The interview

Comes with the job

The first proper look Joonmyun gets at Yifan is when he sits across from him and gets all the equipment and he'll need for the interview out from his bag. Even from just sitting down, he's already an intimidating figure and doesn't even need to say or do anything for Joonmyun to slightly fear him. His face is expressionless, mouth pressed into a thin line. He looks as he has done in every photo that has appeared alongside articles that Joonmyun has read about him, though his hair is now back to his natural colour of black, a completely different shade to the blonde that he was previously.

"For someone who works for the company they sent you from today, I would have at least expected you to come looking slightly more professional" Yifan comments and Joonmyun is taken aback by not just how monotonous his voice is, but also slightly offended that Yifan- in layman terms- had technically called him scruffy.

"Well unlike others at the company they haven't just come out of graduating from university and straight into a job they initially thought they were never going to get due to inexperience" he replies "But I do apologise if I am not up to standard"

Yifan says nothing but does raise an eyebrow and smirks as Joonmyun sets his recording device out in front of the table and gathered his notepad, pen, and sheet of paper containing the questions onto his lap. The two of them are surrounded in silence as Joonmyun leans forward and presses the record button to officially commence the interview.

"How long has it been since you graduated then?"

Yifan is the first to ask the question. It's not exactly how Joonmyun planned the interview to go, but if he's willing to keep people happy

"Literally this year. Went straight out of uni and into a job, not many people get an opportunity like this and I'm greatful for this to say the least"

"I never thought it would be so difficult getting a job. Hearing so much positivity about this country you'd at least think people would walk straight into a job" Yifan comments

"Ah yes, I forgot most people could just go to university and then come back with a job offered to them on a silver platter from their father's company" Joonmyun shoots back. He has no idea where the hell he got the courage from to say that, but he does take some pleasure in seeing how affronted- almost offended- Yifan looks. He quickly moves onto the first question.

"S-so university" he begins "You transferred to Canada after a gap year to do... do what exactly?"

"Tavelled a bit, went to a few parties that took my fancy. I wanted to get out and enjoy my time for a while. Came home, decided that the university I was previously attending wasn't for me and transferred"

"To Canada?"

"Like I said; I wanted to get out. I had to just... keep myself away from all of this for a while" Yifan explains and Joonmyun writes a quick note in his pad- get away from what? the stress of what is expected from him in the future? - and underlines it before moving onto his next question.

"So you move to Canada, spend the time learning English, correct?" he asks and waits for Yifan to nod before continuing "Gotta tell you, quite a lot of people were surprised when they found out that was what you had chosen to study, they thought you would have gone on to further study economics like your father"

"And let me guess, you want to know just how surprised he was when I told him I would be moving to Canada for the remainder of my university life, correct?" it's exactly what Joonmun had planned on asking him. Nodding his head, Joonmyun is surprised when he hears Yifan scoff before shaking his head, leaning over to pick up the recording device and bring it closer to his mouth.

"The interviewee at this point would like to point out that if the person across from me is trying to steer the questions towards my private, I have no intention on answering them. It's called a private life for a reason and to put it politely he should really try to out"

Once again he has the upper hand, almost laughing at how shocked Joonmyun looks when he sets the recorder back down onto the table and leans back in his seat, sending a look himself which basically challenged Joonmyun to do his worst. Not one to lose easily Joonmyun actually laughs- out of disbelief that Yifan could be just so rude and do something like that- and leans forward to pick up the recorder himself. Two could play this game.

"Well the interviewer would like to point out that all questions selected for the duration of this interview were carefully selected beforehand and checked upon entering the facility in order to make sure that nothing asked was likely going to offend the interviewee today. If he wishes to see then I can happily show him the questions"

Joonmyun then leans over the table and holds out the sheet of paper containing the selected questions- passed by the receptionist who checked over them beforehand could he add- waiting for Yifan to take it. When he made no inclination to do so Joonmyun shrugged his shoulders and put the paper back down onto his lap.

"If that will be all then" he finishes and places the recorder back down onto the table himself.

If this was all the duration of the interview was going to be like, then Joonmyun's patience was going to wear thin very quickly. One of his biggest pet peeves was people who were continually rude to him and seemed to take everything as a joke, like in this situation where all Joonmyun wanted to do was keep his job. All the reports he had read previously were indeed correct in that Yifan was a difficult person to work with and he was doing a damn good job of completely ruining any sort of idea Joonmyun had to possibly save this interview from turning into one of the biggest regrets of his life so far.

