Strange Brew

Of Hats and Asshats

Week One - Jongwoon

 

"Hyukjae, you told me this new barista was going to be something special.  So how come he doesn't even know how to make my drink?"  The pompous brat that stood lazily in front of the counter was much better looking, dare I say cute, before he opened his mouth.  The thought that the taller male, with chestnut hair and soft brown eyes, was even remotely my type went right out the door the second his honey voice spewed such crap.

 

Yeah, before that moment my first week at Cool Beans was going really well.  The unique diner turned coffee shop suited me.  In a place with 50's-style glittering naugahyde seating and boomerang print table tops, I thought I could blend in instead of being singled out as "weird".  Little did I know all the attention I was going to receive.  Oh, I'm telling you all this and I have yet to introduce myself; Kim Jongwoon, recent transfer to the local university, budding musician, hat collector, and barista extraordinaire - at least up until this point.

 

My co-worker (and the boss's son) Lee Hyukjae soon came to my rescue. "Kyuhyun, I'm still not convinced you didn't make up that drink just to be a pain-in-the-." I had to stifle a laugh.  When his dad wasn't watching him like a hawk Hyukjae was trying his best to make work fun and making sure that (most) customers were enjoying their experience.  But more on that later.

 

Cool Beans most annoying customer crossed his arms and glared, "Cafe Voltaire is certainly a legitimate drink in Paris and the American Midwest."

 

"Pfft, like you've ever been."  Hyukjae answered over his shoulder as he showed me the Ghirardelli cocoa powder to be mixed into the espresso.

 

"I will get to both places eventually when I have found the right person to accompany me."  Seriously, was this guy for real?  I drowned out their bits of smack talk as I worked on making the beverage.  Would the overbearing younger even notice if I switched to natural cocoa powder instead of the dutch processed Ghirardelli?

 

I forced a smile on my face as I handed the drink over.  This Kyuhyun character took the drink in his hand while slowly giving me the once-over.  Was he trying to intimidate me or something else?  I couldn't figure.  He went over to Hyukjae at the register.  After they exchange goodbyes I thought I was off the hook, but then I saw him turn around at the door.  A thin smirk crept up on his face, "Many thanks Jongwoon for the evening caffeine and by the way... nice hat."

 

My hand went up to my head.  What the hell was wrong with my hat?  Certainly it was nothing strange, a baseball cap with piano keys printed on the brim.  Appropriate for a music student, right?  

 

Ugh!  I had no backup here.  Hyukjae suddenly made himself busy counting the register in the back and our resident shadow, Donghae, had managed to slip out the door during the whole debacle.

 

Great, I was left feeling rather unsure about myself as I cleaned up the shop with only the whiff of Donghae's egg, chutney, and jalepeno cheese sandwich as company.  Hopefully, I thought, that dealing with Kyuhyun-whatever would be only a one time thing.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Poor Jongwoon!  You know Kyu's going to come back just to give him a hard time. 

Anybody curious about what Donghae's doing hanging around?  Some of that's coming up soon.

I'll be doing shorty-short chapters to give you all more frequent updates.  Comments will definitely help that, too ;)

Thanks loads to the 21 subscribers who trusted me on the forward alone and love KyuSung and EunHae as much as I do!

<3 TaiShanNiangNiang