TWO

My Kind of Crazy

The barista looked at them from head to toe with a raised eyebrow from the moment they walked in the door of the café.

 

“Hello,” he greeted. “It’s hard to avoid the rain, isn’t it?”

 

Ji Hyo laughed. “Actually,” she turned to Jong Kook, “it was because of our own doing.”

 

“She had me play in the rain with her,” he interfered, a smile on his face.

 

“Really? Anyway, may I have your orders?”

 

“Oh, yes. I’d have an Americano and a cheese danish. I don’t know about him, though.” She looked at Jong Kook expectantly.

 

“Can I just have some warm water and-” he grabbed the fruit salad on the stand, “this.”

 

“You’re just going to have that?”

 

He nodded at her, taking out his wallet to pay.

 

Ji Hyo also has her wallet out, which he refused. “Remember when you refused my coat? Can’t let you do that to me again.” He took out his card and paid for their order.

 

He led her to the table near the windows, wanting to watch what’s going on outside the store. When they were seated, he looked at how she’s rubbing her arms, trying to warm herself up.


“Are you okay?” he asked.

 

She nodded. “I’m fine. Just pretty cold because… you know.”

 

“I know.” He looked outside one more time. “Wait here. I’ll be back.”

 

“Wha-” she started as she watches him leave.

 

She started to get worried as their order arrived. He’s still not back. He stood me up, she though. She almost laughed at herself once she realized that they weren’t on a date; that in fact, they were still complete strangers. Just as another thought was about to enter her mind, he walked in, with some bright orange thing on his hands.

 

“You should change into this,” he said to her, handing her the brightly-colored jacket.

 

“Where did you get this?” she asked, eyeing the sweater.

 

“It was the most decent one I can find on the nearest store. Sorry if it looks too… tacky.”

 

She shrugged. “It’s not tacky, it’s just very bright.” She excused herself to go to the bathroom. “Hey, there better not be a bite on my danish when I get back.”

 

“It’ll still be here, I promise.”

 

He smirked when he saw her strut from the restroom, clad in the garish piece of clothing.

 

“Are you trying to not laugh at me?” she playfully accused him. “Well, you can laugh, if you want. I don’t care.”

 

“I’m not going to laugh at you. Even though you’re not completely warm, I think it’s better than wearing your wet clothes.”

 

“Yep,” she said, taking a sip of her coffee. “Thank you, by the way.”

 

He only nodded. She quietly ate her danish, looking around the café because of the lack of conversation.

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for a living?” she finally spoke to break the growing silence.

 

Jong Kook wiped his forehead with a napkin. “I’m a CEO of a publishing company.”

 

“That’s amazing!”

 

“And you?”

 

“Oh,” she puffed. “It’s far from your job. It’s amazing, but not… ‘your job amazing’.”

 

“I saw your camera earlier. Are you a photographer?”

 

She nodded. “I am. I’m somewhat of a writer, too.”

 

“Really? Well, our company right now needs to hire a new photographer because one quit and left for America. Are you interested?” he told her, suddenly excited. He mentally kicked himself for acting too enthusiastically, which might make her back off.

 

“Actually, I have an interview for a job tomorrow. Thanks, though. If I don’t get accepted, I’ll give you a call.”

 

He laughed. “If you don’t mind, may I have your number? You know, just in case?”

 

“Hey, Mr. Kim Jong Kook! We’ve barely met one, two hours ago and you’re asking for my number already?”

 

“Hey, Ms. Song Ji Hyo! It’s all business!” He teased as he put his phone in front of her.

 

She raised her eyebrows at him, taunting him to go on. They eventually burst out laughing.

 

After their laughter subsided, she looked down to check her watch. It’s 10 P.M. She quickly typed in her number on his phone and handed it back to him.

 

“Wow, it’s pretty late. Mr. Kim Jong Kook, it’s been a pleasure to meet you,” she stood up, grabbing her wet clothes and camera. “Thanks for treating me out. I had fun today.”

 

“Me too, Ms. Song Ji Hyo. That’s the most fun I had in years.” He smiled at her.

 

“That’s too much. Anyway, see you soon!”

 

He watched her leave. The barista came over to the table to collect the empty cups.

 

“I shouldn't say this, but she has a pretty smile,” he commented.


“Yeah, she does.”