Just Friends

Wedding Crasher

There’s one person I vow to never anger, and that is Bora. Seeing her right now with her eyes boring holes through my face is not what I was expecting.

 

“I’m so sorry for missing your wedding.” I put my head down in shame, unable to meet her glaring stare.

 

“Why did you?” Bora asked with her hand gripping onto her purse. She looks like she wants to smack me with it, so I reflexively move back.

 

“B-Because…” My peripheral vision suddenly catches Jessica stalking over here. She looks like the hulk except not muscular and not shirtless. Her eyes are locked on me and in a few more seconds everyone will be witnessing my death. “Ahh I’m so hungry. Can we talk about this over lunch?”

 

I don’t wait for an answer as I start pushing the two of them toward the restaurant, ignoring Jessica's verbal threats.

 

“Table for three, please.”

 

As Bora and Changmin follow the waitress, I quietly inform the hostess about the psycho stalker that isn’t wearing any shoes. Once Jessica was taken care of, I force myself to sit with the newlywed couple.

 

“Yah! What do you mean you can’t let me inside?! Do you know who I am?!”

 

“I’m sorry, Miss, but we have a policy. No shoes, no service.”

 

“That’s a dumb policy! I don’t care what you say, I need to get in here! My dumb wife is hiding in here, and I need to get to her so I can kill her!”

 

I peek from my menu to see the hostess calling for backup. Whilst Jessica is trying to step around her, the security finally shows up and carries her out.

 

“Yah! Tiffany Hwang, I’m gonna get you, you better watch yourself!”

 

“Did I just hear someone call your name?” Bora looks over to the entrance, but Jessica is already long gone.

 

“N-No. You probably misheard.” I slump in my seat, relief washing over me. I’ll be safe for the next hour or so.

 

“You’re not off the hook, Tiffany. You still need to explain to us where you were.”

 

I start to dig my nails into the leather cushion under me. This is not a conversation I want to have with them. I already feel guilty over trying to ruin their wedding. What will happen if I actually tell them everything that went on?

 

“The truth is… I went to the wrong church.” I admitted. It wasn’t the complete truth, but at least it wasn’t entirely a lie.

 

“You went to the wrong church?”

 

When I nod my head, a fit of laughter fills the booth. I look up, feeling confused as Bora and Changmin are resting against each other and laughing their hearts out.

 

It’s a scene that calls for my usual forced smile. I don’t think I can ever be truly happy for them no matter how compatible they look together.

 

“Typical Fany.” Bora wipes her teary eyes as Changmin sighs with a smile now on his face.

 

“You’re not still mad at me for missing your wedding?”

 

“It’s not like you missed it on purpose. Plus—“ Bora suddenly strays from the topic as she tilts her head up staring at the direction behind me, “Um, do you need something?” I turn my head to follow Bora’s gaze and that’s when my breath is caught in my throat.

 

“J-Jessica?” I whisper breathlessly. How did she get in here?

 

She’s smiling sweetly as she stops in front of our table. I notice her wearing shoes now, and when I look over to where the hostess is I see her counting a stack of money.

 

“There you are!” Jessica giggles and surprises everyone, especially me by suddenly pecking my cheek.

 

“Wait, do you two know each other?”

 

I freeze up. This cannot be good.

 

Jessica scoots inside by literally colliding her hip against me until I’m forced to slide over for her.

 

“Yes, I’m her wi-“

 

Before the horrendous word can leave her lips, I grab the closest thing to me and shove it in . “The bread here is really good. Try some.”

 

Jessica silently pinches my thigh while she chews on the bread.

 

“Wait, you said you were her what?”

 

“My w-wonderful friend, Jessica.” I quickly answer before Jessica can swallow her food to speak.

 

“Your what?!” Jessica bursts at once.

 

“Yep, friends. Just friends.” I repeat slowly, sharing intense eye contact with Jessica so she hopefully gets the idea that our marital status is to be under wraps.

 

“Ahh, yes, friends. We’re friends, just friends. Just friends, right?” Jessica beams brightly at Bora and Changmin before she rests her chin under her hand and smirks at me.

 

My hands start to sweat because I have a feeling Jessica isn’t going to play along for free.

 

“Come on, friend. Accompany me to the restroom.” Jessica suggests. She’s so creepily bubbly that it’s scaring me to the point that I’m willing to fess up about everything to Bora and Changmin.

 

“A-Actually, I-“

 

“Let’s go, Now.” Jessica hisses threateningly before dragging me away.

 

Oh god, I’m so dead. Couldn’t she at least let me fill my stomach before she killed me? What a heartless wife she is.

 

Once she clicks the lock on the door, I lean my body against the wall in fear. There’s no escape for me. Well, there is a small window above my head but I don’t think I’d be able to reach it in time.

 

“What the hell is this about?”

 

I clamp my lips shut. Not a word will escape from this mouth. She’ll have to torture me, but I still won’t give her what she wants.

 

Her hand slams next to my head, missing about two inches, and I almost let out a scream.

 

“Not gonna talk, huh?”

 

I keep my willpower up as my eyes refuse to look away from her intimidating ones. The worst thing to do in this situation is to look weak.

 

But then her fingers reach for the hem of my shirt.

 

“Okay, I’ll talk! I’ll talk!” I panicked, pushing away her hand and avoiding her eyes. It’s amazing I was able to withstand her for ten seconds.

 

So then I tell her about my one-sided love for Bora, why I crashed Jessica’s wedding when I really intended to crash Bora’s, why I don’t want to tell Bora and Changmin about my own marriage. And during the entire monologue, Jessica is surprisingly quiet.

 

When she finally speaks, she says something that hits me right at the gut. “That’s pathetic.”

 

Not gonna lie, her honesty stings a lot. I stare down at my feet, unable to suppress the tears any longer as they start freefalling down my cheeks. “I know.”

 

“But I’ll play along.”

 

My crying slowly subsides as I finally look up at her. Jessica has that mischievous grin again.

 

Ugh, what now?

 

“And when this is over, we’re going to sleep together. For real this time.”


 

dun, dun, dun! lol