The Hunter

Bad Blood [ON HOLD]

Pure white stained with red. Red looks so vibrant with white. But white is supposed to be pure, why is there red in this white? Why is this red so familiar? Why does it smell familiar? Why is it all over the place?

I looked around from where I was lying down, the pain in my neck felt like I was being pierced by a thousand electrifying needles. I held on my neck and felt something sticky and wet.

It then dawned upon me that the red I’ve been seeing is blood, my blood to be exact. I am wounded and my body feels so heavy. What happened? I remember my parents running towards me, panic and worry resonated from their voices and they said my brother had been taken.

Wait… my brother! Where is he?! He didn’t show up for dinner as I recall. I wanted to go out and find him myself but my father said he would do it instead so I let it be. Did he find him? Why did they say my brother has been taken?

“Jongin!” that’s my mother’s voice. She sounds panicked and afraid. I looked up and saw that my father was behind her, he had his Hunter Sword on his hand and he looked dead mad at me. Wait…

A hand my head and I froze. I wasn’t alone. This presence, I have felt it before. It’s a menacing, destructive and evil presence; a Vampire’s presence, a monstrous presence which we were taught to hate and kill. Why is there a Vampire in our home?

“Let go of my son!” my father yelled and with the strength I have left, I turned my head to look around.

And that’s where I saw him. He had a piercing gaze, blood stained lips and a disastrous black radiance coming out of his body. His long fingernails patted my head and I flinched. I don’t want him touching me.

“Oh… he’s alive. Well, this is surprising. Guess I was a little full from your brother.” He grinned and my eyes went wide. What did he mean full from my brother?! What did he do to him?!

Suddenly, the Vampire flew back and I fell down on the ground; rolling to the side because of the pain in my body. I remember, I’m only twelve, my body’s still premature. I rolled to the side and bumped onto something, or rather, someone. I slowly turned around. I don’t know why but I felt like not knowing who I had bumped into.

“Jongin!” my mother was right in front of me in a flash before I could even see who it was on the ground with me. She held me in her arms and ripped off her skirt to bandage a wound on my neck.

“Take him and run!” my father yelled. “But what about you?” my mother protested but she had already lifted me up from the ground.

My father turned to us with a sad smile. I don’t like that smile. “Just go darling.” He said and looked at me. “I’m sorry Jongin.” He added and in an instant, I knew he won’t be following behind. I wanted to shout, I wanted him to run with us but my voice got caught in my throat. I felt helpless, powerless and weak.

My mother carried me to the door and I took a last glance at my father. The Vampire inside the room started to stand. I felt my skin tingle and my eyes water because of the strong wind his aura was producing. And then I saw someone on the ground.

That shade of brown hair now stained with red, his eyes that were once full of love are now nothing but a dark, lifeless void as he stared into space with his mouth hanging open. There was a puncture wound embedded on his neck, they were so deep, even at this distance I could see them. My eyes started to water, I was not a crier in the family but this time, I let out a loud, pain-filled sob.

“Taemin hyung!”

 

***

 

Kai sat up from his bed. He trembled, his forehead had beads of sweat falling on them, his eyes wavered and he immediately used his palms to push back the tears that were threatening to spill once again because of his recurring nightmare; the nightmare of his family’s death, his brother’s lifeless body on the ground, his mother who followed after being chased by the Vampire who attacked them.

It was horrible, it was traumatic. Kai was only twelve when he encountered his first vampire attack. He couldn’t forget it, he wouldn’t. He remembers that one winter night where everything changed, where he lost everything and everyone he ever cared about, where he felt useless and just wished to die along with his family.

But fate seemed to have different plans for Kai. He didn’t die there that night; he was saved by another Vampire Hunter, a family friend. The Hunter managed to hurt the Vampire badly, causing it to flee in the shadows. Kai remembered what the Vampire looked like and he vowed one day to find him and kill him. But he also remembered the caring face and helping hand of the Hunter that helped him, he knew who it was, he often sees the Hunter with his parents; talking by their door and sometimes enjoying a cup of tea.

