A Wish

Let Her In

Tiffany pressed the button on her Iphone and the screen quickly enlighted, showing the time. 4:50 pm. She sighed annoyed.

 

That was one of the things she hated about South Korea.

 

Sure the edcational system was better than America's, actually, it was one of the best of the whole world, but the time students had to stay at school was borderline insane. The classes started at 8:30 am and only finished at 7:00 pm. Not to mention, she had classes on saturdays the whole freaking morning. It was stressful, exhausting and hateful.

 

She had to stay there in that ing place for almost three hours more. All she wanted to do was leave that place and meet Taeyeon.

 

She was counting the time till 11:30. It was the time she and Taeyeon were supposed to meet. The feeling of meeting the girl in the end of the day was what made Tiffany endure it. The feeling that she would see Taeyeon one more time, that she would see her dimple one more time, was consuming her inside out.

 

The teacher was saying something about Joseon's dynasty but Tiffany was not pay attention to it. Her right hand was doodling Taeyeon's name in korean on the notebook. She had written the name over and over again, the ink thickening the letters 태연as her smile was wide as possible.

 

At 5pm, the ring bell one more time for the last break of the day. Leaving the classroom, Tiffany had a timid smile.

 

The smile soon was cut short when her body was, suddenly, shoved to the lockets. Her books fell on the floor and her arms were hurt by the impact. Giggles around her made her look down and bite her lower lip, trying to suppress the tears.

 

“Ow, are you going to cry?” One of the girls mocked, it was Jung Hyung, the queen bee of that place. Tiffany clenched her teeth and fists. “You know, hafu, today is my birthday and I kinda wish for my gift”.

 

“ off!”

 

“Uuhh, the is demanding.” One of other girls spoke. The word came in english and Tiffany felt her blood boils in anger. The girl had dyed blonde white hair and often tried to slur english words just to try showing how cool she was. Tiffany hated it. Her name was Lee Jungyu, the maknae of the bully group. It was quite ironic that though she was the youngest, she didn't quite behave like one.

 

Tiffany still held her head down. “Why don't you hurt them back?” Taeyeon's voice was suddenly there. Her fists close together as her breathing became heavier. She wanted to hurt them back. She wanted to beat the crap out of those girls till their teeth was gone out of their mouths. However, Tiffany knew she would be much more in trouble if she did that. Hyung's family was very powerful and the girl being the Jung's only heir made her untouchable.

 

And Jung wasn't the only problem. All the other bullies who followed her also had prestige.

 

Tiffany couldn't hurt any of them.

 

If she hurt them, they wouldn't really stop.

 

They would just....hurt her even more.

 

“Just...go away. Leave me alone.” Tiffany asked with her voice low. She didn't want any trouble. She just wanted to school end, go home, take a shower, and meet Taeyeon at 11:30. “Please, don't hurt me.”

 

“Wow, half half , huh?” Lee Jungyu snorted out.

 

“You know, hafu, I kinda am feeling extremely kind... So I'm going to comply. I'm not gonna hurt you...” The leader said with a grin. “Much.” And Tiffany grimaced in pain when the girl hit the side of her head on the lockets. “See you later, american girl.” She laughed and waved a farewell. The other three girls followed her giggling.

 

Tears were no longer suppressed and they easily fell from her eyes. She raised her right hand and gently touched her head, feeling the pain get stronger and her fingertips touching blood. Using the sleeves of her own uniform, Tiffany wiped out the tears.

 

Everything is gonna be alright, Tiffany. You are alive. And it's all that matters.”

 

Raising up, she grabbed her stuff and went to the school infirmary.

 

* * *

 

11:27. Anytime soon.

 

Anytime soon the barefooted girl would show up making everything she endured that day worthy.

 

11:28. Tiffany was smiling wide. The Mickey Mouse blanket keeping her warm and excited.

 

11:29. Her heart was pumping blood as fast as it could. She hadn't ran, nor she was scared. She was just glad.

 

11:30. She closed her eyes, waiting for it.

 

“Hello again, Tiffany Hwang.”

 

Tiffany turned herself around and saw the short figure ahead of the emergency exit door. Her arms were behind her back and she curled her toes a little. Tiffany smiled.

 

“You don't need to call me by my family name al the time. Call me Tiffany. Just Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon complied, nodding her head. “Okay... Tiffany.” Tiffany smiled wide when hearing the name. Taeyeon's pronounciation was a bit off, leading her to say Tippany instead. It was quite adorable, Tiffany thought to herself.

