TWELVE

My Kind of Crazy

“Why did you decide to court me instead of just... you know how everyone is nowadays. Just a few exchange of texts, a few ‘I like yous’, and they’re already together. So, why choose this,” she gestured between them, “instead?”

He grinned. “Because a wise person once told me that rushing into things doesn’t always give you the best outcome. That it’s better to wait it out and test the waters to finally see if you really want something or someone in the first place. To know your worth to each other, I guess. And once you and the other person are sure, then you can show her your commitment— that you deserve to be the keeper of her heart, and she, yours.”

She studied his face with a tender look in her eyes. She smiled and said, “Oh.”

“She also said that love is a beautiful but fragile thing. It’s wonderful to have someone as your inspiration, but that doesn’t mean that we have to demand something from each other all at once, right?”

“Who is this ‘she’ who taught you all of this?”

He looked up at the sky and smiled. “My mom. She gave the best advices.”

She touched his face softly and he leaned in to her touch. “She must’ve been amazing.”

“She was. I promise to introduce you two to each other soon.” She nodded.

There was silence— it wasn’t awkward, but instead, it was satisfying. He took another glimpse of her face as she sipped her smoothie, observing the view in front of her. “This is my way of telling you that I’m ready to put the ball on your court to decide whether you want us to be together or not,” he spoke up. “I’ll be here always, yeah?”

She smiled at him, content at his words. Where else does one find a guy who believes in courting in the 21st century? She was happy that he was willing to wait, that they should take things slowly. She was glad that he was willing to linger as she slowly opens her heart to him after her disastrous relationship in the past.

“Thank you,” she said to him softly.

The two finished eating their lunch, taking a few pictures of each other and with each other, and Jong Kook proposed for them to ride a bike around the park to continue their questions game. They rented the bicycle with padded seat in front of the person pedalling. Jong Kook thought it would be awkward, but instead, Ji Hyo excitedly sat in front of him, swinging her legs out and urging him to hurry up and “move it.”

He put a foot on the right pedal and told her, “Ji Hyo, put your legs up.” She said they were already up and he pushed forward, moving the bicycle along the pavement. Ji Hyo felt the fresh air brush against her skin and slightly reclined her head, just touching Jong Kook’s chest for a moment. He didn’t even have to look down, but he felt the muscles on his face pull up to a smile.

“So, the question game,” Ji Hyo started, looking up at him for a moment, “I’ll start again, okay?”

“Okay,” he said, turning the bike to the right.

“Hmm, what else do you do other than sit on your in your swivel chair the whole day at the office?”

“Well, I exercise. Lift weights, run, and all that stuff.”

“That’s your pastime? Really?” She huffed.  

“Well, there’s music, too. Sort of. I haven’t really had the time these days to go back to it.”

She turned her head to look up at him. “Really? Do you sing?”

“Yep,” he answered, smiling down at her.

“Can you sing for me? Any song you wrote.”

Jong Kook started humming the melody of a song, but immediately said that he doesn’t have lyrics to it yet. He thought for a moment, and told her, “I’ll sing about you.”

She beamed, getting giddy as Jong Kook slowed down his pedaling as he sang. They were at the pathway near the river, the sun shining on the different boats that were sailing on the water.

“You were so pretty and your eyes were beautiful then. You stole my heart the moment that I met you. You are so gorgeous. You’re lovely when you’re smiling. You stole my heart the moment that I met you.”

Jong Kook stopped singing as he stopped the bicycle, fixing them a spot close to the river to watch the sailboats. Ji Hyo hopped off the bicycle and stood in front of it, while Jong Kook stepped off the bicycle and put his hands on the handlebar and the seat. Ji Hyo can feel the warmth radiating from Jong Kook’s body behind her— their bodies not quite touching, but still close enough for Jong Kook to smell her scent.

“I tried to get you out of my mind, but I couldn’t. I cannot stand it anymore, I didn’t have the guts to meet you. Days passed by as I think of you.”

“Ji Hyo?” he said, after singing the last lines.

“Hmm?” She turned around, facing him— their faces only a few inches apart.

“Thank you for such a beautiful day.”

They smiled at each other and continued to look at the view in front of them.

