Chapter One - Finding the Oddities

Favoring the Oddity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Through the years Baekhyun grew to be quite the beauty around their little village. His features were far more delicate than that of a woman, and his stature, although petite, was still lean with the slightest hint of muscles. His eyes were no longer silver, save on nights where the moon was at its peak and shone brightly upon the town. Otherwise it was warm chocolate brown - chocolate which his parents had only seen twice in their lives, but would describe his eyes as such - while in the sunlight the reflection turned the color to that of a subdued honeyed brown. Gorgeous nonetheless.

One would think that with his feministic features, he would find refuge with the town maidens, or perhaps be mistaken as one and therefore courted by the males. However, none of this was actually the case. Baekhyun had always - even from a young age - been more of a child that enjoyed solitude over company. Little did everyone else know that the young Byun was anything but lonely, in fact, if judging by the conversations he had, he was always quite crowded.

The first time the parents noticed this oddity was when their little baby was first learning to speak. Near the beginning, they just assumed he was practicing when he started conversing with their furniture, but as time progressed, they realized he was conversing with animals as well. Animals that seemed to be conversing back.

So taking this new information up, they decided to confront their child, “Little star,” that was a nickname they had given him from birth, for it was, in reality, what he was, “why do you speak with animals and furniture?”

The little two year old Baekhyun tilted his head in confusion, “Because they speak back. Can’t you hear them?”

Looking at the other, the parents had a small conversation with their eyes, “No, what do they say?” The mother asked, slightly appalled at her son’s confession. While it may seem as if it was simply childish belief that things could converse with him, they knew that their son was not ordinary, and the fact that he came from above could mean he had a number of abilities that they were yet to find out.

“They tell me stories of their life before here.” Little Baekhyun smiled his slightly rectangular grin and waddled off to go speak with the birds.

At a later age, they had to have a talk with their child and tell him that he mustn't tell other children or adults about his ability to speak to things other than humans. He must keep it a secret, for they knew that if anyone were to find out, their little star would be accused of sorcery and be burned at the stake.

They had noticed later on that Baekhyun did not fancy the work of his parents, that being farming and selling the crops, for he did not have the heart to listen to the plants scream as they were cut, and go silent as they lay on the table. His parents neither had the strength nor the will to force him to do such, so at the tender age of ten, they asked him which apprenticeship he would like to go under. His answer shocked them.

For someone with such a delicate build, they did not expect his future mastery of choice to be a blacksmith. When asked why he chose that one, to his parents he would say, ‘it’s the miracle of birth created by my hands, as I cast the silver into a magnificent and balanced blade, I get to hear the sword’s first breath. When the knights come with their weapons in need of repair, I can listen to their stories of great battles and adventures they had partaken in.’ And that made sense to his parents, but for the townspeople, it was an entirely, but slightly less true story. One that basically told of blacksmithery being a manly sport that would cause the big city folk to not question his gender because of the way he looked.

Three years later and he was kissing his father and mother goodbye as he made the journey with the other children into the kingdom town to begin their apprenticeship under great masters of their choice. Some were younger than he, the youngest being ten, but the oldest was fourteen years of age, someone he didn’t care to learn the name of, but had heard he was training to become a knight. The varying ages were due to the apprenticeship training being five years apart, enough for the trainers to become masters, and for nine year olds to turn fourteen - the oldest a new apprentice is able to be.

The journey from their outer village to the castle took around a day with near continuous walking from the seven boys. They all seemed to be friends with heaps of childhood memories to reminisce on, while Baekhyun knew none of their names, or anything about them except for what he could see right before his eyes. He felt slightly guilty though, for they all seemed to know his name, but then ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter