New Couple

Unexpected

Choa was in my room again when I woke up.

“Choa! Again?” I was still sleepy.

“Actually, I need a favor,” she walked over to me and sat down on my bed.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“We need new cheerleading outfits and I volunteered you to design them,” she explained. “Practice will start soon so the coach was wondering if you could come with me to see if you can get any inspiration from it.”

“Okay, I’m not doing anything today anyway,” I got up and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Choa came in and began to brush my hair.

“I already told your brother about it, I caught him just before he was about to leave the house.”

“He’s leaving somewhere?” I didn’t know he too had plans today. After drying my face, Choa and I looked in my closet.

“You should wear this,” she held up a purple gypsy skirt. I was holding a corset top that would go along well with it.

“Sure, I’ll get changed then we can leave,” I said as I went into the bathroom again. I grabbed a bag and put anything I would need into it. After meeting up with Choa outside, I locked up the house and we walked to the car that was outside. I got into the front seat.

“Choa, I didn’t know you could drive!”

“Yeah, I look older than my age, the person who did my driver’s license let me get away with it.”

We drove until we reached the campus. She led me to the practice room, where I sat on the bleachers and took out my sketchpad. After a few minutes, Hojeong came into the room, where he looked surprised to see me.

“Joo?”

“Hojeong!” I gave him a hug before we sat down together. “What are you doing here?”

“My friend’s a cheerleader, we usually hang out after their practices,” he explained. “I could ask the same for you Joo.”

“Choa signed me up to design new cheer outfits for the team.”

“I’ll help if you need it,” he offered.

“I’ll need all the help I can get Jeong,” I laughed as the cheerleaders came out. I could easily spot Choa’s head of blonde hair out of the sea of darker hues. I saw Hyei and Jiyoon and waved to them and they waved back, getting into position. The coach started the music and I watched as they began to do a series of flips, cartwheels, tumbling, splits, and throwing each other around. As I watched, I saw the first problem. Hojeong seemed to read my mind.

“Why are the guys’ pants so tight looking?” he asked me.

“It’s not just the guys’ pants, the girls’ skirts are too tight around their legs as well,” I continued to study them. They finished their routine with a tall pyramid. Choa and the rest came over to me. Hyei quickly introduced me to everyone. Hojeong and a guy named Donggyu greeted each other. The coach came over to me.

“Any ideas for new outfits or do we need another round?” she asked. I looked at everyone, who seemed a bit breathless from their routine.

“I’m fine, I can come up with something, no need for another round,” I said. I heard sighs of relief as they went to pick up water bottles. I began to sketch the girls’ uniform first. Taking the top part of Seungyoon’s design, I quickly copied his drawing. I added the school name in bold block letters to the back of it and their own name on the front when I finished. I looked at the skirt that Seungyoon drew. Like the current skirt that they were wearing, it looked a bit too tight. I began to sketch out different types of skirts on a different page, drawing out an A-line, circle, knife-pleated, paneled, and tulle skirts. Hojeong looked over at it.

“The last one looks good.”

I waved Choa and the girls over. “Mind taking a vote?”

I showed them the drawings. They raised their hands when I pointed to each one, letting them vote however times they wanted. In the end, the A-line skirt won. I drew it with the top as they watched quietly. I looked down at their shoes. Choa noticed what I was going to ask.

“Our shoes are fine, they’re light and comfy to bounce around in,”

“Okay then. Now for the guys,” I turned the page and then began to sketch out a plain V-neck shirt. I put the school name on the back in block letters and their name in the front, similar to the girls’ top. Then I made their pants a bit baggier then their current ones. Then I added buttons to the legs near their thighs.

“You guys can turn them into shorts when you need to. I’ve never seen cheerleading shorts before so why not now?”

Everyone began to cheer as I ripped the designs out and handed them to the coach, who patted me on the back and thanked me, telling me she would submit them as soon as she could. Everyone went back to practicing the routine, looking more pumped up than ever. Hojeong and I stayed for a few more minutes until walking outside again, going around the campus. A few girls came up to me, looking at Hojeong.