The Hunter brought Kai to his home and there, he saw another young boy. The boy was named Luhan and he took care of Kai while the Hunter named Lay talked with the authorities who was with them at the eve of the battle. Luhan took care of Kai carefully and he acted as if the stranger would break, Kai wasn’t used to other people tending to him besides his family but he felt Luhan’s touch to be comforting and warm so he let the boy do what he needed to do.

“Jongin-ah! Are you up yet?!” Kai’s thoughts about the past got cut off when he heard Luhan’s voice from behind his door. He lazily got up and scratched his eyes before walking towards the door. He opened up to see Luhan already in his school uniform; Kai looked over the clock and saw that it was only seven in the morning.

“You just woke up? Geez Jongin…” Luhan scolded the latter and went in his room. Luhan sat on the bed as Kai closed the door and he stared at the older. Kai doesn’t share a room with other students, Lay and Luhan actually suggested that because of his anger issues and Kai preferred it as well.

“It’s only seven, Luhan hyung. Why are you here?” Kai asked and grabbed his towel that was hanging by his closet. Luhan gave him a childish smile, his eyes crunched up, revealing wrinkles and he stuck out his tongue. “Lay made breakfast and wanted us to go down the office before heading to class.” The latter replied and Kai sighed before heading towards his own bathroom and shutting the door.

Luhan waited while looking around Kai’s room; it was smaller compared to shared rooms but it was big enough for Kai to dump all of his stuff.  Luhan saw the Hunter Gun that was on the nightstand, right next to a family photo of him, Lay and Kai. Luhan remembered that day; he was fourteen and Kai turned thirteen a few days before, they were out buying groceries when he saw the photography store. Of course, Lay approved of his idea to take a photo but Kai refused, after a very long argument and an almost crying, immature Luhan, Kai finally agreed.

The black haired doll chuckled upon remembering and he wondered when they could take a photo again. Luhan loved the idea of having a younger brother and he loved Kai like how any older brother would, but he also loved him as a friend. He knows Kai feels the same way, he’s just not vocal about his feelings; something Luhan wishes to change in the future.

“What’s this?” Luhan then saw something hidden behind Kai’s pillow. He lifted the pillow and saw a black and red box. Luhan took the box and it rattled. “What’s in this? Medicines?” he asked himself. He didn’t know Kai was taking some sort of medication.

Actually, after all the years they have been brothers, Kai still keeps a lot of secrets to himself. Unlike Luhan who was an open book for everyone to read, Kai was sealed shut like a bank vault.

The door opened and Luhan immediately placed the box back underneath the pillow and acted as if he didn’t touch or see anything unusual. Kai came out of the bathroom already in his uniform and drying his messy brown hair. Luhan stood up and walked over to Kai to fix his necktie, the younger didn’t mind this at all, he was used to Luhan taking care of him like a baby.

“Let me just get my shoes and we’ll go.” Kai said and walked over to his bed. He grabbed his shoes from underneath and Luhan watched and waited in silence. As soon as Kai slipped on his shoes, he grabbed his Hunter Gun and hid it inside his jacket, Luhan also saw Kai snatch the box and quickly hide it in his pocket. Kai then grabbed his notebook from a shelf and he walked towards Luhan who was waiting by the door.

“Let’s go hyung.” Kai then said and Luhan walked out of the room, followed by him before shutting the door.

The way to the office was silent. Mainly because Kai really doesn’t talk that much unless spoken too, and Luhan on the other hand, was busy thinking about how to ask Kai about that black and red box he saw. He wanted to know if Kai was sick or something, he wanted to help him out, he didn’t want his little brother to shoulder all the pain. Luhan thought they were over that phase.

 “Good Morning! My precious children!” Lay greeted once Luhan and Kai appeared at his doorstep. He jumped in an attempt to hug Luhan but the latter expertly dodged it and bowed instead. It’s not like he didn’t want to hug Lay, but he was an eighteen year old for crying out loud.

“Well then… as you both know, tomorrow is Valentine’s Day.” Lay started and Luhan turned to him in a flash, he almost forgot about that. “Students, particularly the Day Class would of course, get a little rowdy because of this.” The chairman continued and Kai scoffed.

“A little? More like a lot.” He retorted as he chewed on his fifth piece of fried chicken.

 “Okay, a lot. But that is why I have come up with a solution! TADA!” Lay animatedly waved his hands and showed what looked like a chart to the other two. Luhan eyed the chart in curiosity while Kai just continued to eat. He didn’t want anything to do with the said event so he drowned the other two out who started to talk about the rules and regulations of the said “solution”

“So basically, they will fall in line and the Night Class students will stop by and accept their gifts?” Luhan clarified and Lay nodded in response. “It seems okay right? Instead of having them go crazy just to hand over the treats.” Lay then said and it was Luhan’s time to nod.

Luhan had actually forgotten about Valentine’s Day, maybe because he was busy with school or too preoccupied with sleeping in class because of a night shift.

“Well then, I’ll leave it to you two to handle the event tomorrow. Okay?” Lay smiled and Kai just grunted in response while Luhan gave a thumbs up.

 

***

 

“I’m prepared already!” one of the female Day Class Students squealed, it was then followed by a fit of giggles and other tiny shrieks.

“They sure are restless.” Kris says as he flipped over a book.

“Well, tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. The chairman already planned out an event to organize the giving of chocolates to the Night Class.” Luhan answered. “Are you giving chocolates to anyone?” he adds and the taller merely shrugs, he’s not interested at all.

“How about you? The Valentine’s in this school is quite different than the usual, boys get to give chocolates to any girl they want.” Kris then says and Luhan laughs nervously. It’s not a girl who he wants to give chocolates to.

“uhmmm… no one in particular.” Luhan replied and Kris gives him a disbelieving look before eyeing the magazine on his desk.

“Then what? You’re planning on making a heart shaped poop?” the latter jokes and Luhan glares in response.

“This is… for friends. For friends…” Luhan denies and Kris chuckles but then they both stop when they felt someone staring at them.

“Your friend has been glaring at us from behind.” Kris says but refuses to turn around.

“You’re giving him chocolates even if you’re a Guardian?” Kai asks in annoyance as he glared dangerously at the two.

“I-it’s… it’s just to thank him for taking care of me all these years.” Luhan replied but a blush was evident on his face, making Kai scrunch his eyebrows more. He really doesn’t approve of the idea of the Day Class students giving to the Night Class students, it was ridiculous.

“You’re giving it to Kai!?” they heard someone say and the three of them turned around to see a group of girls whispering and shushing each other in the corner.

“Oh that’s right!” one male student said before turning to look at Kai. “We got him with us. Even if the Night Class students receive chocolates, I bet Kai will receive a lot too. I mean, he’s got good grades, he’s good looking and he’s good in sports.” He continued

“Yeah! And there’s Kris as well, he’s MVP. And Luhan, he’s the flower boy.” Another added

“What do you mean by that?!” Luhan yelled, enraged by the term but everybody just laughed.

“Luhan, why don’t you tell the chairman to just postpone this crap? It would be much easier.” Kai retorts while staring at the clouds. Class was over and they were both waiting by the Moon Dormitory, the Day Class students have not arrived yet, either some were busy making chocolates, or some went out to buy the chocolates before the actual curfew.

“Are you kidding? If we do that, it’d be much worse. There’ll be a riot.” Luhan explains and Kai snorts. “It’s best to just go with the flow.” Luhan added when they felt the presence of someone not human close by.

Kai sat up from the tree he was leaning on and Luhan looked around, only then did he find the smallest Vampire who sticks around Sehun, sitting on a tree. He wasn’t paying attention to Luhan or Kai; he was just silently sitting on a branch, swaying his legs to and fro while he stared into space. His huge round eyes, pale skin and pink lips glowed, his white and red uniform was neatly ironed and one his hands were hidden in his pockets.

“Who is that again?” Luhan asks.

“Who cares? Come on, the Day Class is here.” Kai answers before walking towards the golden gate.