"Look how about I make this easier for you because this interview is taking so long it's literally torturing me" Yifan suggests and doesn't wait for Joonmyun's answer before speaking again "Recently graduated from university in Canada and yes my father was present for the graduation ceremony. Decided to learn English because, come on, be real here I've grown up with the company I know more about business and economics than most people who have studied for the job. This was just something I decdied to do because I wanted to challenge myself for once in my life. I will obviously continue to play some sort of a role for this company and in the future I shall collaborating more alongside my father to help it grow"

Finishing his speech, Yifan leans across the table and presses the stop button on the recorder. Joonmyun looks utterly horrified and is completely speechless as Yifan looks back at him and there's that smirk again which Joonmyun is so close to punching off of his face.

"I think we're done for today"

Wow. Okay. That was not how Joonmyun would have expected the interview to go. Before walking into the office he was completely terrified that he was going to screw this up, but he had a strong feeling that he was going to leave the office extremely angry. Not only had Yifan just played this like a joke the whole time, but by cutting off the interview like that Joonmyun had not covered nearly enough of what he wanted to ask and there was no way enough content was covered to allow him the chance of writing a decent article.

"Unbelievable" he mutters and laughs out of disbelief as he gathers his belongings together "You know what people say about you is right. You're rude, uncooperative and extremely obnoxious"

Watching how flustered and red faced he's becoming Yifan this time cannot hold his laughter in, which only causes Joonmyun to become even angrier

"If you're getting this angry now I can't wait to see how the article turns out"

Is he seriously saying this? No, no, the correct question Joonmyun should be asking himself is if he's always as annoying as this? He's just too damn angry and frustrated at present to really waste any breath asking him so.

"Oh trust me I can assure you it's going to be accurate and to the pont of today's events. You're just going to love it!" Joonmyun replies, a little sarcastically at the end, and marches out of the office where Yifan can still hear him grumbling angrily to himself the further he moves down the hall.

Making a move himself, Yifan stops when an object on the floor catches his eye. Picking it up, it's a gold pen with fancy writing scribbled across the side reading; Kim Joonmyun, Class of 2015. Obviously Yifan's not going to run after Joonmyun over some silly pen, instead he pockets it and walks out of the office himself, whistling happily as he saunters down the hallway.

 

 

Just having to listen over the interview again is enough to anger Joonmyun all over again. Looking over his notepad, it was completely useless because he had only written one valid point and sometime during the interview the words jerk, rude, and arrogant had made their way onto the page as well.

"I think we're done for today" he mocks in Yifan's voice "Just who does he think he is?" and because he has his earphones in listening to the recording, he's slightly louder than what he intended to be.

"I take it the interview didn't go well then?" Luhan asks as Joonmyun pulls his earphones out with a sigh and shakes his head

"It was disasterous. He did not take it seriously at all, he thought it was all just one big joke. Obviously I shot back as good as he gave, but he was just impossible to work with!" 

"Ah relax kid, you're not the first to fall victim to Wu Yifan and I'm sure you won't be the last" Luhan reassures

"I know that... but there's hardly any content in this recording, I think it's going to be impossible to write anything!" Joonmyun says and groans as his head falls into his hands. How come he had to be lumped with this for his first interview?

"How about this; get away from your desk for a while, go out and clear your mind so that everything can be put behind you before you go back to writing. I'm hopping out now for some fresh air if you want to join me"

Joonmyun happily takes Luhan up on that offer, jumping out of his seat to join him for the walk even before Luhan has finished speaking

"Has your day been remotely better than mine?" he asks

"If you count writing an article and helping put a possible report together avout a possible category four typhoon that's about to hit Taiwan as better than your day, then yeah. Not if you have to sit with the weather experts for over an hour to get it completely correct and hearing terminology you have never heard of before constantly pop up throughout the meeting" Luhan replies and Joonmyun playfully agrees that both of them have had pretty rubbish starts to the day compared to others.

Though the walk is relatively short and lasts for approximately twenty minutes, it does miracles in helping Joonmyun calm himself down and take all negative memories from the morning's interview away from him. By the time he's back at his desk, he's not exactly over what had happened earlier, but he's able to reassure himself that if he works hard enough then just maybe he could get an article written somehow.


Phew!

So yeah, in this chapter we get the dreaded interview and a full scale profile of Yifan. Here we see what Yifan would think is banter and is playing around with Joonmyun who gets really teasy really easily, but still gives Yifan a run for his money. Basically it's not like how most interviews go is it?

Next chapter we get the aftermath of an article with the appearance of the boss... a new character!!

Until then!!