“How’d you do it?” one of them asked me.

“Do what?” I was puzzled.

“You’re Seungyoon’s girlfriend aren’t you?” another girl asked me.

“How’d you know?” I was surprised, especially since I knew he hadn’t announced it to the whole school yet. The girls showed me their phones, which was pulled up to Seungyoon’s Instagram. It was the group photo we had taken last night with Seungyoon’s parents. “LOVE” was his caption for it. I hadn’t known he posted it. “Well, I guess the photo says it all…”

The girls began to squeal and jump around. Then they looked at Hojeong and pulled me away from him, to my surprise. Then in unison, they all asked him, “Then who are you?”

“We’re just friends you guys, it’s fine. Right Jeong?” I forced my way through the girls and nudged him.

“Of course,” Hojeong flashed a smile at them and they immediately backed down. They congratulated me and then left. Choa, Hyei, and Jiyoon came out of the practice room, a towel wrapped around their necks, back in their regular clothes.

“What was that about?” Jiyoon asked as she watched the girls leave.

“Just wondering how I managed to go out with the captain of each sport team we’ve got here,” I replied as we began to walk towards the café.

“True, Seungyoon is pretty popular. But…” Hyei lowered her voice down and we all leaned in to listen. “I think that Siwoo fellow really handsome too.”

“Ooh!” Choa, Jiyoon, and I squealed together as Hyei blushed and Hojeong shook his head.

“I’m just saying!” Hyei protested.

“Don’t worry Hyei, I’ll introduce you to him,” I said as I patted her back.

“Please do,” Jiyoon and Choa said as Hyei said, “Please don’t.”

We sat down in the café and ordered some food. As we waited, I saw just the people I was looking for.

“Daesung! Gunwoo! Rokhyun! Siwoo!” I called over to them. They looked over and waved, coming over. Siwoo reached first and sat down in the empty chair, next to Hyei. She immediately blushed and couldn’t speak. I silently laughed in my head as Siwoo looked over at her, looking confused. The rest dragged chairs around the table and we all began to chat. Choa nudged Hyei, who let out a little yelp. Siwoo looked over at her again.

“Did I hit you under the table?” he asked, looking worried.

“No, it’s nothing! Nothing at all,” Hyei stammered. He looked down at his food.

Daesung leaned over to me. “Someone caught the love bug early?”

“Definitely,” we watched as Hyei and Siwoo awkwardly interacted, mostly Siwoo asking her what was wrong and Hyei stammering back a reply, not making eye contact. Daesung suddenly slammed his hand down on the table, startling everyone and we looked at him.

“Party tonight, my place, you’re all invited.”

“It’s a school night though…” I knew Hyunseong wouldn’t let me go.

“Then let’s go right now!” Daesung grabbed me and I grabbed Hojeong, who grabbed Gunwoo, and we were all dragged out of the café in a line, holding onto each other. Daesung stopped in front of a limo and we all got in. After a few minutes of driving, we all got out to find ourselves in front of a nice house. Daesung walked up to the door and unlocked it as we all followed him.

“Hyei, Siwoo, do you mind if you two stay here? We’re just going to get party supplies” Daesung suddenly asked.

“That’s fine,” Hyei squeaked out as Siwoo nodded. Daesung herded the rest out of the room and out the door. Shutting the door, we rushed back into the limo and it pulled away from the curb, stopping at the corner.

“Now we wait,” Daesung leaned back into his seat as we all looked at him.

“In the limo?” Choa asked.

“Yeah? Where else should we go?” Daesung asked.

“To get party supplies?” Jiyoon questioned.

“Don’t be ridiculous, I’ve got plenty of party supplies in my place already. Even though Siwoo’s been there plenty of times, he doesn’t know that,” Daesung replied in a confident tone. We all shook our heads as we sat back in our seats. Just then, Siwoo called on Daesung’s phone. He waited until it rung 3 times, then answered, putting it on speakers.

“Hey Woo, what’s up?”

“We accidentally found your yarn collection…” Siwoo muttered as we heard a squeal from the other side. “How long will you guys be?”