“STEP BACK PLEASE!” Luhan blew on a whistle and pushed the students back. “YOU WILL ALL GET YOUR CHANCE TOMORROW AT THE VALENTINE’S EVENT SO PLEASE TONE DOWN!” he added when he saw a group of students trying to get over the wall.

“Hey that’s dangerous! You shouldn’t!” Luhan warned. Startled by his shout, the girls carrying the others lost their balance and were about to fall so Luhan jumped down and Kai arrived just in time to catch them.

“T-Thank you.” The girl said and Luhan sighed in relief before putting her down. However, Kai annoyingly glared at the one he caught.

“I-I’m sorry!” the girl jumped back and hid behind her friends.

“If anyone breaks the rules the event might be cancelled so shut up and stand back.” Kai said and the Day Class students whined in response.

Suddenly, the golden gates of the Moon Dormitory opened up and the girls once again turned into pterodactyls. Luhan who was startled by the sudden opening got pushed up front; soon he was back to his senses and he started scolding the girls while holding up his hands like a barrier.

“Good Afternoon Ladies!” Chanyeol; ever so energetic, greeted the Day Class students with a smile. The girls screamed in delight and waved their hands wildly at the “idol” passing by. “Did you all dream of me last night?” he added with a wink, causing the crowd to go wild.

“WE DID!” the girls yelled and Chanyeol gave them all a toothy grin before turning to Baekhyun who was again busy with a new book. Chanyeol draped an arm over Baekhyun’s shoulder; making the girls turn into a batch of megaphones with their ear piercing screams, before placing his palm on top of the Nobles’ head. The smaller one looked at the latter before looking back down his book.

“Oh. Sorry.” Chen then apologized to a Day Class student he had bumped into while walking, making the girl stare up at him and then faint on the spot. Xiumin sighed and held on his brother’s hand before dragging him along.

“Luhan-ah…” Xiumin called and Luhan turned around to meet the round faced vice president. “A student fainted. I’m sorry but can you look into it?” he asked and the Guardian nodded in response before leaving the line to Kai and walking up to the unconscious girl.

“Good afternoon Luhan hyung.” Luhan heard Sehun call him and he immediately turned around. A blush made its way to Luhan’s face so he bowed in order to hide it.

“G-Good Afternoon.” he stuttered in response.

Just then, Sehun stopped walking as did the other Night Class students. Luhan wondered why but he noticed that they were all looking at one person in particular; Kai. All the Night Class students’ eyes were on the Vampire Hunter and Kai stared back, he wondered why the monsters were looking at him but he figured it was because of the incident last night.

Sehun then walked over to him, his eyes staring straight into the latter’s. “How are you Kai? Are you feeling well?” he asked and Kai was startled but he also felt threatened at Sehun’s words.

“Take care of yourself.” The Vampire Prince added before turning on his heel and leaving. 

Kai gritted his teeth and closed his fists. “Want to try me? I’ll take you on anytime, Oh Sehun.” He replied but Sehun just continued to walk away.

“that guy…” Chanyeol angrily eyed Kai and Baekhyun held on his hand, calming him down.

The Night Class Students walked away and Luhan found himself staring at them then back at Kai who looked angered once again. His mind then got flooded with different questions: Is Kai hiding something? Does Sehun know about it? Does it have something to do with the black and red box he saw?

He didn’t know, but he wanted to find out.

Later that night, when Luhan and Kai finished their duties as Guardians, Luhan remained awake in the chairman’s kitchen, trying to cook up some handmade chocolate for the event tomorrow afternoon.

“I wonder if he’ll like ‘em?” Luhan wondered out loud while chopping up a chocolate bar, but then again, the chocolate he’d be giving to the Vampire Prince was a sign of gratitude, not love. Dismissing the thoughts, Luhan continued to work on the treat, oblivious to the fact that Kai was right outside and watching him.

Kai wondered why Luhan wanted to give chocolates to Sehun but he’s sure that when he asks the latter, he’d never understand. As long as the past isn’t erased, Kai will continue to live on while hating Vampires and hunting them. The past was still clear in his mind as if it only happened yesterday, it was clear that his family wouldn’t be with him anymore, it is clear that the Vampire that killed them is still alive.

