Part IV

Matched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinki felt the sudden change in Jonghyun’s mood, and he knew exactly why. He knew this performance of theirs was a big deal for them, he had felt the excitement and nervousness first hand at the practise today. He knew how much it meant to them, how much it meant to Jonghyun. He had heard the man go on and on about this chance yesterday over dinner, but what could he do? And he did keep to his words, he tried his level best at the practise today, but he knew that won’t be enough. He stopped on the way, picking up Jonghyun’s favourite donuts to cheer him up. He joked along the way to Jonghyun’s house, sharing the obscene jokes Taemin and Minhyuk cracked that earned them a hard whack from Kibum.

 

Jonghyun gave him a small smile, understanding what Jinki was trying to do.

 

When they reached Jonghyun’s apartment, Jonghyun had Jinki change into the clothes for tomorrow. He helped Jinki with the accessories and makeup, he felt his heart grow heavier when he was done with Jinki.

 

It was perfect. The attire and the accessories everything was perfect.

 

Jinki immediately changed into another set of clothes when he saw Jonghyun’s eyes glisten with tears.

 

That night he made his special chicken recipe to cheer Jonghyun up, even buying a bouquet of flowers for Jonghyun when he had gone out for grocery shopping.

 

Jonghyun acknowledged Jinki’s efforts with a sad smile.

 

That night even though it felt weird, Jinki hugged Jonghyun close to him, trying to convey his sympathy, the overwhelming feelings he felt when he saw this state of Jonghyun.

 

---

 

“Jonghyun.” Jinki whispered, trying to wake up the man who clung onto him.

 

“Hmm.” Jonghyun mumbled sleepily as he pulled Jinki closer. “It feels good to be a big spoon,” he said as he kept his hand on his Jinki’s small waist. “Let me enjoy the feeling of cuddling someone.”

 

Jinki chuckled at that. “I have no problem with that, but you said you wanted to start practising from the morning.” He brushed off the hair from Jonghyun’s forehead, he pulled his hand back when he felt a slight pain in his chest.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes opened immediately and he sat up. Jinki sighed at the loss of warmth and the change in Jonghyun’s demeanor. He watched as Jonghyun grabbed the towel and exited the room.

 

He got up and busied himself in the kitchen, trying to surprise Jonghyun with breakfast.

 

“Pancakes?”

 

He turned around to find Jonghyun looking at him amusedly. He grinned at him, “Heard they were someone’s favourite.”

 

Jonghyun smiled as he settled down in the small dining table he had. Jinki placed a huge stack of pancakes in front of him and drizzled the syrup for Jonghyun.

 

“Thank you.” Jonghyun said, his smile faltering a bit at the end when he felt a slight pain in his chest.

 

---

 

After breakfast and a quick bath, began their practise session. Jonghyun had Jinki go over and over the setlist Sunny Day Heroes were going to perform, the one thing being constant over the practise session was the slight ache they both felt.

 

As evening drew near Jonghyun had Jinki change into the clothes for the performance. Jinki sat still letting Jonghyun fuss over the makeup and his hair. Once he was done he ushered Jinki out of the room so he could get dressed too.

 

---

 

Jinki parked in the allotted space for them in the venue. He got down, and locked the car when Jonghyun was out of it too. He held Jonghyun’s hand as they went backstage. He could feel his heart pump with vigour as the adrenaline rushed in his system. He was nervous but not as much as Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun was pacing around backstage, earning glares from Kibum. Kibum finally made Jonghyun sit when he had enough of Jonghyun running around and asking questions. Jinki sat down beside him, tightly interlacing their fingers. Jonghyun slumped down beside him as he traced their entwined fingers with his other hand.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter