Awakening

Unbound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And as soon as I had entered my house I was leaving me once more. I was confused and honestly a bit scared of these men who claim I’m the next dragon born. He I didn’t even know what the so called ‘”Dragon born” was! I glanced at my parents and Kris one last time before leaving my house again. I needed space and some time to breath. Call me a coward but I typically run away from problems.

“Auriella wait!” I looked behind me only to see the tall blond chasing after me.

“Leave me alone!” I yelled back and continued running away and into the forest.

“Just wait a moment, please!” he begged and surprisingly caught up with me, grabbing my arm making me stop forcefully.

“What?!” I roared and spun around shocking him a bit “I need some time to myself. Why don’t you understand that?!”

He stared at me with an unreadable expression and I felt my heart beat slow down a bit.

“It’s not as bad as you think it is,” he said reassuringly as I shut my eyes feeling overwhelmed.

“Kris, I am supposed to be getting married on the 31st of the evening star. That is three months from now. I can’t have anything else on my plate when I have to uphold this honor to my people and ancestors. So I suggest you find someone else to be your dragon born or whatever it is you are telling me I am,” I said with a heavy heart as he stumbled back a bit in shock.

“Auriella, I don’t think you understand. You are the only one,” his tone came out more as a plea but he let go of my wrist reluctantly.

I could tell how this may be a sticky situation for him and felt a bit sorry for my stubbornness.

“Explain to me what this is about,” I finally asked and plopped down onto the leaf covered forest floor.

His eye brightened up a bit and I couldn’t help but crack a small smile. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested about the whole dragon born thing, it was completely foreign to me.

“My brothers and I have waited nearly a thousand years for the other half of the dragon should to be reborn and return among the mortals. Our duty is to serve and assist the dragon born in pretty much everything. We had trained the last dragon born in the ways of our powers and taught her the ancient dragon language. Which is what our duty it with you as well if you accept us,” he explained and I found it somewhat making sense.

“What is the dragon born exactly?” I titled my head in curiosity and he sat down on the grass beside me instead of pacing as he talked.

“A warrior who was bestowed the gift of the blood and soul of a dragon by Akatosh, but has the body and frailties of a mortal. Naturally they are able to learn and speak the ancient and powerful tongue of the Dov or as you know the dragons like second nature,” he spoke with avid enthusiasm and hand movements almost making me laugh.

“So you’re telling me my blood is dragon blood as well as my soul,” I looked at him like he was deranged but he nodded as if the concept was normal “Then what happens when I die?”

His expression somewhat dropped and he looked as if he were just kicked in the stomach.

“Then your soul will leave your body and go back to Akatosh until he decides it is to be reborn,” he said solemnly making me nod.

“So he decided that the last dragon born’s soul should come to me?” I mumbled more to myself wonder how that could even be possible.

I didn’t think I was anything special. For heaven’s sake I have lived in hiding my entire life I don’t even know all that much about the world outside of our tribe.

“Yes, but I guess that says something about your character,” he remarked making me look at him his eye filled with sincerity “After all the previous dragon born and I had been through she died practically as a martyr to Cyrodil and Tamriel. As you must know from your history Tiber Septim or as you know Talos the god of war, united the lands of Tamriel and Cyrodil during his reign as emperor. During that era was also when my brothers and I came into contact with the last dragon born. Her name was Taura and she was a young warrior at the time living in the imperial city.”

I stared him as he spoke of the girl his voice seemed so longing and heartbroken as every word escaped his lips.

“She wasn’t the only dragon born at the time which is rare but Tiber Septim was as well. He was under the guidance of my eldest brothers Alduin, Parthurrnax, and Mirrak unlike Taura who had all twelve of my brothers who are here at your service now. When he found out of Taura’s title he knew it somewhat threatened his power and if the people knew of it then he had the chance of losing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter