Opportunity of a Lifetime

Of Hats and Asshats

Week Four - Hyukjae

 

I clutched the acceptance letter tightly as I ran towards Cool Beans.  I was already really late for my shift, having spent way too much time jumping around the house finding out the news and then having a talk with Appa.  Hopefully Jongwoon would be forgiving of me, especially since I'd be asking begging him to take some of my shifts for two weeks.

 

"Hey", the elder greeted me as I raced in, "Your appa said you'd be coming in late with 'good news/bad news'."

 

"Yeah, I'm going to Chicago to study with the Joffrey Ballet for a two week workshop!"  I was smiling so wide my face hurt.

 

"Is that the good news or bad news?" he teased, tipping his wide-brimmed, sable fedora.  "Is Chicago in the Midwest?  If you bring back a Cafe Voltaire for Kyuhyun that would make one less I'd have to make for him!"

 

"Very funny.  Appa is able to pick up a few of my shifts, but I was hoping you'd be able to take a couple, too.  Please?"  He scrutched his nose in annoyance at my failed aegyo.

 

Speaking of failed aegyo, I looked over at a certain table that was usually occupied during this time of day.  There wasn't even a lingering hint of a stinky sandwich.  I must have stared a little too long since Jongwoon walked up behind me and startled me saying, "He hasn't been here all day.  Are you going to tell Donghae before you go?"

 

"What, about going overseas for a couple weeks?", I shrugged.  "For all I know Appa has already told him."

 

Jongwoon pursed his lips then mumbled, "I guess it's not my place to understand these things." Then he sighed and nodded his head, "I can pick up whatever shifts don't conflict with my class schedule."

 

"Thanks hyung, I appreciate this, especially at the last minute."  I could tell he was miffed that it seemed like I was brushing off Donghae (again) but I also knew that he was getting antsy.  Closer to closing time on Friday was like the clock ticking towards High Noon in the weekly showdown between Kyuhyun and Jongwoon.

 

In fact, it wasn't too long after that Kyuhyun strode in.  Just a quick glance towards Jongwoon and he burst out with "Indy!  Are you coming or going from your latest adventure?"

 

Jongwoon rolled his eyes up towards the brim of his fedora and sighed, "Evening Kyuhyun-ssi, will it be your usual?"

 

"Yes, do that thing you do my dear rogue barista."  He put his arm on the counter and tilted his head.  Oh, he was being especially cheeky tonight.  I really wondered how much more Jongwoon-hyung was going to take.

 

So... while I rang up Kyuhyun's Cafe Voltaire, I thought I'd (try to) change the mood.  "Kyu, I won't be here for a few weeks during break.  I've been invited to a two week workshop with the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago!"

 

"Well, congratulations are in order then Hyukjae!  All the best in the Windy City.  Don't blow away."  Kyuhyun's bright smile quickly turned sneaky.  "Have no worries while you're gone.  I'll make sure Jongwoon here stays out of trouble."

 

I glanced over (with sympathy) at the other barista who was looking perplexed like Who's going to keep Kyuhyun out of trouble?!?  Unhindered, Kyu turned his attention back to the hapless wonder and continued, "Yes, yes, we'll be just fine.  Won't we Jongwoon?  You know, of all the infernal hats I've seen you in, this has to be my favorite."

 

"Really?", he wondered as his smallish hand went up to the high crown of the hat.  

 

I adore Jongwoon-hyung, I really do, but his secondary flaw (right after not noticing the obvious) is being gullible.  I could have tried to flag him down with safety flares, but he still would have fallen into whatever Kyu was laying out for him.

 

"Most certainly", the tall brunette crooned.  "With a hat like that, one has to figure that the whip is not too far away."

 

Jongwoon's eyes went from half-moons to silver dollar size as his mouth dropped open.  There was no sound in the coffee shop for several seconds.  Then hyung regained his senses and slammed his hands on the countertop.  If his eyes were lazers they would have cut Kyuhyun in half.

 

As if he hadn't just made such a suggestive comment Kyuhyun smoothly said, "Hmm, perhaps I've overstayed my welcome tonight.  Hyukjae, safe travels.  Jongwoon, I hope I gave you something to think upon until next Friday."  I put my hand on Jongwoon's shoulder, hoping he wouldn't jump over the counter and strangle our troublesome customer as he headed out the door.

 

Right after the door closed Jongwoon turned to face me.  "What's with that guy?!?  No, don't say it.  Because if he even remotely likes me, he has an absolutely abnormal way of showing it."  What could I say to that?  I nodded my head a bit and we started cleaning up the place for closing.

 

As I was finishing counting the register in the back I heard the side door's bell and Jongwoon speak to a late arriving customer "We're almost closed for the night but I can get something to-go for you if you like."

 

"There's no need, I just came to say goodbye", came a familiar voice causing me to listen closer.

 

"Oh, you must have heard about Hyukjae's upcoming trip to Chicago!"

 

"I hadn't heard.  I just got back from visiting my family.  I had a long talk with Appa and Harabeoji, well, I talked to them for quite a bit at their site.  Then I came back and talked with Umma."  Donghae paused and spoke quieter,  "It's not like I haven't tried.  It's time really... I've come to say goodbye to Hyukjae."

 

"Lee Donghae!  What to you mean by 'goodbye'?", I stormed out of the back room looking at him with disbelief.  Jongwoon quietly excused himself to stay out of the upcoming drama.

 

"There you are Hyukjae-ssi"  I cringed at his formal tone.  "I wanted to let you know that this weekend I'm going to be heading towards Busan to look for full-time work."

 

"But why do you make 'goodbye' sound so final?", I could feel my voice shaking.

 

"Shouldn't it be?  All my life I heard Harabeoji's and Appa's tales of friendship.  For them I tried, especially after they were gone.  But you yourself said no one could chose your friends for you..."

 

"So you hung around here only as a filial child?", my voice cracked as tears welled up in my eyes.

 

"It wasn't like I stuck around for a friendship we never had!", he spat out.

 

"Did you ever once think that what I felt for you was stronger than friendship?  Even as a little kid I knew the feelings that friends have versus the feelings that couples have.  But it wasn't right was it, what I thought of you?  So instead of being rejected I made sure I was the one who pushed away.  Well now that this is 'goodbye' I guess it doesn't matter, does it?"

 

"It does matter."  Donghae's eyes softened as he looked at me.  He plopped down on the closest chair and breathed out loudly.  "We should have had this discussion years ago, not just before you leave for two weeks."

 

"Will you be here when I get back?", I asked quietly.  He had every right not to be after my years of cold behavior and then my sudden confession.

 

"I can be", he agreed.  "You know Hyukjae, it's not unheard of that some friendships can turn into something more, if you work at it."

 

That was all I needed to hear.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hey my sweets!

How was that for a mixed bag of emotions?!?

Hope there was some smiles and surprises in there for you all :)

I work over 40 hours next week.  (What am I doing to myself?!?)  I'll write in my free time ;)

Drop me a line to let me know how you're doing and what'cha think!

<3 TaiShanNiangNiang