The Thought That Never Left

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting Her Family

One year later

"Rian there's something that I need to say." Rian silently nodded as she ate her food to show that she was listening. She and Yongguk were on a date on a boat traveling down the Han River passing under Yanghwa Bridge. Rian was surprised when Yogguk begged her to meet him at the park. She became even more surprised when Yongguk blindfolded her and drove her to another location, only to hear the sound of waves. But here they sat eating dinner and still Yongguk had said not a single word since they had met until now that is. "We've been dating for a little less than two years now, and including the time when we were just friends I've known you for three years." Yongguk cleared his throat. "It's common to think that when people have known each other for that length of time or more, that their...their feelings change." Rian swallowed the last of her food. "I'm a different person now than I was when we first met just as you have changed as well." Rian put down he fork and wiped with her napkin. "We have fought over many things in our relationship, and there are numerous reasons why we should not be together." 

Yongguk took notice of Rian beginning to cry and smiled to himself, thinking they were tears of joy and decided to continue. "I am a pessimist while you're an optimist. I'm more of free-spirit while you like to follow the rules. Our families come from different social classes..." Yongguk noticed that Rian was not only crying more heavily but had stood from her seat.

"Rian...?" Yongguk questioned. He reached for her hand to pull her back down, but she quickly pulled her hand away. "Rian I know this a lot to take in but..."

"Why would you do this?" Yongguk could hear the anger in her voice.

"I'm doing this because I care about you," Yongguk explained.

"Care about me? Yeah right. How long have you been thinking about this?"

"Since I meet your family for the first time." Yongguk began to question his English and doubted that it might not be as good as he thought.

"Wow!" Rian had turned around and was pacing behind her chair. "That was over a year ago!"

Yongguk stood from his seat and was trying to justify his actions."I wanted to take my time and to lead into this gently." Rian turned around and did something she had never done before. She slapped yongguk square on the cheek.

"Who the hell are you huh?" Rian reached for her glass of water. "Who takes a girl for a romantic date only to break up with them...?" Rian threw her water in Yongguk's face, stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind her. Yongguk was utterly confused. This night had not gone how he had intended.

"Daehyun?" Yongguk called out. "Daehyun come out." Yongguk's long time friend emerged from behind the bar holding his camera on his shoulder and smacked his hyung upside the head.

"What is it? Hit-Yongguk-day?"

"You lied. You told me you were going to propose to her."

"I was. I am."

"Hyung you have to be honest that sounded pretty misleading. You even told me you were going to propose but, the way you wrote that was so wrong..."

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, the phrases 'feelings change' and 'we should not be together' don't exactly give off the vibe of marriage."

"Well, I didn't exactly get a chance to finish it."

"Hurry up can catch her so you can finish it then..."

"She can't go anywhere. We're on a boat, and she can't swim so I think I'll let her cool off for a while." Yongguk brushed over his cheek.

"That slap was Grammy worthy."

"You recorded that too?"

"You told me to start from the second you two walked in remember?"

"Yeah well my fiance slapping me doesn't quite make for a good first family home video so..."

Daehyun slapped Yongguk on the back "Oh come on. It can be a part of the bloopers or something."

"I know one thing..." Yongguk gave Daehyun the death look. "...if you hit me again I'm going to push you overboard myself..."

"Please don't! I have a wife and six kids!" Daehyun mocked as he quickly left the room.

Yongguk decided it was time to go and find Rian. He raced up the stairs to the upper deck two at a time.He checked the kitchen, her room, the bathrooms, the cockpit, the lounge, the pool, he even checked to see if any of the emergency boats were missing, and still couldn't find her. Yongguk was beginning to worry about her. Yongguk ran his hands through his hair when he heard sniffling. Yongguk looked but saw no one. Then he looked over the rail and realized he had forgotten to check the lower deck. Once he found the source of the sniffling he felt a wave of relief come over him. Rian was sitting on the deck floor with her feet hanging over the edge and arms entangled in the guardrail.

