Hojeong

Unexpected

“Have a safe flight Hyojoo! We’ll miss you lots!” my mom said tearfully as she gave me another hug.

“I’ll be fine, it’s only a few hours flight,” I said, patting her back.

“20 hours is not a few hours Kwak Hyojoo,” my dad said when he gave me a hug.

“Sure sure,” I laughed and ran to give my big brother Hyunseong a hug.

“I’ll see you real soon Hyo,” he whispered into my ear.

“Okay oppa, I’ll see you soon,” I said back as he ruffled my hair. “Hey!”

I tried fixing it.

“You have everything? Clothes? Plane ticket? Passport?” my mom said as she grabbed me into another hug.

“Check, check, and check,” I said. “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine, trust me.”

“Enjoy the trip! Text me when you get there okay?” Hyunseong said as the announcement for my flight rang throughout the terminal.

“Yeah yeah, I will,” I took out my plane ticket and passport and handed them to the lady. She scanned them and let me through. I waved goodbye to my family for the last time. I found my seat near the window on the plane and tried hoisting my carry on into the compartment above.

“Here, let me help, I’m guessing we’re seat partners?” I heard a voice and a hand grabbed my carry on and easily lifted it up, carefully putting it into the luggage compartment. I looked up and saw a guy around my age standing next to me. Wow he’s handsome. I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Ah yes, thank you for your help,” I said as I sat down in my window seat. The guy sat down next to me and held out a hand.

“I’m Hojeong, I’m going to the States to study.”

“Oh I’m Hyojoo but you can call me either Hyo or Joo. I’m on the plane for the same reason too actually.”

“Nice, what school you going to?”

“It’s called Diamond Lake.”

“Wow! I’m going there too!”

“What a coincidence,” I laughed. “What are you planning to major in?”

“Something in business, that’s all I know so far.”

“Nice, I’m planning to go into fashion designing. Shouldn’t be that bad.”

The plane started to lift off up the ground. I found myself getting sleepy but I still wanted to talk with Hojeong.

“Hyo, go to sleep, what time did you wake up today? You look tired. You can use my shoulder as a pillow if you promise we can be friends.”

“I thought we already were,” I said as yawned. I leaned my head against his shoulder and closed my eyes. I felt his head rest on top of mines before falling asleep completely.

Hojeong woke me up a few hours later for dinner.

“Joojoo, wake up,” he shook me.

“Since when did my name become Joojoo?” I sleepily woke up and rubbed my eyes.

“Since you met me. What did you want to eat?”

I looked down at the menu. I quickly ordered something and pulled the little table in front of me down as the hostess put my meal down in front of me and a meal for Hojeong. We ate quickly, then relaxed in our seats. I checked my phone. Why can’t we land already? I yawned.

“Sleepy again?” Hojeong asked.

“A little bit,” I admitted, a part of me wishing I could use Hojeong’s shoulder as a pillow again.

“Sleep. I’ll be sleeping as well,” he gently took the other side of my head that wasn’t facing him and leaned it onto his shoulder, his head plopping onto mine after. We both fell asleep.

When I woke up, Hojeong was already ordering breakfast. The hostess put down his meal and addressed me.

“And the same for you miss?”

“Yes please,” I said and Hojeong turned to me.

“I didn’t even know you were awake.”

“I just woke up that’s why silly,” I poked him as the lady set down a hot meal in front of me. “Thank you.”

She smiled and turned to the other side, handing out breakfasts to them as well. Hojeong and I ate our breakfast and I checked my phone again.

“Only a few more hours,” I reported and shut my phone away.

“That’s good. So… what’s your favorite food?”

“Anything and everything not spicy. You?”

“Everything spicy! Favorite song?”

“I listen to anything k-pop. You?”

“Same,” we high fived. “Hobbies?”

“I like roller skating and just chilling around, being lazy.”

“I’ve never roller skated before, it looks hard. Favorite month?”

“March. You?”

“October. Biggest fear?”

“Insects that crawl, spiders, anything like that. You?”

We went back and forth, Hojeong making up questions and I answered, then shooting the same question right back at him. After a few more hours of questioning, the plane began to descend. Hojeong wrote something on a slip of paper and handed it to me.

