CH.1

My Foreign Teacher *97 line*

ENG Thoughts

 

Ch.1

 

 

You closed your eyes as you held you hands together as you prayed. You applied to (Insert High School Name) public school. This school was the only school in Korea that you truly wanted to work at and today was the day that they would reply to your application.

You were terrified and excited. Mostly terrified. You doubted that they would even consider you since you were so young. Being twenty two was definitely points against you. However, you graduated with honors and your Korean is almost fluent. On top of that, your teachers wrote excellent recommendation papers for you. That should be enough, right? You breathed into your hands before you rubbed them together intensely.

Rub for good luck, rub for good thoughts, rub for good karma.” you whispered to yourself as you sat uncomfortably in your desk chair. You held out your palms toward the computer screen as you sent 'good vibes' to your mail box. With eyes closed, you stretched your fingers out as you hummed. After you felt confident enough you open your eyes and clicked to your email.

15 new messages

You almost exited out of your browser. This was too much pressure for you. Could you stand the disappointment of not being accepted? You patted your cheeks and closed your eyes.

Don't ruin your good vibes (Your Name),” you placed your hand together, repeating your confidence ritual, “Rub for good luck, rub for good thoughts, rub for good karma.” you pressed the mouse harshly, reveling your inbox to you. A couple of spam messages along with some sales in some of your favorite stores, however only one was important to you.

(H.S.N): Miss (Full Name)

There it was, the email form the high school you applied at. You in a breath as your mouse hovered over the email. You stared at the screen as sweat appeared on your brow. You clicked on the email and quickly covered you eyes. Slowly, you brought your hand down, every inch stripping at your confidence as your eyes were able to view the lit screen.

 

Miss (Full Name),

 

Thank you for applying at (High School Name) public high school as a English teacher . We will like to inform you that we looked over your application carefully and diligently. Since even though we are a public school, we do only accept the best teachers to teach at our school. We would like to inform you that we believe that you will contribute greatly to our school. We have accepted your application. Congratulations!

I will send another email containing additional information.

Lee Min Soo

 

 

You stared at the screen. Re rereading the screen again and again. Your hands that rested at the bottom of your eyes have started south to your jaw line.

I... I'm hired,” you whispered. You felt tears building, “I got hired! OH MY GOD I GOT HIRED!

You hop from your desk chair and started jumping up and down, exclaiming to the world the name of the high school you'll start working at. You hugged your computer screen, kissing the top before stepping back to look outside your apartment window.

You're the new English teacher at (High School) Public School in South Korea.

You cried.

 

 

 

You were to arrive in S. Korea one month before the new school year started. You quickly bough your plane tickets, packed your bags and re studied all of your notes you took in college. You smiled holding your face. You worked so hard and you got exactly where you wanted to be. You sighed happily falling back onto your bed with a soft smile.

South Korea huh?” you giggled to yourself “I wonder how my classes is going to be? I wonder how my students will act. I bet they'll all be cute and adorable dorks.” closing your hazel eyes you hummed a soft tone as your body relaxed into your comforter.

 

You got all your clothes?”

Yes I do.”

Your pass port and worker permit is all set up?”

Yup.”

Plane ticket?”

All settled.”

Trashae hugged you tightly as you stood in front of the LAX airport. You pulled away smiling at her. Trashae patted your face.

Go teach 'em with your little white girl booty, (Your name)!” she joked, patting your cheeks. You stuck your tongue out.

I will.

Now, don't forget to email me. Also, if any Asian messes with you, let me know. Don't think I won't fly over there to beat up a rice cake.

I will, and don't worry,” You smiled pulling her hands off your face, “I'll miss you.”

I'll miss you too.” Trashae pulled you in for another tight hug before you let you go. She smiled before slapping your . “Now get going before I kidnap you.” You laughed as you grabbed your bags.

I'll make sure to visit. Bye Shae.” You gave her one last hug before heading inside the airport for the longest plane ride you'll ever have to go through.

