Arriving At

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting Her Family

*The primary language for this chapter is English unless Korean is indicated with this

 

Bang Bang Bang

 

“Who’s there?”

 

“Michelle Obama.”

 

Rian and Yongguk had just arrived at her parents house and were waiting for someone to answer the door. They would be staying the entire weekend, but it was Yongguk’s first time meeting Rian’s parents. He’d met her brother but that was before they were dating and her brother hadn’t been deployed yet. The more the waited, the more he continued to sweat like a sinner in church.

 

“Who is that bangin’ on my front door like they some police?” Yongguk had recited everything in his head until the front door opened.

 

“There’s my baby girl.” It was Rian’s father. He quickly embraced her in a hug. Then when he pulled back, he saw Yongguk, and the look of confusion on Mr. Shaw’s  face it didn’t help his nerves any either.

 

“Dad this is Yongguk, Yongguk this is my Dad.”

 

“Hi, Mr. Shaw. It’s nice to finally meet you.” Yongguk began to bow 90 degrees, and then it hit him. He wasn’t in Korea anymore. As soon as was facing Mr. Shaw he quickly extended his hand. “Sorry Sir.”

 

Noticing the hesitation in her father's actions Rian took it upon herself to try and initiate some interaction. “Dad, shake his hand.”

 

“Sorry. Hello, Young-Juk. Come on inside, please. Bring your things as well.” Yongguk had read about moments like these; he had to spend the next few days displaying his masculinity to Mr.Shaw, and this was one of those moments. As they both reached for there things Yongguk brushed away Rian’s hand so he could get them and although Yongguk couldn't see him he was pretty sure Mr. Shaw was watching him, which is exactly what he wanted.

 

“They're here.” Mr. Shaw shouted through the house. Af few second later the sound of footsteps upstairs could be heard. As soon as everyone was in the living room Rian introduced them all to Yongguk.

 

“This is my Dad, Thomas, my mom, Linda, my sister Kira, my younger brother Stephan, my cousin drew but everyone just calls him spinner, you already know Sean, Karter will be here tomorrow and  everyone this is Yongguk.”

 

“I have a question, and I don't mean to be rude but do you have another name you go by. it’s just that Young-shuk doesn't roll off the tongue easily, nor is it easy to remember?” My mom quickly hit him upside the head. “Ow! I said it in a nice way?”

 

“My sister raised you better than that now apologize.”

 

“That’s not necessary. Actually no I don’t have an English name, but I’ll think of one and let you know what it is.”

 

“I have a question.” Kira suddenly said. ”What are you?” Now it was Rian’s turn to jump in. “Kira!”

 

“That didn’t come out right. I mean like your ethnicity?”

 

“I’m Korean”

 

Suddenly the questions started firing off like rapid fire from multiple directions.

 

“When did you learn  english?”                   

“It’s taught in schools in Korea like Spanish is taught here but from a younger age.”

 

“Do you parents know you’re dating someone black? How do they feel about it?”

“Yes, and they sort of support this relationship.”

 

“Have you ever dated a black girl before? Or anyone non-Korean”

“No”

 

“Is it true what they say about asians?”

“Is what true?”

 

“that they all have small...”

 

“Kira!” Everyone shouted before she could finish. “What I was just going to ask is it true that all asians have small physiques? What Did you think I was going to ask? Ya’ll got nasty minds.”

“Um no.”

 

“Do you have any siblings”

“Yes an older twin brother and Sister”

 

“What do you do for a living?”

“I’m a songwriter”

 

“Is this your first time to America.”

“No I’ve been twice before.”

 

“Do you like kids?”

“Yes”

 

“Enough to have your own”

“Yes”

 

“When?”

“Not for a while.”

 

“How many would you like.”

“At least two so I could experience having a son and a daughter.”

 

“How did ya’ll meet?”

“Through mutual friends?”

 

“Who expressed their feeling first?”

"She asked me on date first but I think our feelings for each grew simultaneously.”

 

The only person who was completely silently was Mr. Shaw.

 

“Well I think we’ve roasted our latest guest enough for tonight.” LInda suddenly interjected.

 

“Come on. It was just getting interesting.” Kira stated.

 

“Tough luck. Rian you’ll be staying in your old room with your sister. Yongguk you can sleep in the guest room, follow me.” Linda began to lead him down the hallway.

 

“But I’m in the guest room.” Spinner began to whine.

 

“Spinner, your house is across the street.” Troy said.

 

“Yeah but it's dark out and I could get kidnapped.”

 

“Fool you 19-years old and talk too much for your own good. If anyone kidnapped you they’d bring you back after 10 minutes. That and your breath always smell like hot trash...” Spinner then threw a pillow at Troy head cutting him off.

 

“Yeah and there's always the couch.” Kira said.

 

“Would you look at the time. My mom’s going to be worried about me. I should go.” spinner sheepishly said as he glanced at an imaginary wristwatch.

 

“Yeah go.”

 

Everyone then decided that they would go to bed too and retreat to their respective chambers for the night. All except Rian.