Prologue

Unbound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I awoke to the fresh scent of the earth, the falling leaves giving the air a sweet scent. The dim light of outdoors streamed through the small cracks in the stone walls of our small house just outside of White run. I basked in the warmth of my fur pelts and wished I could just lay there forever. That was until I began to think of the new section I had discovered in a nearby ruin.

It was a passion of mine to discover and study the things that have been forgotten in time.  I had always had this thirst for knowledge about the past. Learning the ways of long ago made me feel like I could better understand myself but my parents think it’s just an excuse to be a trouble child.

“Auriella!” my mother called from the fire place down stairs making me scramble out of bed and quickly fix my clothes in hope of looking at least presentable “If you want food I suggest you hurry!”

“Smells delicious,” I smiled as I nearly fell down the stairs into the dining room and she shot me a serious look.

“Where were you last night?” she inquired and set a bowl of soup for me on the table before filling herself a bowl and taking the seat across from me.

“You wouldn’t believe what I discovered,” I beamed and she somewhat shook her head.

“Let me guess another passage?” she drawled sarcastically but it didn’t extinguish my excitement.

“It was so amazing I wish you would come with me,” I sighed airily and she began to eat her soup with a look of disappointment.

“Your father was not pleased Auriella,” she scolded before setting her spoon down and sipping some water.

“I know I’m not supposed to stay out that late but this was a major find mom. I really feel as if I’m on my way to finding something great!” I exclaimed nearly knocking over my glass of cider earning an annoyed look from my mother.

“It seems you’ve forgotten about your engagement party then” my father’s voice boomed as he entered the room sending chills down my spine.

“Father, I-“I stopped mid-sentence as he shot me a stern look making me shut my mouth. He took his seat at the head of the table and glanced at my mother before back at me.

“You seem to have also forgotten that we are a dying race Auriella, near extinct if I may say so myself by the looks of your behavior,” he lifted his glass to his lips and paused “I know you don’t want to marry Aerin but his family the only other existing Akiviri tribe in Skyrim”

“Aerin is also quite the catch darling he will take care of you well” my mother chimed in but it didn’t make me feel any better “Let us hope the goddess Mara guides you”

It took everything I had not to roll my eyes at her. For starters Aerin is the son of the chief in the next tribe over, whereas my family broke off from the tribe. My parents wanted to raise me without all the politics within the tribe but were still very active in tribe affairs. Now that they think I am old enough they believe I should be too meaning getting married and carrying on the Akiviri traditions. Aerin being the chief’s son means that he will take his father’s place and I will be the one to bear the next chief.

“Aerin will be by this morning so that you two may bond or at least talk,” my father began to eat his soup as I scowled.

“I’m going to the ruins today” I set my spoon on the table and felt him become tense at my tone of voice.

“Take him with you. Share your interests,” he glanced up smiling a bit making me refrain from whining. His smiles were never kind.

Quickly I stood up but before I could even make it out of the room the front door opened.

“Father, I’ve come to pay my respects” Aerin stood in the doorway a smile plastered on his face.

“And you are just in time to Auriella” my mom snickered and signaled for me to leave with her hands.

“Then we will head out” he held his hand out for me but I refused it and brushed past him, grabbing my bag on the way out the door “I will take good care of her” he called back to my parents before shutting the door.

“Stop with the act already” I snarled as he laughed and joined me at my side before I pulled my hood over my head.

“As much as you hate it I’m actually looking forward to us getting married” he chuckled and I felt myself snap grabbing him by the collar and pinning him against a nearby tree taking him by surprise.

“Listen, I can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter