Live

Let Her In
 

It was easy, extremely easy.

 

All she needed to do was to jump and wait for it.

 

No one would really care if she did.

 

She didn't have any friends.

 

Her father cared less about her.

He had became an alcoholic after her mother passed away and ever since then aguements and fights were common between Tiffany and her own father. In order to stop it the old man have sent her to study in South Korea.

 

South Korea was a great country, her father told her.

 

South Korea will teach you discipline, he said.

 

Tiffany never felt so alone in her life.

 

Being an american is not really easy in South Korea. Though she was half-korean for her father side, she was still seen as an immigrant. Just an “overseas hafu” as they call. Someone who would never be fully integrated into that society.

 

Her koran wasn't so good and everyone at school bullied her for that. The way she pronounced the “oo, u and yu” wasn't right most of times and people mocked her for that. Her grades weren't good either and the teachers have told her that she would never get into university. Going to university was her main goal. If she didn't go, she was no one. No one worthy. Just a burden for society.

 

She was lonely. And being lonely as she was, no one would care if she died. There was no one to care.

 

She closed her eyes and her heart beat furiously inside her chest. Amazing how it seemed to know what she was about to do. Amazing how it was trying to keep her alive even if she didn't want to.

 

One step. That's all she needed to do. One step and wait for the fall.

 

Suddenly, she felt shivers down her spine. The hair on her neck got up as, somehow, it sensed something was there, nearby.

 

Tiffany turned around but no one was there.

 

Maybe her mind was playing tricks. Maybe it was trying to make her hold it a little longer. 17 years old is an young age and most of people would live until 80's. Why die now?

 

She didn't want to live like that until 80's.

 

She wanted to end it. Right there.

 

She took a deep breath and her lungs burnt with oxygen.

 

She started to feel anxious and afraid. Really afraid. Her heart was beating viciously asking her to leave and go home.

 

No. She wouldn't go home.

 

She would meet the floor beneath her.

 

She was ready for it.

 

No one would mock her korean anymore.

 

No one would bully her anymore.

 

She would jump and finally be in piece.

 

1..

2...

3...

 

“Hello.” Said an unknown voice nearby.

 

Tiffany opened her eyes in shock by how someone was suddenly there with her. She could bet her life there was no one when she turned around a few seconds ago.

 

Right beside her, there was a short pale girl. Her hair, long and black, was blowing gently with the breeze of the night and the moonlight somehow seemed to make her skin color be even paler.

 

The girl was standing just next to her, over the edge of the building, and Tiffany caught her profile as her eyes were looking downwards. “Wow, it's a big fall.” She stated blinking her eyes innocently, still staring at the fall. Tiffany noticed some piercings around her left ear.

 

“Who are you?” Tiffany asked bluntly bothered by the presence of the random stranger.

 

“My name is Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon.” She introduced herself with a gentle voice. “What's yours?” And the girl turned her face towards Tiffany. Her eyes were big and dusky brown. At that time of the night it appeared to be completely black but Tiffany could peek the dark goldish color when one of the luminous advertisement from the building across them flashed over her face.

 

“Tiffany. Hwang.” It took her a couple of seconds to respond. She was still trying to convey how come that girl got there so swiftly.

 

“Nice to meet you, Tiffany.” She bowed politely. When she did it, Tiffany noticed the girl's attire consisted only for a black jacket, a tee and jeans. They were not in the middle of the winter yet but nonetheless the nights in Seoul could get cold as ice. Yet, that girl was using basic casual clothing...

 

“Y-you are not cold?”

 

“No.”

 

“How?”

 

“I'm used to it.” She replied with a smile.

 

Tiffany didn't smile back. She didn't want the girl there. She wanted to be alone. “What are you doing here?” Her voice came more raspid than she intended to.The girl didn't feel upset however.

 

“I'm always around here.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes. It's a tall building and there's lots of people like you that come here.”

 

“People like me?”

 

Suicidals.” Tiffany gulped as her heart skipped a beat again. She didn't like how it seemed to be a label for everything in that ing place. Now she wasn't only an oversea hafu, she was a suicidal oversea hafu. How many labels would she get throughout her life? “They are often young as well. Students, unemployeds. People who can't fit in.”

 

“Are you a suicidal as well?” Was that reason why she is there? Did that girl also come to that building to end her life?

 

“No. I can't be one.” Her voice came lower, as if she was sad about it. But it's really a good place.” Her tone now changed to a glad one. “I can see the fireworks of the summerfestivals from here. I really like fireworks.” And she smiled again.

 

“Do you live here?” She asked curiously.

 

“Not really.”

 

“So why do you stick around?”

 

“Give some company.”

 

“Company?”

 

“Most of suicidals feel lonely and all of 'em are desperate. So I come here.”

 

“So you could try to stop them? Don't you dare! I made up my mind! And nothing you say will...”

 

“I'm not gonna stop you.” She quickly interrupted her. Tiffany stood silent as the girl placed her hands inside the pockets of her jeans. “I don't try to stop anyone. I understand. I just listen...and talk to them.”

 

“I don't want to talk.”

 

“So I'll be here in silent then.” The girl quickly got quiet and raised her head looking at the moon up on the sky. Tiffany did the same, as if there was something there different from the other days that could grab her attention.

 

There was nothing. All there's to it was the dusky starless sky and the gibbous moon.

 

Soon, she felt the silence embracing her; her eyes started to burn as she was trying to hold her tears for her usual turmoil was coming back. Again. It always came back. Her angst and solace never really leave her completely. It's always there. It never goes away.

 

She knew what she had to do to go away.

 

Just... jumping.

 

1... She breathed in again, feeling the lungs expand and the heart pumping blood fiercely.

 

2...Her left foot gave a tiny step forward and the toes felt the emptyness beneath.

 

3...The girl turned her face towards Tiffany.

 

“It is not fair.” Tiffany mumbled suddenly, sad and angry. “I was supposed to have a good life, good friends and a fine job but..everything is going wrong...” Her voice cracked along the way.

 

“Why everything is going wrong?” The girl asked interested.

 

“I don't have any friends here, my school grades are not good either and if can't go to university I will never find a good job. My...Mother d-died...” She pressed the back of her hand on trying to surpress the whine. “My dad...he's been a drunk since then...Why? Why she had to die?”

 

“It is supposed to end.”

 

“What?” Tiffany looked at her confused.

 

“Life. Life is supposed to end. That's good.” The girl said backing her eyes to the moon.

 

“Are you crazy? It's not good! There's nothing good in it. It's terrible... and...it hurts.” Her crying became even stronger and she didn't care of her swollen eyes and runny nose.

 

“It's good. That's what gives it... value.” Tiffany gasped, looking at the girl with skeptical eyes. “When you get to be alive..even for a day...you can go in a taxi, and have ice cream...or a bagel!” And her smile became a grin. “You can go strolling in the park and have a pic-nic in the middle of the summer with your family and friends. That's good.”

 

How could Tiffany have a pic nic if she didn't have friends? How she could have a stroll in the park if her father was in another country, barely caring about her well-being? No. Life .

 

“I don't have friends...and my father doesn't care about me. He would never have a pic-nic with me. My life ing .” More tears came out from her eyes. “It's not fair.”

 

“Have you ever watched Mary Poppins?”

 

“What?” Why that question so suddenly? What that had anything to do with what Tiffany was talking about?

 

“It's a movie.” Taeyeon said gently still having her eyesight at the sky up above. “It's about this super freak nanny who flies in a umbrella. I know, creepy, right? She's kinda a magician. Anyway, she goes in this house where the kids are just regular kids but the father is a jerk who doesn't really look upon his children. So Mary Poppins changes him for the better teaching him the good things in life, you know, flying kites, singing and stuff!”

 

“What this has anything to do with what I told you?”

 

“That you can change it.”

 

“Change what?”

 

“Your life.” Tiffany widened her eyes in sudden realization. “It isn't fair that your life is down like this, I'm sorry to hear. But it isn't unfair either. It just... is. Most of you think that life follows a script, that should be followed in a certain way or it isn't really life. I don't see that way. Life doesn't have any plans. It doesn't follow anything. It just...is. Life is not your school. It is not your university either. They are just a small part of it and most of time they are not as important as you regard them. Because you are alive and you father is alive as well, you still can show your father what is really important. You know, flying kites, ice cream, bagels, singing and stuff.”

 

Tiffany left a deep sigh and more tears came out from her eyes. “My..dad..doesn't like kites..or singing..he wants me to go to a business school.”

 

“You don't wanna go?”

 

“No. I want to go to a Fashion School.”

 

“So why don't you tell him that?”

 

“Because he won't like it. He doesn't care. He only cares for money. And his liquors.”

 

“Still...you can show him what is missing..and change him. Like Mary Poppins!”

 

“Are in' serious? This is not a movie, you know! This is the real life! It isn't sweet and bubbly as you think it is. Just because you have a happy life doesn't mean all of us have it as well!” She angry squawked. She noticed the girl twisted her lips and bite her inner cheeks. “You don't know my father. He is always absent. He was never there for me. Only caring about my perfomance in school. If he finds out about my grades he will be so angry...”

 

“You care about him, that's nice.”

 

She got surprised by that. “What?”

 

“You said your father was a drunk. Yet you try to please him by having good grades so he won't get angry. You care about your father. That's good...” Taeyeon sat on the edge of the building, posing her hands on each side. “I wish I had a father.”

 

Her eyes widened in suddenly shock. “You don't-...You don't have a father?”

 

“I don't have a family.”

 

Tiffany gulped hard feeling a bit shaken by that and even guilty. She had just yelled at the girl, snorting how ridiculously bubbly she was when in fact her life wasn't so happy as Tiffany assumed it was in first place.

 

 

“I think I had one...but now..It's.. just...me.”

 

“I'm sorry.” Tiffany's voice came with sympathy and solidarity.

 

“It's okay. I'm fine. I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.”

 

“What?”

 

“Super-califra-gilistic-expiali-docious. It means awesome, amazing...Peachy keen! It's from the movie. It's not everyone's style, I reckon. Movie is too sweet and cheesy, I feel it gave me diabetes.” Tiffany chuckled slightly.

 

“I thought you liked it.”

 

“Not really, but it has a good message. And Van Dyke's accent is rather cool. Which movie is your favourite?”

 

“Legally blonde.” Tiffany replied after thinking for a while.

 

“What's the story?”

 

“A girl who is pink addicted wants to be a lawyer but everyone keeps telling her that she would never become one. So she's decided to prove everyone wrong. In the end she is the one who is able to gather the pieces and find the culprit of the crime.”

 

“Just like everyone tells you that you won't go to university?”

 

“Kinda.”

 

“So you have some people to prove 'em wrong...”

 

Tiffany smiled shyly. She pictured a scene where she was in the center of a stage being praised by her accomplishments and everyone applausing her. Would that come true? Would anyone praise her?

 

“You think I could do that?” Tiffany asked timidly. “You really think I can prove 'em wrong?”

 

“I think you can do anything.”

 

Her eyes enlarged surprised by the statement. She looked at the girl beside her again and noticed she was relaxed, swaying her legs back and forth seeming to have a little fun with it. “Why?” Tiffany asked incredulous.

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why do you think I can do anything?”

 

“Because you are alive! It's a big thing. It's sad that it ends but that's exactly what make it so big. It's what makes it worthy... and precious.” Tiffany closed her eyes, hearing the sound of the drums from her own heartbeat. “No matter how bad life is one good day is all you need. One good day is enough to have hope for a lifetime. You shouldn't discard life. Life is full of possibilities. Being alive... is rather... underrated.”

 

A silent tear ran from her right eye.

 

“You said you don't try to stop anyone.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“So why you are trying to stop me?”

 

“I'm not trying to stop you. The choice of jumping is and always will be entirely yours regardless of what I babble about.”

