Don't Abuse Medications, Kids

To That Beautiful Place

“In Aellyn, royals are forbidden from marrying people who do not also hold a title of nobility.”

 

Taemin furrowed his eyebrows as he ran that sentence through his head a couple hundred times. “Wait, so does that mean I can’t marry a...normal person?”

 

“Everyone’s a normal person, Taemin-ah.” Jinki replied, making a vague gesture with his hand.

 

“No, no, I mean…” He let out a puff of air. “Are you saying I can only be with other royals?”

 

“And dukes, and duchesses, lords and ladies, yes.” Jinki finished watering his lavender tree and stood straight, almost jumping back when he saw the anger lining his nephew’s eyes. “I’m sorry Taemin, I -”

 

“I have to go now.” Taemin said in a dangerously low growl before hurrying back into the mansion, leaving a worried Jinki alone in the garden. He sighed, picked up his tools and headed towards his shed.

 

He didn’t feel like gardening anymore.

 

 


 

 

Taemin banged on Jonghyun’s bedroom door, Skype call be damned. He deserved answers and he wasn’t waiting another second.

 

A bewildered Jonghyun opened the door a moment later, seeming visibly relieved when he was met with his boyfriend. It went away once he noticed the anger radiating off of him.

 

“I just had a talk with my uncle.” Taemin said, letting himself inside the room by pushing Jonghyun out of the way.

 

“That’s...good?” Jonghyun carefully responded, closing the door behind him.

 

“Yeah. He told me something very interesting.” Taemin’s fingers twitched against his sides. “He said that royalty in Aellyn can’t marry people who aren’t nobility. Care to comment?”

 

Jonghyun held his hands up in defense. “I know, I should’ve told you sooner, but it never came up in lessons and - “

 

“Shut up! That’s not what I’m talking about and you know it!” He crossed his arms to stop them from shaking.

 

Jonghyun let his arms fall to his sides. “Well, Jesus, Taemin, it’s not like I’m planning on marrying you. We’ve been dating for barely three days.”

 

“That’s not the point!” Taemin yelled out, taking a step towards Jonghyun. “Did you ever even think about it? Did you never once have the thought that one day, just maybe, you could’ve loved me?!” He stabbed an accusatory finger at Jonghyun’s chest. “I bet you weren’t even talking to your family, you just didn’t want to see me, you ing liar!”

 

“I was talking to my family!” Jonghyun shouted, pushing Taemin’s hand away from him. “And I did think about it! I just…” He looked off the side and on his lower lip.

 

“You just what?” Taemin sneered. “Wanted to get in my pants? Think it would be fun to take some kid’s ity, is that it?”

 

Jonghyun turned back to Taemin, eyes wide. “What?! No, no!” He looked down at the ground. “Of course I thought about falling in love with you, I just…I didn’t know it would actually happen…”

 

They both felt their hearts stop in that moment. Jonghyun dared to look up at Taemin, only for Taemin to lean into Jonghyun’s face and seethe,

 

“ you.”

 

He stomped out of the room, Jonghyun following after him without even a moment’s thought. He grabbed Taemin’s hand, successfully halting him, and Taemin’s hand twitched as if he was going to raise it.

 

This didn’t go unnoticed by Jonghyun. “Are you going to hit me?” He asked.

 

“I don’t think I can.” Taemin replied in a soft voice.

 

“Please, Taeminnie, let me explain.” Taemin glared at Jonghyun but listened to what he had to say. “If I had just wanted to sleep with you, don’t you think I would’ve done that on the couch yesterday?” Taemin nodded, begrudgingly, and Jonghyun continued, “And I never brought up the marriage law because...I didn’t want to.”

 

Taemin scoffed, starting to pull away from Jonghyun. “Taemin, please. I didn’t want to jeopardize our relationship. It was stupid and immature and I’m sorry.”

 

“I don’t care.” Taemin spat, still trying to break from Jonghyun’s grasp.

 

“The other thing is most of the time I didn’t even think about the law!” Jonghyun said, pulling Taemin even closer. Damn those forearms! “When I’m with you, you’re not a prince. You’re just Taemin. Why would I be thinking about some stupid laws when I have the most beautiful person I’ve ever met right in front of me?!” He lowered his voice and tried to communicate his sincerity through his eyes. “I really like you, Taemin. I might even love you. And I will do anything to make you forgive me.”

 

“Then let me go.” Taemin said, and Jonghyun immediately released his grasp. “And leave me alone.” He turned down the hallway and disappeared from Jonghyun’s sight, not even sparing a backwards glance. Jonghyun sighed, ran his hand through his hair, and went back to his room. Despite his best efforts, a stray tear fell down his cheek. And another.

 

Sometimes Jonghyun really hates how easily he cries.

 

 


 

 

After a good four hours of crying on his bed, then in the shower, then crying on his bed again, Jonghyun’s phone vibrated. He had missed a message from Kibum while he was crying, but all it said was that he should wear headphones tonight. Whatever that meant. But the most recent message was from the one person he wanted to hear from the most.

 

From: Taeminnie <3

 

Garden fountain. 5 minutes.

 

Jonghyun bolted out of his bedroom, realized he was still in his boxers, then went back to room and changed quicker than you could say “Jongtae is real, you Kelly.”

 

 


 

 

It probably didn’t even take Jonghyun fifteen seconds to reach the fountain with how fast he was running. He was surprised when he saw Taemin already sitting along the edge, drawing circles with his finger in the water. Taemin looked up at the sound of Jonghyun approaching, but kept his expression blank.

 

“I thought I would be the first one here.” Jonghyun said, sitting down beside Taemin.

 

“I’ve been here.” Taemin mumbled, looking down at the water again.

 

Jonghyun cleared his throat awkwardly. “W-what is it you wanted to talk about?”

 

“I’m still mad at you.” Taemin said, causing Jonghyun to make a face.

 

“Well yeah, I’d hate my guts too if I was in your shoes.” He grumbled.

 

“I don’t hate your guts.” Taemin admitted, rather forcefully. “But that doesn’t make me any less pissed.”

 

Not knowing what to say, Jonghyun kept his lips sealed.

 

“I’ve been thinking.” Taemin said carefully. “You were my first kiss, but...I wasn’t yours.”

 

“No, you weren’t.” Jonghyun replied, not really sure where Taemin was going with this.

 

“So…” Taemin continued, wiping his wet hands off on his pants. “You say you...really like me now, but...I bet you also really liked the other people you dated.” He set his hands in his lap and looked down at them. “So I understand why you wouldn’t think about marriage. You didn’t marry any of your other partners. Why should I be any different?”

 

“Taemin-ah…” Jonghyun crooned, reaching his arm around Taemin’s shoulders. Taemin immediately tensed, so he settled for holding his hand instead. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have feelings for the other boys I dated.” Taemin’s expression visibly darkened at that.

 

“But…” Jonghyun said, and leaned in so his mouth was just brushing Taemin’s earlobe. “I’m going to tell you a secret.” He could feel Taemin’s skin heating up with each touch of his lips. “You could take all the feelings I had for them and multiply it by ten, and it still wouldn’t even compare to how much I care about you.”

 

“You’re being cheesy again.” Taemin said, his voice shaking ever so slightly. Jonghyun smirked and pulled back.

 

“It’s part of who I am, Taemin-ah.” He smiled and squeezed Taemin’s hand. “And I’m really sorry. I hope you can forgive me one day.”

 

“Hmm…” Taemin pursed his bottom lip out as if he was actually thinking hard. “That reminds me of another thing I was thinking about…”

 

“It’s a pretty dangerous pastime, you know. You might want to keep it at a minimum.” Jonghyun remarked, earning him a push to his shoulder.

 

“You keep pressuring me to dance for you, and you even forced me to sing once, but you know what I want?” Taemin said, leaning his face towards Jonghyun’s.

 

Jonghyun gulped. “Um...what would that be?”

 

“I want to hear one of the songs you wrote.” Taemin smiled and pulled back. “I asked awhile ago and all you said was ‘all in good time, Taemin-ah’.” He said, mocking Jonghyun’s voice. “Well, it’s time now. And you owe me.”

 

“Technically you still owe me for dinner, but since I’m such an unforgivable bastard, I think I’ll let you have this one.” Jonghyun said, giving his best snotty grin. Taemin had half a mind to hit him again before a melodic voice rang out;

 

It's late, let’s go inside now

 

Another dark night and I’m taking you home

 

The moon is filled up, it must be a full moon

 

After letting you go like this, oh

 

I won’t fall asleep for a while

 

Taemin rested his head against Jonghyun’s shoulder as he sang out. Sighing, he closed his eyes and let himself be immersed in the music.

 

If he could listen to this voice every night, maybe things really would turn out for the better.

