Taemin's a Piss Baby

To That Beautiful Place

“Taemin, I am the king of Aellyn, which makes you a prince. “

Taemin just stared into space, running that sentence through his head a couple thousand times. “Excuse me?” He certainly couldn’t have heard that right.

Jinki sighed. “Your father, being the older of us two, was supposed to rule the kingdom, but after he died...”

Was he being for real right now? He sounded so serious... “Are you trying to tell me my dad was...a prince?”

“Yes, Taemin. And so are you.” Jinki gave what he hoped to be a comforting pat on Taemin’s shoulder. “Your parents and I thought it would be best to tell you once you turned 18, and seeing how...”

“Wait!” Taemin suddenly shouted, exasperated. “...you’re serious about this?” He was panting slightly. “I’m royalty?”

Jinki looked at him with wide eyes. “I would never joke about this, Taemin.”

“But I can’t be...” He rummaged through his head, searching for an explanation. He had only ever really been in contact with his mother’s side of the family; he had seen a few pictures of his dad’s, but he had never actually met any of them besides Jinki. Since he really didn’t know anything about his father’s roots, it was possible for him to be of royal descent...

Jinki put his arm on Taemin’s shoulder again. “I know this must be a shock for you, but if we don’t keep our bloodline in power, it could be catastrophic for the country...”

Taemin bolted up. “I’m going home. Right now.” Not even bothering to pick up his gift, he sprinted towards the front door, almost knocking into one of the potted plants.

“Taemin, wait!” Jinki shouted, but it was too late. Taemin had already slammed the front door and probably already speeding away on his scooter.

Jinki turned towards a figure who had been hiding in a nearby hallway with an apologetic frown. “I’m sorry for calling you here, Jonghyun. I guess we’ll have to wait for another time...”

 


 

A million thoughts were racing through Taemin’s head as he sped past slightly annoyed people on the sidewalk. He was planning on going to community college with Minho, studying dance, making a living as a choreographer...if his uncle had been telling the truth (which he was reluctant to believe), this would set his entire life off track. Don’t princes have to like, be proper and stuff? Like, dress fancy, talk to political diplomats, go to dinners with a billion spoons? His head was spinning at the mere thought of it...

He was so caught up in his thoughts that he almost ran right into Minho, who was riding his heelies towards Taemin’s house.

“Taemin? Are you okay?” Minho asked, taking in Taemin’s windswept hair, loud panting, and wide eyes. “Why were you going so fast? Are you running from someone?” He looked over Taemin’s shoulders to see if some creeper was chasing after him.

“No, hyung, I’m fine.” Taemin said in between pants. “Uh, you’re going to my house, right?”

“Yeah, I am...” He shifted uncomfortably. “Are you sure you’re alright? You look like someone tried to mug you.”

“I swear I’m fine, hyung. Let’s just go.” Taemin continued moving forward, with Minho following close behind.

 


 

The front door was locked when Taemin tried to get inside his house. Mom must not be home yet, Taemin thought. What, is she avoiding me? Good thing, cause I’m kinda pissed… He never spoke ill about his mother like that, but given the circumstances...

The door swung open with a creak after Taemin unlocked it with his spare key. The pizza was already sitting on the dining table, which means his mother must have been here at one point.

“I’ll fix you a plate if you set up the consoles, okay?”

“Where’s your mom?”

Taemin shrugged, and Minho trudged towards the living room with two bags in his arms; one to hold the video games, the other to hold what Taemin assumed to be his present.

“Here you go.” Taemin handed Minho a plate after he had finished plugging his PS4 into the television.

“Thanks.”

They sat in awkward silence as they shot at each other on the screen, Minho trying to make eye contact, and Taemin stuck in his own little world.

After a few minutes had gone by in this manner, Minho had had enough and paused the game. “Okay, I’m not an idiot. I can tell something's bothering you so just tell me. It’s freaking me out.”

Taemin didn’t particularly want to think about what had transpired at Jinki’s house, mainly because he didn’t want it to be true, but when he saw his best friend glaring at him, he saw a flicker of worry in his eye. He knew Minho deserved to know the truth.

“Well I went to my uncle’s house, which was really more like a mansion to be honest, and he told me he’s the king of Aellyn, you know that little country south of us? And at first I thought he was just ting with me but he looked so serious and he said I’m supposedly a prince? I just don’t even want to think about it...”

“Wait, for real?”

“Yeah, but I’m still not sure he’s telling the truth.”

Minho leaned back, his brow furrowed in thought. “Does your mom know this?”

“He said that my parents and him agreed to wait until my 18th birthday, so I’m assuming yes...”

“Well...isn’t this a good thing?”

“What?!” Taemin asked incredulously.

“I mean, well, who doesn’t want to be rich? And this will make it a lot easier for you to get recognition as a dancer...”

“But hyung, he wants me to rule a country.”

“He wants YOU to run a country?!” Minho couldn’t stop the laughter from bursting out of his mouth. “Has he MET you?!”

Taemin scowled, annoyed by Minho’s sudden outburst. “Of course he has, I just talked to him today, head.”

Minho was now lying on his back, holding his stomach as sharp laughter escaped from his lips.

“If you’re not going to take this seriously, I’m going to kick you out.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Minho said as he wiped the tears from his eyes. “But does he seriously want you rule the country? You are only 18...”

“He said that if I don’t take the throne, it could be catastrophic for the nation.”

Minho whistled. “That’s deep...and also stupidly insensitive. How can he expect you to be okay with becoming a king when you haven’t even graduated high school?”

Taemin put his head in his hands and keeled over. “I don’t know...”