"Rian..." Rian turned around and began to stand.

"Rian, please don't leave, you don't even have to say anything just, please hear me out." Rian started strapping up her shoes.

"I wasn't breaking up with you...I was trying to propose to you..." Rian became confused. That wasn't a common word in her Korean vocabulary.

"What does propose mean?" Yongguk reached in his back pocket and knelt on the floor, hoping that Rian would understand.

"What are you doing?" Rian questioned while, Yongguk continued to shine the small box with his sleeve."Why are you tying your shoe. Your shoes don't even have laces. They're leather." Yongguk reached for Rian's hand and kissed her knuckle. Rian was becoming nervous and Yongguk could tell because she was starting to ramble "I hope those are clip-on's because my ears aren't pierced." Yongguk opened the box which contained an engagement ring. "Are you serious?" Yongguk placed the ring on Rian's finger and stood to his feet. "Kimberly Rian Shaw would you like to be my wife?"

"You want me to marry you?"

"Yes"

"You want to marry me?"

"Yes"

"You love me?"

"Yes"

"You want me to have your babies and stuff?"

"Yes"

"You want to be happy and smile with me?"

"Yes"

"You want to fight and argue with me?"

"Yes, as long as you never hit me again."

Rian laughed to herself, quickly leaned forward and held  Yongguk by his collar as she kissed him. With passion, love, curiosity, certainty, frustration, and everything else that can't be described.

"Wait...What was all that earlier?" Rian asked referencing Yongguk's previous statements.

"I was trying to ask you then but apparently it didn't sound that way. I had re-written it several times but I guess it still needed some work." Rian wrapped her arms around Yongguk's waist and placed her head on his chest as she played with is handkerchief."Can I still hear the rest of it then?" Rian pulled away and stared Yongguk square in the eyes. "I still haven't said yes, afterall."

Yongguk placed his hands in his pockets and tried to relax. "As I already said, we're both changing, and becoming better people. I hope that you want to be in my future as much as..." Yongguk cleared his throat "...as I would like to be in yours. You are a challenge sometimes, but you are also my solution. You are the fire of passion I have and also the rain to calm my frustration. If all of these things are okay with you and you..." *dramatic pause* ""...and you feel the same way, will you please marry me?"

Rian pretending to contemplate her answer, started to mumble to herself and count on her fingers. "Well if you've stuck with me this far might as well."

"Yes" kisses the right cheek. "I" Kisses left cheek. "Will" Kisses forehead."Marry" Kiss nose. "You" Rian attempted to peck his lips, but Yongguk pulled her back to give her a more respectable one.

"Okay you too. This kiss is too long. I'm running out of tape." Rian jumped back surprised by the sound of a familair voice. Daehyun emerged from behind the shadows holding a camera on his shoulder.

"Daehyun-oppa? Are you recording this?" Rian questioned.

"I most certainly am. Have you ever considered acting because you have an incredible body image."

Rian dramatically flipped her hair. "well...I am said to be the next Tyra Banks ya know." Daehyun stopped recording and put the camer on the ground while he and Rian continued to laugh at themselves. However, Daehyun stopped laughing the second he meet eyes with his hyung and cleared his throat for Rian to do the same.

"Well, she's my fiance now so no more oppa business." Yongguk protectively wrapped his arms around Rian's waist while he smiled into her neck. He didn't want Rian to think he was becoming jealous.

"Aw don't be a party pooper. We're just kidding. Besides..." Rian got on her tiptoes and brought her lips to his ear." once we get married I'll be calling you appa on our wedding night right?"

Yongguk turned a flush red, and that's all that needed for Rian to know that she had at least forgiven her for her actions earlier. Yongguk was not expecting such a definite answer from his fiance, but he would be lying if he said he didn't like it. The friends continued to talk and laugh for the rest of their evening to catch up as Rian asked about Yongguk's underground days; Daehyun shared that he had been seriously dating for several months as well, and Yongguk bragged to his friend that he was the first to get married in their group of friends.

El Fin