Fate Between Two Slices of Bread

Of Hats and Asshats

Week Two - Hyukjae

 

Monday afternoon I ran directly from my beloved choreography class into the lecture hall for Economics.  Oh how I hated that basic requirement class!  I thought maybe I could lounge in the back of the hall, half-way listen, and rest up.  Instead I was met by a pair of meddlesome eyes belonging to a certain Cho Kyuhyun.

 

He casual motioned for me to come sit by him.  But make no mistake, if I had chosen to sit elsewhere I would have never heard the end of it.  I wasn't there for his company, that evil genius always had an ulterior motive.

 

I plopped down in the seat next to Kyuhyun and glanced his way, "So what is it Kyu?"  He stayed facing forward and held his finger to his lips, "Shh, lecture is starting now Hyukjae."  Did you notice the lack of honorifics there?  Geez.  I'd have to sit through the whole blasted class to find out what was on that rascal's mind.

 

One thing about Kyuhyun is that he really takes his studies seriously.  While I was sitting next to him I guess I was expected to as well.  Anytime I'd open my phone I'd get elbowed.  Doodle on my notebook, I'd get kicked.  The worst was when I laid my head down for a little while.  Whap!  Kyu's hand was on the back of my head.  Well, I suppose it was better than waking up in a puddle of my own drool.  But still, how does this youngster get away with abusing his classmates?

 

Kyuhyun stayed still after the lecture until most of the room had cleared out.  Finally he leaned back in his chair and shrugged his shoulders, "So... Did he ask about me?"  

 

Really?  Really?  Was that what this was about?  Because two could play that game.  "Who?", I asked as innocently as I could (without laughing).

 

"Oh, that new barista at your shop.  Jongwoon was it?"  Ha, I knew it!  I was really going to enjoy myself with this... "Yeah, he asked where you lived so he could stab you in your sleep.  Wha'da think?  No, he said nothing about you Friday after work."

 

"Pity", the brunette answered while stretching, "I will just have to try harder to get him to think about me."  I tilted my head in wonder, "Seriously Kyu.  Some people send flowers, some give chocolates, while you gift others with annoyance."

 

He gave a deep laugh and shook his head, "I don't exactly hear you being called the Campus Casanova either.  In fact the only person's attention you seem to have attracted is that man-child Donghae."

 

"Donghae is a different story all together", I said defensively.  Kyu leaned in with an eyebrow raised, "Oh really?  Do tell..."

 

"Fine, but don't ask again."  I held my breath then let out a long sigh.  "Sixty-some years ago, my grandfather saved Donghae's grandfather during the war.  They made some big pact thing that our families would always be together.  Our fathers grew up being best friends.  They moved to opposite sides of the country to find work after graduating but always stayed in touch.  Fast forward to a couple years ago.  Appa had converted an old diner into the coffee shop, then 'bout a year later he heard that Donghae's dad passed away.  Not long after that Donghae showed up.  Every day he'll come to the shop; sometimes half-hour, sometimes a good part of the day.  Only orders one cup of Americano and brings his own crazy sandwich. He'll sit there, never saying much, looking somewhere between a space cadet and a dewy-eyed lost puppy.  I think he's taking this together thing way too seriously."

 

Kyuhyun nodded at my longwinded explanation, "Well I surmise you aren't going to let fate or family tradition lead your heart."  "Exactly!" I agreed, "And I'm guessing you're still planning on using your own unique ways to get Jongwoon's attention?"

 

He rubbed his hands together and looked cunningly out of the corner of his eye.  "Naturally", he hummed.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm back already!  See, I told you shorty chapters would bring quick updates.  And yes, the comments helped, too! :)

Well that's Donghae's story --- as far as Hyukjae knows...

Then there's our other lovely couple (to be).  Kyu, Kyu, Kyu what do you have in store for our unsuspecting Jongwoon?!?

Stay tuned my sweet readers! <3