Minho hugged Taemin’s shoulders. “I’m sorry I can’t do much, but there’s still your present...”

He sat up and attempted a smile. “Gimme.”

Minho scoffed. “You can be such a spoiled brat.” He joked, handing Taemin the glossy bag.

As Taemin tossed the thin paper out of the bag, Minho pulled a letter out of his pocket and slipped it towards him. Inside the bag was a red baseball cap.

“For your hair.” Minho said, scuffing up Taemin’s hair.

“Hey!” Taemin shot back, putting it back into place. Then he noticed the card, and opened that up next. The inside read,

Taemin,

Since I started school late, I’ve always been the oldest in our class. At first it annoyed me, but now I’m glad it happened, because I made a friend out of a scrawny little who couldn’t play the tuba in the 7th grade. Initially, I felt the need to look after this fragile young boy as his hyung, but as I got to know you, I saw the truth; you are an incredibly driven and talented person, and, to be perfectly honest, an inspiration to me. I’m proud to call you my friend.

Whatever challenges we face as we head into college, I want to be by your side the entire time.

From: The coolest person you know (aka Minho)

“Tae, your nose is running.”

 


 

It wasn’t until midnight the front door finally opened for the first time since Taemin arrived. There was no light in the house besides the television, but Taemin could still make out the shape of his mother.

“Mom?” Taemin whispered so he didn’t wake Minho up after he had fallen asleep on the couch.

Ms. Lee gasped after she heard Taemin’s voice. “Oh, Taeminnie. I didn’t realize you were awake.”

“We need to talk.” The words felt strange as Taemin spoke them; usually it was his mother saying them to him. He turned around and headed towards his mom’s bedroom, so they could speak comfortably without Minho waking up. Once they were both inside, his mother shut the door.

“I’m sorry, Taemin.”

“For what? Coming home late or, you know, lying to me for 18 years?” He seethed.

Tears started forming in her eyes as she spoke. “I just wanted you to have a normal childhood, Taemin.”

“You couldn’t have at least given me hints or something? I know nothing, nothing, about ruling a country.”

“But your uncle will provide lessons for you, and you won’t have to rule unless Jinki is rendered unable to, which probably won’t happen until he’s very old, and-”

“Mom, please.” Taemin interrupted. “I don’t care how many lessons he gives me, I don’t want to be a king.”

She sighed. “I know it’s not fair...” She approached her son to give him a hug, but he pulled away. “Let’s see if we can reach a compromise, sweetie.”

Taemin scoffed and rolled his eyes.

“You don’t have to rule if you don’t want to, but if you don’t, our family will lose control of the country. Since this is obviously a really big decision, I’m not going to force you into ruling. However, I will encourage you to take lessons from uncle Jinki and then decide if you want to take the throne. Okay?”

“What? No! I want nothing to do with this!”

“Do it or I’m taking away your cellphone.”

“Ugh, mom...”

“Minho can come with you.”

Taemin pursed his lips in thought. He still didn’t want to do it, but even if he didn’t want to, it wouldn’t change his birthright. But if Minho’s there, that might make it bearable...and he definitely didn’t want his phone taken away...

“Fine.”

She was finally able to hug her son without him pulling away. “Thanks, Taeminnie.”

 


 

Minho stood next to Taemin in front of the same silver gate in front of Jinki’s house, er...mansion?

Taemin pushed the doorbell as Minho’s mouth dropped so low it almost reached the ground. “It’s Lee Taemin, again...”

“Please enter, your highness.”

Taemin outright groaned. He will never, ever, get used to being called that.

“Are you sure I’m allowed to be here?” Minho asked, clinging to Taemin’s sleeve as he walked towards the front door uncertainly.

“My mom said she called to let them know you and I would be here, so I guess it’s fine.” He opened the door and was greeted by the same secretary as yesterday.

“Ah, sir Taemin. Pleased to see you again.” He grinned even wider than yesterday, and Taemin swore he saw a pink tint to his cheeks. “Please head down this hall; his highness is waiting for you in the garden.”

“Thanks, Mr. Kim.” Taemin replied, recalling the name plate he saw yesterday. He didn’t notice Minho’s eyes lingering on the secretary longer than necessary as they walked down the hallway.

Taemin didn’t exactly know his way around, but luckily it wasn’t hard to find a door that led to the garden thanks to Kibum’s directions. After that, he followed the sound of people’s voices until he saw Jinki sitting at a picnic table with a man whose back was turned to himself and Minho.

“Taemin! You’re here!” Jinki greeted with that same goofy smile. He stood up, his arms instinctively reaching for a hug, but instead he just grasped Taemin’s shoulders, smile faltering the tiniest bit. “You have no idea how much this means to me.”

“I’m just here for the lessons; I’m not actually going to rule Aellyn.”

Jinki pointedly ignored that comment. “And Minho! It is so nice to meet you!”

“N-nice to meet you to, your highness...” Minho was visibly shaking from the nerves.

“Call me Jinki, please.” He shook Minho’s hand. “And now, most importantly, Taemin, I’d like for you to meet your instructor! He will be teaching you our country’s history, our policies, public speaking, table manners, and so on and so forth. He will also act as your chauffeur.”

“I don’t need one.”

Jinki ignored Taemin’s comment again. The man whose back was turned to them stood up and approached Taemin with an outstretched arm.

“I’m Kim Jonghyun. I look forward to working with you.”


AN: I'd like to give a shout out to all my wonderful subscribers! LittleMushy95, Seoulqueenka, OnlyBlinger, ice_cream396, abbeyb2000, Bapusagi, and Shinee1997! You guys are the best <3