~

Two weeks passed and the weekend arrived quickly and Jong Kook decided to go for a run around the neighborhood. So he picked up his keys, his phone, and a bottle of water, knowing that he’ll just be near his home anyway. What he didn’t expect was, being so focused in running, he actually arrived in the middle of the city, running through the streets. He felt himself pick up his pace, so he could exceed his goal for the day, but stopped when he felt some raindrops falling on his forearm. The few raindrops turned into a raging shower, which he avoided by finding shelter under one of the shops with a tent in front of it.

He witnessed the shop owner, an short, old man, scurrying to take all of the books he could carry inside his shop. Jong Kook didn’t waste one more minute and helped him, taking the entire boxes into the shop. When he finished, the old man thanked him, saying that he couldn’t pay him anything but the secondhand books he sells in his shop, for his business is actually not doing too well. Of course, Jong Kook said that he need not pay him, but the old man urged him to choose whichever book he fancies. He texted Min Seok to pick him up in 10 minutes.

Jong Kook walked around the store, scanning the books in front of him, not knowing which one he should pick out. He asked the old man if he knew some books about business, and he led Jong Kook to the area where most of the books he was looking for were. He thanked the old man and looked again, but no such luck, for none of them interested him. Just then, at the corner of his eye, he saw the faded colors that surrounded the bottom-most part of the shelf.

He knelt and picked a book up, and it turns out, it was a gardening book. He was about to stand up when he saw the title, Flowers and Their Meanings, and it intrigued him. He grabbed it, and wiped the slightly dusty red cover. Jong Kook read some of the pages and was immediately hooked, thinking that he could give it to Ji Hyo. He wondered if she’d like it.

“My wife loved that book,” the man before him spoke up.

“Really?”

The old man nodded and took some book from the shelves in his arms. “She likes those kinds of things. Simple, but thoughtful.” The man looked at him, smiling. “You should give it to the woman in your life.”

Jong Kook smiled back and felt his phone vibrate. He checked it and Min Seok texted him, saying that he had arrived with the car. Jong Kook looked at the old man once again, saying thank you for the book.

“Good luck, boy!” the old man cried out, waving at him.

~

Jong Kook read the book all throughout that night. He made notes in a notebook about the flowers he wanted to give to Ji Hyo and which ones he should stay away from. He smiled to himself, thinking about her expression once she sees the blooms.

The next morning, Ji Hyo found a stem of sunflower on her desk and a red book. She looked around, and everyone was still busy settling in for the morning. She took the sunflower and admired it, and then put her attention to the book in front of her. When she flipped the cover, she found a little handwritten note at the top of the first page.

Ji Hyo,

I was told that you’ll meet the person whom you’re supposed to meet someday. I think it was fated that you and I meet. I hope you like flowers.

Jong Kook

Ji Hyo grinned when she read his little note. She leafed through the book and finally found the meaning of the sunflower. According to the book, it symbolizes adoration and dedicated love. Her heart skipped a beat when she read those lines. She was touched.

She didn’t realize, though, that Kwang Soo, who was sitting next to her, was witnessing everything that was happening to her. Every minor giggle, every smile, every time she read the note again and again— he saw it all. He grinned, knowing that Ji Hyo might really be in love.

He coughed next to her, unsuccessfully getting her attention. He looked at her once again with amused eyes, and coughed even louder.

“Hey! Go get some cough medicine over there or something!” Jae Suk called out from behind him.

“We don’t want to get sick here, idiot,” Joong Ki added.

Kwang Soo bowed his head. “I wasn’t really sick, okay. It was just- just a hiccup.”

The others shook their head at him and continued to start their day. “Ji Hyo,” he finally said.

“Yeah?” she said, turning to him.

Finally, he thinks. This sister of mine really knows how to space out. He pointed at the cup of coffee on her desk with his lips. “I got you coffee already.”

“Thanks, Kwang Soo.” She sipped the coffee and smiled at him.

“You look really giddy this early in the morning. And that’s without your coffee! What’s gotten into you?”

She stood up and proclaimed, “Something even better than caffeine. Happiness.”  


Disclaimer: The song is "So Pretty" by Kim Jong Kook and the flower information is from The Flower Expert's website.

A/N: I think it's pretty fair to say that none of my stuff will be proofread. xD Anyway, how's the story, guys? Do you think it's getting boring? Blergh. Sorry for not posting/updating quickly. It's just not my thing. :( Anyway, hope you guys have a good day! Thanks for still reading my crappy story! :)