oblivious;

In A Daze

To be honest this was a very sudden story. It's kind of a mixed romance and drama, because love stories are always so cliché, as they say. I'm going with the flow of my imagination. My first fanfic was supposed to be a Jaehwan ♡ Dohee but I still haven't figured out how to continue with it. Just because I get so much feels all at the same time. Oh, and just a quick note, the girl was supposed to be Chorong and not Joy, but when the WGM news came out, I changed her to Joy. I love Joy so much, tbh. Okay, that was it. I have a lot in my drafts—not in aff. Hopefully I get some kind of inspiration to finish all of them by the end of the year and post them eventually. Sorry for this random author's note.

Well, here you go.

 

It was summer.

 

Namjoo arrived at a downtown café where she would usually stay to meditate and keep herself calm. She opened the door and walked the fleecy rosy brown carpet towards the counter, this lovely song playing. "One order of strawberry yogurt smoothie and a slice of strawberries & cream cake please." she turned around to scan the place. "I haven't been here for awhile by myself. It still feels warm.. and cozy and calming." she thought. The lass turned back and quickly thanked with a bow as soon as her tray was served in front of her. She scooted to a table, almost near a corner, as she felt like she really needed her alone time even when there's not really a lot of people inside the place that day. She just sat there, her food and drink almost untouched, she was looking at her phone—more like staring at it.

 

Just then, "Oh, Namjoo?" a familiar voice brought her back to her senses.
"Ah, I haven't seen you for awhile. I didn't know you go to a café by yourself." he uttered, along with a snicker.
Namjoo looked up at him. "Are you here just for that?" It was Hyuk. A classmate and friend.
She would usually laugh it out or smile at him back but the reaction was disparate. It made the guy wonder.
"Are you okay? You don't seem cheerful today?" the girl smiled only a wee bit and shrugged.
"Just a little.. well, not in the mood."
"Did something happened?"
"No. Just.. today's been a little down for me. There are days like that, right?"
"Well yeah, but there must be a reason. Your clubmates did something? Or something happened between you and other friends? Or don't tell me, was it my fault?" he tilted his head a bit, eliciting a fake gasp.
Namjoo giggled. It was the first time today. "No, it's not. I'm already used to Hyuk."
"Really?" she nodded.

 

A few minutes of silence passed, the waiter suddenly arrived to their table with a tall glass with countable numbers of pepero in it.
"Hi! This is for you."
"B-but I didn't order something like this. Did you, Hyuk?" shifting his gaze to the guy across the table.
The latter could only shake his head, looking at her and the waiter confusingly.
"It's free. Please take it."
Namjoo pursed her lips a bit before grabbing onto the glass. "Well, thank you. I appreciate it so much." bowing her head as well.
She smiled. "Must be my lucky day."

 

"Oh, have you seen Sungjae lately? He's been going around with a freshman from our school.. uh, what was her name?"
Namjoo's face obviously stiffened at the sudden topic. However she quickly snapped out of it at the thought of Hyuk questioning her. She shook her head and smiled—fraudulently. "Didn't catch her name."
"Well, aren't you supposed to have knowledge about him and his girlfriend? You're one of his closest friend after all."
The girl looked away and took a sip of her smoothie. "Why would I..." she mumbled.
"What?"
"I said, uh, it's not like you're not one of his friends too."
"But you're with him the most. You should get to know the girl."
"Maybe when I get the time." she responded, a bit cold but just right.

 

But in actual, she knows that the girl's name is Joy. She knows everything that happened before she and Sungjae became a thing. She knows everything because everytime he's with Sungjae, he would talk and brag about her, telling her how they met and how he approached her. It hurt her a lot, and eventually confused her. Seeing Sungjae changed like this. Why was she feeling that way? She knows she should be happy for a friend that she's been with for long. Now that he's finally happy being in love and being with someone. What was the reason she felt so wretched? All these negativities she shouldn't be thinking about.

 

 

It has been days of seemingly uncheerful Namjoo. The girls from their dance club, her friends, started worrying.
"Namjoo-ah, do you want to get some few days off? You look like you need rest. Major rest." Chorong insisted.
"But—"
"No buts." Eunji cut her off. "You need to rest."
The younger couldn't do anything but oblige.


"Are you busy?" Namjoo held on her phone the moment she got to their dorm.
"No. Why?" It was Hyuk on the other line. "Did you miss me that's why you called?"
"As if." she hissed.
"So what are you up to?"
"Chorong insisted that I should get some rest.. but I feel more isolated like this."
"And so?"
"Ya! Aren't you supposed to be making me feel better?"
"I'm asking.." with a wee snicker.
"Ah, really." the girl sighed. "Anyway, can we go eat out?"
"Where?"
"Well, I hear you like Gopchang? Why not teach me how to eat them."
"I'm sure you know but if food will make you feel better—like it always does anyway—then okay."
"Thank you!"
"I know the best place to eat delicious Gopchang."
"Then take me there!"

 

Namjoo arrived at the place only to see Hyuk already there, standing and waiting, in his hoodie, ripped jeans and the usual training shoes he uses in their PE class. She grinned before calling him.

"Finally, you're here!" the guy blurted a bit.
"Sorry, I had trouble choosing what to wear."
Hyuk looked at her from head to toe. She was wearing a plain semi-loose tee, distressed shorts and a pair of sneakers.
"You had trouble choosing those?"
Namjoo hit his arm lightly. "I know they're really pretty plain." she pouted. "Let's just eat."

 

The two settled down their table, looking at their precious food being served before them,  wonderful song playing.
"Let's eat!" They both started nomming on the food.
"So, why did they insisted you to rest?"
"They said I don't seem like usual? They think I'm sick, I guess."
"Aren't you just making that up as an excuse so you can eat with me?"
"I can eat alone, thank you very much." she mumbled with food in .
"Is that so?" Alright." Hyuk responded and was about to get up when he heard Namjoo whine, gripped on the hem of his hoodie.
He sat back down. "Fine. Just don't do that again."
"Don't do what again?" she tilted her head and whined—cutely this time.
Hyuk groaned lowly. "Stop.."

 

Just then, an employee came towards them, bringing a bowl of beef short ribs.
"Hi, this is our special beef short ribs today. It's on the house. Please enjoy." the lass gasped at the sight.
"Really?!" Hyuk glanced at the excited Namjoo and smiled.
"Thank you! We're gonna finish them." she happily responded. The guy chuckled in astonishment.
"Are you always like that when you get free food?"
"Always like what? Besides, it's still food. It'll be a waste if we don't accept it, especially when it's given free."
Hyuk smiled, wanting to say how cute she was but he got at loss for words.
"What's that smile?"
"Nothing. Just eat and finish up."

 

Namjoo smiled, looking at him.
"What?" he mumbled with food inside his mouth.
"You're cute." she giggled. "Should we take a photo?"
"You're weird." he chuckled. "What?"
"A p-h-o-t-o."
"What. I'm not stupid. But what for?"
"Just tell me if you don't like it." she pouted.
"Fine, fine." the girl eagerly fish her phone out and took photos of them together.

 

 

After the food fest, they decided to head back to their dorms before it gets late, or at least before Namjoo's friends find out she went out. Hyuk called his dad's friend who happens to be a cab driver in the nearby place and asked if he could give them a ride back to their dorms. Namjoo thanked him for spending a day with her, she also said it made her feel quite better.

 

On their way home, Namjoo sat, put her earphones on and played a music in low volume. The guy glanced at her and smiled as he spoke, telling her to take a rest for a moment if she would want to. He turned to check Namjoo only to see her with her eyes closed, already taking her nap. He smiled a bit. How cute. He thought.

A few minutes later, they arrived the girls dorm. Hyuk woke the sleeping lass.
"Sleeping beauty, we've arrived in your castle. You may continue your slumber inside your royal room." he spoke in a—somewhat—king's voice.
Namjoo giggled—a bit too drowsily—as she woke up, rubbing her eyes and yawning in unison. She got out from the car and waved at Hyuk. "Thank you for today, Hyuk-ah!"
"Anytime."
"Call or send a message once you got back to your dorm."
"I will."

The cab left and Namjoo got inside the dorm. No signs of the other girls. She sighed of relief and sauntered towards her room, practically jumping on her bed with a muffled giggle. "I better sleep." she yawned once more. Just then her phone rang. Who could be calling her?

