The Ex-human

Bad Blood [ON HOLD]

Pure white with patches of red. It’s been a few weeks since I was introduced to this boy before me. He doesn’t speak, he doesn’t smile, and he doesn’t care. I know he’s hurting. I know he is in pain because of what had happened to his family. Why do these things keep on happening to children like us? Why must we feel so much fear and pain at a young age?

Jongin is twelve and I’m thirteen. I’m a year older but that doesn’t mean I’m the mature one. We’re children; we can’t comprehend the deepest and darkest parts of the world yet. So why do they keep on happening to us? This emotional downfall is too much for us to take. Even if Jongin is the strong one here, I can feel that he would break.

“What… What are you doing Jongin ah?” I asked in horror. I was about to call him for dinner, I went in his room to find him sitting on the floor and he was bleeding.

“It’s disgusting.” He murmured as he clawed on his neck. His nails were sharp, they created lines on his soft skin and they bled uncontrollably from all his scratching. “I can feel that man’s touch. It’s disgusting.” He glared on the floor and continued to hurt himself.

I don’t like seeing him like this. I don’t want to see him like this. It hurts to see him in so much pain. I’ve treated him like a brother even if it has been only a few weeks since he came. And for me, seeing my family hurt, gives me heartaches.

The tiled floor in Jongin’s room was stained with his blood. How long had he been scratching his neck like that?! There was so much blood on his shirt and his hands. I don’t want to see this anymore.

I walked over to him and pulled his hand away. “Stop.” I mumbled and he looked back at me. He looked surprised the moment I held on his bleeding neck. “It’s okay now, Jongin. Please, stop.”

“How can it be okay? I can still feel that man’s presence, nothing is okay until he is dead.” His fists closed and he tried to pull back but I held on. “As long as I’m here, Jongin, I won’t let that man near you, ever.” My voice was shaking. Why was it shaking?

“Why are you crying?” he suddenly asked. Oh so that’s why my voice shook. I didn’t realize that I was crying until he pointed it out.

“I hate seeing you like this. Jongin, I will protect you. I know I’m not that strong but I will do my best to not let that man get to you.” I said. “Why? You barely even know me.” he asked but I, in turn, replied with a smile.

“Because, we’re now a family.”

 

***

 

Luhan walked around the Academy. It’s been an hour since he went back to Intercross with Sehun after the Prince saved him from a dreaded monster. It made him shiver. He didn’t want to remember that incident but it was, of course, still fresh in his memory.

Those monsters were nothing like the Vampires he had come to know. What were those things? Luhan didn’t know. He didn’t get to ask Sehun because the moment they appeared outside Luhan’s dorm, Sehun had excused himself and then disappeared. Then Kris had opened the door for him since he left his keys.

“You’re still going?” Kris asked him and Luhan nodded. “I still have my Guardian duties. I can manage the night.” he replied and stood up. “Well, take care then. And bring your keys.” The latter reminded and Luhan nodded before leaving the room and heading out to find his partner.

But Jongin wasn’t in his room. Luhan wondered where the younger was. Did he start patrolling already?

“Maybe I’ll see him when I walk around.” He mumbled to himself and started to patrol. It was dark out already since he and Sehun returned around eight in the evening. Night Class classes already began and all of the Vampires were in their respective classrooms.

Luhan continued to walk; a flashlight was on his hand as he passed by the hallways of the main building where the Chairman’s office was. Then he saw a light coming from the said office. Luhan then had the urge to go and talk to his brother about the incident he had encountered; maybe Lay had an idea about what those monsters were. Besides, Lay was a Vampire Hunter before.

The Guardian headed towards the office but right after passing by the staircase, he saw a mop of messy brown hair. Luhan stopped and looked down to see Kai sitting at the bottom floor. He looked tired and exhausted, he was breathing heavily and even if Luhan couldn’t see it, he could tell that the latter was in pain.

“Jongin!” Luhan called as he ran down the steps of the staircase. Kai looked up and tried to stand. He wasn’t feeling very well and he knew why. That’s why the moment he heard Luhan’s voice, he panicked and he wanted to leave. But in his weakened state, he ended up dropping back down on the floor.

“Hey, Jongin are you okay? What happened to you? Where did you go after you went in town? I lost you in there.” Luhan bombarded him with questions but Kai couldn’t answer. His throat was parched and he was dying to drink something warm and sweet. “Jongin! Hey Jongin!” Luhan shook Kai’s body and he held on his forehead. Luhan felt that the younger was cold; dead cold. He knew he needed to take Kai to clinic or at least give him some medicine to drink so he pulled the latter up to his feet.

“Come on, Jongin. I’m taking you to the clinic.” Luhan said and Kai protested. He didn’t want to be around Luhan. It was starting.

“Don’t be stubborn, Kim. We need to give you some medicines or something.” Luhan gripped on Kai’s arm and hauled it over his shoulder.

Kai breathed heavily. He could smell Luhan’s scent and it brought him to edge. The smell was sweet, intoxicating, and very addicting. He couldn’t handle the will of the monster within him, it was too strong for him to suppress; he wanted to have a taste of the sweetness before him.

And so he did.

“J-Jongin?” Luhan wondered when Kai suddenly wrapped his arm around Luhan’s neck. Kai held on Luhan’s head and he tilted it sideways to get a better view of the latter’s skin. “W-What are you----” Luhan stopped when he felt something warm and wet on his skin. His eyes went wide when he realized that Kai had his neck. He didn’t know what to think, he didn’t understand what was going on. His mind was a mess, until he felt something sharp pierce his skin.

“W-Wha---” Luhan couldn’t move. Kai bit him. The pain in his neck throbbed and his eyes went a little wider when he heard Kai slurping. Kai was drinking his blood. In shock, and complete horror, Luhan pushed Kai away with all his might and he held on his bleeding neck. And there, Luhan saw the change in his partner’s features.

Kai had blood red eyes, his uniform was stained and his mouth was red from all the blood he drank. Luhan watched as Kai stuck out his tongue and the blood off his fangs. Fangs? Kai has fangs? He didn’t understand how that could be, but there was one thing he’s certain about.

“Y-You’re a Vampire...” Luhan choked out and Kai turned to him and his blood red eyes turned back to their original color. “Jongin. Why are you…” he heard his hyung say and that’s when Kai realized what he had done. His eyes widened in horror as he stared at Luhan’s bleeding neck.

“Hyung… I’m…” Kai wanted to apologize but he knows he needed more than an apology to make up to the latter for what he had done. He reached out his hand towards the human but he was put to a stop when someone appeared in between them and batted his hand away.

“Don’t touch him.” Luhan was surprised when he recognized the familiar tone of the Pureblood Prince.

Sehun stood in between Luhan and Kai. He was furious and Kai could tell by the darkening of the Prince’s eyes. “You finally let out the monster within you. I knew it would come around.” Sehun said and Luhan’s eyes widened. He knows about this?

Suddenly, Luhan had a flashback of what had happened in the past. He remembered Sehun killing the rogue Vampire that tried to hurt him. Fear suddenly crept up on Luhan’s mind; fear that Sehun would kill Kai because he had hurt him.

“Wait. Sehun, don’t hurt hi---” Luhan fell backwards and Sehun caught him in an instant. He carried him like a princess and he looked dead at Kai’s eyes.

“You drank too much, Kai. Was his blood really that delicious?” the Prince asked and Kai covered his mouth in horror. It happened. He has hurt Luhan and he has succumbed to being the monster he was supposed to be.

“Deal with this. I don’t want him near Luhan hyung right now.” Sehun said and disappeared, that is when Kai saw Kyungsoo at the top of the stairs. His eyes were a dark shade of red and he jumped down to meet the newborn, face to face.

 “I told you before, Kim Jongin. My eyes don’t lie.”

 

***

 

Sehun placed his hand on Luhan’s neck. The bleeding had stopped and the wound had closed but he could still see the marks. Kai must’ve bitten him with all his strength.

Finally, Luhan opened his eyes, he felt a little light headed and he unconsciously held on his neck. He then looked around to see Sehun watching him. “S-Sehun?” he asked and the latter’s voice put Sehun’s mind at ease.

“S-Sehun! Where’s Jongin?!” Luhan suddenly panicked; he bolted up from the bed, making him feel even dizzier and Sehun held on his shoulders to keep him from falling.

“Calm down, hyung. He’s with my brother.” Sehun replied and sat on the bed. He stared into the human’s eyes and he could tell that Luhan was way beyond confused.

“Are you alright?” Sehun asked and Luhan took a moment before nodding. He wasn’t alright. He was worse than not alright. He didn’t understand what had happened. Why was Kai a vampire? How did that happen? He was a human for all Luhan knows.

“Hyung.” Sehun called and Luhan looked up to meet the Prince’s worried eyes. Luhan was then surprised when the latter held on his face, wiping his cheeks because of the tears. Wait… why am I crying?

Luhan didn’t know why his eyes started to produce waterfalls. What was he crying about? Was he crying because Kai bit him? Or was it because all this time, Luhan knew nothing about Kai’s inner battle with the Vampire instinct within him? Did he feel burdened at the thought that Kai was suffering on his own all these years?

“Are you scared of Vampires now?” Sehun suddenly asked out of the blue but Luhan shook his head. Still, there was no way he’d be scared of them; at least not the ones in the Night Class.

 “H-How did this happen?” Luhan finally asked when Lay suddenly came into view.

“Sehun. I’m sorry but can you go back to class? The Night Class got a little restless by the smell of blood.” Lay said and Sehun sighed before standing up. “Alright then. Luhan hyung, you can ask the Chairman about your question. He’ll be able to tell it better than I can.” He said and then disappeared.

“I’m sorry, Luhan. You’re probably wondering how this happened. I’m I sorry kept you in the dark but, you’re so close with Jongin. I didn’t know how you’d take the news that he is a Vampire.” Lay started and Luhan understood him completely.

“You know the myth about when a Vampire bites a human, that human turns into a Vampire, right?” the chairman asked and Luhan nodded. “Well, Lu, those aren’t just myths.” he continued and Luhan’s eyes went wide. He didn’t think that that rumor was true. Sure, he knows about the Nobles and the Purebloods but Luhan never did understand the concept of it.

“But only special Vampires are capable of transforming humans into Vampires. And those Vampires are what you call the Purebloods. So as you know, Sehun, his brother Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol are the Purebloods in this Academy. Actually, I believe that they may be the last of their kind.” Lay narrated and when Luhan didn’t answer, he continued.

“The war caused the death of many of the Pureblood race. Sehun, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol’s parents included. That’s why they are protected so much by the Vampire Council because they could be the last. Could be though, since one night, when I was still an active Vampire Hunter, I had encountered another Pureblood.” Lay stopped and Luhan had only one thought in his mind.

“That Pureblood was the one who attacked Kai and his family five years ago.” Luhan’s eyes went wide. “D-Did the Vampire… bite Jongin?” he asked and Lay nodded his head slowly.

“Listen to me, Luhan.” Lay said and sat down the bed the latter was on. “There are only two things that can happen if a Pureblood bites you when you do not have a bond with them. You either die because of the blood loss or you become a Level E.” he continued and Luhan tilted his head.

“Since Kai didn’t die, he will surely become a Level E; unless his master comes back for him and takes him as a Noble. But I doubt that will happen.” Lay explained.

“What’s a Level E?” Luhan asked. “Sehun told me you encountered one today.” Lay answered and that’s when Luhan realized what a Level E was. It was one of those monsters that attacked him.

“JONGIN WILL TURN INTO THAT?!! BUT WHY!?” Luhan panicked. It can’t be. Luhan can’t imagine Kai being one of those monsters.

“Because, Luhan, that’s the fate of someone who’s been bitten by a Pureblood and then left without a Master. Baekhyun, Minseok and Jongdae are Nobles. You are aware of that right?” Lay asked and Luhan nodded.

“The reason Baekhyun is not a Level E is because he has a relationship with Chanyeol and also because Chanyeol had taken him as a Noble. Same goes for the siblings, they are in a brotherly relationship with Sehun and Sehun has taken them both as his Nobles. They cannot turn into Level E because their Masters have control on them.” the chairman explained

“Can’t Chanyeol or Sehun take Kai as their Noble?? I don’t want him to turn into a Level E!” Luhan worriedly said but Lay shook his head in dismay. “Kai’s Master is still alive. Until the Pureblood who bit him is dead, he cannot be taken as another’s Noble. That is their rule.”

Luhan breathed heavily. He didn’t want Kai to turn into a Level E and he’s sure as hell that the latter didn’t like the idea of him being a Vampire either. Heck, Kai loathed Vampires and now he was one. And not even the Pureblood Prince could do anything about it because according to Lay; they couldn’t take Kai as a Noble even if they wanted to.

“There must be something we could do to suppress the Level E in him.” Luhan murmured.

“Well, there is one thing. He can be trained to suppress his thirst and his instincts. Sehun offered to do so in order to help him.” Lay pointed out and Luhan’s face lit up. “Really? He’d do that for him?” he asked but then he noticed the worry on his brother’s face.