“WAAAA!!” Kai heard a yell followed by a series of falling pots and pans and he sighed before walking away. He doesn’t understand Luhan and Lay’s understanding of the Vampires, and even if Lay once told him that he hoped someday he would understand his way of thinking, he highly doubted it.

All of sudden, Kai felt a bit dry and weak while walking back to his room, he held on to the walls as he walked slowly and tiredly towards the stairs, but before he could even make it, he already collapsed on his knees. Kai breathed heavily, his throat felt dry and his heart rate started to pick up at an inhuman pace.

“Even if you try to run away from it, nothing will change Kai. You know that.” a voice said from the bottom of the stairs and Lay walked up to him with a glass of water in hand. Lay bent over to Kai and handed him the glass, along with two small tablets.

Kai eyed the tablet he knows all too well. “Shut up… I refuse.” He angrily said and tried to stand up but ended up falling back down. He clutched onto his chest, feeling something within him attack his system.

“The attacks you’re getting are starting to appear more frequently. You can’t continue on like this and you know that.” Lay says and offered the glass once more to Kai. Lay placed the tablets in the water and it dissolved, the transparent liquid turned into blood red and Kai breathed heavily upon seeing it. He downed upon the glass. The liquid immediately soothed down the insane feeling he was experiencing, it was a relief but it also made Kai mad. The glass on his hand broke into pieces; cutting him in the process, but the cuts didn’t stay long on his skin, they instantly healed.

“I don’t want this.” Kai gritted his teeth and Lay placed a hand on his head.

“I’m sorry Kai. But we all know that this time would come.” The latter said before leaving Kai alone right after dropping a box of medicines on his lap; the same medicines that act as a substitute for blood, the same medicines that the Vampires in the Night Class take.

 

***

 

Luhan yawned for the nth time that day. He didn’t really get that much sleep last night and he blamed the handmade chocolate which he failed to make for it.

“You came back late last night, where were you?” Kris asked him and Luhan slumped on the table. “Did you finish the chocolate?” Kris added but the latter sighed.

“I failed. I ended up buying them this morning.” Luhan replied making Kris chuckle as he held up a white and gold box.

“Let’s get going guys! Hurry before the Guardians get there!” the students squealed and ran to the door since it was the end of class already.

“Hyung. Let’s go.” Kai said and walked towards the door as well, Luhan abruptly stood up from his seat and followed suit.

Upon arriving at the Moon Dormitory, Luhan and Kai saw the booths they helped put up last night and they saw the Day Class students lining up with dozens of chocolates in their hands. Kai sighed in annoyance as he watched Luhan scold the students to properly line up and not push each other.

After a few minutes of waiting, the Moon Dormitory gates finally opened up to reveal the Night Class Students.

“This is going to be troublesome.” Chen said as he stared at the booth with his name on it. Xiumin on the other hand chuckled and just tugged on his brother’s sleeve, asking him to behave.

“Whoa! This looks exciting!” Chanyeol then says and his eyes glowed in mischief as he stared at the booths.

“Night Class students, welcome to the Valentine’s Day Event. This is a tradition so we hope you’d take this seriously.” Luhan then says and starts to lay down the rules of the event. “This is a race on who gets to give their chocolates first, these girls are dead serious so please do your best to be serious too.” He finishes and Chanyeol claps in excitement.

“Waaa! Really exciting! I’ll grab as much as I can!” the tallest Vampire yelled and started to run towards the booth with his name.

“Wait! Chanyeol!” Luhan called the latter since he hasn’t blown the whistle to start the event yet, having Chanyeol run over would ruin everything.

“Chanyeol.” Sehun spoke from behind all of them and said student froze in his spot. “Mind your manners and follow the rules.” He added

“Y-Yeah… of course.” Chanyeol responded and Luhan turned to Sehun with a smile.

“Thank you for that, Sehun.” Luhan said and ran back to the center of the event. “Alright girls, let’s start!” he then shouted and blew on his whistle.

The girls started to give out their chocolates and the Night Class students gladly accepted them. Chanyeol carried lots in his hand and he was still eager to take more. Though when he turned to his Noble, he frowned and walked over to him.

“Come on Baekhyun, drop the book and take the chocolates.” He said and Baekhyun looked back at him before sighing and closing the book. Chanyeol then dragged him back to the booth with his name.

“X-Xiumin sunbae! Please accept these…” A student said and Xiumin gladly took the chocolates. Although he sensed that his brother was far off so he turned around, only to find the latter, walking aimlessly and away from the event. “Just a second…” he smiled at the girls and ran over to Chen before pulling his sleeve and dragging him back.

“Chen, don’t be rude.” Xiumin says and takes the chocolates from the girls at Chen’s booth then places them on his brother’s hands, stocking them up into a high pile. The girls squealed at the siblings’ antics and continued to give them their gifts.

“S-Sehun sunbae! Please accept these.” the girls said and offered Sehun boxes of chocolate. However, his hands were full from taking the others so he couldn’t take anymore. “I’m sorry, both of my hands are full already.” He said and the girls bowed their heads.

“I-It’s okay! Thank you for your consideration!” they said in unison so Sehun nodded and started to walk away.

“uhmmm… if I may, sunbae, but where is the little one with dark red hair and huge black eyes?” a student asked as Sehun passed by.

“Are you referring to Kyungsoo?” Xiumin then walked right next to Sehun and the girls nodded. Sehun then looked ahead of them and the girls followed their eyes to see Kyungsoo standing alone at the end of the event, waiting for the others to come.

“Kyungsoo. Come here.” Sehun said and Xiumin waved him over. Kyungsoo didn’t really like getting close to the other students in Intercross but since Sehun asked him to, he walked over timidly to where they stood. Kyungsoo then faced the girls and they were shocked to see the latter up close and personal.

“Please accept these…” they shyly said and Kyungsoo looked at Sehun first, the latter nodded so Kyungsoo took it as a sign and accepted the chocolates; smiling cutely with his heart shaped lips, making them faint.

“Not again.” Xiumin said and walked back with Chen to call Luhan again. Sehun on the other hand started to walk away. Kyungsoo; who didn’t know what to do, stepped back and was about to follow his brother but ended up almost falling when he bumped onto someone.

Kyungsoo looked up to see Kai and his eyes instantly turned red so he turned back around and briskly walked towards Sehun. Kai saw the change in Kyungsoo’s eyes and he stared at the shorter male who was softly talking to the dorm president. It’s not very often that he bumps onto the latter and the moment they do, the Vampire decided to change eyes in front of him.

“Your control really is weak Kyungsoo.” Sehun says and Kyungsoo hung his head.

“Whose fault was it? You made me come closer.” The red head murmured and bit the inside of his cheek. Sehun looked at his brother and he sighed before turning upon hearing Luhan’s voice.

“Hey Jongin! Stop slacking off and help me here!” Luhan yelled and hit Kai on the chest.

“Good work Luhan hyung…” Sehun then said and Luhan turned around to Sehun; followed by the Night Class students who were ready to leave. “Don’t hurt yourself, okay?” he added and Luhan bowed with a blush on his cheeks. But then he realized that he had forgotten to give his chocolate to the prince.

“Oh well… so much for showing my gratitude.” he whispered to himself when all of a sudden he was clobbered down by a bunch of girls, dropping the chocolate from his jacket in the process.

“Ow… that hurt.” Luhan whined as he got up. He looked around and saw the chocolate but then it was picked up by Kai.

“Sehun!” Kai called and Sehun turned around just in time to catch the box that Kai tossed. “You dropped that.” he added and Luhan looked at him in alarm.

“I’ll take it. Thank you Luhan hyung.” Sehun then says before turning around and walking to class.

Luhan on the other hand couldn’t believe that Sehun accepted his chocolate, his heart rate increased and his stomach classically felt the wonderful butterflies fluttering about.

“You’re welcome by the way.” Kai then said, breaking Luhan’s thoughts. “You were just standing there like a fool, why didn’t you just give it to him, hyung?” he added and Luhan sighed before looking farther at the Night Class students’ retreating backs. It’s not like he didn’t want to give it to him, it’s just… not that simple.