 

 


 

 

So apparently Kibum had a very good reason for texting Jonghyun saying he should wear headphones that night.

 

Because apparently Minho was spending the night.

 

And apparently they don’t know how to keep it the down.

 

Jonghyun groaned and rolled over on his bed. Even covering his ears with pillows did nothing to block out the noise.

 

Rubbing his eyes, Jonghyun sat up and searched through his nightstand drawer. If there was ever a time to take an extra sleeping pill, now was it.

 

 


 

 

When Jonghyun went to the kitchen that night, he was surprised to see that the lights were already . Everyone else should be asleep by now. Except maybe Kibum and Minho. He was even more surprised when he was met with Taemin’s gorgeous face as he entered the kitchen. Taemin paused in front of the fridge as he spoke, confusedly, “What are you doing up?”

 

“I was going to ask you the same thing.” Jonghyun replied, heading towards the cabinet where the cups were kept.

 

“I just wanted to heat up some milk.” Taemin said, shaking the jug in his hand. “It helps me sleep when I have a lot on my mind.”

 

“Right. Sorry about that.” Jonghyun worried his lip, still feeling guilty about the whole thing. He filled a mug with water and swallowed it along with his pill.

 

“It’s alright.” Taemin filled his glass up with milk and placed it in the microwave. “You still didn’t answer my question, though.”

 

“Oh, right.” Jonghyun blushed. “Well, um, Kibum is kind of having a ‘sleepover’ with Minho tonight.” He said, making air quotations. “Needless to say, they are very loud and I can’t sleep.”

 

“Ew.” Taemin grimaced, stopping the microwave timer before it went off and grabbing his milk. “You can shack up in my room, if you want.”

 

Jonghyun swore his heart skipped a beat. “Wait, really?”

 

“Yeah. I’ll just sleep in the video game room.” Taemin said, taking a sip of milk. “It’s not a big deal; I’ve done it before.”

 

Jonghyun tried not to show how disappointed he was but even he could tell he didn’t do a very good job of it. “Oh.” He pouted. “You don’t want to sleep with me, then?” Jonghyun turned red when he realized the double meaning behind his words. “I mean, not like , but like cuddling and -”

 

“It’s not that.” Taemin interrupted, hiding his embarrassment behind his glass. “It’s just that I sleep in the .”

 

A pause. “So do I.” Jonghyun said.

 

They stood in silence for what felt like an hour but was probably closer to ten seconds. “But I’d put clothes on for you.” Jonghyun interjected.

 

“Well that’s a relief.” Taemin snorted and finished off the last of his milk. Setting his glass in the sink, he soundlessly grabbed Jonghyun’s hand and led him towards his bedroom.

 

“If you try any funny business, I’ll decapitate you.” Taemin warned, trying not to giggle.

 

“I am nothing if not a man of chivalry, your highness.” Jonghyun answered, placing a hand on his chest in mock offense.

 

“Ugh, remember when you actually called me that?”

 

“I was trying to get on your good side.”

 

“You did eventually. So, congratulations.” Taemin laughed and opened the door to his bedroom. He let go of Jonghyun’s hand so he could jump onto his bed, patting the space next to him to signal that Jonghyun should do the same.

 

Jonghyun crawled in beside Taemin and ran his hands along Taemin’s sides, causing Taemin to cry out. “That tickles!”

 

“What, this?” Jonghyun teased and repeated the action, making Taemin raise his legs and kick Jonghyun’s chest.

 

“I will kick you out of this room. You know I will.” Taemin scolded, continuing to push Jonghyun further away.

 

“You’re already kicking me!” Jonghyun whined, and Taemin put his feet down, turning onto his back. Jonghyun scooched closer, wrapping his arms around Taemin again and making sure he didn’t touch Taemin’s ticklish spots.

 

Pressing a kiss onto Taemin’s cheek, Jonghyun closed his eyes and settled down onto the pillow. “Goodnight, Taeminnie.”

 

Something soft touched Jonghyun’s lips, and he immediately recognized them as Taemin’s own. “Goodnight, hyung.”

 

(they don’t actually sleep for awhile, they spend like an hour talking about stupid , like why the second C in Connecticut is silent)

 

(or why people assume Wall-E is male and Eve is female)

 

(“Pretty ed up that we assume that Wall-E is a boy. It's a robot.”)

 

(“Taemin?”)

 

(“Wake up Taemin.”)

 

(“Listen.”)


(“It's less.”)