“He will help him, Luhan. But on one condition.” He stopped and Luhan tilted his head in wonder. “What condition?” he asked.

“Kai needs to be transferred to the Night Class.”

 

***

 

Kyungsoo stood guard at Jongin’s room. He didn’t go back to class yet and he’s sure that Chanyeol and the others were bothered about the sudden outburst of blood. But Kyungsoo wasn’t, he had full control over his thirst unlike his powers. And right now, Kyungsoo’s eyes remained red as he stared at the ex-human in front of him.

Kai was a mess. He didn’t talk; he didn’t even fight back when Kyungsoo practically dragged him back to the dormitory. Kyungsoo understood why though, it’s hard to accept the fact that you’re not human anymore, that the next time you’d want to eat; you’ll be drinking blood instead of the usual meal. Though Kyungsoo didn’t understand the feeling, he knew that it was though for the latter to be experiencing his new form.

“Kill me.” Suddenly those words came out of Kai’s mouth and Kyungsoo’s eyes widened even more. “What?” he asked and the Hunter stood up and walked over to the smallest Vampire. He grabbed both of Kyungsoo’s hands and placed them around his neck. “I said kill me. Just kill me. I don’t want this life. Just kill me and let’s get this over with.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Kai’s already giving up? That doesn’t sound right. He might not know the Hunter well but he knew Kai was stubborn as hell and he wouldn’t give up that easily.

“Are you stupid? If I killed you, do you think Luhan would forgive me?” the mention of Luhan’s name made Kai drop his hold from Kyungsoo.

“I hurt him.” Kai then said and his eyes started to turn red as soon as he remembered what he had done to his hyung. It angered him. He couldn’t keep the monster in him away and he ended up hurting the one person he cared about so much.

“What’s done is done. You can’t change that. But you can’t possibly let yourself go because of one mistake. We’re not perfect. We make mistakes.” Kyungsoo then said and he held on Kai’s shoulder but the latter batted his hand away.

“Your kind did this to me. I really loathe the way you monsters are.” Kai spat and Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. “We aren’t the best species, I know. But why do you think we’re here in Intercross?  For playtime? No. We’re here to learn on how to live with you humans since we are doing everything we can to preserve the race and our time of war is already over.” He answered

“Vampires and Humans aren’t meant to coexist with each other.” Kai retorted but Kyungsoo scoffed and crossed his arms in front of his chest. “That’s doesn’t seem that way for your Chairman and my brother. He believes in change and so do I. You should start believing in it too.” He said

“I wouldn’t believe in anything that you and your kind would say.” The Hunter replies when they suddenly felt another presence inside the room. Kai turned around immediately and Kyungsoo sped up right next to his brother’s side by the open window.

“I wouldn’t say that to him, Jongin.” Sehun says and pats Kyungsoo’s head.

“What are you talking about?” Kai asks and Sehun appears in front of him in a flash; his hand on the latter’s throat.

“As much as I hate what you did to Luhan hyung, I still need you here. And you aren’t that useful when you’re weakened and a threat to yourself and others.” Sehun started and Kai glared at him; his eyes turned red because of his anger and he tried to claw Sehun’s hand off him but to no avail.

 “You are aware that the Pureblood who turned you is still alive, right?” the Prince asks and Kai’s eyes went wide, he didn’t answer the question but he knew in him that the Vampire was right. “Now unless he comes back for you and takes you as his Noble, you will succumb to being a Level E. I’m sure you are aware of what that is and I’m also sure, that you wouldn’t want that to happen to you.”

“W-What do you k-know about m-me?” Kai gritted his teeth in anger. Sehun was talking like he knows him too well and it irked him. He didn’t favor the feeling of being an open book, especially to Vampires.

“The question is, Jongin, what is it that I don’t know about you?” Sehun asked and that angered Kai even more. He kicked Sehun away but of course, the latter had dodged and soon enough, Kai was bound in thick and heavy vines. He was then lifted up and thrown towards his bed.

“HEY! LET GO OF ME!” Kai wiggled his way out but the vines would only hug his form tighter.

“Not too tight, Kyungsoo. You wouldn’t want to kill your student.” Sehun’s words made the two of them stop. Kyungsoo looked wide eyed at his brother while Kai just looked confused.

“What do you mean by that, you bastard?” Kai asked and Sehun put on a straight face before facing him.

“What you heard is exactly what I mean. You are Kyungsoo’s student from now on. You will follow his every command and you can’t say anything about it.” The Pureblood Prince spoke with authority and Kai didn’t like it one bit. “Like hell!” he screamed, there was no way he’d follow that little Vampire around like a dog.

