JUST KIDDING, THAT'S NOT CHILL AT ALL

To That Beautiful Place

“That’s him!” she said. “That’s prince Taemin!”

 

Taemin froze in his tracks as all eyes turned to him. The crowds of reporters and newscasters didn’t even pause to think before running towards him, microphones and notepads outstretched.

 

“Prince Taemin, talk to us!”

 

“Who does your hair?”

 

“What are your plans after taking the throne?”

 

“Who’s your favorite actor?”

 

As Taemin tried to run back towards the limousine, his path was blocked by more people asking him the same pointless questions. Everyone was pushing against each other, trying to hold their microphones up to Taemin’s mouth or focusing their cameras on his face. Countless flashes went off as people photographed him, causing the faces around him to become blurry and distorted. They were ramming into his shoulders, his legs, his chest, forcing him around like he was a toy some toddlers were fighting over. He tried to squeeze his way out of the commotion, but they just shoved against him harder. Suddenly he realized he couldn’t breathe, the suffocation of people around him making him feel like he was drowning. He shut his eyes, trying to will the feeling to disappear.

 

Without warning, a pair of muscular arms were around him, forcing his legs into action as they dragged him across the pavement. He could feel himself trembling, each step requiring more effort than the last. He couldn’t tell if he had opened his eyes or not, because his mind was simply not registering it. All he knew was that he needed to run.

 

There was a click, and the body around him pushed him down, and he landed on soft leather.

 

“Your highness, are you okay?” someone asked, the arms leaving his body and instead grasping his head.

 

Finally, Taemin regained sight, and he found himself face-to-face with a wide eyed Jonghyun.

 

Taemin attempted to say “I’m fine,” but his mouth just let out strange, choked noises.

 

“Oh my god, I don’t know what to do.” Jonghyun said as he pressed his palms to his eyes. There were still people shouting outside, trying to capture Taemin on film, before Jonghyun pressed a button on the dashboard and dark coverings on the windows shielded them from the eyes of the people outside.

 

“Breathe with me please, your highness.” Jonghyun said, followed by a deep inhale. Taemin followed his slow breathing pattern until he felt his heart rate decrease.

 

“Are you okay?” Jonghyun asked again.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. Thank you.” Taemin said, voice barely above a whisper.

 

“Oh, thank god.” Jonghyun exhaled, slumping back into his seat. He ran his hand through his hair absentmindedly as he thought to himself.

 

“King Jinki.” he said after a moment. “We should tell him what’s happened.”

 

Taemin nodded as Jonghyun pulled his cell phone out, quickly contacting Jinki’s mansion.

 

“Yes, Kibum? Something really bad just happened…”

 

 


 

 

“Your highness? We’ve found her.”

 

“Send her in, please.” Jinki replied. He was sitting at the principal’s desk inside Taemin’s high school. After Jonghyun had relayed the story to him, he rushed over with a few bodyguards to lead Taemin inside the school. His principal graciously gave up her dingy office so the three men could speak in private about what had transcended outside.

 

The bodyguard stepped out of the way to reveal a short girl with long brown hair; the same girl who had pointed Taemin out earlier that morning.

 

Jinki gave her a warm smile. “Hello, Miss. Please have a seat.” he said, gesturing to the only empty chair. The other two were taken by Jonghyun and Taemin, who was curled into himself and shaking slightly.

 

The girl instead grimaced and played with the ends of her hair. “Where’s Minho oppa? I’m not talking unless he’s here.”

 

All three men were taken back by her rude statement. Who talks to a king like that?!

 

She rolled her eyes. “I’ll just message him myself.” she said, pulling out her phone and typing a quick message. Once she was done, she flipped her hair and sat down, crossing her legs.

 

A few seconds later, Minho was forcing the door open. “For ’s sake, Han-na…”

 

Han-na turned around and flashed a smile at the sound of Minho’s voice. “Oppa! You’re here!”

 

“You two know each other?” Jinki questioned, eyebrows quirked.

 

“She’s a member of my fanclub and she’s a ing stalker.” Minho growled and leaned against the wall.

 

“That’s no way to talk to your girlfriend, oppa.” She pouted.

 

The door was slammed open yet again as Taemin’s mother rushed inside, kneeling down in front of her son and cradling his face.

 

“Taemin-ah, are you okay? Did they hurt you? Oh, my poor baby…” Taemin blushed a deep red as his mom doted on him, gently trying to push her away from his face.

 

The mother-son love session was interrupted by Jinki clearing his throat. “Please, Ms. Han-na,” he said, turning his gaze to the girl in question, “I would just like to know how you came by this information.”

 

“Well,” she started, sitting up straight, “I was following my Minho oppa after school the other day, not because I’m a stalker,” she glared at Minho as she said this, “but because I wanted to make sure he got home safely like a good girlfriend. But he didn’t go to his house, he went to some rich person’s place. As I was leaving, I heard his voice through a stone fence. I listened in, and there was a bunch of guys talking about Taemin starting royal lessons. So I went home and called the news station.”

 

“Why the hell would you do that?!” Minho demanded from his place on the wall.

 

“Well, think about it. If people find out I’m dating the prince’s best friend, I’ll get publicity. Then it wouldn’t be hard to get into a gymnastics agency, what with my good looks and natural talent.”

 

“I’m not even dating you! I would never date you!” Minho exploded.

 

“Minho, please calm down.” Jinki interjected. Minho sighed and pressed two fingers to the bridge of his nose. “That will be all for now, Miss Han-na,” Jinki continued. She turned her nose up and huffed out of the room.

 

Jinki leaned back in his chair, his easy smile quickly falling after she had left. “Well, I guess you can’t really go to school anymore.”

 

That particular statement caught the attention of Ms. Lee, and she turned around to eye Jinki. “What makes you say that?”

 

“There’s undoubtedly going to be reporters every day waiting for him, and even if they’re gone the students won’t leave him alone. But it’s not a big deal; he doesn’t need to finish high school, really.”

 

“Doesn’t need to finish high school?” Ms. Lee stood up. “I’m not pulling my son out of school when he’s this close to graduation!”

 

The king’s eyes went wide. “Oh, right. Of course. Sorry, Ms. Lee.”

 

“The reporters are surrounding our house, too. How is my son supposed to go anywhere without being bombarded again?” She gave a stern look and crossed her arms.

 

“Ah, see, I actually had an idea about that! Why doesn’t Taemin come live with me?”

 

“What?” Taemin interjected.

 

“Honestly, I was thinking about it for awhile, because it’d be much easier to keep an eye on you that way, but now that you’ve been found out you’ll have more protection and-”

 

“Uncle Jinki,” Taemin interrupted. “You seriously want me to move in with you?”

 

“You and your mom, yes.” Jinki said, gesturing towards them.

 

Taemin gave a worried look to his mom, who was contemplating the idea. “I just don’t want you getting hurt again, sweetie…”

 

He threw his hands up in the air, exasperated. “Fine, whatever. Do whatever you want. It’s not like you’ve given me a choice about anything else, why would you start now?” He pointedly looked at each person in the room, until his eyes met Jonghyun’s. Although Jonghyun was composed on the outside, there was an underlying layer of fear behind his eyes. Taemin hadn’t really thought about it until just now, but Jonghyun was probably just as scared as he was. Jonghyun had to push through the crowd to get to him, unsure of whether he was okay or not, Jonghyun had to drag him as they ran back to the limo, and Jonghyun was the one that helped Taemin calm down from his panic attack. His fist unclenched as he turned back towards his uncle, voice sounding calmer than before. “Sorry. I know you all just want to protect me. I’d be fine living with you.”

