The First

Fool's Paradise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene led Kai back into the market place where business was back up again after the little incident with the soldiers. He had taken off his hat because Irene told him that it made him stand out more. But now, Irene was regretting that decision because after he took off his hat, it seemed like he was getting more attention than ever before. From the girls, of course.

As he just walked past the streets, all the girls that saw his face started to murmur and giggle among themselves. Kai was oblivious to this, but it made Irene really irritated and annoyed. Some even tried to approach him, but Irene guessed that she just scared them away.

Kai on the other hand was very fascinated by the market and looked like a little child. He went from places to places and often got separated with Irene.

“Where the heck is that boy?” Irene said to herself in frustration. “If this was what was going to happen, what’s the point of asking me for help?” Irene tried to find him but amongst the crowds, it almost seemed impossible. Until she saw him at one shop that was selling handmade accessories.

“Where were you?” Irene said to Kai the first moment she got near him.

“Huh? Oh, sorry. I was distracted. Look! Aren’t these pretty?” Kai pointed out to the accessories, and he was right. They were very pretty. Although you could tell from first glance that it was handmade, it was something you rarely saw in this market place.

One of the accessories caught Irene’s eye. It was a plain necklace with a little semi-transparent stone. The color of the stone was…

“Just like the cherry blossom.” Kai said.

Irene looked up at him. “What?”

“This necklace. It’s stone is just like the color of the cherry blossom we were under.” Kai said as he picked out the necklace and held it in his hands. Then he turned towards Irene and stepped closer and closer until they were only inches apart.

“What… What are you doing?” Irene asked but in truth, she was too startled to say anything else.

“This.” Kai took the necklace in his hands and wrapped it around Irene’s neck.

Irene touched the necklace that was now on her neck and looked up at Kai.

“For you.” Kai said while smiling. “Take it as my thank you gift for showing me around.”

Irene was touched. “…Thank you. You didn’t have to do this.”

“No, I did. You were the first person to reach out to me. That means a lot.” Kai smiled.

And you were also the first person to catch my eye.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter