snowflake16: Green Rose

✾ poison apple review shop ✾
MAIN HEADER

Poison Apple

 

Genre: Dark Comedy, Romance

 

Characters: L, Hongbin, Leo, Kris, Krystal.

 

Status: Completed

 

Surprise tickets, a brooding roommate, a vision of no origin followed by an unexpected twist of the hull, Myungsoo finds himself into a swashbuckling adventure that he never signed up for. In the realm of sea exist monsters beyond comprehension and situations difficult to grasp. Amid the chaos he finds both love and treachery. But will he know which to keep?

Notes From Reviewer

 

Please don't take my review too seriously to heart. My opinion might be different from what other people think about your story. If you want me to re-review your story after you write more chapters, I would be happy to. 

Title (5/5)

I think your title is pretty good, it is short and does create an aura of mystery. It makes me want to read more or at least get to the description. I think it brings up a weird connection to Rose form Titantic but it might just be me. Good job on this beautiful title. 

Description & Foreword (08/10)

It is a nice description, like something I would find on the back of a romance novel actually which is something I really like. It gives me a clue about the plot without actually revealing the conflict or people involved. Though the description and foreward itself is a little bland looking, and could have been more eye-catching. Overall, it was not too bad. 

Plot (6.5/10)

I did not finish past chapter 3 of your story. I think you are leaving a lot of the plot out on the first few chapters. Characters appear without much of an introduction such as the boy. I actually had to reread that part a couple times. I also wished you had given more background on the story so it would be more interesting to know about the curse. Like, why is the ship still running if there are rumors of it being haunted? I felt like you did no elaborate a lot about new characters and I got really confused, and even though I understood some references you made with Zhou Mi and SNSD but someone who are not familiar with those groups might not. 

HOWEVER, I like what you have planned with all the horror and ghost, just thought it could have been more well planned out. You had a good thing going until the new characters showed up and I felt it really confused the story line. Also please do not tell me that "I should have read the whole thing" to understand, yes I understand that point has some merit but if I was confused to begin with, that is never a good sign. You had something good going, but could have executed better. I feel that I have been very generous with this situation. 

Writing Style (18/20)

Your style of writing is not bad but I feel like you could have used more description when your character speaks. You have such good setting description but it is not consistent throughout the piece. That is my only advice for this part but overall it was pretty good. Keep up the good work. 

Characterization (5.5/10)

I feel like for the first chapter, you were lacking some essential characterization of your character especially relationship-wise, like how does Leo know Hongbin? It seemed random and gives me a plot- hole. This issue really continues throughout the story because it makes it hard to see how the stories connect with each other. You got some basic characterization going on but you still need to expand more on characters. Give them motivation, a past and just some juice. Think of them as read people okay? Like you want them to have some soul but you get points for the basics and for attempting to make the character realistic. 

Flow (7.5/10)

Your first two chapter was okay and good but you kinda lost me at the 3rd chapter and I think that was when things got fuzzy for me. You need to make sure the story isn't changing speed too fast without backing up the flow. So just be aware of that. The sudden meeting with the two monsters was too sudden for me, there weren't really hint of it before so it took me on a ride that made me lost. 

Personal Enjoyment (03/5)

Like I said with everything above. Plot idea was just beautiful but could have been better planned out. I wish I could have read more but I just got too confused and lost over the story. You had such a good thing going, just make sure characters are not too 2D. 

Overall (53.5/70) ~ 76%