 

 


 

 

“Is this a wrapper?!” Kibum exclaimed, holding up a thin square. He was at Taemin’s house, as were a few other employees from the mansion, helping clean out the necessary things so they could move into the mansion.

 

Taemin stood up from where he was putting his video games into a box with Minho, who had skipped school. “It’s a goddamn lollipop wrapper, nut.” he said after inspecting it.

 

Kibum tossed the wrapper to the side. “Whatever. I found it beneath the couch cushions, so I figured you must have banged someone.”

 

Taemin sent him a glare. “Or, you know, I was eating a lollipop while watching TV.” He returned to his video games. “Why are you even going through our couch cushions? We’re not moving it, so do something helpful for once.”

 

Kibum did a mock curtsy. “Yes, your highness.” He smirked and sauntered away.

 

“Ugh, he seriously pisses me off.” Taemin said, piling the last of the cases inside the cardboard box.

 

“Really? I think he’s kinda funny.” Minho replied as he grabbed the duct tape. Taemin sent him a are-you-ing-kidding-me look before they both lifted the box from the ground and headed towards the moving man outside.

 

Once outdoors, they met Taemin’s mom, who was holding a checklist and making sure everything they needed was loaded into the truck. She slumped when she saw Minho and Taemin carrying the large box of video games.

 

“Taemin, I told you to only pack the essentials. We’re not gonna live there forever, you know…” she scolded.

 

“These are essential, mom. You know how bored I get on the weekends.” he said, grunting as they lowered the box into the back of the van.

 

“You should be spending your free time studying…” she grumbled, turning her eyes back to the checklist.

 

Not long after, the rest of the workers had loaded everything they needed into the moving van, and then drove back to the mansion afterwards. Taemin still had two suitcases that held things like pajamas and toothpaste, so he wouldn’t have to search for them inside the vans. Honestly, he didn’t even want to unpack when he got there; he just wanted to lay down and sleep. It was late, he was tired, and he could take care of it tomorrow. There was still a limo outside, presumably Jonghyun’s, to take him back to Jinki’s. His mother opted to drive her own car, leaving Taemin and Minho the only ones at the house.

 

“Are you coming to help unpack?” Taemin questioned.

 

Minho looked at his phone. “Actually, I have just enough time to help at my father’s shop. I should probably do that instead of carrying more boxes.”

 

“You’re lying.”

 

“Yup. See ya!” He called, running backwards towards his own house.

 

“I hope you realize you’re a piece of !!” Taemin yelled after him.

 

“Thanks!” a distant voice replied.

 

Taemin scoffed and picked up his suitcases, heading towards the trunk of the limousine. He couldn’t figure out how to open the damn thing, but luckily Jonghyun exited the the front seat and stood beside him.

 

“Allow me, your majesty.” Jonghyun said, pulling the trunk open with ease. They both put one suitcase inside, and then entered the vehicle on their respective sides.

 

Jonghyun had hardly been driving for 15 seconds when Taemin spoke up from the back seat. “Hey hyung?”

 

“Yes, your highness?”

 

“Can’t you just call me Taemin?”

 

“As I had explained earlier, your highness, I-” Jonghyun was cut off by Taemin suddenly peeking his head over the short wall separating the back seats from the front.

 

“Y-your highness!” Jonghyun sputtered, “please sit back down and put your seatbelt on!”

 

Taemin made a humming noise, as if he was contemplating something. “Okay, if you say so.” He dived head first into the passenger’s chair after ing himself up from the back seats. Jonghyun’s eyes were rapidly going back and forth from the road to Taemin.

 

After kneeing the dashboard and nearly kicking Jonghyun in the face, Taemin was finally situated correctly in the front seat and put his seatbelt on. “See? I’m all safe now.”

 

“Your majesty, I beg of you-”

 

“Hyung, say it with me. Tae…” Jonghyun didn’t respond, only kept his eyes focused and the road.

