cognizance;

In A Daze

A/N: No proofread because I'm doing this while scrolling down ISAC updates. I'm wishing for Hyuk, Namjoo, Sungjae, Joy interactions. Who's with me? o/ So far, there's Sungjae and Hyuk interactions already. Let's hope for Namjoo and Hyuk, alright? /fingers crossed. Anyway, last chapter up next after this. I'm gonna type them probably tomorrow. I hope it'll be successful. Thank you for the beautiful comments. I'll reply to all of them, I swear. Please do listen to the song suggestions, if you can. Hugs.

 

 

"You're Hyuk, right?" he nodded.
It was Joy. "It's kinda uncomfortable to talk to a sunbae but since I somehow got used to Sungjae, is it okay if I talk to you informally?"
"I don't mind."
The younger smiled and sat down beside him.
"You like Namjoo a lot, am I right?"
Hyuk chuckled. "I'm surprised you notice.. when, she doesn't."
"It's cute." she giggled. "I'm sure she knows how you care a lot for her. She just haven't realized what those mean. Well, unless you tell her how you really feel."
"You're younger, but your words sound mature."
"T-thank you. I guess it's how it felt with Sungjae?" she smiled brightly. "And, I learn from people."
He nodded. "Thanks... for the advice. But I'd rather stay by her side and watch her than tell her how I feel and then lose her because of that feeling."
"W-watch her be in pain everytime she sees Sungjae? I mean, I'm not saying this because I like Sungj—"
"I get you." he smiled.
"That's why I can't tell her. If I do, she'll end up being in pain alone. She'll feel awkward and bad if she calls or looks for me, only to ask for comfort. I'd rather not tell and watch her—even from afar. I'm really happy just being with her. That's much better."
Joy smiled back. "Point taken."


That was the conversation they had while watching Sungjae and Namjoo together in the dance floor, from a distance. Hyuk remembered talking to Sungjae for his favor, entering the party and asking Namjoo's hand to dance with him, an excuse for his so-called plan to get the two to talk to each other to work and fortunately, he succeeded. He admits, it hurt him seeing them seem romantic together. But he thinks it's for the better.

 

Look at me now, look in my eyes
You can see clearly in front of you
The soft-hearted girl of the past
The childish girl
I’m not her anymore

Look at me now, look what you see
I’m a beautiful lady
Please oppa, oppa, love me
Right now, all day, all night, tell me I’m yours

 


"You seem to be happy with Hyuk's company."
"Aren't we going to talk about something else?"
"Like what..?"
"Don't you miss me?"
"I do. But Namjoo, let's be serious..."
"I am serious. You're the only one who thinks everything is a joke—"
"Hey, calm down okay. What I wanted to say was, I do miss you, talking to you and hanging out with you. But you know things change, feelings change. Everything does."
"When we were kids, you'd tell me I'll be the first one to withdraw and get a different boyfriend."
"That's way back when we were kids... That was all in the past."
"Right..." she sighed softly. "Look at you now, dating a freshmen."
He frowned. "If this is about your jealousy, let's stop and not talk about it."
"I am not jealous."
"Then what?! Namjoo, stop being so childish. Sooner or later, you need to grow up before Hyuk leaves you as well."
"H-he's not gonna leave me."
"Maybe even your bestfriend hides secrets from you."

Namjoo pursed her lips and looked down, breaking from his hold. She stood in front of him for a few seconds before running away. Hyuk saw her and instantly followed, leaving Joy in her seat beside—a bit startled. She shifted her gaze to Sungjae and strides towards him as soon as she did.

"Sungjae, what happened?"
"Namjoo's just immature.."
"Don't say that! You must've said something that hurt her."
"I don't care, I don't like it when she's acting like a baby."
"You're mean."
Sungjae sighed, sliding his hands in his both pockets and walking out of the dance floor. Joy followed, pouting.


Song suggestion (xxx)


Meanwhile, Hyuk went to find where Namjoo ran off to. He looked around, bothered she might have ran off too far. A few meters later, he ended up in a nearby playground and spotted Namjoo sitting at one of the seats of an old free-standing swing. He sighed of relief as he catch a breath.

"I never knew you ran fast." he joked, once he got closer.
Namjoo looked up at him. "That's supposed to make me laugh, right?"
"It didn't? Ah, I failed." he rubbed at his nape.
The girl smiled weakly and looked down. He sat at the other swing beside her.
"I did what you said. I talked to him." she nods. "But nothing happened, I'm so stupid."
"You're not. You should just try again."
She shook her head. "He wouldn't know how I really feel anyway." she mumbled, looking down at some soiled, pebbly ground.
He sighed—inaudibly, glancing at her. "I wish you'd just stop thinking about him and look at me instead." he thought to himself.
Only to himself.
Namjoo shifted her gaze to him.
"Hyuk-ah, can we just get back to the dorm?"
He smiled. "If you say so,"

He perked up first, looking at her. When she stood as well, Hyuk turned around and sauntered. Just as he did, a pair of smooth, drawn arms enveloped, draping around his waist—the one called a backhug. His eyes widened, something like this was unforeseen for him. It was new, but it felt warm and concerning at the same time. He smiled a wee bit when Namjoo leaned her forehead, asking if she could cry on his back. Of course. Those words triggered the girl's tears to fall so soon. She gripped—not too—tightly. It was probably a prompt, something Hyuk couldn't easily comprehend. He then slowly and cautiously turned to face her and pulled her to his shoulders, letting her cry as much as she wanted. They headed back to the dorm and arrived shortly. It was though a long quiet ride. When Hyuk was about to get out of the cab,

"Hyuk-ah, I can go out and get inside by myself, I guess."
he nodded.
"Thank you. If it weren't for you, I would've isolated myself inside my room and be talked about by the other students for not attending the party. You saved me."
"I blame you." he smiled a bit.
Namjoo hissed and opened the door, Hyuk quickly grabbed her hand.
"Namjoo?"
"Hm?"
"I want to give this to you." he said, passing a little white ribbon clip. "I was supposed to give this to you, so you can use it for your hair but the flower crown suit you better."
"I can't accept this."
"Why?"
"I'm not worth to be given this. Even the smallest, most beautiful ones."
"You're talking strangely."
She giggled inaudibly. "I'm already daydreaming."
Hyuk kept the small gift instead and gave her a smile.
"I'm here for you."
She felt her heart beat fast, but she ignored it. "You always are." she smiled—but somehow vague.
"Can I ask you another favor?"
"What is that?"
"Be strong." he spoke, rubbing the back of her hand.
She got confused, tilting her head to him but nodded after. Seemingly overlooking what he meant.
"Get back to the boys' dorm safely. Good night, Hyuk."
"Good night."


"You didn't tell her you'll leave?" his uncle asked.
"I wouldn't want to in, she already has too many problems."
"Did you at least tell her how you feel?"
"No. I guess it's better that way."

 

-- FLASHBACK --

"Can I ask you a favor?"
"It depends."
"Ask Namjoo to dance and talk to her."
"Well, that's not hard." he shrugged with a small smile. "But why so sudden with your favor?"
Seconds of silence came up.
"I'm leaving for Europe in two days."
"What?! On Monday?"
He nodded. "I'm transferring there for good. My dad wants me to as well."
"That's crazy! You're gonna leave school? Just when we only have a year 'till graduation."
"It's both me and my dad's decision. I don't want things to be ruined, and I'm just obliging."
"Then... you'll leave Namjoo?"
"That's why I want you to talk to her."
He chuckled. "You don't know how crazy Namjoo reacts in front of me. She says senseless things."
"I know she does, but can't you take a minute to understand her feelings? She likes you."
"I don't know, Hyuk. We've been friends ever since when we were kids, but everytime I see her today, it feels like she's changed a lot more than I did. Just because of those so-called feelings."
"I just want you tell her how you feel without getting her in pain."
"How is that? You tell me." he sighed. "I bet she'll react insanely towards it."
"Just be honest."
He heaved another sigh. "Fine, I'll try but I won't promise you that I will."

-- END OF FLASHBACK --

 


Song suggestion (xxx)

 

Early on a Monday morning, Hyuk was at the principal's office the whole time. He was fixing his papers and so. Awhile later, Sungjae arrived, he was called upon Hyuk's request to come so he could talk to him, for the last time at least?

"You're leaving?"
"Like I've said, yes. At 6PM."
"And you called me to talk because?"
"If Namjoo asks, tell her you haven't seen me."
Sungjae nods. "Alright but again, why?"
"I have my reasons."
"Reasons you won't tell?"
"Exactly." he smiled.
"Thank you. It's rare that I say that but you took good care of her when I wasn't around."
"I just don't want seeing her lonely."
"She's right, you're a better friend than I was."
"Do... Did you like her?"
Sungjae smiled. "I like her. Because she's a precious childhood friend—but asking me if I like or liked her more than that.. I can't tell."
"You're starting to be honest. Thank you."
"I didn't get to ask you too, but I want to know so I will now."
"What?"
"You like her don't you? Doing and saying all this to me." he grinned, crossing his arms.
The other chuckled. "No, she's just a precious friend."
"I assume. Well... alright. I'll believe you, somehow."

 

During class, Namjoo kept glancing—this time—at Hyuk's table, thinking why he didn't came to class today. She got worried. When class was dismissed, she headed downtown, to the cafè to grab a quick drink. She tried sending several messages to Hyuk but he wasn't responding at all. She was getting even more worried. She arrived at the cafè, entered and to the counter. She ordered a caffè marocchino and reached inside her bag to fish out her wallet. Just as she did, the fortune cookie she kept fell on the floor. She picked it up before paying for her order.

"Oh I almost forgot about this."
She cracked it open and unfolded the paper that was inside.

Love knows not its own depth, until the hour of separation.

"What... This won't even cheer me up a bit." she mumbled.
Her drink was served.
"You aren't with your boyfriend today? He came in earlier to get the same drink. What a cute coincidence." the employee suddenly said.
"W-what boyfriend?"
"Yes. Uh, the one you were before? The one who gave you the tall glass of pepero. He was really sweet to request that from us, just to cheer you up."
Namjoo thought for a minute, thinking he hasn't gone to this cafè with Sungjae nor any other guy friends but Hyuk.
"D-do you mean Hyuk? Wait, h-he was the one who asked for the pepero?"

And then it hit her.

She ran back to the school to look for Hyuk, leaving her paid drink unattended at the cafè counter. In a hurry, she bumped into—fortunately—Sungjae along the hallway.

"Sungjae, have you seen Hyuk lately?" she asked, almost out of breath.
"Are you okay?"
"Have you seen him?!"
"Uh, no. He wasn't at the dorm too. Why?"
"I wonder where he is. I need to talk to him."
He shrugged. "I don't know."
"Oh." she breathed. "Speaking of Hyuk, I wanted to give this back." she said, handing him the flower crown.
Sungjae was utterly puzzled. "Give it back? Why, did that came from me?"
Namjoo blinked.
"That didn't came from me."
"But... Hyuk said.. you. Hyuk said you gave this.. for me."
"He said that?" he laughed.
Hyuk really does like her. That crazy guy.
"What's funny?" she frowned. "Are you two trying to joke on me?!"
He laughed again. "You really don't know?"
"Don't know what?"
"He's leaving in less than—" he glanced at his wristwatch. "—two hours."
"W-what? What are you sa—"
"He didn't tell you? He really didn't tell you?"
"What!"
"He's leaving for Europe and you have no idea. He's leaving and staying there, for good."


Namjoo felt so stupid and dumbfounded. She felt really bad for not talking to Hyuk about it, and a bit annoyed about Hyuk not telling her. She ran out of the school and rode to the boys' dorm. She arrived shortly, and abruptly entered Hyuk's room. More than neat, it was literally clean. No signs of Hyuk's things or stuff. She couldn't believe it. All that's left was the little white ribbon clip from the other night and a pen on top of a written letter. She opened it, and surprisingly expected, it was for her.

 

Namjoo, look at me writing a very expressive letter for you. I couldn't tell you personally but I'm leaving. I'm moving to Europe to study and help my dad. I just want you to know that you've made me happy, a lot. I love how you smile and giggle, and just start laughing randomly. I love how you greet me cheerfully everyday. I love how your eyes sparkle whenever you glance at others. I love how cute you are when you act like a kid—really. But please, if it's me I'd rather not do it a lot. Most especially, I love your voice, whether you're talking or singing. I love it when you mumble over the phone with your sweet voice. I love when you mumble softly whenever we talk. I love it so much when you doze off during our conversations. It's cute. Thank you for being an inpiration, for making my day and making my heart race everyday. I'm in love with you but I couldn't say it. I'm in love with you but you clearly don't know. Please be strong. I know Sungjae is a pain but you'll get over it eventually. Fighting, Kim Namjoo!

P.S. You're probably reading this with your confused face. You're cute.
P.P.S. This letter isn't meant to make you cry. I don't want to see you cry, so don't. Please?

I'm here for you, Hyuk.

 

"Stupid. How stupid. How stupid—" she mumbled, her tears started to fall down immensely.

 

 

Number of words: 2.4k+