 

“What happened?” Taeyeon asked suddenly. Tiffany wasn't really sure of what she was talking about. “You..huh...you are hurt.” And then Taeyeon raised her fingers, pointing to her head in the same spot Tiffany's got hurt earlier. “Here.”

 

Tiffany looked down remembering what happened at school that day. “School happened. One of the girls...”

 

“You said they don't hurt you physically.”

 

“And they usually don't. But today was Jung Hyung's birthday and she wanted to have some fun I guess.”

 

“She hit you.”

 

“She won't do it again.” Well at least was what Tiffany hoped for.

 

“Are you sure?” Taeyeon asked not really convinced. One of the things she learned in her lifetime was that stronger beings always preyed on the weaker ones. And she knew Tiffany Hwang was the weakling there. If the human doesn't step up, the other girls would easily hunt her fiercely and the injuries will probably get worse.

 

“Yeah.” She shrugged off. “It was because today was her birthday, that's all. She's all mocking about having her birthday gift and .” Her eyes looked up and she tried to smile confidently. “Huh, speaking of which, when is your birthday?” She changed the subject. It would be good to know Taeyeon's birthday, else if it's close by, she would have to buy her friend a gift.

 

Taeyeon blinked her eyes, silent. Then she looked down, as if the ground itself would give her the answer she needed.

 

“Taeyeon? What's wrong?”

 

“My birth-day?” Her voice was barely audible. Tiffany had to come closer to actually hear it.

 

“Yes, when is it?”

 

Taeyeon still was silent. Tiffany blinked unsure what to do or what to say. Her eyes quickly scanned the building's roof they were at trying to find words that could lead the girl to answer it. “Huh...Is your birthday on the way?”

 

“I-” Tiffany stepped even closer to manage hearing her. “I...I don't know.” She finally muttered.

 

Tiffany frowned her brows. “What do you mean you don't know? Everyone knows their birthday...I for instance was born on August 1st.”

 

Taeyeon blinked her eyes trying to remember but it was worthless. “I don't know.”

 

“How old are you?” Tiffany asked thinking how odd was that Taeyeon had no clue about when was her birthday. She noticed Taeyeon biting her inner cheeks.

 

“I- I don't remember.”

 

“This is ridiculous! Check your birthdate on your ID and that's it.”

 

“ID?” Taeyeon lifted her head to the left not really following the human.

“Your documents.”

 

“I don't have it.”

 

Tiffany's eyes enlarged for a second. “You don't have documents? Taeyeon, this is impossible! Every single citizen has an ID!”

 

Taeyeon twisted her lips and raised her shoulders.She was feeling a bit uneasy with that conversation and she knew the human was finding it weird how she didn't know those basic information about herself. But the truth was that she really couldn't remember anything at all. Everything from her human lifetime was gone. Age, blood type, zodiac sign, parents, friends, favourite food, she couldn't remember those things at all. All her memories are from her being the ungodly creature that she already was.

 

“What about your birth certificate?” Tiffany asked curiously. “You must have it from the hospital you were born at.”

 

“I wasn't born at a hospital.”

 

“Huh...What about you parents?”

 

“I don't have any parents.”

 

“Well, you must've had at some point.” Tiffany tried to argue.

 

“I don't think I ever met them.” Taeyeon had no memory of who were her parents, or how they even look like. The only person she remembers being part of her life is her sire. Her sire is easily someone who she could call a parent and even respects as one, but she knew her true parents weren't creatures like her. Though she didn't remember them, she knew her true parents were humans. They were humans like Tiffany, and just like Tiffany, they could cry, they could enjoy the sun on a sunday morning and they celebrated their birthdates. Taeyeon wondered how it feels like.

 

“Are you a homeless?” Tiffany asked surprised. It was the only explanation she could think of as why Taeyeon has no documents whatsoever. If she lived in the streets, with no parents and no documents since she was a child, it makes sense why she doesn't really know her birthday.

 

“In a way.” Taeyeon answered shyly.

 

Upon hearing the confirmation, Tiffany didn't know what to say. It was the first time she had met someone like Taeyeon. The poor girl grew up in the streets, with no parents and place to call home. She's never had a birthday party.

 

“T-Taeyeon...” Tiffany sighed sadly.

 

“I should be going.” Taeyeon quickly added.

 

“What? Why?” Tiffany felt her heart shrink as she heard those words. She didn't want her to leave.

 

Taeyeon looked away. She was basically giving information of what she truly was. Once again, she was taking the risk to be unveiled. And being unveiled is the worst crime she could commit. It was totally against the supremacy laws. She had to step back from the human. “I-I'm sorry, Tiffany...I told you before...we can't be friends.”

 

“So what gives you don't know your birthday, right? That's not so bad.” Tiffany reinforced a bit recklessly. The idea of never seeing Taeyeon again was crushing her soul. She can't lose her. If she does, Tiffany would be all alone...Again. “If you don't know your birthday, that just means you can pick your own birthday!”

 

Taeyeon raised her brows confused. “Pick my own birthday?”

 

“Yeah! Like all you have to do is pick any date and celebrate every year...that's kinda a birthday.” She raised her shoulders feeling a bit silly for what she said. She just wanted to make Taeyeon stay longer. She just wanted the girl to be a friend of hers. Why was that so difficult?

 

“Like today?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“No, not today!” She quickly dismissed. “Today's Jung Hyung's birthday. I don't want you to share the same birthday as that bully.” Taeyeon just blinked her eyes. “Tomorrow!” Tiffany rushed to say, widening her eyes a little.

 

She was eager for Taeyeon's yes. It meant they could meet for another day. Meeting Taeyeon has became Tiffany's most favourite thing in the entire world.

 

Taeyeon was taken aback by the idea of having a birthday celebration with that human. She didn't quite understand why the girl was so attached to her. She got used to be alone throughout all those years and suddenly having someone so eager to see her was surprising, scary even. If that girl knew what Taeyeon reall was, she would never say those things. She would only run away.

 

“You need to have a birthday party, Taeyeon!”

 

“I don't think -...”

 

“C'mon it will be fun!” Tiffany rushed to say interrupting her.

 

Taeyeon looked at the girls face and saw her eyes sparkle. They were certainly different from the first day they met. Back in that day, Tiffany's eyes were blank and lifeless, convinced that death would bring peace to her tormentous life. Now, her eyes were bright and the brownish color was so vivid, it made them look like honey. There was a short smile on Taeyeon's face upon realizing that. That girl, that weakling human who went by the name Tiffany Hwang, was safe.

 

Feeling a bit anxious, Taeyeon nodded her head. “Okay. Tomorrow then.” Upon hearing that, Tiffany showed her eyesmile and Taeyeon caught herself smiling as well.

 

“You should do that more often too.” Tiffany said after seeing the dimple on her cheeks one more time. How Taeyeon, though wearing a rather gothic attire, could be lively and adorable was beyond her.

 

Taeyeon's large eyes looked down and she placed her hands in her pockets feeling a little embarassed. That only made Tiffany's smile get bigger. Still looking down, Taeyeon's lips twisted upwards, muffling a grin.

 

“Would you like me to walk you home again?” Taeyeon asked raising her eyes towards Tiffany.

 

“I would love to.” She answered back, eyesmiling.

 

* * *

 

“Come in.” Tiffany stated as soon as she opened the door of her flat.

 

Taeyeon, once again, by stepping front, she felt her toes get warm. As her left foot got inside, the warmth she felt in her toes spreaded out for all her body. She closed her eyes. That feeling was...everything.

 

Was that the feeling of being alive?

 

It was so good and powerful. She wished she had that feeling inside at all times.

 

“Are you alright?” Tiffany asked curiously as she saw the girl inactive by the door she just entered.

 

“Yes.” Taeyeon replied.

 

“So...you wanna watch a movie or something?” Tiffany proposed raising her shoulders. Taeyeon smiled shyly. She loved movies. Cinema was one of the things she adored from the humans.

 

“Okay.” She nodded.

 

Tiffany turned the tv on and pointed to the counch in the middle of the living room before going to somewhere else. Taeyeon let herself walked further and sat on the counch, albeit a little bit uncomfortable. Her legs started to move back and forth. Her eyes were at the tv, but the feeling inside was making her not really focus on whatever was broadcasting. Why was she feeling that? How was it even possible?

 

She saw Tiffany dressed in a pink hello kitty pajamas and she grinned hard showing her dimples one more time.

 

“What? I like pink.” Tiffany defended herself leaving a couple laughters fill the room.

 

“It suits you.” Taeyeon seconded.

 

Tiffany sat just next to Taeyeon and quickly used the remote, changing the channels in order to find a good movie. “What kind of movies do you like?” She asked.

 

“Musicals.”

 

“Oh, yeah, like Mary Poppins, right?” Tiffany remembered the talk they shared the first day they met.

 

“I like music and I like movies. So musicals are the two combined into one.”