"Oh. It's Hyuk." she answered the call. "Hey! You're at the dorm already? That was fast."
"Ah, no. I'm still on the way. I just wanted to check if sleeping beauty went back to her slumber." he chuckled.
Namjoo pouted on the other line. "Well, I was about to...."
"I see, alright, well.. I guess I have nothing to say anymore."
"Yea- hm?"
"Oh, I wanted to thank you too for today?"
"Hm?"
"Thank you for today too. I want you to know that I'll be around if you need me. For anything, I guess?"
There was no reply. "Namjoo?" The latter fell asleep like that.
"Namjoo? You're asleep?" he chuckled. "You fell asleep?" he chuckled once again at the thought.
"Good night." he mumbled before hanging up. "This girl.."

 


It seems like Namjoo's mood lifted up after a few days mainly because she's been talking and hanging out with friends—apparently forgetting about Sungjae for a long while. She has been hanging out with Hyuk a lot too.

 

{ text message }

[08:15AM] Hyuk-ah, it's Saturday! Let's do something fun today!
[08:23AM] Sure, but what?
[08:23AM] What took you so long to reply?
[08:26AM] I was checking on something
[08:27AM] Alright!
[08:27AM] How about going to the amusement park?
[08:30AM] Sounds good?
[08:30AM] Is that a doubt?
[08:32AM] I mean, that sounds good!
[08:32AM] Okay, I'll see you there then? ^..^
[08:36AM] Just don't be late and tell me you had trouble with picking what to wear again.
[08:41AM] What? I won't...
[08:41AM] I mean... I'll try not to be late. ^..^

  

 

Song suggestion {xxx}

Namjoo did arrived late, or the younger was just a little early.
"Finally."
"How long have you've been waiting?" the girl tilted her head, looking slightly sheepish.
Hyuk had his eyes on her as she spoke, he found her really cute today, in her pastel dress and soft, wavy dark brown-nose hair.
"Hyuk?"
"Oh.. w-what was that? I just got here. Don't worry." he replied, getting back to his senses.
"Really? Good!" she smiled and clinged on Hyuk's arm.

Hyuk didn't like the idea of people—especially girls—clinging onto him like this, but this time, it felt like he had to let her. Just so she'll know that she won't have to let go of him the whole day. It made her feel comfortable and secured at the same time.

"So, what are we gonna do?"
"Rides, of course!"
Hyuk laughed. "Yeah, but which one?"
"All of them!" she happily exclaimed.
"All of them?"

 

After riding some, they decided to take a break. They sat in one of those cutely themed and arranged tables in front of the food stalls. They looked around the place, smiling in contentment. They stayed silent for awhile just so they could catch some fresh air on their own, and both also checked on their phone if ever there's anything important. Hyuk would randomly ask if she enjoyed the rides and the girl would smile widely at him and answer with a hyped nod. She would ask the same but Hyuk would just respond with a serene yes. Weird that pauses kept being brought up between the two and temperature somehow becomes awkward but they would just ignore it, they'd think it's probably because they have nothing to talk about for being together almost every week.

 

Namjoo giggled. "We're like an odd couple."
"Odd couple?" he chuckled a bit.
"Nothing. Do you want to eat anything?"
"I'll just get what you'll have."
"Then... are fries okay?" he nodded.
Just as Namjoo was about to get up, "Hi, this is for you." A kid came up to her and was handing her a pastel colored star-shaped balloon.
"F-for me?"
"Yes, because I find noona pretty." the kid replied, batting his eyelashes like the cutie he is.
She flustered, bowing her head and saying thank you to the kid before he left.
"That was sudden." Hyuk chuckled.
"That was cute!" the older turned to him and gave a small pout.
"At least he gave me something to make me smile, unlike a friend who's with me today."
"As you've said, I'm a friend. Not a boyfriend."
Namjoo frowned. "I'm not buying you food."

