Pork Pies and Creatures of the Night

Of Hats and Asshats

Week Two - Kyuhyun

 

Admittedly, I arrived at Cool Beans that night without much of a plan.  What was becoming of me?  Perhaps I thought my sharp tongue and quick wit would be my guides.  Then again, I had a feeling that whatever I did Jongwoon would react in a peculiar fashion.  So, why not be spontaneous?!?

 

It was getting onto closing time when I arrived.  Donghae, the daily fixture in the corner and little ball of mystery, had already left for the evening.  Not surprising since I had heard him mention times before about wanting to get home before nightfall.  Someone our age afraid of the dark?  On most I would say it was pitiful, but on him it could be deemed as cute.  Sadly, Hyukjae didn't share the sentiment.

 

As I continued walking into the cafe' I caught a view of my favorite barista.  The top of his head was obscured by a ridiculous pork pie hat.  Why another hat?  Ugh, enough --- it would be dealt with later.  Over his uniform t-shirt Jongwoon sported a fitted pinstripe suit vest that clung just right to him. The dark navy color worked well with his deep brown orbs which looked all too serious and apprehensive.

 

I zeroed in on meeting his eyes and wiped my thumb slowly across my lower lip.  Now don't accuse me of salivating at the sight of my lust love interest.  I was doing it for show... mostly.

 

"You..." I shook my finger towards him like I was trying to remember his name, instead of repeating it like a mantra inside my head since we'd first met.  "...Jongwoon.  You did something to my drink last week."  The elder blinked in surprise that he'd been caught.  Ha, got him!

 

Hyukjae raced out of the back room and looked between the two of us questioningly, waiting for an explanation.  His father took any complaints seriously and Hyukjae certainly didn't want anything bad happening on his watch.   "Is there something I can help with?"

 

Jongwoon looked downward as crimson shame spread across his cheeks.  "I...um...I just... used natural cocoa instead of the dutch-processed cocoa."  He swallowed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

I glared at Hyukjae just as he opened his mouth to reprimand my darling java mastermind.  "Fine", I directed at Jongwoon.  "Do it again."   Truly, it was the best Cafe Voltaire I had ever imbibed; not that the gorgeous barista needed to hear it from me.

 

Jongwoon stood there stunned for a moment, so Hyukjae answered for him.  "Large, as usual?"  (Cool Beans didn't throw around fancy Italian and French terms for cup sizes.)  A nudge on the shoulder from the blonde got him moving towards the espresso machines.

 

While my beverage was being made I decided to tease the sweet raven-haired, especially since that blasted hat was in the way. "So, I've heard it said that excessive wearing of hats can cause baldness.  Have you heard such a thing Jongwoon?"

 

He adjusted the small hat slightly.  "That's - That's just an old wives tale."  I almost gave into his cuteness as his lower lip stuck out in a slight pout.

 

Not to be outdone, as he handed me my drink he noted, "This is a lot of caffeine for so late in the evening Kyuhyun-ssi."

 

Oh so disappointed with the formalities!  However, it didn't slow my retort.  I leaned closer towards him and in a low voice breathed, "It matters not, for I am a creature of the night."

 

Jongwoon's eyes widened and mouth dropped open.  But before I could even begin to imagine what he was thinking, Hyukjae ruined the mood, "Gah!  You spend all weekend holed up in your dorm room playing video games.  That hardly makes you anything mysterious."  The cafe' owner's son walked over to the corner table and made a face while cleaning up Donghae's dishes, muttering something about the stench of a tuna, pineapple, and pimento cheese sandwich.

 

"Be what it may Hyukjae, we still have some things to discuss after class on Monday."  I ignored his eyerolling as I walked to the door, but I still needed to leave a lasting impression with someone else.  "Jongwoon", I said deeply.  Waiting until his gaze met mine, I gave a small smile and continued, "Until next time..."   There was something in the way he pursed his lips and furrowed his brows that made me know that he wouldn't soon forget me. 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Here I am:  a few days late and several dollars short.  Such is my life.

Next chapter, we'll get a peek into the mind of a certain Fishie.

Many thanks for the fun comments!

Stay sweet readers :)

<3 TaiShanNiangNiang