 

Tiffany breathed out again. Opening her eyes, she could spy the girl's feet shoeless.

 

“Where are your shoes?” She couldn't find weird how that girl was barefoot when it was a chilling night.

 

“I don't like shoes. They hurt my feet. Also, it isn't much polite.”

 

“Polite?”

 

“We shouldn't wear shoes when entering important places...”

 

“Why is this place important? It's just a building.”

 

“Many people come here to die. It's important for them. It's the last place they chosed to be while living. It would be rude of me if I disrespected that by being shod.”

 

Tiffany blinked surprised. “That's...nice of you.” She admitted amazed by the respectfulness.

 

“It's the least I could do.” She responded with a nod.

 

“Have you seen many people die?”

 

“Countless.”

 

“Is that why you are upliffting?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

Tiffany got silent wondering how many people that girl saw jumping that edge and smashing to the ground. Had she ever actually saved anyone? Had she really respected people's choice?

 

“Have you changed your mind?” Taeyeon asked now turning her face towards Tiffany.

 

“What?”

 

“Your feet is rather distant from the edge now.” She pointed it out. Tiffany looked at her own feet and caught herself a little bit a far from her initial spot. Her toes were steadily touching the ground and Tiffany hadn't noticed her body was slightly turned to the right, getting closer to Taeyeon's.

 

“I...” And she consciously stepped backwards. Somehow, the fall she was able to stare before now was leaving her nauseous. “I think it's better...go home.”

 

Taeyeon nodded, giving Tiffany a warm smile. “Goodbye, Tiffany Hwang.”

 

“Goodbye, Taeyeon.”

 

Taeyeon stood sit on the edge, still looking up. Tiffany was ready to leave but she ended up looking back, frowning her eyes towards the mysterious girl. Is that what she really needed? A random stranger for a company?

 

She sighed, feeling relieved, and decided to go away. Maybe the girl was right. Maybe what she needed was another day. One only good day amongst the ty ones.

 

Going back home, walking through the streets of the night, Tiffany's anxious grew bigger. Her eyes fixed on the shadows of the road but still nothing was found. She quicken her own pace as the hair of her body got up feeling eerie about something.

 

She was being watched.

 

She knew she was being watched. She could feel it. With all her might.

 

She stopped midway. Her warm breath quickly pacing up. “T-Taeyeon?” She muttered calling for the name that probably was stalking her. “Please...go away.”

 

Tiffany didn't stay for a response, her steps became faster and she hugged herself trying to feel warmer and safer.

 

It didn't work though.

 

It was getting colder and colder as the dawn was dusky and starting to be foggy. Seoul was a luminous multicultural crowded 24 hours city but even so, there were places that, when the night was out, could be pitch dark and deserted. Those places were great for murderers and rapists.

 

Tiffany was just passing though one of those places. A small quare, with trees, swings and see-saw's for children.

 

She had to walk for some time till finding a train station. Yet she was afraid she couldn't make it till there.

 

Was it a following her?

 

Tiffany looked back yet no one was there. Again.

 

Her heart was beating fast, now anxious and afraid of what could happen. She heard a skreeking noise and quickly turned around, startled by the sound of the old metal see-saw, which one of the sides had just hit the ground.

 

She needed to go.

 

Her legs however seemed to turn into stones as she felt hard to move them. Her hands trembled rapidly as her breathing was panting hard.

 

There was something behind her.

 

Its presence was felt by all her senses.

 

Gulping hard, Tiffany turned her face slightly to the side, ther corner of her eyes took the glimpse of a large grey skinny foot. It wasn't a normal foot. It wasn't a human foot. Its toes were bony and protuberants and the nails; thick, long and yellowish.

 

She stepped forward and when her eyes finally rested on the creature's face, Tiffany wanted to scream. It was  cadaveric and demoniac. Blank and round grey eyes were staring at her. The creature had no nose and its mouth was just a black hole, no lips, no teeth, no tongue.