“You better text me when you get settled in okay?”

I put it into my bag. “Of course.”

When the plane fully landed, Hojeong grabbed our stuff from the luggage compartment and we headed outside.

“Anyone picking you up?” he asked as we went to go get our luggage.

“No, I’m taking the taxi.”

“Did you wanna join me? You’re planning on staying at the dorms right? I can take you there.”

I thought about it. My luggage was pretty heavy. “You have enough room?”

“Plenty. I’m taking that as a yes?”

“Sure why not,” I pointed at my luggage, which was heading towards us. Hojeong grabbed it and set it in front of me. He grabbed 2 more suitcases and we wheeled them outside. I saw many cars and buses and a limo was parked at the curb. That limo is definitely not ours. However, Hojeong wheeled right up to it and knocked on the window. A man dressed like a butler came over and began loading the suitcases into the back.

“Don’t forget Hyo’s luggage as well!” Hojeong pointed at my suitcase and the butler lifted it up with ease and put it into the back as well. Then he opened the door for us.

“Your favorite tea has already been brewed Mr. Go.”

Hojeong cringed at the formal name and stepped into the limo. He poked his head out when I didn’t follow. “Well? Get in!”

I quickly followed him inside. The butler started up the car and Hojeong began to pour himself a cup of tea. He offered me a cup, which I took. It had a nice aroma to it.

“Rose tea. Smells nice doesn’t it?” Hojeong sipped at his own cup. “Why do you look so surprised at this?”

“You could’ve mentioned you came from a wealthy family or something…” I said weakly. Hojeong sheepishly smiled at me.

“I wanted to but I didn’t want to dampen the mood we had going on. Being wealthy is hard sometimes,” he sipped at his tea. “But it has its uses as well. You should live with me Joo. I’ve got plenty of room at my place.”

I was sipping at my own tea and almost spit it back into the cup when he said that.

“No it’s fine Hojeong, my brother would kill me.”

“Ahh he’s that kind of brother.”

“Yeah…” I stared at my cup. The limo stopped and Hojeong looked out the window.

“We’re here.”

We both got out and I stared up at the mansion in front of us.

“You live here Hojeong?”

“Yeah. The school is right next to us see?”

He pointed and I turned to see a huge building only a few meters away from where we were standing.

“I can walk to school basically. Hey, did you wanna meet my brothers?” Hojeong grabbed me excitedly.

“Um, sure?”

“Dan hyung, can you bring her stuff to the dorms? I’ll send her back after we’re done.”

The butler nodded and took my stuff out of the car. Then he began to wheel it towards the building. Hojeong took me inside the gates, where gardeners were t the lawn. They waved and bowed towards Hojeong. He waved them off and he opened the front door. We heard footsteps from upstairs. And then—

“JEONG!” I was knocked backwards into the doorframe as another guy ran out of nowhere and gave Hojeong a huge hug.

“Ah hyung, you almost hurt Hyo!” Hojeong patted the guys back and extricated himself out, turning back to me. I was rubbing the spot where I bumped into but put my hand down when Hojeong turned to me. I looked at the guy, who was looking right back at me.

“Girlfriend already Hojeong?” he asked, smirking.

“No!” Hojeong turned to him. From behind, I could see his ears turning red. I stepped up and held out my hand to the guy.

“Kwak Hyojoo. Hojeong’s friend. We met on the plane.”

“So you just brought a random girl from the plane after you guys became friends?”

We heard another voice from upstairs. A handsome man was descending from the stairs. He stopped in front of me and shook my still outstretched hand. “Junhyuk. This one is Taehyun.”

He gestured to the first guy. “That’s Timoteo.”

He pointed to a guy coming from another room, who froze and stared at me.

“Hyung have you seen my t-shirt? I can’t find it!” a voice came from upstairs and a shirtless guy came down the stairs. I felt myself go red and Hojeong quickly covered my eyes.

“Yoonsan hyung! Put a shirt on!” Hojeong said, as he dragged me behind him.

“Sorry sorry, I’m trying to find on right now…” the guy said. After a few seconds, Hojeong brought me out, where the guy was just putting on a shirt. A hand suddenly clapped my shoulder from behind, making me shriek and jump away.

“Whoa sorry!” he said.

“Sungwoon hyung!” Hojeong high fived him. “So that’s it. You’ve officially met all my brothers.”

I counted in my head. “So you’re the youngest out of the 6?”

“Yep,” he nodded. “Let’s head to the living room.”

We all sat down on the couch or seats available. Taehyun kept staring at me, making me uncomfortable.

“I’ll admit it, she’s very pretty Jeong,” he said after a few minutes. I felt my face go red and looked down, using my hair to shield my face.

“She’s his ideal type, that’s why he brought her home,” Timoteo said.

“It’s not like that!” Hojeong began to protest but his brothers drowned out his voice. I began to think. I’m not that pretty am I? I caught my reflection in the mirror across from me. Long wavy black hair with light brown highlights. A small face. Petite build. This is what Hojeong likes? I felt someone staring at the side of my head and turned, finding Yoonsan’s face just centimeters away from my own. Startled, I leaned back, to find Junhyuk grab my shoulders from behind. Hojeong was shoved into the sofa as Yoonsan stared. I stared back at him and tilted my head a bit. He suddenly burst into a smile.

“That’s the aegyo I was looking for! She’s mine!” Yoonsan grabbed me and pulled me into a hug, my face buried into his chest.

“Ay hyung!” Hojeong tried to separate us. After he did, he pulled me close until I was sitting on his lap. “Go away hyung.”

“Hojeong don’t scare her,” Junhyuk stood up, taking me with him. “Hyojoo, are you staying at the dorms? We’ll walk you there if you’d like.”

“Um, I can get there myself…” I said but Hojeong and the rest cut me off.

“We’ll take you!”

“Let’s go,” Junhyuk steered us out to the front door and we began to walk towards the building. After a few minutes, we stopped in front of a door. “These are the dorms. Just ask for your room number and they’ll page your roommate that you’ll be on your way.”

Roommate? I was suddenly nervous. “Okay, thanks guys, I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

“Bye!” the others said and left. Hojeong ran back and gave me a hug before going off again. I entered the lobby, where a lady behind a desk sat.

“Kwak Hyojoo?”

“Uh yes that’s me,” I walked over to her.

“Your room number is 87. 5th floor. You can take the elevators or the stairs.”

“Elevator thanks…”

She pointed to the silver doors of the elevator, where a man was standing. When I approached, he asked me, “Which floor?”

“5th floor please.”

He pushed the up button for me and the elevator doors opened. I stepped into the elevator and the doors closed. I pushed the 5 button. It began to go up. 1st floor… 2nd… 3rd… 4th… 5th! The elevator dinged and I stepped out. Room 87… I found it on the left side of the hallway and knocked. The door was answered by a girl with short blonde hair.

“Hi! Kwak Hyojoo?”

“Yes that’s me.”

“Nice to meet you! I’m Choa, your roommate! Come in.”

She stepped aside to let me in and I found myself in a clean dorm room.

“I cleaned up before you got here since I didn’t know what you’d be like…” Choa said.

“It’s fine, don’t worry,” I stepped up to a bed where all my stuff had been placed neatly.

“A butler came in a dropped off your stuff, I thought he was my roommate for a second and almost had a heart attack!” (A/N: I had to do that, I just had to, I am so sorry LOL)

She seems nice. I laughed along with her and sat down on the bed. “Sorry if I scared you.”

“No worries. Do we have any classes together? I can show you around since you’re new.”

I handed her my class schedule, which she quickly compared with hers. “We even have the same classes! How neat!”

“I’ll just follow you then!”

“I hope you can handle it, there’s not that many girls in that class, it’s mostly guys.”

“I’ll be fine,” I thought of Hojeong and wondered what classes he had.

“You should get some rest. We’ve got classes tomorrow.”

“Okay,” I took my pajamas out of my luggage and changed in the bathroom. Choa had already fallen asleep on her bed so I tiptoed into my bed and fell asleep right after.