“You will surely face hell, Kim Jongin, if you don’t do as I say. This is for your own good. Unless of course; you like hurting the people who are closest to you.” Sehun smirked and Kai gritted his teeth. “Kyungsoo will teach you to control your bloodlust. It will suppress the Level E in you for a bit and it will keep you away from hurting anyone, especially Luhan hyung.” Sehun finished and Kai looked away in annoyance. He knew Sehun was right. He needed to control the monster within him so he can’t hurt anyone else.

“Why me?” Kyungsoo asked his brother the moment Kai had stopped resisting and he had the vines disappear to the ground. “Why not? You are the best at blood control. Besides, you two seem to be getting along quite well.” the taller answered and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but huff in annoyance and turn away. They didn’t get along at all. Heck, they were at each other’s throats right before Sehun appeared.

“Wait a minute…” Kyungsoo then came with a thought and Sehun already knew what the latter was going to say. “If I have to help with his blood control, does this mean he has to transfer to the Night Class?” Kai’s eyes went wide at this. He didn’t want to be transferred to the Night Class; he’d rather die than be in the same room as the Vampires.

“Of course.” Sehun replied and looked at Kai who totally opposed the idea. “There is no way in hell that I’d transfer to your class. I’d rather die.” He retorted and Sehun glared at the ex-human.

“As I have said before, Kim Jongin, you have no say in this matter.”

 

***

 

“YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS! LAY! YOU CAN’T TRANSFER JONGIN TO THE NIGHT CLASS! YOU JUST CAN’T!” Luhan blurted out as soon as he heard the proposition.

“Luhan, listen to me. Jongin can’t stay in the Day Class. It won’t help his situation. He might hurt you again or your classmates.” Lay answered but Luhan shook his head. There was no way he’d let Kai go there on his own. Even if he was now a Vampire, Luhan knows that the Hunter’s hatred towards the Vampires still prevails. He didn’t want Kai to be surrounded by the ones he hates.

“He didn’t mean to hurt me today. You said so yourself, it was his first coming as a Vampire so he had no control.” Luhan argued. “I know that, but still, Luhan, if Kai stays in the Day Class, nothing good would come of it.” Lay convinced

“And you think sending him to the Night Class would make a difference?! Lay, those Vampires hate Kai and he hates them back! How do you think he will feel if you put him there?!” Luhan shouted and there were already angry tears at the corner of his eyes. He just can’t let it happen.

“I’m sorry Luhan, but it’s Sehun’s orders. He knows what is best for Jongin’s situation.” Lay said but one thing Luhan and Kai shared as a trait was that they were both stubborn. Luhan didn’t accept the orders, even if it was his beloved Sehun who gave them; he didn’t want to follow through his will.

“I’m talking to Sehun.” Luhan then said when right on cue, Sehun and Kyungsoo appeared inside the room.

“What is it, Luhan hyung?” Sehun asked and Luhan got up from his bed. “Sehun! Don’t transfer Jongin to the Night Class!” he immediately blurted out. “Jongin, he’s… he’s been suffering alone all this time. I don’t want him to suffer even more by being in the same place as the ones he hates. He’ll definitely break if he comes with you.” He continued.

“But Luhan, if Kai stays in the Day Class, he wouldn’t be able to control his thirst for blood. He managed to hide it for five years that’s true, but now that the monster within him is released, there is no way he can still suppress those instincts alone. It’s impossible.” Kyungsoo replied and Luhan looks at him in despair.

“Please… I don’t want him there. He’d only become worse.” He begs and turns to Sehun.

“Hyung, don’t worry about it. Kyungsoo will watch over him when he’s with the Night Class. He’ll never leave his side, I assure you. Jongin won’t be threatened while he’s with us.” Sehun says and Luhan looks at Kyungsoo for assurance and the latter gave him a nod.

“Luhan hyung, it’s for the best. Letting him stay in the Day Class won’t help him.” the Prince adds and Luhan drops his head in sadness.

He hated what was happening. He hated what will happen and he hated himself because he couldn’t do anything. He knows Sehun was right but he didn’t want Kai to suffer while being in the Night Class. But he also knew that letting the latter stay in the Day Class could cause a lot of trouble.

Luhan’s eyes watered and his shoulders shook as he cried. He was so helpless, so powerless, he couldn’t change the way things were even if he badly wanted to.

 

***