ONE

My Kind of Crazy

After a hectic day at the office, Kim Jong Kook decided to get off of his car and take a walk across the bridge. He’s always loved the view from standing down there-- the lights being reflected on the river, the busyness of the streets, the soft murmurs of the people who are passing by the bridge.

 

A few feet across from him, he spotted another figure, a female, who seemed to be taking photos of the river and the view across it. He watched her with curiosity, hearing the faint clicking of the camera as she captures another shot. She set down the camera on the ground, and sat on the edge of the railing, her feet dangling mindlessly. He almost ran over her, thinking she would jump, but he almost smiles as he saw her taking in the view, much like what he’s been doing.

 

What started as little droplets of water falling one by one on his coat turned into a gentle shower, and that was enough to cause him to stand up and immediately head for his car. He turned around, remembering his “companion”, whom he saw taking off her own coat to cover her camera from getting wet. For the second time that night, he almost runs to her, but seeing her laughing and enjoying the rain makes him slow down his steps towards her instead.

 

He approached her and called her from afar, to let her know his presence. She looked at him-- wet hair, wet clothes, wet everything--  the smile not leaving her face.

 

“Miss, you need to find shelter! Here,” he took off his own coat and handed it to her. “Take it. You’re getting wet.”

 

“So are you!” she giggled, refusing his coat. She spread her arms to receive the rain instead.

 

“You’ll catch a cold if you don’t-”

 

She shrugged. “So will you, Mister.”

 

“Better me than you. Seriously, here, please take it.” He handed her his coat one more time.

 

“I’m all right. I just want to enjoy the rain. I haven’t done this since I was young.”

 

He watched her skip around, laughing as she jumped into a puddle. He smiled to himself and thought: Oh, what the heck.

 

He ended up joining her, patting her lightly on the shoulder to know that he’s next to her. She glanced at him, a huge grin manifested on her face. They ended up playing around, chasing each other in the rain. The two strangers immediately forming some sort of friendship.

 

After the rain somewhat became heavier, the two ran to the nearest tree for cover. They looked at the each other, both soaked to the bone, and laughed heartily.

 

“Mister, you’re soaked!” Ji Hyo giggled, fixing her hair.

 

He smiled at her as he took off his coat. “You too, Miss.”

 

“I’m Song Ji Hyo, by the way.” She reached out her hand.

 

He shook it. “Song Ji Hyo, I’m Kim Jong Kook.”

 

She smiled at him once again as their eyes met. Oh, how he’s falling for that smile of hers already. “Isn’t it a bit cliché that our first meeting is in the rain?”

 

He shook his head, smirking. “Aren’t you freezing? I know a coffee place nearby. We can take my car.”

 

“Are you sure? Isn’t your car going to get wet?”

 

“It’s fine. I’m already wet, so what’s another person to get the seats wet, right?”

 

She laughed and noddded. “If you say so.”

 

The walk to his car wasn’t as awkward as he thought. As they got closer to his car, he noticed how charming her spunk was as she keeps on talking about her adventures. He glanced to his side to take a look on at her profile: her big eyes, her dainty nose, and her beautiful smile. He swore that she’s crazy, but she’s the kind of crazy that he needed. Just for one night, she made him feel alive. It’s that same feeling he thought he lost some years ago.

 

He looked down at his feet, feeling somewhat embarrassed as he can’t contribute much to her stories. He looked up again as he heard her laugh one more time. He hoped that their meeting wouldn’t end abruptly because a part of him wants to be the reason behind the twinkle in her eyes. He knows that it’s a long-shot, but maybe, just maybe, she might be his kind of crazy.