talking to my parents though video chat. Even though we couldn’t hear from outside, I could see that they were all smiling happily. A few minutes later, we were all sitting on the lawn, waiting, picking at the grass. Seungyoon opened the door, looking proud. Hyunseong was behind him. I got up and ran to them.

“Verdict?” I asked, hoping it would be a yes. Seungyoon and Hyunseong were silent.

“They approve!” Seungyoon grabbed me into a hug.

“Good job!” I hugged him tightly and let go. I smiled up at him. Hyunseong went back inside to answer a call. He came back outside a few minutes after.

“I got the job! They called me earlier than expected but I got it!” he was happy, which made me happy as I gave him a hug as well. I was official with the one I loved the most. My brother got his dream job. I had friends that would stay with me through thick and thin. Everything seemed perfect today.

-next day-

Choa, Hyei, and Jiyoon ran up to me after classes.

“Hyo! Guess what!” they were jumping up and down.

“Uniforms came in?” I guessed.

“YES!” they cheered and began to drag to their practice rom. I waited as they changed and came out, bouncing around the room in their new uniforms. I was proud of myself for designing it. The outfit was altered to show each cheerleader’s personality but kept my design. They performed a cheer and when they finished, they came up to me, thanking me for the hard work. Hojeong came in to the room, giving me a one-armed hug. He watched as they continued with another cheer.

“Uniforms look great Joo” he told me as he ruffled my hair.

“Thanks Jeong,” I said as we watched in silence for the next minute or so. We walked out of the room and to the café, where I ordered an iced drink. We sat down and Hojeong began to laugh.

“What happened?” I was curious.

“Well, I told my hyungs about yesterday… and Yoonsan was the most disappointed. He said he should’ve taken the chance when he got it but he wasn’t quick enough.”

I laughed. “He was probably joking, he teases me too much.”

“It’s how he shows affection to someone he likes, he does it to everyone but he’s never done it to a girl before until we met you.”

“Oh…” I felt a guilty feeling wash over me. Our drinks came and I sipped on mine, thinking of what I should do. Hojeong sighed.

“Even though I met you first, you went into someone else’s arms instead,” he said sadly, looking at me.

“Jeong…” I tried to interrupt him.

“I knew I should’ve been quicker but I didn’t want to ruin what we had going on. I wanted to wait before asking but Yoon got to it first thanks to his friends,” he sighed again. I took his hand and looked at him.

“Jeong. I’m really sorry, you know that right?”

“I know but sometimes I regret it. But now, I promise to stay by your side as a close friend. You can tell me anything, if you need help or if it’s understanding Yoon in general. I’ve known him for a while so it’s not hard. You got it? Pinkie promise,” he held out his pinkie. I nodded as we linked our pinkies together. We finished our drinks and walked around outside for a bit. When we stopped at a bench to sit down. I looked up at him, who was staring straight ahead. I studied his face more closely. Being the maknae of his hyungs, he still had a bit of baby fat in his cheeks but they showed off his jawline. His brown hair moved in front of his eyes as a breeze went by. Without lifting a hand, he moved his head to flip his hair out of the way. He looked down at me with his brown eyes.

“Something on my face?” he began to run his hand on his face. I shook my head.

“It’s nothing. Just thinking about how life is,” I looked up at the blue sky, wondering what new adventures life would bring me.

 

A/N: Hello everyone! I have to cut this story short as well because I'm getting busier as a junior in high school, homework, catching up on sleep, the usual. I apologize for the extremely lame ending, I'm in a rush tbh. I already have another story planned, waiting to be written, so I hope I will be able to entertain you all with another story. Thank you~