Part I

Matched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Many, many, many years ago, there seemed to exist a noble clan of humans who were known for soul-matching. Soul-matching meant guiding two souls to bond. It was believed that there were always two souls that were made for each other, and though any two souls could bond together, but if wrong souls bonded, it always led to sadness, hence making the world an unpleasant place. So, it was considered better for only the right souls to bond, and this deed (“soul-matching”) was considered virtuous, which that certain clan had taken responsibility of, resorting to all kinds of methods to achieve success in their endeavours. The methods changed and grew weaker (weirder too) as time passed and generations passed; but the only thing that did not change was this responsibility, which this clan carried out and passed it on to their next generations.

 

But our story doesn’t deal with this clan, nor with their history. It deals with certain two right souls (a.k.a soul mates) who this clan decided to bring together.

 

So, dim all the historic descriptions and pull yourself back to the present. A family of this clan now ran a Japanese restaurant, and the only one who believed in this “noble soul-matching” family heritage was the grandma, whose granddaughter sometimes entertained her soul-matching ramblings and played along, letting her guests drink special sake- tweaked with a drop of her grandma’s (pretty harmless and delicious) syrup. Her grandma’s syrup just made people curious, feel special and gave them something to talk of, and that was a plus point when running a restaurant. (in short, the sake+syrup combo was a failure in its actual purpose- PS, grandma didn’t know.)

 

Okay, sorry for straying away. Let’s now get back to these souls. The very first souls our grandma managed to bring some kind development between. These two souls were, Lee Jinki and Kim Jonghyun.

 

Lee Jinki was a successful and handsome businessman- bring in all those elegant suits, good manners and charming smiles.

 

Kim Jonghyun was a star in the making, the guitarist of Sunny Day Heroes- bring in all the tight skinnies, grunge music and messiness.

 

And these two men, for the good or for the bad, were soul mates according to our grandma’s spiritual(?) senses.


 

-

 

Jinki sighed as he loosened his tie. Damn, Minho, his business partner, was so persuasive. One second they were hugging each other, congratulating the other for the successful deal with the sports company and the next second he found himself agreeing to Minho’s plan of having a celebratory dinner with their team.

 

He got in his car, shifted into drive as he drove to the restaurant Minho had decided on. He stopped in front of the Japanese restaurant, signalling the valet. He took in the dimly lit sign board, the flickering blue and green light somewhat making him feel uneasy as he stepped inside. The manager at the front desk led him to the section Minho had reserved for the team, his employees cheering as soon he came in view. Jinki couldn’t help the smile that came up on his face as he sat down beside Minho, the happy atmosphere making his earlier uneasiness dissipate.

 

A round of starters of shrimp and the main course later, Jinki found himself getting rid of his suit jacket, he had to admit, Minho had a knack for finding restaurants with good food.

 

The conversation around the table was interrupted when the waitress walked to Jinki, a small cup in hand.

 

“Yes?” Jinki asked, eyeing the cup.

 

“This is our special sake Sir, as a congratulatory gift for your successful deal. We overheard the conversation and don’t worry it’s on the house.”

 

“Oh, thank you.” and Jinki accepted the sake. He took the earthen cup to his lips when he saw the waitress smile and urge him to drink. He inhaled the strong yet sweet smell once and gulped down the sake. The waitress smiled as she took back the empty cup, congratulated everyone again and was off.

 

The conversation picked up again as soon as the waitress left and Jinki slumped down in his seat, suddenly feeling tired and hot. He called it a night when his eyes closed involuntarily as his vision blurred at the edges. Jinki shook his head, something was off, he was a man who could hold his liquor well but found himself feeling lightheaded. Something was definitely off.

 

He asked Minho to drive him back home, not trusting himself to keep his consciousness intact. Minho drove him back to his penthouse and even helped him settle in bed. The last thing Jinki felt before his vision blackened out was the sharp pain in his chest.

 

---

 

“Guys! We got the gig!” Jonghyun exclaimed as he entered the practise room. “We are gonna perform at the pageant two days from now!”

 

Jonghyun felt himself get embraced in a group bear hug from his band members. They all pulled back laughing and eyes twinkling.

 

“This calls for a celebration.” Kibum announced, dragging Taemin and Minhyuk- the other members into a circle to discuss plans. Finally Kibum settled on his own choice of the Japanese restaurant he had discovered a week back.

 

The ride to the restaurant was filled with easy chatter and jokes (and quite a bit of beer- poor Taemin couldn’t refrain from overdosing and passed out after having five cans and was left in the car to sleep). When they entered the restaurant, Jonghyun took an immediate liking to the ambience, the dim lights and the whites, blues and greens pleasing him.

 

They settled down at the table the manager had directed to and poured over the menu. They placed their orders soon and began discussing their upcoming important gig.

 

Well into their dinner, the conversation that was steady lulled when they saw a waitress walk towards them, stopping right in front of Jonghyun, a small cup in hand.

 

“This is our special sake Sir, as a congratulatory gift for your success. We overheard the conversation and don’t worry it’s on the house.”

 

There were many ‘oohs’ around the table as Jonghyun accepted the cup.

 

“And what about us?” Minhyuk asked, the prospect of free sake lighting up his eyes.

 

“Only for him. Sorry.” She winked, a smile accompanying her apology, making Kibum start teasing Jonghyun.

 

Jonghyun drank the offered drink and handed over the cup with a grin, the waitress patted his back once and was off.

 

A few minutes later Jonghyun began feeling lightheaded. Kibum called it a day when he saw Jonghyun sway in his seat. Kibum drove them all back, dropping Jonghyun first at his apartment.

 

Taemin (who had woken up on the ride back home and filling up on the parceled dinner Kibum handed to him) grumbled as he pushed Jonghyun down in his bed, he kicked the door close behind him. “Such a waste of the sake, giving it to the man who can’t even hold his liquor.”

 

The last thing Jonghyun remembered before his vision blackened out was the sharp pain in his chest.

 

---

 

Jinki stretched, his joints felt stiff for some reason, he immediately winced, his eyes opening at the pain when his hand collided with the headboard.

 

And suddenly everything felt wrong. The headboard was a simple wooden one unlike the intricate mahogany one he was used to seeing. In fact the sheets were different too, he remembered he had slept on light beige ones not ones with little dinosaurs printed on them.

 

He knew he was pretty lightheaded last night, but he remembered everything, he always did. He remembered Minho had escorted him back had even helped into bed too.

 

Something was wrong, so very wrong.  The room was different, it wasn’t his, the walls were a light yellow and not the beige of his walls and the bed, it was smaller, even the room was small! There was a guitar at the side of the room unlike the couch back at his own room. There were clothes and shoes scattered over the room. In fact the goddamn lights were different too!

 

He looked down at himself. The suit shirt and pant he had slept in were replaced by skinnies and a black tank top. Oh and the constant sliver intruding his vision was making his heart race. He dragged his fingers through his hair.

 

He jumped out of bed when he found his hair shorter and softer. He let out a gasp when he turned towards the mirror. Oh, goodness! His hair was silver! Silver!! But when his eyes shifted lower, they grew wide and wide and wide, because that was so not his face that was staring back at him. A sharp jaw, slightly tanned skin, a little too big nose, plump lips and pierced ears. His eyes shifted lowe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter