"Friends with benefit?"

Amberella

"You!" I jolt in shock when a voice startles me from behind. .

"Oh, Nicole, you're early today." I say, trying to change the topic.

"Don't try to change the topic! I can't believe you left me alone again!!" She slams my locker shut, the student at the corridor are looking at us.

"I-I'm s-sorry. I h-have an e-emergency that day." I lie."Really?" She looks at me skeprically. I nod my head furiously.

"And you didn't tell me?"

"S-sorry, you were taking too long, so-"

"Fine, this Saturday, date. And you better not screw up or..." 

"I won't." I say firmly. Besides, I want her to stop.bothering me. I won't ever like her anyway.

"So, does that Saturday counts as a date or..."

"No, you still have 8 more dates to go on with me." I sigh in defeat and nod faintly. After she stomps away, Chanyeol approaches me.

"So what happened this time?" I smile sheepishly and tells him everything on the way back to the class. While walking to my seat, I glance at Krystal. She is sitting at her place while chatting with her friends. My heart skip a beat and a smile unconsciously form as I walk by her. 

"Ew, Krystal, I saw that loser checking you out." One of her friends says while glaring at me. I flinch and look at Krystal who is scowling at me.

"Disgusting." She utters before throwing a book at me. Ouch, that hurts. My heart hurts.

"Are you sure it's the same Krystal you're talking about here. Cause it seems like two different girls you're talking about." Chanyeol whispers and I shrug. I walk to sit on my seat beside Nicole. She looks at me and mouthed 'this saturday' with a warning look. I nod.Our maths teacher is absent so we have a free hour. I pull out my science book and start reading about the facts while occasionally glance over Krystal.

"Krys, I heard the Liu brothers are fawning over you." I stop whatever I was doing and tune in.

"Liu brothers?"

"Donghae and Jonghyun, the jocks twins."

"Is that so?"

"Aren't you interested in them?"

"Not really. They are jerks." I close my mouth to stop myself from laughing out loud.

"How about Kris?"

"That tall basketball captain?"

"Yes, my boyfriend said he's been crushing on you since last year." I narrow my eyes. Kris Liu Yufan, my causin.

"Yeah Krys, you should totally go for him. He's tall handsome, kind and most importantly loyal." I chew the inside of my lips. Kris is my uncle's only son. He's indeed kind hearted and handsome... why am I feeling so insecure?

"I have someone I like." Krystal says simply. "His name is Joseph." My heart leaps in joy and I barely resist the urge to jump up and dance a happy dance. 

"Who is Joseph?! Is he handsome? How long have you guys been going out? Why didn't you tell me?"

"Calm your horse Hyomin. We haven't even started going out yet."

"Friends with benefit?"

"Yah Jiyeon! I just gave him my phone number and nothing else."

"Did he called?"

"No."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. " 

 

..........

 

 I stare at my phone and the contact that goes by the name Kryatal Jung. It's or never Amber... I move my finger to the 'dial' button, but stop when it's a cm away from the button. Come on Amber, just press the damn button.

"Argh, I can't so it after all. " I lay on the bed and sigh in distress. So what if I call her? After all she's gonna thinks I am some perfect GUY, not some loser geek girl. What if she falls for Joseph? What am I gonna do? Lie to her for the rest of my life? I can't do that after all...   

 

 

..............

 

 

Ugh, I burry my head into the pillow and groan. I skipped school today because I'm having high fever. I touch my forehead. It's still hot as fire. I get on my feet and limp to the kitchen. Dad has gone to work and my brothers are probably at school. I pull open the cupboard. What them hell? Where is the medicine when you need them? Sighing, I put on one of my brothers' hoodie that was on the couch because I am too tired to climb all the way up to get me a change of clothes. My glasses is in my room too so I decide to leave the house without wearing it. I walk to the nearest pharmacy and buy the medicine I need and some other stuff. While walking my way home, I stumble across a girl and both of us fall down. 

"Hey, watch where you're... Joseph?" Krystal and i look at each other with wide eyes. "Are you okay, you look red."

"A little fever, it's no big matter." I say with a wave. She looks at me with a brow raised.

"I'll take you home. Where's your house?" She offers. I quickly decline politely but she insists.

"You're wearing your school uniform. Are you ditching?" I ask as she helps to pick my things up.

"Yeah, kinda." She says with a shrug. "I'm really free now, I can help escourt you home." I chuckle and pat her back.

"I am going with you no matter what." 

"M-my house is kinda... messy." I say nervously. 

"I don't care." 

"L-lets go to a nearby cafe then. I'm kinda hungry." I suggest and she nods her head. 

 

"You know... I've been waiting for you to call me for a while. " Krystal blurts out as I take a big sip of my hot chocolate. 

"Ouch! Hot!" I stick my tongue out and yelp in pain. Krystal surprises me as she leans forward and cups my face. She pull me closer to her and connects our mouths. I feel something cold on the tip my tongue before she pulls away. I-ice? She passed an ice to me through ? I hang my head low while blushing furiously.

"Do you feel better now?" She asks while giggling.

"Sort of." I scratch my head and avoid looking at her.

"Joseph-" I hear her say just as my phone starts ringing.

"Sorry, wait a second." I apologize before picking up my phone. 

"Hey Amber."

"Nicole?"

"Yes it's me, I got your number from your nerd friend. How are you? Do you need me to come over and take care of you?"

"No thank you. I'm kinda busy now so bye." I end the call without waiting for her reply.

"I have a classmate of mine who goes by the name Nicole too." My eyes widen. Oh shoot, I forgot Krystal is here.

"R-really? This Nicole is my 50-year-old neighbour." I lie while rubbing the back of my neck.

"I see." She nods her head slowly while sipping her iced coffee. "Why didn't you call me?" I tense and shift in my seat uneasily. 

"I... I'm worried. "

"Worried?" She raises a brow.

"Yeah, you know... don't get mad at me... You seem like those girls who... don't take things seriously. I... I'm afraid to get hurt..." I say while playing with my hands. I'm not exactly lying, I do feel insecure. What if she change her mind when she finds out I'm actually the biggest loser in school? Is she even taking me seriously first of all?

Krystal seems hurt for a second, before standing up abruptly.

"So you think I'm those kind of girls?" She glares at me before stomping away.