 

 

On their walk to the girls' dorm, Hyuk never stopped glancing at her—without a reason.
"Did you have fun today?" Namjoo suddenly giggled.
"Is that what you've been wanting to ask me?"
"What do you mean?"
"You've been glancing, right? And how many times do you have to ask me that question?"
Hyuk hawked a bit. "I just wanted to make sure."
"I did. Thank you so much, Hyukkie!" they both smiled.
"Do you like amusement parks?" Namjoo questioned.
"Somehow. It's just.. everytime I'm asked where I'll take my special someone, I always say I'll rent a whole amusement park for her."
Namjoo gasped. "Really?! Lucky girl!" Hyuk somewhat smiled.

 

 

Second semester started.

 

"Hey, Hyuk!" Sungjae greeted as he arrived in class.
"Oh, hey."
"I heard you took Namjoo to a date. How was it?" he nudged playfully.
"What?"
"Come on, don't deny. The guys told me you two were at an amusement park together last weekend."
Hyuk shook his head. "That wasn't a date. I just went with her since she needed some fun time, because she was too dismal."
He replied emphasizing how she has been lonely.
"Yeah, right." the other guy gave a sarcastic chuckle.
"If you don't believe me then ask Namjoo."
"Okay." he shrugged. "But I'm sure, unlike you, she won't deny."
Hyuk was left a bit puzzled.

 

Hyuk was about to head home when he came upon Sungjae and Namjoo talking at the stairs. He didn't want to eavesdrop on their conversation but his curiosity didn't want him to turn back and leave.

"You had a date with Hyuk and I didn't know."
"Well, you're officially dating Joy without a little of my consent."
"I need a little of your consent?"
Namjoo looked down. "You're jealous. Obviously? And what's worse is you're using Hyuk to make me jealous? Or make yourself look like you aren't jealous of Joy."
"I'm not using him, he's a good friend unlike you." she wanted to tear down.
"You know your words don't make sense, Kim Namjoo." he sighed. "You like me, am I right? You're really too obvious."
"No!" she shouted and ran up the stairs.

Accidentally, she bumped to Hyuk. She looked up and was about to say sorry.
"Hyuk?" he smiled, with worry in his eyes.
"How long..."
"I'm about to go home." he responded swiftly, not wanting to let her know what he heard.
"Are you okay? You're tearing-"
"I'm okay." he cut him off with a smile. "You should head home."
Hyuk immediately thought of something—something to distract her from all these.
"Are you planning on doing anything right now?" Hyuk asked.
Namjoo rubbed her both eyes. "N-not really. Why?" she tilted her head, puzzled.
"I was gonna head to the music store. Can you go with me?" he smiled.
"Alright."


Namjoo beamed at the sight of CDs in front of her. She kept asking herself why she came with Hyuk when she knew she's just gonna get all giddy seeing random things inside the music store. She walked around the place like a little kid fond of cool stuff. Hyuk not keeping an eye away from her, had a feeling of relief as soon as he sees her smiling. He knew this would make her smile at least, they both loved music and Namjoo really brightens up seeing these. There were a few number of people inside the store, one or pairs or groups among them were from their school. Some quickly noticed Namjoo and Hyuk together, and couldn't resist talking about the girl.


"They really are dating."
"I can't believe it, they really are together."
"I thought Namjoo was dating Sungjae, I guess they were just friends ever since."
"Maybe Namjoo just came running to Hyuk because Sungjae's with Joy now."

 

These words. Namjoo stilled at one point as she heard these awful stuff. She felt like crying, her heart hurts, she wanted to clench her fist and hit it on her chest but she couldn't. But just then, her ears got embraced by a pair of headset. It played this beautiful song. Namjoo got a bit surprised, her head spun back to see Hyuk smiling at her and mouthing the words, "Listen to it." as the song played. She obliged to it and about a few seconds of the song, Namjoo was smiling widely, completely forgetting about earlier. Hyuk felt reassured.


Time flies with me
It walks too fast so it makes me cry sometimes
Among this place full of masked people, the one who reach out to me was you

The one who dried my tearful eyes it was you
Could you be my darling? Now I’ll be the one who holds you

You’re not alone, I’ll be here by your side, don’t be scared
To you who let me know I was not alone
I just wanna thank you, I appreciate it
I’m shy so I send this song instead

Number of words: 2961 

Sorry if it's badly written. I'll do my best next time.

I also hope you'll like my song suggestions. They're gonna be everywhere.