Luhan’s silence didn’t go unnoticed by Kai but the moment he wanted to ask, his whole body started to throb and he felt his throat pulse and ache. Kai stared at Luhan’s back and because the older had shorter hair, he could see a bit of his neck. The hunter gulped and he immediately turned around to leave, oblivious to the fact that someone had sensed his thirst.

“Well then, let’s start to patrol the ground now----Jongin?” Luhan got cut off when he turned back around and Kai was no longer there. He wondered where the latter went and so he started his search for his partner once again.

 

***

 

“Damn that brat, is he ditching again?” Luhan asked the dead of night. It was around eight in the evening already and he still hadn’t found the brown haired hunter. He wondered where Kai always goes whenever he ditches him during the night watch, was he sleeping in the stables again?

Intercross Academy has its own stable for horses because of sports such as jousting and racing. Usually, Kai stays there to sleep while a white stallion accompanies him. But Kai wasn’t there that night, Luhan checked.

“Where is he?” he annoyingly huffed before passing by the classroom and spotting Sehun who had his back turned by the window.

Sehun was reading a book, the room was dead silent and when Sehun looked behind him, he saw Luhan walking off to a different direction. He followed him with his eyes and if Xiumin hadn’t talked, he would’ve continued to watch over the human till he was really far off.

“Where’s Kyungsoo?” Xiumin asked.

“Probably with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Where’s Chen?” Sehn asked back as he flipped over the page of his book.

“Oh yeah… I think he’s with Baekhyun and Chanyeol too. I wonder where they all went?” Xiumin asks but more to himself. Sehun on the other hand, stood up and instantly disappeared from the room.

“AH! SEHUN!” Xiumin yelled but it was too late. The other Vampires stared at him so he just sighed and went out to find his friends and Master.

Kai walked around the school grounds, his head ached and his throat still felt a little dry, but after drinking a glass of that vile medicine he was able to calm down even for a little bit. But his calmed mind didn’t last long when he felt a presence near him; he immediately drew out his gun and pointed its mouth at Chanyeol’s head.

“What do you want, Night Class?” Kai asked. It wasn’t only Chanyeol who was there; Baekhyun and Chen were either on his side or behind him.

“You really got some nerve, Kai.” Chanyeol gritted his teeth, showing his perfectly sharp fangs. “How dare you talk to Prince Sehun like that?! You irritate me.” he added and Kai smirked.

“Are we really going to do this? If Sehun finds out, we’ll get into trouble. Or more like, you’d get into trouble… again.” Chen then says while looking up the darkening skies.

“Go ahead Vampires. I needed the exercise anyway.” Kai replied and Chanyeol’s eyes glowed red. Balls of flame suddenly appeared from behind him and they flew over to where Kai was standing. The Hunter held out his arm in order to shield his face but after a few seconds, he wondered why he didn’t feel the burning sensation of the flames.

“What are you doing, Chanyeol?” an unfamiliar voice perked up and Kai looked over to see a barrier of soil right in front of him. The soil broke down and revealed Kyungsoo, standing behind the soil and in front of Kai.

“If Sehun finds out about this, he’d have me hit you again. And I’m sure Baekhyun, doesn’t want that to happen again.” Kyungsoo says and Kai wondered why the latter protected him. Sure, it was against the rules to fight on school grounds but Kai never saw Kyungsoo jump in when he was having an argument with the Vampires, this was a first.

“Since it’s you Kyungsoo, I’ll listen. But I swear, Kai, if you talk to the prince like that again, I will burn you.” Chanyeol threatened before leaving and heading back to class with the others.

Kyungsoo was then left with Kai in silence. They didn’t look at each other and Kai opted to leave but he was curious about one thing.

“Why?” he asked the shorter male and Kyungsoo turned to him with blood red eyes.

“Because we don’t hurt our own kind.“ the latter merely replies causing Kai to stiffen but Kyungsoo just jumps back, before disappearing through the trees.

 

***