 

“We'll be landing in Seoul South Korea. It's approximately 8:30 am. You'll collect your bags at claim 5. Thank you for flying with us. Have a nice day.” The Korean flight attended smiled at the passengers as the man spoke over the microphone. Luckily, you snagged the window seat and was able to look outside your window to see the mystic view of South Korea. The buildings glimmered in the sun as a very light fog decorated the sky line. You awed at the sight. You only visited Korea in your dreams, now your about to set foot on the soil. You could cry. You won't though, it'll be a little awkward for the passengers around you.

 

You plane landed safely but unloaded slower than you have standed. Wither it be your excitement or jet lag, you wanted everyone to hurry off the plane. You breathed in the air of the air port as you clutched your back pack straps.

The smell for South Korea.

You smiled to yourself as you followed the crowd that rode the airplane with you. Once you got to the lobby you saw a sign with your name on it, with a equally excited call and hand wave.

“(Your name) ah!”

You broke into a wide smiled, your jet lag fading at a familiar face.

“Unnie!”

In front of you stood the picture perfect Korean woman. Long black hair, large doe eyes, white skin, thin, tall, oval shaped beauty named Park Hana. She opened her arms to embrace you with a hug. She rocked you both back and forth before slightly pulling back to study you.

“Daebak. You've gotten a little taller. And looks like you got bigger too. Aigoo, our (Your name) sure has grown.” Hana smiled pinching your cheeks. You whined a bit before she let go.

“Unnie, I’m not a kid anymore.” You smiled rubbing your cheek. Hana smiled.

“I know, you're a great big teacher now. C'mon, umma is waiting, she bought some A+ meat for us.” Hana said linking arms with you, heading toward the baggage claim. You smiled.

“Oh, that sounds amazing.” you sighed

 

 

“Aigoo! Is this the same little snot nose (Your Name) ah?” A older woman pinched your cheeks. The moment you stepped into the little apartment Mrs, Park about tackled you. You didn't mind though, you adored this woman to bits.

“Hello, Mrs. Park.” you smiled, trying to bow in her death grip. Mrs, Park spouted her lip.

“Aniyo, it's 'Umma Park' to you.” she smiled rubbing her palms against cheek. You shyly smiled as you nodded.

“Ok, Umma Park.” you said. Mrs. Park brought you into a hug and gave a soft sigh.

“We're happy you're here, (Your Name) ah.” she said softly. You smiled just as soft.

“Me too.”

“Enough with the hugs, Umma whats to eat?” Hana called from behind you. Mrs. Park pulled away.

“Yah, can't you see we are catching up?” she pointed her finger at her daughter, who in returned held her hands up in defence.

Sorry, Sorry,” she looked up at the clock, “when is oppa coming?”

“SeokJin should be here around noon.” Mrs. Park said looking at the clock. You turned to look at Hana.

“Where should I put my bags?” You asked. Hana smiled.

“In your room of course!” she said grabbing one of your suitcases “Follow me!” you laughed following her to the end of the hall while Mrs. Park when back into the kitchen. Hana looked behind you before winking at you. “After umma goes home, you totally are going to have to drink with me.” you just laughed

 

 

 

You stood in front of the gates of (HS). You stared in aw as the building engulfed your sight. It was so big, and quite. You softly smiled. All the students were on break at the moment so the school was empty.

“ Mrs, (Your name)?” you slightly jumped at your name. You turned to meet a slim woman who only looked a little more over five years older than you. Shyly, you smiled back. You bowed.

“Hello.” the woman smiled.

“Welcome to (HS), my name is Seo Min ah. Please follow me. The staff is waiting for you.” she mentioned her arm toward the school before walking. You bowed again before following her.

 

You kept admiring the school. It was much bigger than you though it would have been. Than again, you're not sure how big you imagined it too be.

This is really a amazing school.” you whispered under your breath. You didn't realize Miss. Seo heard you as she smiled at your comment.

“Yes, even though its a public school, we are recognized for our out standing academics. But I bet you know all of that.” she said, surprising you. You nodded in surprise.

“Yeah, I heard all about the high success rate.” you awkwardly smiled. Miss Seo smiled.

“I think your really amazing. I heard you're only twenty two.” she said. You rubbed your arm.

“Oh? Ah, yes, yes I am.”

“You're Korean is also really amazing as well.”

“Thank you.” You bowed. Miss. Seo smiled.

“Your manners is daebak too.” she patted your back. “If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.” you smile and bowed again.

“I will, thank you.” Miss Seo smiled as she stopped in front of a door.

“This is the chair mans office.” She knocked on the door as you held your breath. At the end of the room sat a elder gentleman, probably about sixty, with thinning white hair and wrinkles that tell the story of his long life. The man looked up and grinned.

“Ah, (Full Name) sunbaenim.” he spoke, loud and raspy. You bowed.

“Hello chair man nim.” you said in your bent position. He nodded.

“I'm Lee Min Soo, the chair man of (HS), please take a seat.” Chair man Lee said, motioning towards the leather couches in the pale green room. Miss, Seo and you bowed and took a seat on the couch. Chair Man. Lee sat in the chair that stood at the head of the coffee table. There laid a file with your name on it with its documents open, and another un open file “Yah, I heard many great things about you (Full name). I'm honored you decided to pick our school.” he said. You bowed to him.

“I'm honored you considered me, Chair man nim.” you spoke carefully. Being in a serious setting was really awkward for you, who was partying a couple nights ago. Chair man Lee nodded.

“Of course. With your record and recommendations, you could of gotten hired anywhere.” he chuckled opening the folder on his desk. “When our very own Lee sunbaenim retired. We were very worried we wouldn't find a good replacement. However, when your application came in we were very thrilled to have such talent join our senior line up.” Senior? You smiled awkwardly before speaking up.

“Senior line up?” you asked. Chair Man nodded.

“Yes, Lee Sunbaenim was a senior English teacher,” oh , I’m teaching SENIORS?! “,since you'll be replacing him, you'll join the senior teacher team. I think having a young accomplished teacher might motivate the kids more. Don't you think?” you smiled at the chair man.

“I also believe you'll be able to connect with the classes faster as well.” Miss. Seo smiled. You looked over at her. “Plus, foreign teachers is the trend. You'll add a great mix to the team.”

“Agreed.” Chair man lee smiled. He then opened up the other folder. “This is the contract for you to sign. Read it over carefully. We have it in both Korean and English so you fully understand the terms. Afterwords, we'll give you our goals of the year and what curriculum is for this year.” he then placed a pen from his jacket next to the contract. You read the terms carefully as you rubbed your hands together.

 

 

“I bet you feel lighter now.” Miss Seo said as you both left the chair man's office. You smiled.

“I feel heavier now actually.” You said holding your files close to your chest. “I hope I do well.”

“I felt the same way when I started working here three years ago.” Miss Seo smiled. “I was twenty six at the time.”

“Twenty six? That's amazing.”

“Twenty six is the normal starting age here. Your four years younger than that. Your more amazing I think.” Seo patted your shoulder, “Shall we meet the rest of the staff?” you nodded slowly.

“Y-yes.” I slipped up! Seo chuckled.

“Shall we get you water first?”

“No thank you. I'll do my best.” you said holding one hand up. Seo smiled before leading your down the hall toward the teachers room.

 

Luckily, Miss Seo was also part of the senior line up. She taught history and was the youngest before you showed up. The line up for the senior classes were nice to you for the most part, though you could tell they looked down on you. Age was one thing, but you knew it was also the fact you were white and not Korean. You were prepared for that anyway, all you had to do was work harder and prove to them that you deserve respect. Miss Seo showed you to your desk that was originally Mr. Lee's. You were allowed to decorate your area with whatever you liked, as long ad it wasn't to crowded. Luckily, you desk was next to Miss Seo's, so you were happy about that.

You started working on your assignments for your classes. The books they'll need and the level they should be when the graduated. You also got to know the level of English the students are coming into as. Miss Seo, bless her soul, helped with your curriculum planing.

Did I mention you got a homeroom class?

That part shocked you the most. You didn't think you'd get a homeroom class, but since you replaced Mr. Lee, you took everything that was his. His desk, his topic, and his class room.

Class room 3-B.

You stood in front of the door way looking at the empty class room as butterfly teased you stomach. You're now a teacher. This is your class room. Soon, these desk will be filled with students.

Your students.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

New story! Ill update soon! Xoxo