 

Tiffany felt her legs become jelly and when she tried to run, feeling terrified, she actually tripped on her own feet. Her shoes squeezed her feet and without having second thoughts, she took them off and started to run barefoot for her life.

 

She wasn't fast.

 

And she didn't need to look backwards to sense the creature was right behind her.

 

And then a strong push came and Tiffany felt her back get hurt and her face burn when it met the asphalt of the deserted road. Standing on her elbows, she started to crawl backwards having her eyes staring at the cavernous creature. Tears quickly ran down her over her cheeks.

 

“Please...” She muttered, her voice whined and cracked. “Don't kill me...” Her eyes burned as she wasn't blinking in fear that the creature could kill her by any second. Her heart viciously pumping, doing its best it could to maintain her alive. Why she never really fully appreciated it? Why she never really thanked it for being so strong for those 17 years?

 

''Life is supposed to end. That's good. It's what gives it...value.”

 

I'm gonna die. Tiffany realized.

 

“Help...” She moaned, seeing the monster opening her unearthly mouth. Would it eat her?

 

''Why do you think I can do anything?''

 

''Because you are alive! It's a big thing. It's sad that it ends but that's exactly what make it so big. It's what makes it worthy... and precious. No matter how bad life is one good day is all you need. One good day is enough to have hope for a lifetime. You shouldn't discard life. Life is full of possibilities. Being alive is rather underrated.''

 

A good day.

 

Would that day be her last? Would she never have a good day again? Tiffany felt more tears ran down her face. “Please...somebody...help me...” She whined.

 

''Have you changed your mind?”

 

Right there, meeting the face of what would be de devil himself, Tiffany found herself desperate.

 

Desperate to live.

 

She didn't wanted to die. She couldn't die.

 

She needed to tell her father she wanted to go to a Fashion School.

 

She needed to take him to the park and have ice cream and eat a bagel.

 

She wanted to see the fireworks during the summerfestivals.

 

She had people to prove wrong.

 

“SOMEBODY HELP ME!” She cried. The creature released a screech sound, making Tiffany crawl in fear. “PLEASE! SOMEBODY! I don't wanna die.” Tiffany closed her eyes, clenching her teeth strongly. “I don't wanna die... I.WANT TO LIVE!”

 

And suddenly a cracking noise was heard.

 

Tiffany opened her eyes startled by the noise and they caught the sight of the creature on the floor. Unmoving. Deceased. Its head was completely twisted backwards.

 

In silence, Tiffany looked upward and she gulped, reckongnizing the small pale barefooted figure wearing just a plain black jacket and jeans ahead.

 

“T-Tae..yeon?”

 

“Hello again, Tiffany Hwang.” She greeted her. Taeyeon offered her hand and Tiffany took it, grimacing when feeling the icy cold skin. Yet she kept hold of it. Taeyeon pulled her up and Tiffany let her head sink on the girl's shoulder. Even if the girl was shorter than her, it was still comforting. Quickly, Tiffany felt her vision becomes blurry and her head tilted dizzy. “It's about time you go to bed.”

 

And then Tiffany closed her eyes.


 

English is not my first language so you may find some grammar and spelling mistakes. I hope it doesn't bother anyone. 

HelloTFK: The title of the fic is based on the movie Let the Right one In, w hich I like more than the amerian verson of it, but the story as a whole it's not based on the movies. Well it will have some influnces as I really like those stories but tthe characters are bit different from Oskar/Eli(Abby). I really enjoy that you are so pumped up for the fic but I ask you to not have high expectations because sometimes high expectation are not a good thing, What if I'm a bad writer? What if my story is cliche? I hope you have enjoyed this first chapter it will be nice to see you view about it, (reading about your profile I noticed you like dark-themed fics, so it will be nice to see your reviews). Thanks for the comment.

And thanks for everyone who subscribed so far. It's my first GG (K-Pop) fanfiction so I was surprised by the amount of the followers. 

Tell me what you guys think about the chapter and characters and what I could improve.

I wanna be a (comic book) writer so any tips will help. 

Best Regards, =)