FIVE

My Kind of Crazy

Three weeks passed and the office was still in a frenzy. Even if they were short-staffed, they still arranged a meeting for the next issue of the magazine. Everyone pitched in ideas, most of which Jong Kook encouraged to be looked into further. From the front of the room, he observed his employees, all of whom were looking down, talking to each other about the concepts, determined to figure out what step would be the best for each page or spread. Even though he doesn’t have that many people currently in his team, he appreciated their hard work. He was too immersed in looking at them when he noticed Ji Hyo staring back at him. She sent a small smile and slight nod his way and he was glad.

Jong Kook stood up and approached the white board which contained the concept for the September issue of ERA. He brought up Joong Ki’s idea for a “night life” theme, which doesn’t exactly mean just the people who go to the bars and all, but what people in all age groups do. Suk Jin mentioned the university students, who were probably in the middle of their fall semester, and how they would still be found lingering in the streets at night trying to keep awake for studying later or just to hang out with friends during their free time.

The meeting commenced and everyone started to work together, clearing all the junk from their desks that once served as barriers. Jong Kook excused himself, saying that he needed to overlook some applications that they received for possible new officemates. All of them bowed to him and off he went.

“Well, the tiger looked much tamer today,” Suk Jin commented. Everyone agreed.

Joong Ki and Ji Hyo worked on the art concept of the magazine, from the themes of the pages to the pictures that needed to be taken. Soo Hyun worked with Suk Jin, who called up some restaurants that are open late at night and are known around Seoul. They also sent out e-mails to the said restaurants and wished for them to featured in the magazine. Though she was busy, Ji Hyo looked up and saw Jong Kook in his office, scanning what’s on his computer with furrowed brows. She wondered if he was stressing himself too much, some feeling that she’s familiar with. She knew that he should be used to it, but still, they don’t have that many people in the office, but she knows there would be a time where every position will be filled. She smiled.

She stood up and announced, “Hey, everyone! We need a coffee break, don’t you guys think?”

A collected answer of “yes” was heard. She picked up her bag and slung it over her shoulder. “My treat. Just text me what you all want.”

They rejoiced and immediately took out their phones, texting Ji Hyo exactly what they wanted. She read the first text. “Hey! I didn’t say anything about food. Who ordered the blueberry muffin and vanilla scone along with a caramel macchiato?”

“If you’re going to treat the office, don’t you think you should do it full on?” Suk Jin offered.

“So the culprit is you, aren’t you, Mr. Ji?” She narrowed her eyes at him in jest. He raised his hands up, confessing to his crime. They all laughed.

“Anyway, thanks Ms. Song. You should go now.” Soo Hyun ushered her to the door.

She couldn’t get rid of her smile on her way to the café across the street, feeling closer to her co-workers already. Now that she thought about it, she didn’t ask for Jong Kook’s order. She just told herself that she would get him whatever she’ll get. Her go-to drink: an iced Americano.

~

The office people cheered once again once they heard a commotion outside the door. “Ya, don’t you think it’s nice to help me out here?” she called out to them.

Joong Ki finally opened the door for her, but still not taking any of the containers from her hands. “Seriously.” She rolled her eyes when he took the one bag containing the treats. He then took the remaining cup holders from her hands and let the door almost hit Ji Hyo in the face.

“This kid! Really!” she screamed at him.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Song. My reflexes aren’t too great. I’ve suffered from caffeine shortage in my system for far too long,” he looked over his shoulder, amused by the scowl on Ji Hyo’s face.

“If you needed caffeine, we have some in the office, you know,” Soo Hyun said, looking over the cup holder for his own coffee. He took the cup and took his first sip. “Ahhh. So glorious.”

While her fellow co-workers looked for their coffee orders, Ji Hyo grabbed her own cup and the one she ordered for Jong Kook. She even got the packaged fruit salad she bought him from the bag. She made her way to his office, and knocked on the door. There was no response, and when she looked over at the other people in the office, they were all chit-chatting and exchanging ideas while having their coffees. She walked in his office and found him sleeping, his head resting on his arms. He looked like a cute little cub instead of the mighty tiger everyone had been describing him. He must’ve been very tired to fall asleep at the office.

Ji Hyo wasn’t sure if she should wake him up, or if she should let him sleep, but it’s only five in the afternoon, and they needed their leader. Plus, his coffee would get too watered down to drink. She set down the coffee cups on his desk and leaned over. She gently touched his left hand and lightly tapped it. When he didn’t budge, she moved closer to his face, and whispered, “Mr. Kim? Mr. Kim, wake up.”

He slowly opened his eyes and saw Ji Hyo’s face only a few inches away from his. He popped open one eye and immediately sat up. He rubbed his eyes and turned his swivel chair away from Ji Hyo’s vision. She giggled quietly as she saw him fixing his tie and collar and making sure his face is clean. He finally faced her and gave her a smile.

“Ms. Song, is there anything you need?”

“Our leader, but he was fast asleep,” she joked. “Oh, I got you these.” She pointed at the cup of coffee and the fruit salad.

“I-- I don’t drink coffee,” he said, looking up and meeting her eyes. “I’m sorry, Ji Hyo. I mean, Ms. Song. I never liked it.”

She quickly nodded, as if it’s nothing. “It’s all right. But Mr. Kim, you ought to try out things first before deciding whether you like it or not. At least three times, really. That’s my rule.”

He shook his head, feeling sorry. “I’ll just pay for-”

She took the cup and put it in front of him. “It’s okay. I treated the whole office. Come on, just one-”

Before Ji Hyo could continue, there was a knock on the door. Jo Min Hee entered to room, seeing Ji Hyo trying to make him drink the coffee. She laughed inwardly, knowing how well Jong Kook doesn’t like it at all.

“Sir? I just got the emails from some of the possible employees. Should I forward them to you?” she asked.

Ji Hyo stepped aside when Min Hee handed him the papers. She watched with curiosity how his forehead creased from the information he’s probably reading. Min Hee slightly nudged her with her elbow and grinned at her. Was I spacing out again? she thought.

“These people are the ones from the other company, right?” he said, glancing up at Min Hee for a split second. “Do you think our crew knows who they are?”

Min Hee shrugged. “I don’t know, Sir. Should I ask them?”

“We should,” he said, closing the folder and standing up. “Let’s go.”

Before leaving the office, he unconsciously sipped the coffee Ji Hyo gave him. She caught him in the act and she smiled to herself. The two ladies and Jong Kook then stepped out of the door. He cleared his throat and they all looked up at him.

~

“Kwang Soo!” Joong Ki called out, approaching his friend entering from the office’s door. The two met and embraced, then walked to Jong Kook’s office. Kwang Soo said that he’s waiting for another person, and that person, Jae Suk is also on his way up.

A meeting between Jong Kook and the two new employees were held inside his office, and after they shook hands, both parties said that they were happy to finally be working together.

Jong Kook introduced the two new employees, and they were welcomed warmly.

“What made you two transfer companies?” Suk Jin questioned.

“Well, the son of the company and our new— or our ex-new boss, Kang Gary, said that we don’t fit in the ‘new and improved’ image Running Man is trying to portray,” Jae Suk answered.

“What an ,” Soo Hyun muttered.

“Yeah,” Kwang Soo said, being comforted by Joong Ki.

That’s cruel, Ji Hyo thought. She then smiled at the two. “I think you’ll like it here. I’ve only been here for a few weeks and they’ve all treated me well.”

“Just wait for the ‘rush hour’, Ji Hyo. Or as we call it, hell,” Suk Jin told her.

Everyone laughed, including the Jae Suk and Kwang Soo. They already like the atmosphere.