 

“It makes sense. What's your favourite musical?”

 

“I don't think I have a favourite.” She answered after a while.

 

“Have you ever been to a musical before?” Tiffany lifted her head curiously. Taeyeon shook her head.

 

“I watch on TV.”

 

“But if you're homeless, how can you have a TV?”

 

“I don't have a TV. Some stores across the city has big televisions, with really large screens, they are so huge I think they could fit your wall.” Tiffany giggled at that. “When I spot one of those, I stand there and watch. Sometimes I can't watch the whole movie though, the salesperson comes in and ask me to leave.” Tiffany smile died away feeling a little sad for Taeyeon.

 

“That's kinda rude.”

 

“It's okay. I don't get angry. They are just doing what they're told to. It's their job.”

 

“You are amazing.” Tiffany couldn't resist saying it. Taeyeon looked at Tiffany and blinked innocently. “You are the most amazing person I've ever met.”

 

No, she was not. Taeyeon lowered her head. Tiffany was just saying that because she didn't have any idea of what Taeyeon really was, what she had to do in order to “live”. Amazing people don't blood from livings.

 

“Oh, look, it's Legally Blond!” Tiffany said suddenly. Taeyeon raised her head and looked at the screen. She remember Tiffany saying that was her favourite movie. When she saw the girl wearing pink she smiled as reminded her of Tiffany herself. “You gonna love this movie.” And she turned the volume up.

 

Taeyeon's eyes got bigger as she felt Tiffany's hand over hers. Yet she didn't do nothing. Her hand still stood there, under Tiffany's. Her thumb gently started to caress Tiffany'd hand. After a couple of minutes she felt the grip loosen and she turned her head, looking towards Tiffany. The girl had her eyes shut and the head was leaned back at the sofa, as her breathing was constant and relaxed. She was sleeping.

 

The beating sound of Tiffany's heart made Taeyeon smile.

 

The sound of human hearts beating was her favourite sound of the entire world.

 

It was powerful and beautiful.

 

It was the most beautiful sound ever.

 

Taeyeon used the remote to turn the tv off once the movie was finished and got up from the couch. Whispering good night to the human ahead, she walked to the window, opened it, looked back one last time, and jumped, never getting hurt as she touched the ground. On a quick pace, she ran back home.

 

A cold breeze made Tiffany groan till she finally woke up, blinking her tired eyes. She realized she just slept on the living room. Taeyeon was nowehere to be seen and Tiffany cursed herself. How could she sleep when she had Taeyeon there by her side? That was so rude of hers.

 

She frowned when she saw the window of the room opened. She didn't really remember leaving it like that. Not thinking to much about it, she quickly closed it and got back to her room.

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

When the night came, Tiffany felt her heart beating fast at thrill. Once again, she couldn't wait to see Taeyeon.

 

She was aware that the feeling was becoming stronger each day. Tiffany herself doesn't even know why, but just by hearing her name alone was able to make her heart flutters. There's a guy at school named Taeyang and sometimes she misheards it as Taeyeon's and done, her mind is soon occupied by the girl's figure. A silly smile is then brought up anf all Tiffany could think is Taeyeon.

 

How Taeyeon was so different from everyone she's ever met.

 

How Taeyeon was so adorable and cute.

 

Tiffany wanted to make Taeyeon as happy as she makes her. So, that night being Taeyeon's birthday pick, Tiffany went to the Central Theater and bought two tickets for a musical. However, the last performance of the day ended at 11 pm. So, she decided to buy the tickets for the next day and hoped that their meeting could be a little earlier than usual. It was also a good excuse to see Taeyeon one more time.

 

As the clock was reaching to 11:30, Tiffany was trying to calm her nerves. Her hands holding the cake tight in place so it wouldn't fall. There was one pink candle alighted on top of it.

 

Her cellphone buzzed inside her pockets, warning her of the time. Her smile became a grin as the feeling of antecipation was consuming her soul.

 

“Hello again, Tiffany.” She heard the voice say.

 

When she turned around smiling wide as ever, Taeyeon's eyes enlarged by the surprise. “Happy birthday, Taeyeon!” Tiffany stretched her arms forward, offering the cake.

 

Taeyeon stepped backward, feeling completely uncomfortable. Tiffany only got closer. “C'mon, you have to blow out the candle.”

 

“I-”

 

“And make a wish.”

 

As Tiffany got even closer, Taeyeon looked at the floor. The cake was there, right in front of her, but Taeyeon couldn't eat it. The heat of the flame started to warm her face. It was so good. It was similar to the feeling she had when entering Tiffany's house. It was warm, comfortable and addictive. She wanted that little flame to last forever.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“Do I really need to blow it out? I really like this way.”

 

“Well you don't really wanna melted wax on your cake.”

 

Taeyeon took the candle out of the cake and smiled as she lifted it even closer to her face. Her eyes had a bright sparkle, finding joy in looking something so small yet so powerful.

“Won't you make a wish?” Tiffany asked curiously.

 

“Not if I have to blow it out.” That made Tiffany frown her brows confused. Feeling a bit tired by the amount of time her arms were streched out, she kneeled on the floor and place the cake there cautiously.

 

“I didn't know what flavour you liked, so I made chocolate. It's usually everyone's favourite.” Taeyeon's eyes quickly looked away from the flame and looked at Tiffany.

 

“You made the cake?”

 

Tiffany smiled. “Yeah, I learned to bake a cake at school. We have cooking classes so it wasn't really difficult. Especially chocolate, it's kinda easy.” She shrugged her shoulders, having a piece of it.

 

Taeyeon clenched her teeth together. She was feeling miserable. That girl made a cake herself for her yet Taeyeon couldn't eat it. Why? Why she had to be so cursed like that? Taeyeon felt her eyes burn harder. 

 

“I also brought some bagels, you like bagels right? I didn't make them though. Had to buy in a dough shop, it's quite popular, people usually say it's one of the best in tow-”

 

Taeyeon's hands grabbed a slice of the cake and led it to . She didn't care she would throw up later. She had to eat that cake. The girl spent the day trying to make that party happen. Taeyeon couldn't just step back. She would make Tiffany feel proud.

 The texture of the food made her tonge twist in disgust. “It tastes good.” She said munching the food the fastest she could. “It tastes r-really g-good.”

 

“T-taeyeon?” Tiffany frowned her brows as Taeyeon's eyes shut down and her muscles tensed.

 

“It's delicious.” She tried to smile but only made it look worse. Tiffany felt her heart race as Taeyeon seemed to be choking.

 

“T-taeyeon?”

 

Taeyeon shook her hands trying to say everything was alright. And using all the strenght she could, Taeyeon swallowed the cake. “It's the best cake ever. Thank you, Tiffany.” Her eyes opened wide as the food made her stomach sick. The urge of puking was getting stronger. Taeyeon clenched her teeth not wanting to vomit.

 

“Taeyeon what's wrong?”

 

She crawled away from Tiffany, all of her muscles tensed as they repulsed the food. Not really managing to control those actions, Taeyeon finally gave in, and she puked.

 

Tiffany gulped as she saw the girl puking. Feeling a little uncomfortable she got closer to Taeyeon, her hand over her back trying to comfort her. “Do you have food alergy? Like that one you can't eat gluten?” She asked worriedly. Taeyeon didn't answer. “I'm sorry, I've should asked you before. What was I thinking?”

 

“Go away, Tiffany.” Something in Taeyeon's voice made Tiffany feel a little scared. But she didn't want to leave. Not yet.

 

“I won't leave you now. You know what you need? Water.”

 

“Go away!” She said it over, this time louder.

 

Tiffany saw a little pool of dark blood around the vomit. “Taeyeon...I think you need to see a doctor.”

 

“GET THE OUT OF HERE!” Taeyeon shouted startling Tiffany.

 

Tiffany's eyes enlarged as she saw Taeyeon's pupils redden; her nose cringed as a thin line of blood was running down on the left side of . And just seconds after Taeyeon her lips with her tongue, Tiffany managed to see the sharp teeth coming out from her gums.

 

Tiffany felt her own stomach get sick and tears came out from her eyes.

 

Taeyeon hissed at her making Tiffany whimp in fear.

 

With no more words, Tiffany saw Taeyeon jump away from the roof to the next building. The speed and height being completely inhuman. As Taeyeon disappeared in the middle of the night, Tiffany looked down, bursting out crying.

 

It was over. She had lost Taeyeon. 

She was all alone.

Once again.

Still crying she looked away, resting her gaze at the cake she made. Stupid cake! Furiously, Tiffany stepped at cake, smashing the pie under her feet. If she hadn't baked it, Taeyeon would still be with her. They would still be friends. They would meet again the next day and see a musical play!

 

Tiffany's eyes got bigger as she noticed a small chunk of candle on the floor. The flame, though small, still burning there.

 

Tiffany picked it up and closing her eyes, she blew it out, not before whispering:

 

“Please, come back.”