Breaking The Silence (And Igniting The Spark)

My Eunhae Drabbles

Rating/Warning: none, only a first kiss on the last part

Finally my brain came up with something fluff. :3

 


 

 

Breaking The Silence (And Igniting The Spark)

 

Donghae and Hyukjae were best friends since they first met in kindergarten. Hyukjae had always been a quiet child while Donghae was a bundle of happy energy mixed with sunshine smiles. They balanced each other well. Hyukjae would occasionally laugh out loud at Donghae’s antics while Donghae found himself enjoying the silence when they were lying under the big old tree on Hyukjae’s backyard. He’d be cloud watching while Hyukjae buried his face in his newest pirate storybook.

Their dynamics didn’t change much even after they reached puberty and entered the awkward teenager years. Donghae started to have more friends. They were his teammates from his soccer club. He’d spend Fridays practicing his dribble and goal shoots. He’d hang out with them on Saturdays. But his Sundays were always reserved for Hyukjae, because after a day of sweating his off and a day of endless chatter, it was nice to just spend his day lazing around on the thick plush carpet on Hyukjae’s bedroom.

Hyukjae himself had found a new friend, a junior from school who he often met at the library. But even if he spent his Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings sharing tables and books with Kyuhyun, Hyukjae was always home on Sundays. He would watch Donghae dozing off while hugging his giant monkey plushie, the one Donghae won for him at the arcade, and he’d smile his gummiest smile whenever Donghae twitched his nose in his sleep.

On the Sundays, they never talked much. Hyukjae would read his book while lounging on his bed, while Donghae would roll around in the carpet, doing absolutely nothing but breathed the same air as Hyukjae. Occasionally he would watch Hyukjae. He’d study the face that had become so dear to him. His eyes would rove over the cute nose, the single lidded almond eyes, the plump lips and the jawline that he secretly dubbed The Jawline. And he would feel a little spark somewhere in his chest.

And although Hyukjae pretended to read, he was actually counting Donghae’s breath. Listening to the gentle inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale and he’d time his own breathing to match Donghae’s. When Donghae fell asleep, he’d set his book aside and feasted his eyes on the face that always appeared in his dreams. He would study the thick brows, the aquiline nose, the thin lips and the strong jaw. And he’d feel a small spark jolting his heart.

One warm Sunday afternoon, Donghae had foregone the thick carpet and plopped down on Hyukjae’s bed instead. The other boy only smiled and scooted over to make more room. When he finally dozed off, Donghae somehow ended up half squishing half crowding Hyukjae to the wall. The soft snores Donghae produced made the discomfort bearable and it wasn’t long before Hyukjae joined him in sleep.

When he woke up, Donghae had never felt so rested before. The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was the back of Hyukjae’s neck. Somehow during their nap, the two boys had ended up in a very intimate position. Donghae was spooning Hyukjae with Hyukjae’s back pulled flushed against Donghae’s chest. Donghae had his arms around Hyukjae’s waist, caging the older boy while their legs tangled together.

He grunted in surprise, causing Hyukjae to stir awake. Hyukjae yawned and wiggled around so he came face to face with Donghae. He blinks sleepily at his best friend and smiled lazily when he saw the brown eyes staring back at him.

They have never been this close to each other before and Hyukjae found himself drowning in the chocolate pools that were Donghae’s eyes. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Donghae realized that he still had his arms around Hyukjae, and the warmth that radiated from Hyukjae’s body made him want to melt.

Without meaning to, Donghae’s eyes flickered to Hyukjae’s smiling lips, and he unconsciously his own thin ones. Hyukjae felt his heart beat faster and for a dizzying second he had a crazy thought of wanting to kiss Donghae.

“I want to kiss you too.” Donghae whispered.

Oh.’ Apparently he had said that out loud. ‘Might as well go all the way.’ Hyukjae thought before he said what he always wanted to say to Donghae.

“I think I’m in love with you.” He whispered with a small unsure smile on his lips.

“I know I’m in love with you.” Donghae replied, his smile was more confident and wide, giving Hyukjae a glimpse of the adorable crooked teeth..

The room descended into silence once again. It was warm and comforting and settled around them like a gentle blanket.

And bathed in the warm afternoon sun that filtered through the window, Donghae and Hyukjae learned that silence should never be broken by sound, especially if it descended after a heartfelt confession.

It should only be broken by a kiss.

Donghae’s eyes fluttered close as Hyukjae leaned in. Their soft breaths mingling and at the first gentle brush of lips against lips, Donghae felt the tiny spark erupted into a bonfire in his chest. And as he deepened their kiss, Hyukjae knew beyond the shadow of doubt that this fire which Donghae ignited, would burn forever inside of him.