“We shouldn’t take that long Siwoo, just try to clean it up?” Daesung asked hopefully.

“Okay, we’ll see you later then,” Siwoo hung up. Daesung pressed an app on his phone and it showed up on the TV in the limo. We looked and saw it was the interior of his house and miles and miles of yarn was everywhere. Hyei showed up on screen, chasing a ball of yarn down the stairs as Siwoo picked up the string in the hallway, only making it more tangled as he picked it up.

“My precious yarn…” Daesung whimpered as I patted his back.

“Why so much yarn though?” I was finding it hilarious as we watched Hyei and Siwoo struggle to clean up the house.

“I like knitting gifts for people,” Daesung shrugged then opened the door to the limo. We all got out and stood at the corner of the sidewalk. He began to walk towards his place slowly. “We’ll burst in on them got it?”

We all nodded and slowly walked along with him. When we reached the front door, Daesung flung it open to reveal Siwoo and Hyei sitting on the floor with the yarn as Hyei threw yarn onto Siwoo’s head and they laughed. They looked up at us.

“About time you guys showed up. We need some help,” Hyei said as they stood up, yarn falling off of them as they did. Daesung stood there speechless at first. Then closing his jaw, he ran over to Siwoo and Hyei, wrapping his arms around them.

“I knew it would succeed!” Daesung began to jump around happily. I began to jump around with him too and everyone was jumping except for Hyei and Siwoo, who looked confused.

“What plan?” Siwoo yelled over our cheering. We all stopped and looked at them. Daesung spoke up first.

“Siwoo, you can be really clueless can’t you?” Daesung asked.

“Huh?” Siwoo was confused.

“Hyei likes you!” Jiyoon, Choa, and I exclaimed. We saw them both turn red when they looked at each other. Daesung ushered us outside again and back into the limo, which was still at the corner. He turned the TV back on and we watched as we saw Siwoo lead Hyei to the couch and they sat awkwardly. Hyei started up a conversation and Siwoo replied. They went back and forth until Siwoo suddenly hugged Hyei, making everyone in the limo either squeal in delight or yell at the TV. We rushed out of the limo and back into the house, where Hyei and Siwoo were clearing up the yarn, looking happier than we had ever seen them. We began to help clear up as well, each of us grabbing a different color yarn and rolling it up into a ball in our hands. After a few more hours, we had finished and sat down in the living room.

“How did all that yarn get out from the cabinet anyway?” Daesung asked.

“I opened it to look for some decorations and it just tumbled out,” Hyei explained. “Then when I chased it, I ended up going around the entire house trying to pick it up. Siwoo tried to help but…”

“Well at least we cleaned it up. I’m too tired to even throw a party anymore. Let’s just head home for today, we got school tomorrow,” Daesung yawned as he led us out and waved us off as we got into the limo. We were dropped off one by one until I was left with Siwoo. When it was my stop, I turned to him.

“Take care of Hyei for me okay?”

“Of course.”

I stepped out and Hyunseong greeted me at the door.

“How was your day oppa?” I asked.

“I went to a job interview, they’ll tell me if I got it or not by the end of the week,” he told me.

“Aww, you should’ve told me so I could’ve went with you!” I hit his arm.

“Choa told me you guys had plans so I left,” he winced as he rubbed his arm.

“Well I guess that’s true…” I said.

“Did you eat already?” he asked as he went up to his room.

“Yeah, Daesung fed us before leaving,” I went into my room and shut the door. I took out my phone and texted Seungyoon.

Me: hey Yoon! How was your day?

Yoon: Joo! I had basketball practice, our next game is this Wednesday so we had to go practice. What about your day?

I stopped, hesitating to tell him about the impromptu party Daesung had and the new couple that included his friend and mines. In the end, I texted him.

Me: it was fun, Daesung threw a little party and Siwoo and Hyei got together finally. It was cute! I’ll see you tomorrow in class Yoon, nite nite! ^^

I put my phone away and then changed into my pajamas. Then I flopped into my bed and fell asleep.