 

Taemin lightly poked his shoulder. “Hyung, please. I’m tired as and the late night crazies are getting to me. Just say it. Tae…”

 

“Tae.”

 

“Min.”

 

“Min.”

 

“Now put it together.”

 

Jonghyun sighed. “Taemin, you almost killed both of us.” he said, a smile playing on the edges of his mouth.

 

 


 

 

The workers were bustling inside Jinki’s house, carrying boxes and being directed by Ms. Lee where each one should go. Jonghyun and Taemin were standing at the front door each holding a suitcase and staring wide-eyed at the crowd of people, unsure of how to get through them. Just then, Taemin locked eyes with Kibum, who was calmly sitting at his desk.

 

“Yah!” Kibum shouted, getting the attention of everyone in the room. “Prince Taemin’s here, let him through to the hallway.” The crowd slowly parted, creating a path for him to walk through.  He would’ve thanked Kibum, but...nah.

 

Jonghyun and Taemin went through the crowd into the hallway, Jonghyun having to keep a quicker pace because of his shorter stature.

 

“His majesty said you’ll be staying in the East Suite, so please follow me.” Jonghyun said, leading Taemin towards his new room.

 

They walked through one seafoam-colored sitting room before making it to a narrow hallway, stopping at a large, mahogany door. Jonghyun turned the golden handle to reveal a king sized bed, with deep red blankets and a million different pillows. The walls were the same deep red, but with ornate, golden spirals curling up from the floor to the ceiling. The floor was a polished dark wood, and there were two doors on the leftmost wall; one for the bathroom, the other for the closet.

 

Taemin’s mouth dropped in awe. He had never seen a room so extravagant his whole life, and now it was his to live in. So of course, because he's a very mature adult, he did the first thing that came to mind: jumped head first into the mountain of pillows on his bed.

 

“This. Is. AWESOME!” He screamed, voice muffled from the fabric surrounding his face. A giggle made him turn his head towards the doorway.

 

Jonghyun’s face was red from trying to hold back his laughter. “Sorry, your m- Taemin. I didn’t mean to laugh at you.”

 

Taemin sat up on the edge of his bed, facing Jonghyun. “It’s fine, hyung. I’m not going to send you to the palace dungeon for laughing at me.”

 

“We do actually have one back at Aellyn. I’ll have to show you once we return.”

 

“Uh, yeah, about that, hyung-” Taemin said as he stood up from his bed, sentence being cut off by him slipping on the floor. Apparently, he had miscalculated the slipperiness of it, and his feet fell out from under him, sending him toppling backwards as he struggled to grab hold of anything to keep him from falling.

 

A split second after he had landed on his back, something else landed on top of him that was a lot less comfortable than his bed. Groaning, he lifted his head up to see what was on top of him, only to meet dark brown eyes staring at his own.

 

“Your highness, are you alright?” it was Jonghyun’s voice.

 

Oh. Hey. Jonghyun was on top of him. That’s chill.

 

THAT’S NOT CHILL AT ALL. Taemin flushed the same deep red as the walls as he realized he must have grabbed Jonghyun and pulled him down as he was falling.

 

“Oh my god, hyung, I’m so ing sorry-”

 

Jonghyun stood back up, his weight finally leaving Taemin’s body. It was harder to tell because of his darker skin tone, but he was blushing almost as much as Taemin. “If-if you’re alright, I’ll go, um, help with the boxes…” he said, all but sprinting from the room.

 

Taemin leaned back on the bed and groaned. Well, that’s going in the cabinet for “embarrassing I’d gladly sell my left kidney to forget”.

 

woah, hey guys. College just started up so I probably will not get the chance to write as much as I would like to, but hopefully I can keep giving you regular updates! Please be patient with me  m(_ _)m

But, we have good news!! I have new subscribers!! Big kisses to 09I372, moveslikeshinee, Shinee98, mussykate, sbaldwin16, and saae!! Thank you all sooo much! <3