Going To

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting Her Family

*The primary language for this chapter is English unless Korean is indicated with this

 

Rian and Yongguk were heading to Detroit to visit Rian’s family for easter and they had a four hour drive from the airport. Rian was busy driving since she was the only one with a U.S. License to drive, while Yongguk continued to practice his english.

“When your legs don't work like they used to before

And I can't sweep you off of your feet”

 

Suddenly Rian phone began to ring.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Where are you?”

 

“Gee such a loving way to greet your sister whom you haven’t talked to in three months.”

 

“Yeah yeah. Save the sentimental moments for when you actually get here. How far out are you?”

 

“Were about an hour away.”

 

“We? we who?”

 

“Yongguk and I”

 

“Yoyo? Who the hell is yoyo? Did you get a chihuahua or something. I thought you hated little dogs.”

 

Rian nodded her head in disbelief “I did not say anything close to yoyo” She glanced over at Yongguk who was pretending not to be eavesdropping on their conversation, as he tried to contain his laughter..

 

“I said Yongguk. You know the guy I’ve been dating for like 8 months now?”

 

“Well if he’s there quit hoggin the phone and let me talk to him.”

 

“Fine but don't’ say anything crazy.” Yongguk hesitantly took the phone which Rian held to him and grabbed it.

 

“Okay he’s listening so start talking. I’m driving and your high-pitched little voice is more distracting than texting.”

 

“Oh please you know you still love me. Hi yoyo I’m Kira, Rian’s older sister whom you’ve probably heard tons about because I’m absolutely fabulous and her favorite sibling. I am also the one you come to if you have want a manual to knowing how to handle my sister, or have any questions about embarrassing childhood memories.”

 

“Hello”

 

“Damn! Who the hell is this?”

 

“I’m-” Rian snatched back the phone. “Look we have to go so we’ll be there soon, -kay. Bye”

 

Rian was then greeted by Yongguk WTF face.“ What? I forgot I had the GPS on my phone and that it doesn't’ work when I take calls. I think I missed our turn.”

 

I like your sister. She’s funny and proven to be useful. Did you have to hang up so rudely though?”

 

Maybe not? But I promise if you ask her about anything embarrassing I will make you suffer.

 

They continued the rest of road trip in silence as Rian tried to get them back on route and Yongguk began to google how to give a firm handshake to a potential father-in-law.